I Came, I Saw, I Screwed It Up!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

  • And thus it came to pass that after sitting down at the feet of the Master @2DSick, I ventured forth from the Goosefeather Brush in search of equipment.

    At first I purchase some white primer & grey paint in a bottle, thinking to simply go over the old paint job, but when I presented this proposal to the Master, he demonstrated the gentle English coaching technique know as Ecky Thump.

    Then he spoke:

    "Wise man says: Painting is like Brazilian waxing - do it properly, or there will be tears..."

    Damn! So after looking around, I finally got a can of grey all-purpose paint that would not dissolve my plastic model on first contact. The next step was to strip off that old paint, so I bought a bottle of Dettol Concentrate, because I knew I'd need a lot to cover the model. Turns out this model is a monster to remove from its base after supergluing, and very few containers can accommodate its sea-urchin shape easily.

    I first tried putting it in a plastic tub 4/5 covered with a plastic cap to keep off the rain, flipping it over a few times a day - but when I came to scrubbing it off with a toothbrush it was a disaster. Gunk everywhere, paint stains everywhere, and stink everywhere - so again, I went out and got a bigger container, repeated the process, and the second time it worked - not fun spending an hour outside on a cold rainy day, but after just two weeks of screwing things up I had achieved THIS!


    The next day it was time to prime. What could possible go wrong right? Well... :thinking:

    I carefully read the instructions by glancing at the pictures. Apparently I needed to use a screwdriver to make sure it worked. Placing it carefully on the tiles outside, I pushed delicately at it. Luckily for me it was a lovely day. So when I blasted half my face and glasses with all-purpose primer, I knew it would dry fast: WITNESS ME!...It only took about 2 hours to wash off too. :wall:

    But now I had achieved THIS!

    Grey Primer


    The next few weeks were spent on and off trying to squeeze in 30 minutes here and there to either basecoat or wash the skin. I haven't worried too much about splashing the horns and spines, and I used a blend of Amy Painter's Matt White (2/3) & Necrotic Flesh (1/3) for the color and Citadel Earthshade for the wash.

    It's not perfect by any means, but I plan to use the ancient WotDG cop-out of splattered blood effects to cover the ugliest bits.

    So, as of now, it looks like THIS!

    Coat & Washes
    So far my 4 year old daughter has helped do all the washes, but she has mentioned many times that she is looking forward to doing the spikey bits next. We look forward to taking the next step on The Way of the Goosefeather Brush... :charge2:

    <3 Stepping down to focus on the latest addition to the family! Three kids means we now form a complete rank! <3

    415 times read