The Savage Arts of Playtrolling

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Furion wrote:

I confirm the flintlock scenario of @Herminard. Also, I was a witness to the greatest ice-breaking line I have ever witnessed in my life. Maybe The Druid himself will have audacity to boast with it, I am too humble to bring it to the light of day.

Please do us the honours and share this tale. If be it one you too humble to bring, and for @SmithF too unreasonably impolite - then the tale might amuse a man or two in this hard knock life :)
      Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
      Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
      Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

Do not fall to the folly of the best laid of plans - for the mind of man is fickle in the face of the dice gods.
      Give yer high fives where yer opponents dice have been blessed, and in equal give yer handshakes when they fall in malicious ways.
    • Herminard wrote:

Furion wrote:

I confirm the flintlock scenario of @Herminard. Also, I was a witness to the greatest ice-breaking line I have ever witnessed in my life. Maybe The Druid himself will have audacity to boast with it, I am too humble to bring it to the light of day.
      Please do us the honours and share this tale. If be it one you too humble to bring, and for @SmithF too unreasonably impolite - then the tale might amuse a man or two in this hard knock life :)

I have conferred with Furion and though I could not initially pinpoint witch story he would tell - we are going to let this one remain analogue.

Though on a related note - are there any old woods left in Lux? I have an idea for sumth fun @Lux2020

Do not fall to the folly of the best laid of plans - for the mind of man is fickle in the face of the dice gods.
      Give yer high fives where yer opponents dice have been blessed, and in equal give yer handshakes when they fall in malicious ways.
    • Herminard wrote:

Cortrillion wrote:

The insane ramblings of a syphilitic brain... I can only speculate at the debauchery that happens in you gave.

No, i just want to see you set in fire... Flint and Steel you say.
      Can you please basic syntax and again?
      No, im on my phone with danish autoerrection and im dyslexic. Tales(takes) a Lot of Work to write anything, let alone with correct Spelling and syntax... Gave was cave and so forth.
    • Cortrillion wrote:

Herminard wrote:

Cortrillion wrote:

The insane ramblings of a syphilitic brain... I can only speculate at the debauchery that happens in you gave.

No, i just want to see you set in fire... Flint and Steel you say.
      Can you please basic syntax and again?
      No, im on my phone with danish autoerrection and im dyslexic. Tales(takes) a Lot of Work to write anything, let alone with correct Spelling and syntax... Gave was cave and so forth.

Well, as it was I did not at all engage in sex - so indeed extracorporeal/insane. Little syphilis, but my cave can be a rather wild place aye.

• Cortrillion wrote:

@Herminard come to nørdemarked in Denmark on the 12.-13. oct. Link

Its @Henrypmiller and co. So im sure he already invited you. But, if you make it to the tournament i got some home made steels for you to try out and take home. Just dont have a maiden set you on fire til after the tournament.
      PLEASE say that it is NOT a singles tournament.

• Will you allow this @Stunt?

Ivan wrote:

two-sided angle tools

I measured them to the utmost scrutiny while Feytor was leaving the table. I told people on both sides to keep their tounge while I did my examinations.

I gave my questions to @Furion while @Rince and @debek were bystanders - also present were ref @KeyserSoze. I were very clear to start the assessment with considerations regarding the _physical_ properties of the tool. Once my long hard look at the physical properties had been completed - there was one thing that had to be made perfectly clear:

The arguments for this as a cheating device for _own_ gain are null and void.

---

Next, it would be possible - by malicious use - to offer your opponent to use your measurement stick wrongfully. This is why I told them that I would expect the toolstick to have a stronger differentiation of color front to back.

---

Next, there are some factors of emotion. Like fear of being fooled by a tabletop foe - or the fear of a personal attribute like supreme skill of a game suddenly shattering.

I understand well that these implications matter _more_ than the physical attributes of the measurement stick itself - cuz if you dont like the physical side of it, you can just use your own to double check.

Hence - it is my argument that the critic of the stick can be boiled down to the amount of time&energy spent for the opponent to understand and accept the function of this stick.

Considering how understanding complex features are such a monumental part of this level of ETC play - I would imagine it should not require a tremendous part of yer efforts to understand the qualities of this piece of wood.

Dirty Ivy wrote:

Yell. 1 hour. 5 repeats of movement.

That may well be so. Also - emotions were involved. And that is fair. I dont have a great deal of emotions attatched to this, because nothing is at stake for me.

I have been thinking about how Furion managed to envision this possibility of space and angles, and can only assume that it comes down to his profession in conjuction to his passion.

Still even as I look at the images today - I must look very slowly and carefully to grasp how things went about. And you can be very sure - that even if a man I would trust to hold my sack while I let the water wanted to do this manouvre in the fields of battle; he would quite likely have to repeat the movements a handful of times.

Also - @Furion - it is generally counterproductive to increase the volume of your voice to someone not immediately grasping a complex concept. The Limbic system kicks in and reduces cognitive powers. Also - it is generally more trustworthy to be allowed to try to move things yourself instead of having someone show you how they moved. If at all possible.

Now - show us yer next act, if you please.

Skàll,

• Koller wrote:

Herminard wrote:

Warboss Tooth for compensating for a useless list by bringing a 100 feet distracting aura that he clearly did not reference in his list
      Say what?

Herminard wrote:

Now ask me about another scandal - ETC was a gold mine.
      Is there some "scandals" you have not mentioned yet?
      One further Scandal.

At said bar which @Herminard mentioned I was serving at. Prices were increased because I was too lazy to count out monopoly money at peak times.

If anyone would like a refund of said additional charges, please send me a proof of purchase and I will happily refund you your £0.1 per tequila shot.

Background Team

9th Scroll Editor

Ammertime Podcast Host
      soundcloud.com/ammertime-podcast
      Team Ireland ETC 2019 :HE:
    • Henrypmiller wrote:

This is gold.

Thanks! Also check out the Savage Spartans in the HBE list building section. It seems the internet have eaten most of the deployment pictures et al - but the content is quite related to Playtrolling in general

• #ratemybattlelinewisesavageofthenord
      (If you feel like it :))

--- Characters ---
      635 - Prophet, General, Shield, Kadim Bindings (70), Mask of the Furnace (65), Besheluk's Mechanism (50), Alchemist's Alloy (15), Shield, Wizard, Wizard Master, Alchemy
      375 - Chosen of Lugar, Lugar's Dice (70), Gauntlets of Madzhab (25), Great Weapon, Battle Standard Bearer
      --- Core ---
      570 - 25x Infernal Blunderbuss, Shield (25), Shield (25), Musician, Standard Bearer
      675 - 20x Citadel Guard, Shield (20), Flintlock Axe (3+) (20), Shield (20), Flintlock Axe (3+) (20), Musician, Standard Bearer, Rending Banner
      --- Special ---
      701 - 23x Immortals, Shield (23), Infernal Weapon (23), Shield (23), Infernal Weapon (23), Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Flaming Standard
      --- Bound and Binders ---
      695 - 23x Disciples of Lugar, Paired Weapons (23), Paired Weapons (23), Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Rending Banner
      575 - 5x Kadim Incarnates
      --- Barrage ---
      130 - Gunnery Team - Flamethrower
      --- Total ---
      4 486
    • Shako wrote:

#ratemybattlelinewisesavageofthenord
      (If you feel like it :))

--- Characters ---
      635 - Prophet, General, Shield, Kadim Bindings (70), Mask of the Furnace (65), Besheluk's Mechanism (50), Alchemist's Alloy (15), Shield, Wizard, Wizard Master, Alchemy
      375 - Chosen of Lugar, Lugar's Dice (70), Gauntlets of Madzhab (25), Great Weapon, Battle Standard Bearer
      --- Core ---
      570 - 25x Infernal Blunderbuss, Shield (25), Shield (25), Musician, Standard Bearer
      675 - 20x Citadel Guard, Shield (20), Flintlock Axe (3+) (20), Shield (20), Flintlock Axe (3+) (20), Musician, Standard Bearer, Rending Banner
      --- Special ---
      701 - 23x Immortals, Shield (23), Infernal Weapon (23), Shield (23), Infernal Weapon (23), Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Flaming Standard
      --- Bound and Binders ---
      695 - 23x Disciples of Lugar, Paired Weapons (23), Paired Weapons (23), Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Rending Banner
      575 - 5x Kadim Incarnates
      --- Barrage ---
      --- Total ---
      4 486

Mhmmmm....

The PRO:

- I am seeing 4 bricks of decidedly MMU qualities.
      - I am seeing characters supporting the bricks instead of vice versa - and these characters are not shy to get their shoes wet.
      - For ID: I am seeing decent flexibility in deployment and decent flexibility in magebunkering.

The CON:

- I do not see a plan for stepping into the dreaded no-mans land. This means you will often end up in a standoff situation against opponents of greater charge ranges. While your blunders, flintlocks and flamers are nice support tools - I dont find Alchemy do not offer sufficient ranged options to warrant the standoff as a reliable plan. Hence you will often find yourself lurking for openings with the Kadims.

- The Kadims are not a Battle Line unit.

As a Hermnardian Battle Line, I rate this list:

Display Spoiler
      69!

Yes, this army does bear all apparant traits of an MMU Battle Line, but I dont trust its battle plan. I fear a weak standoff game with kadims on a solo mission and 1-2 of your expensive blocks getting picked off by superior force.

What I would include instead to make this a more functional Battle Line in the Hermnardian sense; Orc Slaves.
      Shove them in the face of the opponent and push your Battle Line into threat range distance or objective contesting space.