Mad 'At's T9A: Skirmish Campaigns Blog

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Smythen wrote:

wauw that scenery. So impressive! Wish I had the time and skill to create all that.
      Thanks, though the games above are played at a local club, so the majority of the terrain I can't take credit for. I do bring along smaller pieces though, crates, barrels, bridges, ladders and stuff. Some of which is build from balsa wood and others parts are made with a 3D-printer.

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

Empire of Sonnstahl Blog, including links to my other blogs
      The 9th Wiki, a community wiki for the official 9th Age background
      T9A: Skirmish Campaigns
    • Fought another two battles this Wednesday, and the first was with my EoS! That means another thematic battle report! Sadly I left the miniature for Unzuzu at him, so standing in for him is a hunchback.

Battle 6: The Beasts Return
      The Journal of Legend
      by Alonso de Santa Genoveva

I faced El Diabolo today! And I think the captain might be trying to get rid off me. He sent me out ahead on a whim, telling me to find a good spot to provide supporting fire. I did and found a good one, just before the foes started pouring in. My first shot felled one of their numbers, but before I had loaded the third one, El Diabolo appeared right in front of me. It towered above me, more fearsome than even Vanadra. I took a step back and brandished my bayonet, ready for the charge. Despite my bravery, I was no match, but who could have faired better against such a foe. Non can dispute my heroism, for through it all, I never showed fear.

Mission Report
      Cpt. Dümmler
      11th of Damos, 960 A.S.

The have been quite for a long while now, but today we came across the Strigoi beasts we’ve encountered before. I had a hunch we’d face something today, so I had sent Alfonso out ahead to find a good spot where he could safely wield his handgun.

When the rest of us arrived he had already engaged the foe, laying down fire as fast as he could from atop a temple ruin. One ghoul had already fallen to his marksmanship. I sent Smallburrow and Hersh out on out left flank, where they found a hill to take up firing position from. They too quickly felled a foe, on of their vicious wolves. The battle was looking well and to press the advantage I ordered the center forward fronted by Bolat.

What I didn’t count on was how eager Bolat were for battle after our rather long hiatus. He charged headlong into a group of four of their numbers. Von Fürstenberg, who I think finally is starting to appreciate the protection of the ogre followed close behind, but was beset by two foes and fell quickly. We still had a change to turn things around though, since Bolat proved difficult for the ghouls to handle. I ordered the counter-charge, just as a shrilling scream of fear rang out from above us. It was Alonso, who was under attack from the big vampire in the enemy group. Somehow it had climbed undetected up to his position atop the ruins.

The scream must have hurt the moral of my troops, for in each place they charged, their skills failed them. Not long after, the Strigoi beast came crashing down from above, landing right beside me, in a scene all too familiar. I barely had time to react before it all went dark, somehow we got away alive. Zuzka was badly injured unfortunately, I pray to Sunna she will be alright. We can't afford to loose someone as skilled as her.

Sweet sister…
      … I write to you now in my time of distress. I was injured today, bitten by one of those undead dogs I told you of before. It doesn't look good. The beast caught my arm and all but tore it clean off. If it wasn’t for the Vanhu warrior it sure would have. But the wound is already terribly infected, it hurts so much I can barely write this letter. I will stay strong sister, but I fear the worst. If you don’t hear from my again in a months time, I want you to find father and tell him that I am sorry. I should never have left home.
      // Yours, Zuzka

In the second game I brought a new Warband, a Von Karnstein group. We had a new HBE player joining, and the SA player from before as well. The SA warband had a lot higher rating so had to pick deployment zone last, and ended up in the middle. I managed to win the game, but just barely.

And simultaneous as these two games, there were two more games being played:

That is all for now.

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

The post was edited 2 times, last by Mad 'At ().

• I took a little break but had another game last Wednesday. Brough a new OnG warband, this time Cave Dwellers.

The highlights of the game was the Random Happening which spawned a Wretched One behind the HBE Warband. It went full steam ahead towards the middle of the board and then graciously jumped down a cliff, despite his Agility of 1. Then it got charged by a Seeker, took some damage by whooped the dwarf good. With some miraculous shots it was then felled by the HBE archers, but the Dwarf Engineer swept in an took the loot it dropped.

Another cool moment was when my troll failed its Stupidity and wandered off a cliff, jumping much less gracefully than the Wretched One. He took 4 HP and was later charged by 2 Path Walkers and a Dwarven Thane. It turned into a pillow-fight though with no casualties, after a while I was routed instead, and then the WDG directly after.

Some pics:

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

• I played another game with my EoS warband, but I haven't really been motivate to write up the report, despite actually having my first victory. It was only a 1v1 game though, and it was the dice that gave me the win. Finally managed to write something up though, but it is shorter than usual.

First I'll introduce the newest member of the crew though. Say hello to Laura Landfast, the Markswoman.

Battle 7: Familiar Whiskers

Gerald’s Notes
      Zuzka’s is still clinging to life, but her is looking really bad. I went to see her today after the battle. Partly out of shame I think. It wasn’t long ago that I was the one waiting in camp, but I was never nearly in as poor a shape as she is. It could easily have been me this time too. Sometimes you forget just how dangerous our mission is.

The Captain must have sensed my distress for he sent the goblin up front together with the new recruit. They located four remnants of the disaster that we needed to investigate, and took up defensive positions around one of them. But the enemy was fast approaching, the same vermin who shot me before.

I took a rear guard position, I realise now out of cowardice, and took to the rooftops to provide supporting fire to the Captain. At at one point I still spotted the enemy gunner. It was far away, but I knew that it could still hit me from that distance, it had before. The Captain barked at me to focus on what was in front of me instead. The terrifying Warrior of Sugulag from before was approaching.

The Captain had Bolat, von Fürstenberg and Irmhilda with him, but he still seemed worried about facing this foe, I know I was. The Warrior made it to one of the remnants but was then suddenly engulfed brilliant flashed of bright green light. When it seased the Warrior was gone, and only the vermin wizard and a few rats remained. The other made short work of them. I do wonder what became of the Warrior.

My mission wasn’t over yet though, as the goblin cried out in fear this battle too, not far from where I was. He had picked up the remnant and was making his way back to our lines when a vermin ambshed him. I put an arrow in the beat’s shoulder and Alfonso could get away safely.

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mad 'At ().

• @WastelandWarrior: Thanks mate!

@ferny It is a conversion, though a fairly simple one. They body and arms are from Warlord Games Landsknecht. It is a nice multi-part plastic kit. They do not use heroic scale so the bodies are quite petite compared to GW and others, making them perfect for women. I carved down the waist of the armour a little bit and sculpted the plate over the chest a little larger using green stuff. The head is from Statuesque Miniatures. Really nice sculpts that are just lovely to paint.

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

• Squigkikka wrote:

Pics ain't working for me! :(
      Non of them? Not even the one in the spoiler tag in #46? That one is linked from this very forum's own gallery. The others are linked from imgur, but I see no reason why those shouldn't work either. Anyone else having problems?

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

• Mad 'At wrote:

Anyone else having problems?
      Same problem.

Addresses of the pictures don't seem right.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xOli7wtPhncaK2UKeCB2RGbwBKtOHxxci9YndjkKpsSsphrRiIupc10IVZAdbJTNqrohcW7Uho9VaG_cpq3lLqyRg8OPBuwEdr8I6RhKgZ4R5V3Jbszrhhudu2GcrfKfAtP9TAyfJhtkMvjzwhustfAQV3G-dBrZAimhHzb_SyDRNbazzadhbXXhGnkuVczdxKo060pyRMo_bBjNbHTHAYEiD2I1deAnYh85_0R_bE12pGGmzq1ynFrx9XaAef7xSs_RbQN59yx_7rYOAfhpDZAN-4eyEH0EiLjV_ZVALRW1ZZP-Va5HIrX3DdoX3_HW4NQEbaCgRiPkwz3gwpHiF8YC-C0at3cy2EEAGYu7HPqO2t7UC5thSb-GZGd8GehakZEnccgGV9GDXl1ud42BNnd7FkzSahvM_3hq_-YmNp-_iQUsd3y3XheYWqhtASEnfXD_bLWlhG1ati6lqEHuIEqi6Grdrwo2DWaEtfYWWlovbF_AveC9dRcV-iosxYAG3Tn51n8WryzQbSZPAdJleQT1C3KPGqo7pM1vAzMXpyeH-pPi-CB1UhpOiBd5bzR_zq-D__lYxrzCCkotiPx7XNIwt0fuFMOy5clF=s1310-w1310-h982-no

Slim Layout Coordinator

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
    • Hmm, on second thought, I didn't use Imgur for these last images, I tried something new instead. Guess that didn't work. I'll fix it when I get the chance.

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

• Mad 'At wrote:

@Squigkikka Do the images work now?
      Yes for me!

Slim Layout Coordinator

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
    • Aleph Null wrote:

Just can't praise your metals highly enough - the barrel of Laura's handgun looks superb.

Oh, and the battle reports are nice too. I'm having to get my fantasy-skirmish-gaming fix vicariously these days. Keep 'em coming, yeah? :D
      Thanks for the support :)

We have had a bit of a lull is our campaign due to a broken leg on one of the regulars. But he is better now so hopefully we can pick up some pace again. I'll do my best to provide continued reports of it, it is good to know that they are appreciated.

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

• That was quicker than expected. We played a game today, and I used my EoS. It was a great game, and I got super motivated to write about it, so here it is.

Battle8: Earth Shatters
      vs Jon (WDG) & Einar (SA)

Mission Report
      Cpt.Dümmler
      36thof Damos, 960 A.S.

We suffered a great defeat yesterday. Just as we had secured a large catch of alcoholic beverages in an abandoned tavern, we were ambushed by two separate foes. Saurians approached from the north, and a band of wild heretics bearing markings of the Dark Gods charged from the south. I sent our fire support to the top of the tavern, except for Alfonso whom I had sent out earlier to keep watch. I then spread out our other forces out around the tavern. Bolat, Von Fürtsenberg and Irmhilda to the north-west, and Unzuzu, Neuhaus and myself in the south east.

Just as we had taken up position a feral dog came charging at Unzuzu. Neuhaus and I came to his aid as soon as we could, but it was too late. To our horror, the beast had tore his throat out, and was now violently humping his corpse, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a vile sight. Neuhaus became furious and together we overpowered the creature.

Just after the master of the beast came charging at me. Neuhous, still in a fury, intercepted it and in two blows defeated the heretic. But that gave us no respite, a saurian came up at us from behind. I didn’t have time to react and it stabbed me in my side. The wound is fine, but I couldn’t continue the fight. Neuhaus was the next victim of the reptilian warrior, but before she got the chance to defend herself, the most terrible thing happened.

The whole battlefield shook with a terrible earthquake! I’ve heard about them, but I didn’t think they were common here in Avras. Hersh claims it was the Skink sorcerer that caused it and has sworn revenge.

The tavern came crashing down around us, and over the rumbling I her the panicked screams of my comrades as they fell from the top of the building or were buried in rubble. In the dust and turmoil we managed to escape, all of us except Faro that is. I do not know what fate became of him, if he is even still alive. Neuhaus was eager to set out and look for him, but I think her real objective is to find the remains of Unzuzu.

All things considered though, I can’t help but to think we were fortunate. Things could have ended up a lot worse. We were all bruised and battered but no serious injuries.

Khululiwe…
      It is with deep sorrow that I write to inform you of the passing of your son, Unzuzu. He died on the 1st of August. He died fighting, as a brave warrior, defending myself and the Captain of our group from a ferocious wolf, set upon us by ghastly warriors sworn to the Dark Gods.

I fought beside Unzuzu the day of his passing and many other times, and together with his brother Umzuzu before him. He was a brave and honourable warrior who saved the lives of his allies many times, myself included. I considered him a close friend, and while it cannot compare to the loss you must feel, I will mourn his passing deeply.

Unzuzu spoke much of his family and his heritage, with utmost warmth and respect. That is how I learned of you, his mother, and why I felt compelled to write you this letter. He also told me about your traditions, which I hope to honer by sending you his skull to be bruied in his homeland. I also send you the skull of his brother, which he had intended to bring home himself. I pray this can ease your sorrow if only a little.

My heartfelt condolences //
      Natalie Neuhaus
      August 3rd

Waldstein’sLog
      Entry from 2ndof August,960 A.S.

It has taken me a good while to recover my thoughts enough to manage to write this. We’ve two of our numbers, and they will be sorely missed.

Although I was spared the dangers of the earthquake, I didn’t accomplish much in the battle. I spotted a Skink trying to sneak up on use and tried to catch it, but it was too nimble. It alerted Faro to its presence though, and the blue critter was soon hit by an arrow. I think it managed to escape though.

Meanwhile, Bolat seemed to have gotten bored with shadowing Von Fürstenberg and set out on his own. Being a creature who wears his feelings on the outside, I can safely say from his mood afterwards that he didn’t accomplish much.

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mad 'At ().