Canada and the US Masters

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Canada and the US Masters

I'm really excited about the rebirth of a fantasy tournament scene in North America!

That said, I have a question about what role, if any, Canadian players can have in the US Masters scene? I never really followed the masters circuit in 8th edition, so I am not sure how this worked in the past, but I'm curious how it might work going forward.

As a Canadian player, the reality for us is that often U.S. cities are closer to us than other Canadian ones. So it would make sense for us to join up with the different US regions. Is this an option for us? If so, how would this work on practice?
    • There were a few questions and issues (such as this) that came up while we were working on piecing together the Masters Committee that I didn't feel I should be making executive decisions on. I've compiled a list so the soon to be elected committee can address them right off the bat.

For the time being I've been trying to maintain the status quo and stick to the format of the previous Masters until we can get a group of elected volunteers (or at least who ran unopposed) to start making decisions.

I'm hoping they will allow Canadians in the Masters circuit. Precedent has apparently already been set in the Pacific North West.

In my mind, the more players we draw in; the better.

Stay tuned, as the committee should be solidified by in less than 7 days. Hopefully they'll be able to get the ball rolling on some of these details, logistics and issues.
    • The US Masters Committee is looking into including Canada into the mix this year.

We are in the very preliminary stages of discussion, but wanted to gauge interest from our brothers to the North.

If you have any interest in joining in the running for the US Masters (we may have to revise the title ;) ) please post here so we can get a feel for numbers.

Most likely, there will not be any sweeping changes this year due to time constraints (we're rather far into the year and are still hammering out the format), but would like to get an understanding in regards to what capacity Canadians might be interested in participating this year and in future years.

Are there enough tournaments in Canada to have it be it's own region in the future? With such a large physical area to cover, would there be enough tournaments to break it down into further regions? Are you even interested in joining in the circuit? Let us know your thoughts!
    • Heya! Adam from Bluenose Beatdown out in Halifax, NS.

We're running our first small tournie in 2 weeks and... you know, this scene has been picking up quite substantially over the last few months. We've linked up with some surround areas, as well, and are definitely looking to expand our presence throughout the Maritimes (New Brunswick and PEI, mainly... not sure what Newfoundland is up to).

I've shared this thread on the group page and we'd be more than happy to promote the hell out of it. Definitely some potential to get 9th Age into HalCon next fall (maybe a bit premature for this coming event).

Regardless, I'll have more info from our little neck of the woods in a couple of weeks once the tournie is finished up.

For those of you who are in and around the Right Coast in Canada, feel free to find us on facebook: Bluenose Beatdown. I think we still have a couple of slots open for the upcoming tournie. @Snorri Nosebiter would know better; he's doing the TO stuff... I just want to troll with my Daemons.
      Goblin, Daemon Legions and Warriors of the Dark Gods Player and 9th Age Staffer
      Follow my journey through the world of 9th Age HERE
    • Hey there folks the proposition of including Canada into the US Masters is an enticing one; (North American masters perhaps?).

From my point of view I would be thrilled to participate in an event bringing both of our countries together. With several tournaments running across the great white north, I am sure there will be interest. With regards to our own circuit I believe there are too few events currently; for it to be feasible.

There have been 2 maybe 3 substantial events to date this year, one in Montreal and another across the pond. Which to me seems woefully inadequate to host our own regional circuit. With the inclusion into the US masters we would have a feasible means in which to participate. (Besides flights are cheap) (ish)

In regards to our local bloodbath we have around 25 members several of which are active and play weekly or bi-weekly. With our first beatdown on the 24th of July there is lots of interest and buzz currently. I am looking to expand this group into a maritime group (NS,NB,PEI and NL) so we can start hosting larger events in the future. Something Ozzy (Skargit) brought up which peaked my interest would be hosting a tournament at our Local "Hal-Con".

For those that don't know "Hal-Con" is a fairly substantial event that happens yearly drawing several thousand guests into downtown halifax (most bars per capita in NA guys) in the usual comic con style. They have been host to a fairly large Warhammer Fantasy event for years and with some coercion we could fit a 50 player event. (Maybe more)

If anyone is interested in getting to know us and perhaps joining the Bluenose Beatdown feel free to find us on Facebook! If you would like to discuss anything further please feel free to send me a message here or email me at peter.doane123@gmail.com

May the Dice Gods be With You!

-Snorri
    • And if I can add to Snorri's post, in the most substantial way possible: many of said bars are open til 4am year-round and the Alexander Keith's brewery offers drinking tours. Nothing like getting a few beer into you on the side of the Atlantic Ocean and going to throw some dice down.

You know.

Priorities.
    • We have a growing group in Alberta. Although in its infancy, is comprised of many competitive players carrying over from WHFB. Several of us had always had an eye on Masters and even ETC. In the past members of our community worked hard to establish an Alberta GT circuit, where qualifying events would feed into an annual Championship based on rankings at events throughout the season. At the time, there were 10 qualifying events each year that fed into this.
      The hope is that we will reach the same frequency of events for 9th Age as well. Once we do, we would have a great system in place for measuring qualification to represent the region.
      Our difficulty in Canada is geographical, and always will be. It is always a full day's travel to get to an event that is not in your own town. Often it requires air travel at the expense $300+, then likely hotel cost above that. There are no quick day trips around here. Hence, it is quite difficult for us to establish an integrated community beyond our home province. Alberta's population of nearly 5 million may seem small in comparison with US regions, so the question is "does that warrant it's own Regional designation"? Equally, I feel it is unreasonable to have only one Canadian region. Partly because of the geographical spread (being the 2nd largest country on the globe), but predominantly because many of the players will never have even heard of each other. I would lobby for at least 2 regions (East and West) once we get established with event frequency.
      This is all theorizing at this point, of course. I felt I wanted to post it here for future reference, though. And to hopefully spur some discussion amongst other Canadians that are working towards the same goal.
    • I like the 2-region idea.

It's not so awful for Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes to unite as a single region (even as far out as the Maritimes, NewLeaf airlines should make things fairly affordable for travel from here, out to either province, and vice versa).
    • I would love to have Canada have a "US" Masters presence and members in the council. Figuring out regions, interest, and representatives will require some work, but if we can pull it off I think it would be a terrific way to combine the Western Community. :)
    • Again with some future thoerizing...
      Geographically it is often easier for a Canadian to travel to a US city to play an event. than across provinces. For instance, Vancouver can access Seattle and Portland far easier than coming to Alberta. While we can more easily reach Montana or Idaho. I can similarly imagine someone from Florida or New Mexico travelling to play at Adepticon or Las Vegas to play.
      If a player were to do such a thing, to play in a Masters qualifier for 9th Age, perhaps we could co-ordinate results between organizers. Such that an individual could use their performance (from no matter which region) to qualify to represent their home region.

Has this already been discussed amongst regional reps?
    • I still feel since this is the first year, and we havn't even gotten the basics of the event down yet I think adding more reps and regions is just gonna be a big pain in the butt. No offence to the canadian guys but we already have enough on our plate and regions that have almost no players, why are we adding more? As some of the Canadian players mentioned, many come to the states for events and can qualify there. We are already way behind on getting the event done for this year, and if we keep adding more and going in circles the event will suffer since we will be rushing to finish it. I am not opposed to this becoming a North American Masters in the future (maybe even next year) but I would like to at least get one event done before we keep adding more onto our plate.
    • stauderpower wrote:

I still feel since this is the first year, and we havn't even gotten the basics of the event down yet I think adding more reps and regions is just gonna be a big pain in the butt. No offence to the canadian guys but we already have enough on our plate and regions that have almost no players, why are we adding more?

See I'm on the other side. We lost a lot of players and should try and include as many people as we possibly can. We're really only talking about the addition of 2 more people to serve as committee representatives, I don't think that'll kill or bog or water down US Masters discussions.
    • stauderpower wrote:

I still feel since this is the first year, and we havn't even gotten the basics of the event down yet I think adding more reps and regions is just gonna be a big pain in the butt. No offence to the canadian guys but we already have enough on our plate and regions that have almost no players, why are we adding more? As some of the Canadian players mentioned, many come to the states for events and can qualify there. We are already way behind on getting the event done for this year, and if we keep adding more and going in circles the event will suffer since we will be rushing to finish it. I am not opposed to this becoming a North American Masters in the future (maybe even next year) but I would like to at least get one event done before we keep adding more onto our plate.
      I share your feelings here, actually. I don't think we're deep enough in event frequency to make the pitch at 2017. In my mind, we're aiming at 2018 to compete as a Canada-West region. @SkargitCrookfang Don't know if you feel closer to fruition on the east coast?