9th Age US Masters

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Truckeye wrote:

you could run a US Masters Qualifier and we could all spread the word. Only allow US players (somehow verify? lol) and see how that goes. One of the initial reasons to consider UB is those players that are stuck in KoW areas that all the events went to KoW. They only have the chance for long travels, UB, or small events.
      If we could get the word out that would work as well. I just didn't have the connections to contact the US regions, so my plan was to keep growing the UB international tournament, until a US break a way could be spit out. The easiest way to verify it would have them register here and input their location on the map. Yes, a European could sneak in, but they would also suffer from the time difference as well. And even if they won, it would do nothign for them since they couldn't participate in the US masters even anyway.

The limited coverage of 9th age, is indeed another reason I would like to see, at least initially UB included. My local scene is me and one other guy, luckily being in milwaukee I am centrally located enough that I can reasonably make it to a fair number of tournaments when my schedule allows. But if I was deep in KoW territory I would be SoL.

Not that I even think I am going to qualify for masters, but having a ranking system that can be used as a general gauge of how you perform I find motivating.
      “You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.” -Lan Mandragoran, EotW

Dovie’andi se tovya sagain.
    • It is growing the community. A) motivation to attend more events B) motivation for others who went to other systems to come back because they miss the community C) great way to get players talking across regions to reestablish the community. D) have the groundwork in place for a better Masters when more areas/players are interested. Players/events bolted to KoW because of Masters. By giving them a better alternative, we can get some of those guys back.

IMO to many who was the best isnt really important. Its a great excuse for very good players to meet up and have a go, while doing what we enjoy. Besides we all know the best person/team doesnt always win a tourney. Just watch sports.
      US Masters Representative for the Midwest
      Beast Herds Army Support (retired)

buckeyebattles.com

The post was edited 1 time, last by Truckeye ().

• Angrymiguel wrote:

I think we are a bit ahead of ourselves. We have a new community. We don't have a nationwide community yet. Its the Midwest and the MA. I am working on growing the game instead of worrying about who's the best. I think its too soon.
      I think that might be the intent for a very few people. Usually the Masters for 90% of the room is a way to get together and drink a load of beer and see friends from across the country only a few people come with the intent of crushing all opponents and gobbling the tears like Eric Cartman does to Scott.

masters would be a great thing for the new community, a way to keep us connected over state lines and a place for people to aspire to achieve to.

Also, have we thought about having it at atomic empire? I know its a little out the way in Durham, NC but it: let's us drink, has experience hosting premiere events and the hotel is less than 5 minutes away. Plus there's a nice bar scene near duke and unc.
    • Gym Shorts wrote:

Where is the bar scene near duke and UNC...?
      I believe there is a cover charge to get in and you have to keep your hands in your pockets, but Brad and Brandon can show us where it is. LOL
      B. "Skunk Butt" Jones - Member of the CGL :oldmen:
      • YES! My conquest is complete! I now have every Army and my bias will be for Every L.A.B. to be great!. :thumbsup:

DL/ADT - TT

Campaign Design-Broken Isles

Freelance Design

Playtester-Mid Atlantic USA

CGL 2018 Worst Player Winner

• Here is my view/opinion on the Masters....
      In recent years, it was not always the top players who went to Masters. Many of the top guys couldn't go, and so invitations to lower and lower ranked players kept going out in hopes of filling the rosters. I say do away with that. We don't have to make this a Super Bowl event...we can make it more like a Pro Bowl event. We can't be so high-brow and exclusive so that it alienates new players. I have a vision of the Masters being more like the old "Games Days" were we can get together and showcase all aspects of the hobby. This will help promote our hobby to the outside world instead of keeping it in house with the same handful of people every year. We can still hold a Grand Tournament of Champions at these which is fine and will also be part of the draw; but we have to kill two birds here if we want this hobby to grab future players. I, like many of you here, were a part of these old Games Days and it isn't/shouldn't be that hard to put together.

As for the Grand Tournament standings, I don't agree on the weights put on one size event versus another. The bigger the event, the more chances there are to submarine, thus skewing the results. What if the 10 man had 8 of the top region players in it and the 40 still only had the same 8? Now there is more of a chance to be paired versus a top player in the small event. If I play in 5 - 3 game events, then I will have played 15 players. These are more easily run as a TO and more easily attended by players. The 2 day 5 game events are awesome social events. However, if a player can only afford to attend 2 of those in the same time span as 5 - 1 days, then he is 10 games to 15...so how does that skew results? This new tech called UB? I haven't tried it, but a lot of guys in our club swear by it. So why not include it? It holds the same skill as a real life event and in many ways it will be easier to draw in new players. This could really be a great tool in getting newbies into the tournament scene so that they can see what armies to buy, build, how to play, how to speed up the game, etc. I agree to use this new tool, but I also agree to cap the number of these events that actually count toward a player's final ranking. The reason I say this, is because hypothetically, a player can play this without owning a single model. So what if a player racks up the scores and is the top player to the Masters, but can't because he doesn't have an actual army. Booo!

I say we keep the regions as is, for simplistic and logistic reasons. I second the notion of making UB events an out of region event that can sub a score. I say that qualifiers need to be posted as such. 1 day events must have at least 14 players to be counted as a Master's Qualifier. I don't want 1 day practice events that pop up to suddenly count as qualifiers. They need to be advertised in advance and meet the attendance requirement. 2 day events need to have 20, which shouldn't be a problem for most areas, but again I don't want to see regions excluded because 9th is new and everyone else is playing KoW. If a Masters GT is put together, then I think that 6 events should make up a player's qualifying score. With the addition of UB and 1 days this, too, shouldn't be hard for players. If you TO an event, then you should get a score credit as well.

Those are my ramblings.
      • YES! My conquest is complete! I now have every Army and my bias will be for Every L.A.B. to be great!. :thumbsup:

DL/ADT - TT

Freelance Design

• skipschnit wrote:

In recent years, it was not always the top players who went to Masters. Many of the top guys couldn't go, and so invitations to lower and lower ranked players kept going out in hopes of filling the rosters. I say do away with that. We don't have to make this a Super Bowl event...we can make it more like a Pro Bowl event. We can't be so high-brow and exclusive so that it alienates new players. I have a vision of the Masters being more like the old "Games Days" were we can get together and showcase all aspects of the hobby. This will help promote our hobby to the outside world instead of keeping it in house with the same handful of people every year. We can still hold a Grand Tournament of Champions at these which is fine and will also be part of the draw; but we have to kill two birds here if we want this hobby to grab future players. I, like many of you here, were a part of these old Games Days and it isn't/shouldn't be that hard to put together.
      I agree completely,
      Along that thought line regardless of who gets invites I think they way to really draw players would be to do some or all of the following considering the US Masters:
      -Stream the event so that players not going could at least watch. I think it would be very interesting for some top players not playing to provide a little commentary on the games etc.
      -Have Masters tables, but open the event to members and others on separate tables, would be nice to play alongside some of the pros and see the games. Also would gather a lot of new blood both casual and more competitive. Especially if moved regions every year.
      -Include other events, such as T9A version of the golden demon, team tourneys, Best US 2v2s, scenarios, maybe even include best new model for T9A as model companies get onboard, UB US Masters. Again would cater to casual, team oriented players, and those that are on just the hobby side.

Angrymiguel wrote:

I think we are a bit ahead of ourselves. We have a new community. We don't have a nationwide community yet. Its the Midwest and the MA. I am working on growing the game instead of worrying about who's the best. I think its too soon.
      I understand this point but many games taking it into the tournament scene and allowing an audience for it that can feel involved and be a part of it, outside of playing in the main event, has catapulted a lot of games. I can think of the recent era of videogames that showcasing their Masters has evolved their player base leaps and bounds. Plus, many gamers are not casual gamers, but if an event like I pointed out catered to professionals, casuals, and hobbyists as sort of a pinnacle event would really help intermingle and solidify the community. Such an event would also help foster pockets of players connecting outside of on this site. Lastly, any game of skill really needs some sort of ranking system, we are competitive it is human nature.
    • 9th Age Play by Play announcers...the newest gig in gaming. "Boom! That's gotta Hurt" Who wants to be the Madden of Mayhem? That would be entertaining for sure.

DL/ADT - TT

Freelance Design

• Just to chime in - @Frederick and other high executive members are currently working on an official tournament pack. The goal is to have common standards and branding the tournament as "official 9th Age tournaments" if they meet the specified criteria. This includes a minimum number of participants as well as certain organisational minimum standards.

If you know magic the gathering then you will probably be already familiar with Pro Tours, Grand Prixs, FNMs ect.

The tournament regulation pack will have different levels of events as well, starting from small events hosted in hobby stores to ETC like events.

I hope that I was able to help you a bit and provided some insights that might be of interest for you :)

Regards,
      Philip
      Fantasy Battles: The 9th Age Founding Member

ETC 2012 2nd Place
      ETC 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 Participant

Rules Questions?
      Moderator Requests
    • eggsPR wrote:

Having said all that, why not ask the 9th Age originators for their input? Perhaps the executive committee and rules committees can guide our American community in the direction they'd best see fit to increase awareness for their game? I don't have all the answers, but that may be a good start. We've already abandoned their scoring rule sets with most major US GTs <60 days after version 1.0 dropped, the least we could do would be to ask their opinion of what a "9th Age Master" would be?

Sir_Joker wrote:

Just to chime in - @Frederick and other high executive members are currently working on an official tournament pack. The goal is to have common standards and branding the tournament as "official 9th Age tournaments" if they meet the specified criteria. This includes a minimum number of participants as well as certain organisational minimum standards.

If you know magic the gathering then you will probably be already familiar with Pro Tours, Grand Prixs, FNMs ect.

The tournament regulation pack will have different levels of events as well, starting from small events hosted in hobby stores to ETC like events.

I hope that I was able to help you a bit and provided some insights that might be of interest for you :)

Regards,
      Philip
      Thank you @Sir_Joker
      2012 ETC Ireland - WoC
      2013 ETC Ireland - VC
      2014 ETC Wales - DE
      2015 ETC USA - WoC
      2016 ETC USA (c) - VC
      2016 ETC Chairman
      2017 ETC USA (c) - VC
      2018 ETC USA (c) - VC