2017 USA Masters Canceled.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• 2017 USA Masters Canceled.

Hey folks,

Due to a number of reasons, the USA Masters for 2017 have been cancelled. I will be leading a discussion with the remaining regional chairmen soon, on the path forward for the Masters, and the stabilization of a number of regions.

I am thinking of having a small invite-only Invitational (Almost a pseudo masters in a way, with GT winners) but as of right now, the best thing we can do is focus on growing the
      community, (which may be a bit more difficult with the release of 1.2)

@Obsidiananubis
      @Truckeye
      @Sergeant Horse
      @GenePhelps
      @iggykoopa

Chins up.
      We got this.

Jerry
    • There has been discussion, but not much came of it. I think right now the feeling is not very many will travel for it. We had a chance to have it at adepticon last year thinking Chicago is easy to fly to for everyone and they offered some pretty good support. But right away people said they were not going that far. The bulk of the players in the US are MW and MA. But only a handful of each really travel. Michigan and Chiagoland are 15-20hrs from the Carolinas. So both ends are a hike for the other. A compromise might be in KY. I know some guys that might help us pull it off in Lexington and Louisville.

But I feel that until the community itself gets healthy and grows, it wont be much of a masters. one thought was to rotate it between the MW and MA, but Im sure the rest of the country is probably not great with that. Then theres the equity of how many from each region when some areas cant get a 2 day event of 30 people, and some have mulitples of 30+.

The good news is it sounds like Texas or at least Houston is growing. I know groups in CO, KS, CA, OR seem to be more active. It would be great to get some suggestions going again.
      US Masters Representative for the Midwest
      Beast Herds Army Support (retired)

buckeyebattles.com
    • Truckeye wrote:

The good news is it sounds like Texas or at least Houston is growing.
      Houston has a small handful of players but I don't know anywhere else in the state where you can even get a game of T9A.Texas is solid for Kings of War, multiple 50+ man events and Lonewolf solidly 80-90+. AoS has also grown quite big in at least the major metros. It just doesn't leave much room for real growth of T9A here.
    • Truckeye wrote:

I take it you dont play 9th in Houston or follow the facebook page. They are one of the most active local clubs Ive found with regular events.
      I lived in Houston for 30+ years. I follow the Houston T9A page. I live in austin. I regularly travel back to Houston to visit(and game with) my kids and old friends. I TO monthly events, as well as one of the five Texas GTs for another game system. I play a wide variety of games.

There are more players in Houston of other rank and flank fantasy games than there are 9th age. And Texas as a whole? Again, there are 5 GTs for another system, there has never been a single GT for T9A. It's not even close. The Texas meta will never switch over to T9A.
    • I stand by my posts. 1) growing in houston. which it undeniably is growing there. 2) never said 9th was the biggest or taking over in TX. if you read something into it that is your failure or maybe worry that 9th is infact growing in houston. I wish all the old players that have moved to other systems well, and Im glad that system is satisfying to them. It was dull as hell to me, but I dont need to go poo poo on their message boards.
      US Masters Representative for the Midwest
      Beast Herds Army Support (retired)

buckeyebattles.com

The post was edited 1 time, last by Truckeye ().

• thorgrimm wrote:

Truckeye wrote:

The good news is it sounds like Texas or at least Houston is growing.
      Houston has a small handful of players but I don't know anywhere else in the state where you can even get a game of T9A.Texas is solid for Kings of War, multiple 50+ man events and Lonewolf solidly 80-90+. AoS has also grown quite big in at least the major metros. It just doesn't leave much room for real growth of T9A here.
      Aaron is that you by any chance? Your posts are a bit misleading. You cite the strength of KOW/AOS in Texas as evidence T9A has no room to grow, but this assumes that the pool of potential players has been fully tapped by those two systems.

We have found the opposite to be the case. Starting from just two people playing at a FLGS every weekend, we have grown to a solid group of around 15 players, including people that have tried KOW and even some younger AOS players who never played an edition of WHFB. And this without the benefit of corporate advertising, or shelves filled with retail product, established GTs from 8th, or a large, pre-existing gaming group pushing the system down here - just a game that people really enjoy playing

thorgrimm wrote:

Truckeye wrote:

I take it you dont play 9th in Houston or follow the facebook page. They are one of the most active local clubs Ive found with regular events.
      I lived in Houston for 30+ years. I follow the Houston T9A page. I live in austin. I regularly travel back to Houston to visit(and game with) my kids and old friends. I TO monthly events, as well as one of the five Texas GTs for another game system. I play a wide variety of games.
      There are more players in Houston of other rank and flank fantasy games than there are 9th age. And Texas as a whole? Again, there are 5 GTs for another system, there has never been a single GT for T9A. It's not even close. The Texas meta will never switch over to T9A.
      Again I really don't see how any of this is relevant. Yes, we all know that the largest Texas WFB club herded to KOW (although not all of them apparently), and I'm sure Mantic is grateful that they carry so much water for them here in the south. In other areas of the US, especially the Midwest, T9A still has a much stronger tournament scene.

I also TO monthly events, and will TO the first 9th Age GT in Texas this summer. So? Play what you want and don't worry about it.
      "An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*"

-Aragorn, son of Arathorn

The post was edited 4 times, last by grungimusic ().

• Regarding masters: Let the ink dry on gold edition and we may see a Masters in 2019. When we finally are done with updates and have a stable meta, a US Masters will become feasible again.
      "An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*"

• grungimusic wrote:

Regarding masters: Let the ink dry on gold edition and we may see a Masters in 2019. When we finally are done with updates and have a stable meta, a US Masters will become feasible again.
      If the goal is to have a “United States, Singles Championship Invitiational” based on 2019 results, now would be a good time to start laying down the train tracks in order to make this goal a reality.
    • Marcos24 wrote:

grungimusic wrote:

I also TO monthly events, and will TO the first 9th Age GT in Texas this summer. So? Play what you want and don't worry about it.
      I’m some Cali guys would go including myself, though I haven’t heard of this GT until now!
      That's great to hear; I will have website up soon and link it everywhere!