Daliskhan's highborn road to Valhalla

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Izzilduuur wrote:

@daliskhan: You should totally go for it! I'm just glad you like it and I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the Highborn Lancer :D

I'll be folowing this thread for more of your work, cheers
      Thx mate! I promise you. It will be glorious =)

Greetings friends! A short update.

Finally i got he paints I ordered, now i have no excuse. Pictures of the painting progress will soon flood this thread.

also thought I should recommend you guys to buy or build your own wet palette.

This video tells you why you should use one and how to build one. All you need is a box with a tight lid, water, a sponge and some parchment paper. It will keep your paints from drying up for days or even weeks.
      glory and fame blood is our name, my hbe blog >> Daliskhan's road to valhalla
    • Evening dudes and dudettes!
      Exams are finally over, so Im back in the game, timely considering the release of 1.2.
      Overall i'm quite happy with the changes, and would really like to try the new rules in a near future.

this is what i have been doing since last time;

The scales are taking forever. But im happy with the result so far.

Also though the head looked a bit naked compared to the body. Hence, some horns added and the jaw reinforced even more. Im thinking bout adding some smaller horns or bonelike details here and there on he head. we will see.

Getting the painting started. Only base colous yet and some ink. Looks terrible so far =P but I'm hoping its just this stage. Have to just push through. Aiming for heaven but serving in hell etc.

The griffins are almost done, just gonna build some bases for them and finish the last feathers. there will be pictures once they are done.
      Getting more and more intrested in fielding a general on a griffin. Have some ideas of rebuilding the Karl Franz griffon to a high elf mount.

Thats all for now. please comment if you like!

Keep it real peeps
    • Izzilduuur wrote:

Great stuff!

Just wondering about that elein reaver... do you use airbrush for your swords or did you paint that by hand? I really like the colour and just wanted to know wich paints you used and how you did it! :D

Thanks in advance - and grats with the exams :)
      Thanks man, finally a couple of days without studying =)

The blade is airbrushed. I read through the guides that volomir did on all his High elves. Check out his elein reaver guide. The teqnique is very very simple if you have an airbrush. You just mask half of the blade and paint it fromthe bottom to the middle, and then when it is dry, you mask the other side and paint from top. The paints i use for this one are vallejo game color/air. First chainmail, then silver. and then i did the gradient with a mix of green ink, blue ink, and black ink. i think the mix were something like 2/8 green 3/8 blue and 3/8 black(any brand of inks should do). I noticed that it is almost he same as using vallejo model color, dark sea blue. All the golden parts on the blade are painted with the first base which is parasite brown, they will also be metallic in a near future.
    • Long time no see!
      You might think i've been slaking, but no no no. Time for some updates.

Its painful to start painting again after a long break, but getting there... very slowly.

Next up, the birdies.

really looking forward painting them.

Also practiced some gradients on this special special bird. Have to apply some more white on the right wing though..

Next up, first prototype for the highborn lancers. The wings on the horses head is just attached with blue tag as for now. Not sure how to do them yet. They are casts from Malhandirs @Izzilduuur

Next is something special. Been proxying my Prince on a Lion chariot for a long time, but after christmas is the first big Tournament that im gonna try to attend and then i will need a real miniature. Im going for a bit more feral white lions, they will have some facial tattoos and braids and stuff. And for the Prince i wanted something to make him stand out form the rest of the lions, and was inspired by some old roman legionnaire head gear.

Here is the progress so far

CC is always welcome, catch ya laters!
    • Izzilduuur wrote:

Did the old metal silver helm rider fit well with the horse? Looking forward to seeing it painted with your colourscheme on it!

Awesome lion Prince! That head is so cool :) If I ever get to using that honour on a regular basis, consider this idea stolen :P
      Go for it!

They fit quite well, i had to greenstuff just a little bit on all the horses, but no major operations =)
    • That Prince looks really promising! Looking forward to the finished figure, I wanna see what you're going to do with the arms!
      Can you get us a side shot? I'd like to see how the back of the head/connection with cloak is working. I'm seriously considering ripping you off as well :D

I really like your paintjob, very clean. Particularly fond of the fire effect and the sword blade! My only criticism about the reaver, although it may be personal preference, is that there is too much going on. I prefer using more limited palettes as they give you a tidier look, using many "main" colours can get distracting fast! I hope I expressed my point clearly enough ^^ Still, your work is top quality, waiting to see the finished result!

The post was edited 1 time, last by LoreSeeker ().

• LoreSeeker wrote:

That Prince looks really promising! Looking forward to the finished figure, I wanna see what you're going to do with the arms!
      Can you get us a side shot? I'd like to see how the back of the head/connection with cloak is working. I'm seriously considering ripping you off as well :D
      Go for it! The back is still a WIP. Will require a lot of greenstuff =D Pictures will be provided when it starts to look good =). As for the arms, i will do a kind of resting pose with the axe.
      Like:
      or
      Havent decided, if both hands will be resting or if the head of the axe will be up or down. Opinions are welcomed!
    • LoreSeeker wrote:

I really like your paintjob, very clean. Particularly fond of the fire effect and the sword blade! My only criticism about the reaver, although it may be personal preference, is that there is too much going on. I prefer using more limited palettes as they give you a tidier look, using many "main" colours can get distracting fast! I hope I expressed my point clearly enough ^^ Still, your work is top quality, waiting to see the finished result!
      I know what you mean and I have been feeling the same about him. Do you have any idea on how to change the palette? The plan from the beginning was scarlet red for all the cloth, and teal for the trims and every other purple and teal for the smaller details.
      I think i might have overdone purple on this one.
      Do you think it will help by going for a darker teal for the feathers and plumes? or should i add more scarlet red? or any other idea? I appreciate all critique. =) thanks in advance!
    • SkeletonFlower wrote:

Good to see an update from you! You've been workin hard, and I love it! The Prince is especially cool. Looking forward to when we can have our next game. I've been slacking though, so need to do some more painting. Thank you for inspiring me! :)
      Til the sirens call grow cold!
    • daliskhan wrote:

LoreSeeker wrote:

I know what you mean and I have been feeling the same about him. Do you have any idea on how to change the palette? The plan from the beginning was scarlet red for all the cloth, and teal for the trims and every other purple and teal for the smaller details.I think i might have overdone purple on this one.
      Do you think it will help by going for a darker teal for the feathers and plumes? or should i add more scarlet red? or any other idea? I appreciate all critique. =) thanks in advance!
      Is dropping teal altogether an option? An overall warmer palette would suit very well the scarlet and gold, with purple offsetting it somewhat and giving a little cooler touch - while still being connected to scarlet. If you feel they would be too few colours, you could incorporate more of the light grey - for example on the bow strap and belts, or even the trims if you feel bold! Another alternative could be 100% of the teal becomes purple, and then to mitigate the qty of purple some of the feathers become bone white or another suitably neutral colour - maybe with purple tips if you want a touch of colour, especially on the "wing".

Hope it helps, or at least that I'm making sense!
    • LoreSeeker wrote:

daliskhan wrote:

LoreSeeker wrote:

I know what you mean and I have been feeling the same about him. Do you have any idea on how to change the palette? The plan from the beginning was scarlet red for all the cloth, and teal for the trims and every other purple and teal for the smaller details.I think i might have overdone purple on this one.Do you think it will help by going for a darker teal for the feathers and plumes? or should i add more scarlet red? or any other idea? I appreciate all critique. =) thanks in advance!
      Is dropping teal altogether an option? An overall warmer palette would suit very well the scarlet and gold, with purple offsetting it somewhat and giving a little cooler touch - while still being connected to scarlet. If you feel they would be too few colours, you could incorporate more of the light grey - for example on the bow strap and belts, or even the trims if you feel bold! Another alternative could be 100% of the teal becomes purple, and then to mitigate the qty of purple some of the feathers become bone white or another suitably neutral colour - maybe with purple tips if you want a touch of colour, especially on the "wing".
      Hope it helps, or at least that I'm making sense!
      Thanks for the advice!
    • My take on your colourscheme would be to keep both the purple and teal! I always liked those two colours together (I have a friend WHO used them on his bretonians and later his goblins...)

I would consider dropping the red in favour of grey/White, if you want the paintjob to consist of fewer colours :)
    • Ludaman wrote:

Amazing plog! Love the conversions and greenstuff work!
      Cheers mate!

And for a late night update:

Next step is building the banner itself, anyone have any idea on how to make one? what material to use?

Also thinking about what to do with the horse heads, if it's enough with some leather straps or if i should do some metal armor between the "wings" . I value your opinion guys!
    • I think some metal between the wings would look better than a simple leather strap and add to their heavy armoured cavalry aspect.

As for the banner, I have had success in the past with greenstuff (e.g. see my Lion Guard in the gallery the-ninth-age.com/community/ga…69ca96c71ae3fcacb05cb0217 ). Easy to model but I have a feeling that it might work better with banners than with flags.

Otherwise I have seen tin foil (cut out beer/soda cans) used to good effect, although one has to be more careful with sharp edges!