I made some Unit Cards and now you can too!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• I made some Unit Cards and now you can too!

I've always wanted some nice unit cards for 9th age because even though I'm pretty familiar with my army, sometimes there are stats and rules I need to check or double check. I looked around for a bit but didn't find anything to my liking, so I decided to make my own and after having played my first game with them, I can definitely say that I'm happy with how they turned out and can vouch for their convenience in-game, at least if you're like me and want to double check all the stats and equipment before making your rolls. Here are three examples and what they look like IRL:

I'm an intermediate at photoshop and have limited skill with graphic design so with that said, I'm pretty happy with how these turned out, visually. And so I've decided to share them here. There are three PSDs, for infantry, cavalry and one for bigger units like chariots and such. Now, I main EoS so all these cards are specific to that army but with the PSD you can cutstomize every aspect of the card to fit your own army. For this sample batch, I wanted to involve other forum users here so I decided to take photos that people have uploaded to the EoS unit gallery and put them on the cards. That being said, the cards of course allow for any image to be used so you can take pictures of your own minis and have a unified set of cards that show you actual units. I found that having a few models in the frame works best with this particular format.

The templates are decently organised with folders, named layers etc, however some of them contain a lot of unit photos that can be cleaned out if you wanna keep it tidy.

PSD with Heavy Infantry as template:
    drive.google.com/open?id=0B2bw59j2VxkEX3BkbWZ4dm4zbEU

PSD with Knights of the Sun as template:
    drive.google.com/open?id=0B2bw59j2VxkELTR1VVZmdnY3Ymc

PSD with Steam Tank as template:
    drive.google.com/open?id=0B2bw59j2VxkEekZ1VmJIWWg4clk

If you play EoS and just want to give these cards a try before editing your own (or if you're just happy with the sample batch), I've also included a PDF for printing. I just printed them on normal paper and put them in sleeves but of course you can print them however you want. The cards themselves have rounded edges so you'll have to do some detail cutting with scissors to get them all perfect-like.

PDF with all cards for print:
    drive.google.com/open?id=0B2bw59j2VxkEVldXTlIwOHY4ZHc

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I just wanted to share these and I hope some of you will have good use of them.
    (Oh and a helpful mod suggested tagging @Iluvatar in this).

EDIT:

Some additional details/tips:
    I didn't include any characters in this batch because more often than not you'll end up equipping them with a wide variety of equipment, mounts and magic items and I'm not sure the cards would be of much help there. That being said, here are some tips if you wanna nail down things like unit equipment etc:

1) if you have some units that are a mainstay in your army (I for one ALWAYS have a unit of Heavy Infantry with spears), you can just make a unit card for that unit, detailing the equipment that one unit has.

2) You can jot down the equipment in the empty space of the card. This will potentially require several reprints of cards.

3) Make the cards all digital and keep them on your phone/pad. On a pad especially you will be able to shrink the text quite a bit and have lots more space to customize equipment.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Hombre de Mundo ().

• Pellegrim wrote:

I love em, though I think we can't use other company pics in them ..

@Kathal
    Not as an official product. But if private users want to share their own creations, and others want to download them for personal use...

Also, there's probably a good argument for fair use due to the transformative nature, strongly buttressed by the no money being made and no competition with actual GW products. At least in countries which have fair use (like the US).
    Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• Pellegrim wrote:

No, people did this earlier and got removed. Something to do with IP..
    That doesn't make any sense. You can freely post pictures of your painted models - this is no different.

And I'm 99% sure this would pass fair use muster in the US. I'm friends with an IP lawyer, I could ask for a real opinion. But this literally has no competition with any GW products, is not making money, and is transformative. (The fact that the models are painted and it's a photo taken by the user means the images are actually IP of Hombre de Mundo, not GW).

What IP claim would GW actually have?
    -Can't claim Copyright - the photo is a work of art in its own right (as is the paint job on the model), and GW didn't create the photo. (Any relevant copyrights applicable to the model itself are subsumed by fair use justifications, and would equally apply to posting pictures of painted models in any context).
    -Patent doesn't apply
    -Not a trade secret
    -That leaves only Trademark, and I'm highly dubious there's a valid trademark claim here. Especially since Trademark violations require confusion in the marketplace. These cards cause no confusion (GW makes no such cards, and none of GW's trademarked names are used) and the cards are not being sold. An average consumer would not believe these are a GW product. And its not even clear there's a valid trademark in the first place to hang a violation off of.

Edit: If there somehow is a legitimate trademark problem, cards could be created with models that are at least 5 years OOP, because any trademark associated with them would have expired from non-use.
    Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

The post was edited 1 time, last by Squirrelloid ().

• Pellegrim wrote:

I love em, though I think we can't use other company pics in them ..

@Kathal
    I'm the wrong person for these kind of questions ;)

Call @Digger614 for this, he is the expert at IP ^^

Greetings,
    Kathal
    "When four Kings abdicate their thrones, do you really have a Kingdom anymore?"

I kind have a "blog" now: From Beer and Bretzle vol 2

[ETC 2016 - ID] [ETC 2017 - WDG] [ETC 2018 - ID] [ETC 2019 - TBD]
  • Morgan_Treeman wrote:

hey, great job. I made some for my own army with my own photos. check it out:
    s22.postimg.org/lp4o05v69/unit_card_Tribesmen.jpg
    I think you nailed it with the photo! Good job.

duxbuse wrote:

Where is a link to a blank one?
    I don't have a link to a blank one per say but you can just remove or hide the elements you don't want in any of the PSDs. SO for instance, you can take the heavy infantry PSD, delete the photo and replace it with your own and then you just edit the text. Lemme know if I can help you further :)
  • @Hombre de Mundo: Your cards look great! Having pictures on them really makes them pop. The reminder of the Steam Tank rules is also a good thing to have since it really helps during the game.

How long do you think it would take you to create all cards for an army book, now that the template is done (which is, I guess, the longest part)?

Oh, and about round corners: my advice would be to get rid of them. Square corners are fine most of the time, especially if you put the cards in sleeves. It's much, much faster to cut (and I've cut dozen of magic cards during the beta phase, so I know what I'm talking about!), and if you want round corners you can cut them anyway...

Note that this is an idea that has popped in several places in the recent months. I'm looking at making cards as well - "standardized" cards like the magic cards as well (without pictures for legal reasons). It's good to see the idea is shared! :)
    Professionally printed Magic cards

I’m no lord. I’ve more respect for myself than that. - Mat Cauthon
  • So, lots of issues here. First, @Squirrelloid I appreciated your comments. You are probably the first person I've run into here that understands the underlying purpose of trademarks! Excellent!! (just be ready to receive a PM about joining the legal department now ...)

So, the issue is whether the cards can be "official" cards put out by T9A or even if they can be placed on our website. The issue @Pellegrim highlighted by the @tiny quote is a little different than the issue described by @Squirrelloid. Previously we stated that no, you could not pull a professional photo from a website and put it on a card and then put it on our website for distribution as we don't own or have a license to use that photo. This is pretty clear cut and that is what @tiny refers to. Along this line people have asked me about our linking photos of models for sale by companies like GW and Mantic on in our Wiki; but this is different in that we are not distributing the photo for use with T9A, we are directing people to those companies websites to buy their stuff.

The issue that @Squirrelloid brought up stated that @Hombre de Mundo took the pictures and therefore owns the copyrights to the pictures that he took. This is correct. So, if we wanted to be able to distribute the cards, we would need @Hombre de Mundo to upload a copy of the cards to our website, which would function to grant us a perpetual irrevocable license to use the cards. I would have no problem with this from a legal standpoint.

Now, whether the cards are adopted as "official" or not (i.e., they are placed in the "home brew" section of the website if not) is not up to me. I would want the following people to examine them and make a determination on this: @Giladis as our Head of Production, @Scottish Knight as our Production Supervisor, @Thorsen as our Art Director, and I'm not entirely sure who is currently heading up our Layout Department. But they would be the ones to make this determination with the final decision being approved by the ExB.

Thank you @Pellegrim for looking into this.
  • Iluvatar wrote:

@Hombre de Mundo:
    How long do you think it would take you to create all cards for an army book, now that the template is done (which is, I guess, the longest part)?

Note that this is an idea that has popped in several places in the recent months. I'm looking at making cards as well - "standardized" cards like the magic cards as well (without pictures for legal reasons). It's good to see the idea is shared! :)
    Yeah the template itself, getting the measurements etc to an acceptable standard for infantry, cavalry and special units (like Stank) was by far the longest part of it all. Pictures and the text of each card takes just a couple of minutes. I found that once I had the templates down I could go from one EoS unit to all EoS units in a couple of hours.

If you wanted to make a template for each army, what could take quite a while is coming up with a visual design that fits in. I found EoS to be rather standard and easy. I mean, it's not spectacular but it fits. Armies that aren't very neat and tidy like Vermin Swarm, Demonic Legions... might take longer to get it right and decent looking. If there's a good graphic designer around, that'd of course speed up the process quite a bit, it's "simply" a matter of changing some backgrounds and borders, since - as you said - the template is done.

I hear you on the "no round corners" part. I think it looks fancier but of course if you keep them in sleeves it's fine either way. I don't really play card games so I have no idea what people prefer. Like @Morgan_Treeman said, it's a somewhat easy (but manual) fix to make them square.

@Digger614 If I may clarify what I did with the sample set: I took photos from the ninth age gallery (some my own) where people have uploaded their own photos, so most of them are from other forum users. It was more as a community tribute thing than anything and I haven't considered any legal thingies whatsoever, just wanted to share this project and hopefully some people who put those pics up here would be happy to see. But of course it'd be a small task to remove the images or replace them with lawyer-proof ones.
  • Hombre de Mundo wrote:

@Digger614 If I may clarify what I did with the sample set: I took photos from the ninth age gallery (some my own) where people have uploaded their own photos, so most of them are from other forum users. It was more as a community tribute thing than anything and I haven't considered any legal thingies whatsoever, just wanted to share this project and hopefully some people who put those pics up here would be happy to see. But of course it'd be a small task to remove the images or replace them with lawyer-proof ones.
    If you used images from the gallery, then there is no problem. Hay no hay limitaciones legales sobre el uso de las imágenes de la galleria.

By the way @Hombre de Mundo, have you ever thought about applying to join the Layout Team?? El equipo realmente podría utilizar su ayuda.