The Naga Court – (Homebrew Faction)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• The Naga Court – (Homebrew Faction)

Hi, I create this army based in AD&D and Conan world. I hope that enjoy this scaled friends :thumbsup:

I would like read your opinions. If like it or not, it is easy to read or not. Anything it considers will be well regarded. Of course, if you can help me with the grammar I appreciate it.

Link: mediafire.com/file/88te32wc95p5aun/Naga_T9A(2).pdf

That is all
      The Al-Qassar Sultanates (Homebrew)
      Halflings (Homebrew)
      Silexian Goblins (Homebrew)
      Feral Orcs (Homebrew)

The post was edited 2 times, last by setrius ().

• Firstly: I love Nagas and snek-people of all kinds! So thank you!

Now for feedback after a first readthrough, so won't too advanced. I'm Writing as I read so this is literally first thoughts you get here.

Naming & Fluff:
      • Consider coming up with a non-copyrighted name for Yuan-Ti.
      • How are Misfortune's Hunters created? Are they just born that way or are they cursed or bred and delibaretely released to cause havoc? They were once human, but how did they tunr the way they are?
      AWSR:
      Sons of Seth: I guess it was easier than giving everyone Nat Def +6 and Cold-Blooded? Not really sure it adds anything that the aforementioned special rules don't but there's no problems with it either.
      Royalty: The Bloodline Power, I guess. Nothing
      Conjurer: Very interesting, I like it a lot. A good way to give a race a magical edge. Though I would likely limit other item categories in return. Just a though.

Armoury: I like the hunting bow, I guess this is to be a quite mobile faction?

Lineages:
      • Seth: Wizards Hood but doesn't take up a Magic item Slot and gives access to a Path he cannot normally take, for the same cost as the item. Should probably cost a bit more but I don't consider Wizard's Hood to be very good anyway so... eh
      • Corruption: Toxic Attacks are very powerful, fear isn't. The ID have aHat that gives a S3 Breath Weapon and 6+ AS for 60, so its probably costed okay.
      • Titan: Impact hits and Stomps on a S5 model for just 40? Yes? Why would I even not take this on a combat character? The SA Spear of the Stampede gives 1d6 Impact hits at double the cost, and the Plates of Tuktek 1d3 and +1 T. Given that this lineage is just 40p for both impact hits and Stomps, my first impression it that it is a bit too good for the cost. Unless I was fighting an army that generally cannot be stomped, I would Always, Always take this on my combat character, though Seth is also good.
      • Flame. Eh, why not? Not very powerful but could be nice in certain matchups. I dunno why his breeding would let the Naga Catch on fire though, given that the fluff doesn't mention any elemental Connection? Was his father secretly a Salamander?
      • Ferric: Also really good and really cheap. Would probably make it a bit more expensive unless the intention was that is should be fairly easy for this army to make 2+ AS characters on foot? It might be intended. (Heavy Armour, Shield, Sons of Seth, Ferric +a hat of some sort: 2+)
      Blessings: All pretty good, all pretty powerful. Seems in line with the EoS Blessings.

Magic Items (my favourite parts of all Homebrew books :) :(
      • [b][/b]Eternal Phylum: A Great Weapon masquerading as a halberd. Is it intentional that this should give +3S? For a S8 Naga Lord (Halberd +1, magic +2)? That seems rather excessive given that the +2S weapon in the core book COSTs 20 more than this do and the character essentially has a free shield due to natural defence 6+.
      • Storm piercing (is this a typo? Feels like it shhould be Stormpiercer, or something along those lines?):The Great Bow of Elu but for sneks. Exchanges one pip of S and AP1 for Lightning Attacks, QtF and extra Range for 10 cheaper. Seems okay.
      • Snakeskin Armour (barbarians....): A very interesting ability. I guess the wearer slithers in Place? Don't really know how to COSTs this since it is so unique, but I do like it.
      • Biting Shield: I want to say it's a bit cheap for an extra attack, but VS can do it for cheaper and without spending magic so you know, it probably isn't.
      • Talisman of Deceit: interesting and unique. the Ward Save is Worth 10p, distracting in challenges alone is probably not Worth 20 but hey, better too expensive than too cheap :) I like this item. A lot.
      • Necklace of Detestation: First of, a natural role of "1" doens't wound you anyway. The closest equivalent, the Mammoth-hide cloak prevents wounds on "2" AND "3" instead of just "2" and gives 6+ AS, for 60 so given that the Necklace does half of that and doesn't give an AS and that Naga Lords and Khans are not all dissimilar in stats, I'd say this one is actually overcosted.
      • Bifid Statuette: Very powerful defensive tool. my initial thoughts is that it is way undercosted for how powerful it is, comparing it to other unit-wide buff items (both permanent and one-use ones), especially since it can effect multiple enemy units.
      • Potion of Stamina. A rather bland name for this item compared to the rest :( Given the existence of say the KoE Blessed Scripture, I'd say this one is at least not overcosted. Might even be a bit too expensive
      • Sierpe's Egg: Free chaff? In any players turn? Yes please :) Perhaps not overcosted but it's an effect that is very hard to cost. Gonna leave this alone for now.
      • The Seth (seven?) Commandments: Utterly screws over Druidism mages for a turn, making The Oaken Throne absolutely worthless. not a real fan of this one, though not for the cost.
      • Banner of the Thousand Sons: Needs rewritten to be clearer. I'm assuming that this Counts the first rank as double for determining Steadfast? Does this apply both for yourself and for trying to break enemy Steadfast? A bit too unclear for me to comment on right now.
      • Banner of Mirages: Oh, God of Dust and Bone, this is strong. Enabling an entire combat unit of infantry to make a 3d6 charge backwards, or sideways or whichever way and ignoring charge reactions AND giving them Cover for a turn? Yeah.... this is not a 50p banner. No way. I would COSTs it at likely the 100+ range because it really is crazy powerful.
      UNITS

Lords Yuan-Ti: Very powerful combat Lords. being roughly equal to a Ogre Khan and Great Khan, exchanging Impact hits for Poison attacks and 6+ natural armour. Very good fighters, but quite expensive, as they should be. A 4W T5 BSB is really nice.

Naga Conjurer: Basic Wizard. Quite expensive but Cold-blooded is nice to have. Could perhaps go down in price somewhat. the Horse is way too cheap though.

Naga Priestess: 10p cheaper than the EoS Prelate. Seems about right for a similar statline, especially since they have to buy their armour while the prelate gets his base. Though i wonder why the priestess has cheaper horse than the Prelate?

Naga Assassin: I Think the Vipers Kiss special rule is incorrectly written. As it is the Naga Assassin is automatically wounded on a to hit role of 5+. is there a reason for this rule as opposed to just Poison Attacks 5+? Otherwise seems to be costed okay as 10p cheaper than the Delf Assassin.
      I haz a blog! the-ninth-age.com/blog/index.p…-the-moment-aslo-batreps/.

Mostly KoE and ID stuff. Now also some Void
    • CORE

Naga Warriors: Basic human statline, Cold-blooded and Heavy Armour. compared to the EoS Heavy Infantry, I'd say the Naga Warriors are undercosted by at least 1 Point or so, at least for the extra warriors one can buy. Mostly because of Cold-Bloodedness. Having a 4+ Spear infantry in Core is pretty nice.

Naga Raiders: I am NOT fond of having chaffy light cavalry in Core, but the elves get it so I guess that ship has sailed... Decent unit, a bit cheaper than Elein Reavers but exchanging elf reflexes for +1 AS and Cold-blooded, lacking a natural shooting attack. they're fine. I just dislike them on principal because none of my armies get their chaff in Core :)

Yuan-Ti Warriors: Really now? Monstrous infantry in Core? This army really has Everything,doesn't it? I would consider them slightly undercosted compared to Ogre Tribesmen, given that the have the same save but exchanging Parry for Poison attacks and Cold-blooded and +1I for roughly the same cost. They really need to be more expensive or not be Core.

• SPECIAL

Naga Chariot: Very sad that it isn't pulled by giant sneks :( Seems quite well costed compared to the BH one. Nothing to complain about. though given that it can Vanguard, should it really be cheape rthan the BH one which cannot?

Royal Guard: A bit Mediocre are they not? 4+AS, S4 I4 WS4. But their multitude of Special Rules make them a very solid unit to anchor your battleline on. And with a Priestess I Think they could do some real damage. Mediocre by themselves but really good when blessed. Like a Special version of the EoS Halberdiers.

Naga Headhunter: Don't put Skirmish on a melee unit. Just don't. It's a terribly designed rule for them. Go Light Troops + Hard Target instead. Leave Skirmish for the dedicated ranged skirmish squads. They die to a stiff breeze but aren't too expensive. i don't know. Hard to evaluate. I Think they should be I4 base so they at least get to use their lethal strikes Before they die.

Chosen of Seth: 2+ AS elite cavalry with Divive Attacks. Not bad at all. immune to Phychology on a cavalry unit is a double-edged sword indeed. I though about considering them overcosted compared to EoS Electoral Cavalry but.... Cold-Blooded.

• YUAN-TI CASTE: Monstrous infantry with S5, Poison attacks, 3+ AS and scoring? I kinda feel like they should lose at least one of those things, but that might just be me.

Misfortune's Hunters: Lightly armoured monstrous infantry with Great Weapons. Not much to say. Hard Target means that they might survive a light summer shower, but I wouldn't Count on it. probbaly fine, though some sort of Vanguard/Scout would fit them, I think

• SONS OF SETH

Seth's Swarm: It's a Snake Swarm. Cheaper to start with but equal once you start to add sneks. Seems fine.

Sierpe: It's a big snek! Liking it a lot. It is a very cheap monster. The special rules feel very fluffy as well as useful and the ability to take a Toxic Breath Weapon is very, very good. I would run 2, probably every time.

Gorgona: It's a Medusa. Just as good in melee as the Delf one , if a bit tougher, but with a good shooting attack as well.
      Seems well costed at a first glance.

Anathemas: Lots of Monstrous Infantry in this army! Here comes Another one! Does Aura Of Darkness requite the Twisted Effigy spell to go off to work? It might be that this should be two abilities. A powerful buff!Snek but rather unimpressive in combat for its prize. Buff-wagons are Always hard to cost so I'm not going to try.

That's it! A veyr interesting army, lots of High-AS units and lots of Monstrous Infantry. I also must congratulate you on the layout. This is by far the most professional looking AB I've seen in this forums, even better than the official ones :)
      A bit of fluff for each unit wuld be nice.

Very well done.

• Petterwass wrote:

Firstly: I love Nagas and snek-people of all kinds! So thank you!

Now for feedback after a first readthrough, so won't too advanced. I'm Writing as I read so this is literally first thoughts you get here.

Naming & Fluff:
      • Consider coming up with a non-copyrighted name for Yuan-Ti.
      You are right, I need find another name... but which? I accept suggestion.
      • How are Misfortune's Hunters created? Are they just born that way or are they cursed or bred and delibaretely released to cause havoc? They were once human, but how did they tunr the way they are?
      They were human been doom by Seth.

AWSR:
      Sons of Seth: I guess it was easier than giving everyone Nat Def +6 and Cold-Blooded? Not really sure it adds anything that the aforementioned special rules don't but there's no problems with it either.

At the beginning I wrote Innate Defence (6+) and Cold-Blooded in Naga Special Rules but I simplified and I decided join into one rule Son Of Seth.

Royalty: The Bloodline Power, I guess. Nothing
      Conjurer: Very interesting, I like it a lot. A good way to give a race a magical edge. Though I would likely limit other item categories in return. Just a though.

The limitation is that only can get 100 points in magical items.

Armoury: I like the hunting bow, I guess this is to be a quite mobile faction?

Yes, my idea is give mobility and some shooting to Yuan-ti. At the beginning Naga warriors had the option to equip with bows but I changed by javelin. I want avoid the extreme list of light shooting.

Lineages:
      • Seth: Wizards Hood but doesn't take up a Magic item Slot and gives access to a Path he cannot normally take, for the same cost as the item. Should probably cost a bit more but I don't consider Wizard's Hood to be very good anyway so... eh
      This lineage only can have a Royal Blood Yuan-ti. Also gain the rule Conjurer that means 100 points in magic item, 50 points of the old system.
      • Corruption: Toxic Attacks are very powerful, fear isn't. The ID have aHat that gives a S3 Breath Weapon and 6+ AS for 60, so its probably costed okay.
      • Titan: Impact hits and Stomps on a S5 model for just 40? Yes? Why would I even not take this on a combat character? The SA Spear of the Stampede gives 1d6 Impact hits at double the cost, and the Plates of Tuktek 1d3 and +1 T. Given that this lineage is just 40p for both impact hits and Stomps, my first impression it that it is a bit too good for the cost. Unless I was fighting an army that generally cannot be stomped, I would Always, Always take this on my combat character, though Seth is also good.
      Maybe 30 point per Stomp 1d3 is ok. But I think that Impacts Hit 1d3 per 20 points is right price. That means 50 points for this linage.
      • Flame. Eh, why not? Not very powerful but could be nice in certain matchups. I dunno why his breeding would let the Naga Catch on fire though, given that the fluff doesn't mention any elemental Connection? Was his father secretly a Salamander?
      • Ferric: Also really good and really cheap. Would probably make it a bit more expensive unless the intention was that is should be fairly easy for this army to make 2+ AS characters on foot? It might be intended. (Heavy Armour, Shield, Sons of Seth, Ferric +a hat of some sort: 2+)
      This is the intention I give the possibility to have a character with save +1 thanks to a linage.

Blessings: All pretty good, all pretty powerful. Seems in line with the EoS Blessings.

Magic Items (my favourite parts of all Homebrew books :) :(
      • Eternal Phylum: A Great Weapon masquerading as a halberd. Is it intentional that this should give +3S? For a S8 Naga Lord (Halberd +1, magic +2)? That seems rather excessive given that the +2S weapon in the core book COSTs 20 more than this do and the character essentially has a free shield due to natural defence 6+.
      A mistake. The idea is to get a total bonus of +2. I change the text for this:
      Type: Halberd. Attacks made with this weapon gain +1 Strength.

• Storm piercing (is this a typo? Feels like it shhould be Stormpiercer, or something along those lines?):The Great Bow of Elu but for sneks. Exchanges one pip of S and AP1 for Lightning Attacks, QtF and extra Range for 10 cheaper. Seems okay.
      Yep, is a typo fail Stormpiercer
      • Snakeskin Armour (barbarians....): A very interesting ability. I guess the wearer slithers in Place? Don't really know how to COSTs this since it is so unique, but I do like it.
      • Biting Shield: I want to say it's a bit cheap for an extra attack, but VS can do it for cheaper and without spending magic so you know, it probably isn't.
      • Talisman of Deceit: interesting and unique. the Ward Save is Worth 10p, distracting in challenges alone is probably not Worth 20 but hey, better too expensive than too cheap :) I like this item. A lot.
      • Necklace of Detestation: First of, a natural role of "1" doens't wound you anyway. The closest equivalent, the Mammoth-hide cloak prevents wounds on "2" AND "3" instead of just "2" and gives 6+ AS, for 60 so given that the Necklace does half of that and doesn't give an AS and that Naga Lords and Khans are not all dissimilar in stats, I'd say this one is actually overcosted.
      What do you think about this?
      Necklace of detestation (45 points) The bearer can’t be wounded in Close Combat with natural rolls of `2´.

• Bifid Statuette: Very powerful defensive tool. my initial thoughts is that it is way undercosted for how powerful it is, comparing it to other unit-wide buff items (both permanent and one-use ones), especially since it can effect multiple enemy units.
      It's only one use. Anyway I increase the price into 40 points.
      • Potion of Stamina. A rather bland name for this item compared to the rest :( Given the existence of say the KoE Blessed Scripture, I'd say this one is at least not overcosted. Might even be a bit too expensive
      • Sierpe's Egg: Free chaff? In any players turn? Yes please :) Perhaps not overcosted but it's an effect that is very hard to cost. Gonna leave this alone for now.
      • The Seth (seven?) Commandments: Utterly screws over Druidism mages for a turn, making The Oaken Throne absolutely worthless. not a real fan of this one, though not for the cost.
      • Banner of the Thousand Sons: Needs rewritten to be clearer. I'm assuming that this Counts the first rank as double for determining Steadfast? Does this apply both for yourself and for trying to break enemy Steadfast? A bit too unclear for me to comment on right now.
      The idea is this Counts the first rank as double for determining Steadfast. This apply both for yourself and for trying to break enemy Steadfast. Maybe I must add only can take Monstrous Infantry.
      • Banner of Mirages: Oh, God of Dust and Bone, this is strong. Enabling an entire combat unit of infantry to make a 3d6 charge backwards, or sideways or whichever way and ignoring charge reactions AND giving them Cover for a turn? Yeah.... this is not a 50p banner. No way. I would COSTs it at likely the 100+ range because it really is crazy powerful.
      You are right. maybe something like this
      Banner of mirages (50 points) One use only
      Activate at the Start of the Movement Phase. Infantry models in the bearer's unit gains Stupidity and Random Movement (2D6). Also all models in its unit count as being in Soft Cover. If one of the models affected by this item is already in Soft Cover, it counts as being in Hard Cover instead. The standard cannot be used in Game Turn 1 if the unit has used Vanguard or Scout.

UNITS

Lords Yuan-Ti: Very powerful combat Lords. being roughly equal to a Ogre Khan and Great Khan, exchanging Impact hits for Poison attacks and 6+ natural armour. Very good fighters, but quite expensive, as they should be. A 4W T5 BSB is really nice.

Naga Conjurer: Basic Wizard. Quite expensive but Cold-blooded is nice to have. Could perhaps go down in price somewhat. the Horse is way too cheap though.

Naga Priestess: 10p cheaper than the EoS Prelate. Seems about right for a similar statline, especially since they have to buy their armour while the prelate gets his base. Though i wonder why the priestess has cheaper horse than the Prelate?

Naga Assassin: I Think the Vipers Kiss special rule is incorrectly written. As it is the Naga Assassin is automatically wounded on a to hit role of 5+. is there a reason for this rule as opposed to just Poison Attacks 5+? Otherwise seems to be costed okay as 10p cheaper than the Delf Assassin.

I think that this is clearer

Model with this special rule in Close Combat Attacks rolls a successful hit with a to-hit roll of an unmodified 5+, this hit automatically wounds with no to-wound roll needed.
      First of all thank you for you feed back and comments. To be honest I not played with this army and I can tell you if some things are broken or not.

Later on I comment the rest of your posts. I give sometime if somebody want comment too.

That is all
      Halflings (Homebrew)
      Feral Orcs (Homebrew)
    • Petterwass wrote:

CORE

Naga Warriors: Basic human statline, Cold-blooded and Heavy Armour. compared to the EoS Heavy Infantry, I'd say the Naga Warriors are undercosted by at least 1 Point or so, at least for the extra warriors one can buy. Mostly because of Cold-Bloodedness. Having a 4+ Spear infantry in Core is pretty nice.

Think in this; shield is 2 points per model and spear 1 pto per model that means full equip 13 points.

A unit of imperial 50 lancers is 510
      A unit of 50 Naga Warriors with spear and heavy armour is 630 points.

Naga Raiders: I am NOT fond of having chaffy light cavalry in Core, but the elves get it so I guess that ship has sailed... Decent unit, a bit cheaper than Elein Reavers but exchanging elf reflexes for +1 AS and Cold-blooded, lacking a natural shooting attack. they're fine. I just dislike them on principal because none of my armies get their chaff in Core :)

Yuan-Ti Warriors: Really now? Monstrous infantry in Core? This army really has Everything,doesn't it? I would consider them slightly undercosted compared to Ogre Tribesmen, given that the have the same save but exchanging Parry for Poison attacks and Cold-blooded and +1I for roughly the same cost. They really need to be more expensive or not be Core.

Important, you forgot the rule Sons of the Avalanche. Also this unit share two categories Core and Yuan-ti caste (35%)
      That is all
      Halflings (Homebrew)
      Feral Orcs (Homebrew)
    • Petterwass wrote:

SPECIAL

Naga Chariot: Very sad that it isn't pulled by giant sneks :( Seems quite well costed compared to the BH one. Nothing to complain about. though given that it can Vanguard, should it really be cheape rthan the BH one which cannot?

Royal Guard: A bit Mediocre are they not? 4+AS, S4 I4 WS4. But their multitude of Special Rules make them a very solid unit to anchor your battleline on. And with a Priestess I Think they could do some real damage. Mediocre by themselves but really good when blessed. Like a Special version of the EoS Halberdiers.

Naga Headhunter: Don't put Skirmish on a melee unit. Just don't. It's a terribly designed rule for them. Go Light Troops + Hard Target instead. Leave Skirmish for the dedicated ranged skirmish squads. They die to a stiff breeze but aren't too expensive. i don't know. Hard to evaluate. I Think they should be I4 base so they at least get to use their lethal strikes Before they die.

Mmm… Yes I give Light Troops and I4 plus paired of weapons this guys have I5 but I don’t give to them Hard Target. I think are balanced and no overlap with special rule Aura of Darkness of Anathemas.

Chosen of Seth: 2+ AS elite cavalry with Divive Attacks. Not bad at all. immune to Phychology on a cavalry unit is a double-edged sword indeed. I though about considering them overcosted compared to EoS Electoral Cavalry but.... Cold-Blooded.

Could be I drop the points. 255 pts 5 models and the extra 7 models to 47 pts
      That is all
      Halflings (Homebrew)
      Feral Orcs (Homebrew)
    • Petterwass wrote:

Anathemas: Lots of Monstrous Infantry in this army! Here comes Another one! Does Aura Of Darkness requite the Twisted Effigy spell to go off to work? It might be that this should be two abilities. A powerful buff!Snek but rather unimpressive in combat for its prize. Buff-wagons are Always hard to cost so I'm not going to try.

Yes, they are two different abilities. Also give soft cover is worst than Hard Target. Also stats of Anathema is quite soft. The only thing remarkable is that have 4w.
      Again, Thank you for your feedback

That is all
      Halflings (Homebrew)
      Feral Orcs (Homebrew)
    • setrius wrote:

Petterwass wrote:

Important, you forgot the rule Sons of the Avalanche. Also this unit share two categories Core and Yuan-ti caste (35%)
      That is all
      I didn't. I just considered SotA and Poison Attacks to be roughly equivalent in my analysis

• With the new GW models just released this army just got easier to model. :) I was actually having ideas for concept for nagas when I stumble upon your army list.
      ETC 2006 #2 (LM), ETC 2007 #4 (Brets), ETC 2008 #12 (LM), ETC 2009 #3 (DoC), ETC 2010 #1 (VC), ETC 2011 #2 (WoC & AR member), ETC 2012 #4 (Ogre & AR member), ETC 2013 #3 (Ogre, AR member & FAQ member), ETC 2014 #5 (Skaven & AR member), ETC 2015 #7 (DoC), ETC 2016 #4 (Coach), ETC 2017 #4 (Coach), ETC 2018 #5 (Media).

"Fantasy Battles: The 9th Age Founding Member"
    • el rey wrote:

With the new GW models just released this army just got easier to model. :) I was actually having ideas for concept for nagas when I stumble upon your army list.
      I need actualize this army into 2.02. anyway if you want pick up some ideas from these army you are welcome.

That is all
      Halflings (Homebrew)
      Feral Orcs (Homebrew)
    • Hi.
      Not to hijack this thread, but there is another thread developed, where a few Nagas are associated with Dark Elves.
      Possibly some ideas from here may be useful there, and reversely.

Dread Traffickers of Maphria Island
      :)

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
    • Calisson wrote:

Hi.
      Not to hijack this thread, but there is another thread developed, where a few Nagas are associated with Dark Elves.
      Possibly some ideas from here may be useful there, and reversely.

Dread Traffickers of Maphria Island
      :)
      Hi,
      lately I'm a little disconnected. Lets see if next year I have more time.

That is all
      Halflings (Homebrew)
      Feral Orcs (Homebrew)