Tutorial - How to make combo base for HBE Dragon/Ancient Dragon

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Tutorial - How to make combo base for HBE Dragon/Ancient Dragon

Hi again!

I've seen a lot of discussion about recent change of legal base size for HBE ancient dragon and so I wanted to share with you what have I done in that matter.

The main idea is that you do not have to rebase your Dragon, you can have both!

What you need:
      • Two legal bases (for Dragon 50x100mm and for Ancient Dragon 100x150mm) - you can also magnetize your dragon base - more on that later
      • A sheet of magnetic metal
      • Super Glue and White Glue
      • 3x2 magnets (2mm high, 3mm diameter)
      • Sand
      • Paints: black (for painting sand) and brown (for painting base rim)
      Step 1:
      Cut the metal sheet into proper size to fit on 100x150mm base - remember that this is the dimension for the lowest part of the base - the top of the base is somewhat smaller)
      Maj 2016 245 a.jpg

Step 2:
      Glue sheet metal onto bigger base
      Maj 2016 248 a.jpg

Step 3:
      Attach four magnets under the corners of the smaller base using super glue
      Maj 2016 254 a.jpg

Step 4:
      Cover the sheet metal on the bigger base with white glue and pour it with sand
      Maj 2016 266 a.jpg Maj 2016 270 a.jpg Maj 2016 274 a.jpg

Step 5:
      When the sand/glue dries paint it any colour you like as long as it's black
      Maj 2016 284 a.jpg

Step 6:
      If you like, paint the rim of the bases with Graveyard Earth / Steel Legion Drab colour
      Maj 2016 287 a.jpg

Step 7:
      Drybrush the base with Longbeard Grey
      Maj 2016 293 a.jpg

Done!
      Maj 2016 295 a.jpg Maj 2016 298 a.jpg

Now you probably have noticed that I do not have a Dragon on the smaller base yet - he is still to be painted - but using this method allows you to quickly and effectively switch between Dragon and Ancient Dragon - just put the smaller magnetized base onto larger one and voila!

I hope this tutorial will help any players that were wondering what to do after rules team changed base size for Ancient Dragon.
      Please post any comments/ideas/suggestions you might have!

Art.

Advisory Board

Head of Tool Support

Tool Support - Battlescribe

Santa's little helper

• To be honest, I find the whole idea of two different base sizes for dragons strange. So I don't get why we would even have to do this...I am going to bother with this for sure.

I applaud your effort to show how one might get around this new obstacle that has been introduced. However, for me personally it won't cut it. I'm too much of a perfectionist and focus a lot of a great visual representation. So for me it would have to be done in a way where you could almost not see that the smaller base has been placed on a bigger one...which is IMO very obvious in your version. That, of course, requires a lot more work so again...won't happen for my part.
      Commission painting: IpaintUplay
      My WDG blog
    • Thanks for your comment @Laurfelt !

The idea of combo base is just a quick fix for an issue of different sized based.

Ideally one can just buy two totally different dragon models and base them appropriately.
      I own only one model and will paint it so that it can be used as a Young Dragon, Dragon and Ancient Dragon - that's why I needed interchangeable bases.

Laurfelt wrote:

So for me it would have to be done in a way where you could almost not see that the smaller base has been placed on a bigger one...which is IMO very obvious in your version.
      You are right that smaller base will stand out, but that can still be mitigated by adding flock, rocks and other materials to the bigger base.
      Or even converting it, so that is has some kind of rectangular concave where 50x100m base would fit perfectly.

Advisory Board

Head of Tool Support

Tool Support - Battlescribe

Santa's little helper

• Laurfelt wrote:

To be honest, I find the whole idea of two different base sizes for dragons strange. So I don't get why we would even have to do this...I am going to bother with this for sure.

I applaud your effort to show how one might get around this new obstacle that has been introduced. However, for me personally it won't cut it. I'm too much of a perfectionist and focus a lot of a great visual representation. So for me it would have to be done in a way where you could almost not see that the smaller base has been placed on a bigger one...which is IMO very obvious in your version. That, of course, requires a lot more work so again...won't happen for my part.
      Cut the dragon base model (so the stone ruins for the High Elf Dragon from GW) off the base, magnetize the bottom or it.

Build two bases of the proper size, cover top with magnetizable metal. Set the Magnetized model on base 1, flock and colour the base. Pull off, flock and colour the other base. The dragon model now moves between both with no indication the model isn't permanently connected to either base. Done, simple.
    • You're both absolutely right. I could "just" buy multiple bases, models, etc and "easily" convert or magnetise the bases.

My point is maybe just, that this is a lot of time/money to spend on something that feels like a whim of the rules team. What's going to happen in half a year...will they go back to only chariot bases again? And then I just wasted a lot of time or money?

IMO I don't see why this is even an issue. The dragons have been around for so long and people have been putting them on chariot bases. So that should be the starting point for the rules team. Again in my opinion.

The concern is also that new players will see this as an obstacle to enter the hobby. They may be young kids with limited funds and may not be able to buy extra bases and magnets, or find it a bit confusing that a dragon they bought at GW suddenly needs a new base.
      Commission painting: IpaintUplay
      My WDG blog
    • Laurfelt wrote:

You're both absolutely right. I could "just" buy multiple bases, models, etc and "easily" convert or magnetise the bases.
      I'm not seeing how this is that hard for you. I cut bases for all of my fellow players this last weekend out of MDF board, the whole sheet costs about $5 and provides all of the 50x50 to 100x150 bases a group could ever need, just use that, there's no need to go and buy large model bases.

As to why it was done: balance. Dragons have been around for so long, and their bases have changed, and the largest base size available in the game has changed SIGNIFICANTLY as well over the years.

If this is the great obstacle that prevents a new player from entering the hobby, then I'm confident in saying that to such a player, any obstacle at all would be an insurmountable one.