Cover on hills

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• Under the rules for Hills...

'Cover: A unit partially on a Hill counts the Hill as Soft Terrain.
      A unit completely off a Hill counts the Hill as Hard Terrain.'

Hard Terrain...

'Units in, on or obscured by Hard Terrain benefit from Hard Cover if half or more of the unit’s Footprint is obscured from
      a shooter’s Line of Sight. Models always ignore the Terrain Piece they are currently inside.'

I read it that if a unit on a hill counts as being in hard terrain and a unit in Hard Terrain benefits from Hard Cover then there is a -2 penalty for shooting at a unit on a hill.
    • The hill grants hard cover to units completely behind the hill

If you stand with a corner on the hill you have LoS past the hill and enemies shooting at you get -1 (soft cover). You always ignore the cover you are in/on yourself.
      Rules Questions?

ETC 2016 - Referee
      ETC 2017 Warm-up Herford - Head Judge
      ETC 2017 Salamanca - Head Judge
      ETC 2018 - Team Sweden - Ogre Khans
      ETC 2019 - Team Sweden
    • I had the same question, the OP had. The wording is weird. In our last tournament guys were taking soft cover bonuses for units completely on the hill.

the rule book states "'Cover: A unit partially on a Hill counts the Hill as Soft Terrain." which implies if you put at least part of your unit on the hill then you get a soft cover bonus. I think it should say something like: "A unit wholly behind a hill is obscured, a unit that is both partially behind a hill and partially on a hill receives a soft cover bonus".

Keep up the good worth 9th team.
    • Korpacz wrote:

I had the same question, the OP had. The wording is weird. In our last tournament guys were taking soft cover bonuses for units completely on the hill.

the rule book states "'Cover: A unit partially on a Hill counts the Hill as Soft Terrain." which implies if you put at least part of your unit on the hill then you get a soft cover bonus. I think it should say something like: "A unit wholly behind a hill is obscured, a unit that is both partially behind a hill and partially on a hill receives a soft cover bonus".

Keep up the good worth 9th team.
      Then you are reading it wrong, hills are always Obscuring terrain, you don't get bonuses for obscuring terrain by standing on them, you get cover for being obscured by them.

More than 50% of units footprint on hill = no cover and large height for LoS purposes.

Less than 50% = soft cover and your normal height for LoS purposes.

Completely off = hard cover if atleast 50% of the unit is obscured by the hill
      Rules Questions?

ETC 2016 - Referee
      ETC 2019 - Team Sweden
    • thx @jimmygrill

@Lagerlof
      Well I have to say that I played it wrong.
      The wording is bad in the rule book imo. You have to think that not all are native English speaker and for me is the "partially on a hill part" also weird because we all assumed we get light cover on the hill.

Which makes somewhat sense because you have to shoot up the hill which is harder then shooting normally.

I would propose to reword this part of the rulebook. I assume there is a high number of people who play it wrong. Especially if there are already threads who ask for clarification
    • Klexe wrote:

thx @jimmygrill

@Lagerlof
      Well I have to say that I played it wrong.
      The wording is bad in the rule book imo. You have to think that not all are native English speaker and for me is the "partially on a hill part" also weird because we all assumed we get light cover on the hill.

Which makes somewhat sense because you have to shoot up the hill which is harder then shooting normally.

I would propose to reword this part of the rulebook. I assume there is a high number of people who play it wrong. Especially if there are already threads who ask for clarification
      I'm a native english speaker. The wording could be better - reminds me of GW's rule writing. Given all that's been accomplished by the 9th team it's a tiny imperfection. Still, it could be written more clearly in the next patch.

*edit - For the record, the people I play are native english speakers and they are playing the rule wrong as well.
    • Klexe wrote:

it all boils down to the part:
      "..Partially on the hill...."
      Because a unit fully on the hill is also partially on the hill.
      Agree, but a hill is obscuring terrain, so if standing on the hill granted soft cover, how would anyone off the hill claim hard cover? Or would everyone not standing on a hill be in hard cover? :P

Any suggestions on how to make it clearer? @Korpacz? I'll forward it to the RT
      Rules Questions?

ETC 2016 - Referee
      ETC 2019 - Team Sweden
    • Lagerlof wrote:

Klexe wrote:

Agree, but a hill is obscuring terrain, so if standing on the hill granted soft cover, how would anyone off the hill claim hard cover? Or would everyone not standing on a hill be in hard cover? :P
      Any suggestions on how to make it clearer? @Korpacz? I'll forward it to the RT
      As Klexe stated, the rule claims: if partially on the hill soft cover is provided. logically if you're completely on the hill you are also partially on the hill, thus you get soft cover. If the rule stated "if partially on the hill and at the same time 50% or more obscured by the hill, soft cover is provided."
    • Lagerlof wrote:

More than 50% of units footprint on hill = no cover and large height for LoS purposes.

Less than 50% = soft cover and your normal height for LoS purposes.

Completely off = hard cover if atleast 50% of the unit is obscured by the hill
      The rulebook should be this clear.
      With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.
    • Korpacz wrote:

Lagerlof wrote:

Klexe wrote:

Agree, but a hill is obscuring terrain, so if standing on the hill granted soft cover, how would anyone off the hill claim hard cover? Or would everyone not standing on a hill be in hard cover? :P Any suggestions on how to make it clearer? @Korpacz? I'll forward it to the RT
      As Klexe stated, the rule claims: if partially on the hill soft cover is provided. logically if you're completely on the hill you are also partially on the hill, thus you get soft cover. If the rule stated "if partially on the hill and at the same time 50% or more obscured by the hill, soft cover is provided."
      A hill is obscuring terrain, and I think many mix up the different key words here. Soft terrain can grant soft cover, it does not equal soft cover automatically.

But there is no way to get cover from an obscuring terrain peice if you are not obscured by it.

"Obscuring Terrain
      Line of Sight cannot be drawn throughObscuring Terrain. SomeObscuring Terrain allows models to move in or on them(such as Hills), Line of Sight can be drawn into or out of (but never through) such Terrain Features."

Soft Terrain
      Units in, on or obscured by Soft Terrain benefit from Soft Cover if half or more of the unit’s Footprint is obscured from ashooter’s Line of Sight.

Hills
      Line of Sight: Hills are Obscuring Terrain.
      Cover: A unit partially on a Hill counts the Hill as Soft Terrain.A unit completely off a Hill counts the Hill as Hard Terrain.

@fjugin Looks like you need to make the rules for hills more clear, some players read the rules as standing on the hill also gave soft cover. Maybe just change the "A unit partially on a Hill counts the Hill as Soft Terrain" to "A unit partially (50 % or less of units footprint) on a Hill counts the Hill as Soft Terrain
      Rules Questions?

ETC 2016 - Referee
      ETC 2019 - Team Sweden
    • next question:

Soft Terrain
      Units in, on or obscured by Soft Terrain benefit from SoftCover if half or more of the unit’s Footprint is obscured from ashooter’s Line of Sight.

What does this mean ? Only the front in which the enemy stays or the whole unit footprint ?

What I mean is example 10 models 5 on the hill and 5 off.

Enemy can see the 5 models full but can't the see other 5.

This means the enemy can see 100% of the front arc of the enemy unit footprint.

So only front footprint or full unit footprint ?
    • Apecc wrote:

To be honest: I'm totally confused right now ?(

Unit completely behind a hill --> Hard cover (-2)
      Unit partially behind a hill --> soft cover (-1)

Unit completely on a hill --> no cover, large hight
      Unit partially on a hill --> soft cover (-1)

?(
      You can't be partially behind the hill.

Off the hill, more than 50 % of the units footprint obscured from the shooter = hard cover.

Partially on the hill (either one corner of one model, or less than 50% of the units footprint), and more than 50% of the units footprint obscured from the shooter = soft cover. (Here you can have LoS over the hill, but you will count as your own height for LoS and cover purposes)

If 50% or more of your unit is on the hill, you get no cover and you counts as large height for LoS and cover purposes.
      Rules Questions?

ETC 2016 - Referee
      ETC 2019 - Team Sweden
    • Klexe wrote:

next question:

Soft Terrain
      Units in, on or obscured by Soft Terrain benefit from SoftCover if half or more of the unit’s Footprint is obscured from ashooter’s Line of Sight.

What does this mean ? Only the front in which the enemy stays or the whole unit footprint ?

What I mean is example 10 models 5 on the hill and 5 off.

Enemy can see the 5 models full but can't the see other 5.

This means the enemy can see 100% of the front arc of the enemy unit footprint.

So only front footprint or full unit footprint ?
      It says footprint, not front arc :P
      Rules Questions?

ETC 2016 - Referee
      ETC 2019 - Team Sweden