Wrath Warriors of the Dark Gods - Axel Vicious at the Team England Championships 2017

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Wrath Warriors of the Dark Gods - Axel Vicious at the Team England Championships 2017

So I entered a 2 day, 5 game tournament at the excellent Element Games North West Gaming Centre (my local one fortunately). I took the following list to it.

• Lord of Chaos mounted on a Wasteland Manticore: General, Mark of Wrath, Lucky Shield, Ogre Sword, Talisman of Supreme Shielding, Soul Feeder, 840
      • Harbinger of Chaos: Battle Standard Bearer, Mark of Wrath, Shield, Wastehardened Skin, Duskstone, 440
      • Wrath Priest: Flail, Crown of Scorn, 210
      • Barbarian Chief: Mark of Wrath, Åsklander Jarl, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Throwing Weapon, 244
      • 16 Wasteland Warriors: Full Command Group, Banner of Speed, Mark of Wrath, Paired Weapons, 582
      • 23 Barbarians: Full Command Group, Mark of Wrath, Throwing Weapons, 322
      • 3 Crusher Knights: Lance, 502
      • 5 Warhounds: 100
      • 6 Barbarian Horsemen: Throwing Weapons, Shields, 208
      • 3 Dragon Centaurs: Champion, Great Weapons, 490
      • Elder Dragon Centaur: Halberd, 560

Nothing to dissimilar to what I took to the last tournament but it’s all I have painted for the Wozzas so it had to do.

Game 1 VS DH

So game 1 of the tournament and I was drawn against those pesky stunties with the list below (I’ve added the red bits to explain what all those runes do)

• 610-king(general)-plate armour, shield bearers, great weapons, rune of resistance, rune of steel, rune of iron, rune of forge, rune of dragons breath (1+, RR, Re roll Successful Wounds, 2++ against flaming, Breath Weapon)
      • 480-king-plate armour, shield, 2xrune of shielding, rune of destruction, rune of smashing, rune of fury, rune of iron (+1 A, S10 v T5+, D3 Wounds, +2 Ward save, 2+ AS)
      • 216-thane-plate armour, shield, rune of dragons breath, rune of kinship (Breath Weapon, can join ambushers)
      • 299-runic smith-plate armour, shield, rune of resilience, rune of gleaming, rune of reckoning, rune of dragons breath (Breath Weapon, Bound spells that do -1 to hit, -1 to wound and re roll to hits)
      • 186-thane bsb-plate amour, shield
      • 793-26xgraybeard-full command, shields, throwing weapons, flaming standard
      • 432-18xclan marksmen-cross bows, shields
      • 758-26x deep watch-full command, stalkers standard
      • 395-15xminers-pistols, musician, standard
      • 160-steam chopper-attack chopper
      • 160-steam chopper-attack chopper

The first game was classic deployment and the secondary objective was breakthrough. Going into this I thought the scenario was exactly what I wanted against Dwarves, it’s not usually a problem for me to get across the board but it can be for dwarves, especially if they don’t want me attacking their rear. Also I thankfully got the one dwarf list with no warmachines as they could have ruined me. My basic plan was to try my best to avoid the 2nd King who is S10 and does D3 wounds, he can kill pretty much my whole army (I made a mistake going in thinking the king was S10 against things with S or T 5+, so I was thinking he would kill my BSB in one go too). I had to kill the xbows and the miners and keep three units alive to get the objective. I sisn’t want to go near either blocks ideally as dwarves can be tough to kill, even for Warriors!

We deployed as shown, the killy Dwarf King, thane and runic smith went in the Graybeards and the other king and BSB went in the deepwatch. I dropped first with the aim of getting the first turn. I wasted my horsemen on the far right, they were to far away out of the action to do anything and their shooting attacks are essentially useless in this game. My opponent wanted to protect the xbows and just rush them into my deployment zone.

Warriors 1 - I went first and moved up towards the dwarves, fairly cautiously I thought, kept the dogs hidden behind the hill so he couldn’t charge them.

DH 1 - My opponent just turned his blocks at angles and shuffled forwards a bit, the xbows moved a bit further.

Warriors 2 – I moved my army around some more so we are basically playing battle for the pass, I try and cattle in the copters but there is nothing I can really do about them with no magic and oor shooting. The barbarians fail to turn up this turn.

DH 2 – The Dwarves turn at me and march towards me, being a lot more aggressive than I was expecting, I’m worried for my dragon ogres now as the killy dwarf king is looking right at them and I’ve positioned my dogs badly so I can’t even chaff them up. To rub salt into the wound the miners turn up and kill a dog!

Warriors 3 – The DC slide back away from the Greybeards, making a large charge if they want to try it, the warriors turn to face the deepwatch, the crushers face the flank of the deepwatch but the copter will make sure that doesn’t happen. (I really need more ways to kill chaff!). The Manticore and EDC move into the middle of the units although neither want to go near the graybeards. The barbarians turn up and go behind the xbows, throw their weapons but fail to wound.

DH 3 – The Deepwatch charge down the hill into my warriors and make it. The Graybeards try the same into my DC but fail it. The Crossbows run down the side of the board away from my barbarians. One copter chaffs up the barbarians and the other copter does the same to the crushers. Not sure how I could have avoided that, don’t think there was much I could have done about it except kill the copters earlier.

In shooting the miners kill 2 more dogs but they make their panic test. In combat my BSB issues his mandatory challenge and the champ accepts, he kills him. The warriors only manage to kill 2 dwarves and in return deepwatch and the king do 6 wounds to my warriors! I lose combat by 5 taking me down to a Ld 4 breaktest and I make it! Phew! That was a massive breaktest to make, if I failed that then it was all over for me and I’d just be running around trying to conserve points I think.

Warriors 4 – The DC charge the flank of the Deepwatch but they are still in the LoS of the Graybeards. So I have to sacrifice my EDC as some very expensive chaff in this case. I could have also thrown my Lord into the deepwatch but I wanted him to go killing some miners to try and get their units out of my deployment, so I move him behind the gray beards facing the miners and xbows. The crushers charge the copter and the barbarians charge their copter too. I move the dogs up with the aim of chaffing up the graybeards and the same with the horsemen.

In combat the BSB is now in a challenge with the King (there should be some punishment for my opponent if he doesn’t accept the challenge first time round with a character, I’m sick of killing champions!). In the challenge we do a wound each, which I’m happy with. However, now that the king is in a challenge with the BSB my Wrath Priest can’t fight this round. I put 4 warriors (8 attacks) into the Dwarf BSB and do 2 wounds! The rest of the unit and the DC kill 7 dwarves. In return the dwarves only kill one warrior. I win combat and I should have done some combat reforms to get the Wrath Priest into combat with some R&F and also to move a DC behind my front row so he can get some support attack because he is now out of combat but I was lazy and I didn’t even think of it to be honest.

The Crushers kill their chopper and overrun and the barbarians fail to kill their chopper so they are stuck in combat.

DH 4 - The Graybeards charge the EDC (He must be the most expensive bit of chaff of all time). The xbows march around to face the Manticore and the miners open fire into the Manticore but do nothing.

In combat the Killy King kills the EDC easily, the EDC does get to swing back and decides to hit the king in return but only does a wound, worth a go! The Graybeards can now reforn so that theyare looking right the rear of the DCs and there is no way I can block them up. Again this is my fault I should have positioned the EDC facing the other way so that the unit would have had to slide away from the combat meaning I can then throw the dogs or marauders at them to chaff them up some more, oh hindsight!

In the Deepwatch combat the King does another wound to the BSB but the BSB does nothing back. The warriors kill off the Dwarf BSB (unbelievable luck there doing it in 2 rounds of combat) and the unit kill off another 6 dwarves. The dwarves kill off one more warrior in return. “I thought these stunties were supposed to be good at the grind?!” bellowed the Wrath Priest, whilst twiddling his thumbs wondering why he didn’t just move along the line and smack a dwarf in the face with his flail!

The Barbarian chief finally chops down the chopper but I leave them to just face the enemy deployment zone so I can get the objective.

Warriors 5 – I charge the Manticore lord at the miners as it’s either charge them and take a flank charge from the crossbows or charge the crossbows and take a rear charge from the miners. Although a flank charge from the xbows will give him more attacks as there will be more more models in combat they will only be S4 but the miners would be 5 on the charge. The Lord laughs at the pathetic boomsticks of the miners as it yet again does nothing to his tough as nails Manticore (and his ward save)!

I move the barbarians into the deployment zone, turn the crushers round to face the combat, curse myself for my poor positioning and inability to do anything about the Graybeards now. I aimlessly move the dogs and horsemen around knowing that the DCs are doomed and probably the warriors soon after.

Onto combat and the Manticore lord kills 7 miners and takes no wounds in return but they make their breaktest on a steadfast 8.

Over to the Deepwatch combat and in the challenge no one can hurt anyone as it’s 0 wounds a piece this round. In the main combat however, this time the DC and the Warriors turn it on (and the Deepwath turn it off) as I manage to kill 10 Dwarves! I have no idea how that happened but it’s nice to be having some good luck (don’t worry, it changes) I lose one warrior in return but this leaves him with 1 regular R&F guy left, I have one set of double stomps left to kill him, if I do then the king isn’t stubborn anymore and he is going to get run down. I wound the little git leaving him with a 5+ AS……………………which he makes! NOOOOOOooooooooo! The dice build you up and then smash you down again. The Deepwatch make their breaktest and now it is not looking good for the Dragon Centaurs.

DH 5 – The Graybeards charge the rear of the Dragon Centaurs. The xbows charge the flank of the Manticore Lord. In the magic phase the runic smith casts the -1 to hit on the Graybeards trying to deny me the points! It was either let off the -1 to hit or the -1 to wound, the -1 to hit is the safer option as I’m wounding on 4’s as it is.

In combat the Chaos Lord fails to kill anyone, and that’s with 5 attacks hitting on 2s wounding on 2s! The Manticore does kill 4 miners at least but I have now lost combat by 2 (thanks to that pesky hill!), luckily I make my LD7 breaktest.

In the big combat the BSB and the Dwarf Lord tickle each other some more with no wounds on either side. The Warriors can’t kill the last remaining Dwarf (Only two guys in base to base contact didn’t help). The Killy King does 7 wounds to the Dragon Centaurs killing two of them (one had already taken a wound), the Graybeards do no wounds to the last Dragon Centaur, the Dragon Centaur manages to kills the final Deepwatch and stomps a Graybeard but alas it is too little too late. With the 7 wounds done by the Killy King and the rear charge, etc we are breaking automatically. The King chases the Warriors but the Graybeards don’t chase the Dragon Centaurs, instead they decide to face the Crushers, I guess they my opponent was scared of a flank charge from them as the Killy King was on the wrong side. The Warriors and the final Dragon Centaur get away. The dogs fail a panic test too, never to be seen again.

Warriors 6 – It's my last turn and the Warriors and the Dragon Centaur are both in my opponents deployment zone, all I have to do is rally, keep the points and claim the objective. The warriors go first and roll a 10! They keep running but stay on the board. It’s ok though because the Dragon Centaur can still rally and claim the objective, he rolls a 9 and keeps running! I should still be ok though because the Lord will finish off the miners leaving him with just the xbows in my deployment and I’ll have the crushers and the barbarians. But wait, I forgot about the frenzy check, I roll for the crushers and roll an 11! The idiots decide to charge out of the opponents deployment zone and instead get murdered by a very angry dwarf King! With the entire stand and shoot reactions from the dwarves (throwing weapons and 2 breath weapons) all the crushers take only 2 wounds and make it in intact for now.

With the warriors and the Dragon Centaur fleeing I have to put the horsemen in front of the king to stop him declaring a charge on the warriors and having them run off the table. I have to conserve points now.

In combat the Manticore kills the last of the miners and the lord receives no wounds back from the xbows. The dwarves lose combat but stick.

The Crushers put their attacks into the lord (if I can kill him, as unlikely as it is, I might still have a chance) but do nothing. It's at this point i learn that the Killy King only gets S10 against T5 or higher. I was getting mixed up with the KoE Virtue that works against T5 or S5 or higher, So the crushers are safe from the lord, just not from the rest of the unit. If i realised this earlier it may have been a very different game. The lord kills a Crusher and the unit get's another one, The Crushers lose combat and run away, he doesn’t pursue but rather pivots to face the back of my Manticore. It’s a long charge and he needs a 10 on the dice to make it.

DH 6 – The Graybeards fail their charge against the Manticore. The king charges the horsemen. In magic the thane gets -1 to wound on the xbows but it doesn’t really matter now. In combat the Manticore Lord kills a lot of xbows but they are still steadfast and make their test. It should be noted that my Lord still hasn’t taken a wound at this point, he’s been shot at with pistols several times and been in combat for 4 rounds straight and is still unscathed, what a boss!

The Dwarf King kills 3 horsemen, who break but aren’t run down. Game over.

In the end the game was a 12-8 win to the dwarves. My last turn was abysmal and I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. The warriors failing to rally was 500 points to the dwarves and lost me the objective. The Crushers were the same as well, if I made either of those Ld tests it would have been 12-8 to me. I do like that the game was so swingy though and it was really down to a couple of rolls that determined it. I had my moments of luck like making the Ld 4 breaktest on the warrior block turn 3, and then having the warriors go to town on the Deepwatch but I think leaving the Deepwatch on one guy was actually a hindrance because it meant I couldn’t get any combat res out of the unit due to having so few attacks back. I used my chaff really badly, didn’t know what to do with the dogs (should have just ran them at the blocks to slow them down for a turn) and I sent the horsemen out wide which was a terrible move as they couldn’t be where they needed to be. Leaving the Crushers facing towards the battlefield was a mistake on my part and was down to laziness, I was going to have them face down the line just to keep them safe but though they were fine anyway (stupid frenzy checks) I also need to use combat reforms better, or at least remember that I can do it and think about whether there is anything in need to do.

If i realised the Killy King only worked against T5 or higher i probably would have sent my warriors against him and his unit, probably be stuck there forever if the breath weapons didn't hurt too much and then smashed the Deepwatch with everything else

I like to think I am learning with every use of my army but it honestly doesn’t get better as you will witness in the next games. Thanks for reading!
      Files
      • D1.JPG

(76.28 kB, downloaded 467 times, last: )
      • D2.JPG

(73.48 kB, downloaded 466 times, last: )
      • D3.JPG

(75.89 kB, downloaded 462 times, last: )
      • D5.JPG

(71.3 kB, downloaded 462 times, last: )
      • D6.JPG

(67.46 kB, downloaded 457 times, last: )
      • Deployment.JPG

(74.09 kB, downloaded 462 times, last: )
      • W3.JPG

(79.82 kB, downloaded 453 times, last: )
      • W4.JPG

(76.34 kB, downloaded 456 times, last: )
      • W5.JPG

(74.14 kB, downloaded 455 times, last: )
      • W6.JPG

(73.64 kB, downloaded 456 times, last: )
    • On to Game 2 and now I was drawn against a fellow Warrior of the Dark Gods player, not only that but he was also running a Mono Wrath list like a true Hero of Chaos! His list

• Lord of Chaos on Wasteland Dragon: General, Mark of Wrath, Giant Blade, Lucky Shield, Lucky Charm, Charm of Cursed Iron, 1,090
      • Harbinger of Chaos: BSB, Mark of Wrath, Great Weapon, Talisman of Supreme Shielding, 430
      • 25 Wasteland Warriors: Standard Bearer & Musician, Mark of Wrath, Great Weapons, Banner of Speed, 900
      • 7 Wasteland Knights: Standard Bearer & Musician, Mark of Wrath, Daemon Weapons, Gleaming Icon, 596
      • 1 Wasteland Chariot – Single Mauler: Mark of Wrath, 320
      • 3 Once-Chosen: Mark of Wrath, Flails, 266
      • 5 Warhounds: 100
      I’ll be honest, I was terrified of that dragon going in, I thought it was just going to pick off my army one bit at a time, and there was nothing I could do about it. The little units of Once Chosen had me worried as well, although pretty much all my units can beat them, with flails they can put some serious hurt into me before they die, weakening my units and making them ineffective. I’m personally not sold on units of Warriors with Great Weapons, I find going last to be a massive disadvantage, if I could multi charge them then I should be ok, otherwise I would avoid them as best I could. I think the Knights can never be as good as Crushers so I wasn’t too worried about them either.

The deployment was diagonal and the objective was hold the centre ground. My basic plan going in was to try and pick off the Once Chosen and Knights and hope I had enough units left to take the objective.

We deployed as shown, My opponent trying to use his dogs to goad out my Crushers and let them go and do suicidal things. I dropped everything after three goes and let my opponent have first turn. For the hold the centre ground going second seems to be preferable and as he had no shooting or magic I wasn’t bothered about going first.

Oppo Warriors 1 – He moves most of his units forward but leaves the knights and the chariots back a bit incase I break through. He doesn’t run the dogs as far forward as he should meaningmy EDC can just charge them, saving my crushers for now.

My Warriors 1 – I charge the EDC at the dogs and charge My Manticore at a unit of Once Chosen. The dogs go and chaff up some once chosen on the left and the horsemen run round to the right and take a wound of one unit of once chosen with their throwing weapons. The rest of my army backs up a bit. In combat The EDC kills the dogs but not before they get a wound through on him! The Manticore kills 2 Once Chosen before they can swing back, the last remaining guy does no wounds to me, breaks from combat and is run down. I do however lose a wound to a dangerous terrain test! The Overrun leaves my Lord open to a flank charge from the Knights but I’m just not worried about them as I’m going first and should kill a few before they hit me back.

Oppo Warriors 2 – The knights charge my Manticore and lose 1 guy through DTs! The two units of Once chosen on the left charge the dogs. The warrior block stays in the middle, the Once Chosen on the right charge the DC but fail. The chariot stays where it is. The Dragon turns to face my Manticore and now I’m beginning to panic, although I’m not worried about the knights I don’t think I’ll wipe them out in one round of combat and it depends how many wounds I have left when they Dragon comes balling in.

In combat the Once Chosen kill the dogs and overrun but don’t clip the EDC thankfully. In the Manticore combat my Lord kills 3 Knight before he can swing and the Manticore kills another one leaving him with just 2 but 3 get to attack back as Knights are I5 like my Manticore. That’s just 6 attacks back and they can’t hit me, wound me or get past my ward save. A horse does a wound though, obviously, they always do better than their riders! I win combat but they stick. I soul feed a wound back as well so I’m back on 3 wounds.

My Warriors 2 – I use the EDC as a lovely bit of chaff again to hold up the warrior block and then Move the DCs and the Crushers up so that one of them could get a flank charge after the inevitable. The Barbarians come on and I put them coming on in my opponents deployment zone, they are relatively useless in this battle but their ranks may come in handy for breaking the warriors.

In Combat my Manticore Lord finishes off the last two knights, soul feeds his last wound back and turns to face the Dragon. I was dreading this fight initially but now I realise that I have a ward save and he doesn’t, I’m on full wounds too with soul feeder so I should actually do quiet well in this fight. He’s S8 but it won’t matter with my ward save. My best guess is that we will kill each other and I will take that.

I’ve included a picture of the end of the turn so you can see where I went wrong with my Crusher and DC positioning. Although I thought I was going to get a flank I really was only ever going to get a front charge because of their facing. I would have been better off having the Crushers face the same way as DCs, maybe have them both face out a bit more, then they would either both get a flank charge or only one would.

Oppo Warriors 3 – The Dragon charges my Manticore which would be an epic fight to watch! The warriors charge the EDC. The Once chosen on the right charge the warriors and fail and the Once chosen on the left turn to face the centre. The chariot comes out from behind his rock.

In combat with the warriors the EDC gets to strike first so I decide to put all attacks onto the BSB, probably a mistake given he has a 4++ but I don’t think the EDC can withstand that many S6 attacks anyway so I might as well. He does 2 wounds to the BSB, so close! I do my thunder stomps and kill 3 warriors before they easily cut him to pieces and now reform so that both the DC and the Crushers are facing the front. Careless on my part!

">

Onto the bout of the century! I let my opponents Lord go first, he’s hitting on 3s and wounding on 2s, lands 3 wounds but I ward 2 of them taking 1 wound. I strike back, hitting on 3s wounding on 3s and land 3 wounds too but he has no ward save so takes 3 wounds. The Manticore is next and fails to wound, then the Dragon attacks back and also fails to do any wounds (6A, hitting on 4s, wounding on 3s, 6+, 4++). He has a choice of breath weapons then. Either S4 flaming or S3 AP3, neither is particularly great (5s with a 4+, 4++ or 6s with a 6+, 4++). My opponent decides to use the flaming breath weapon but does nothing with it. I win combat but the dragon lord sticks. To rub salt into the wound I soul feed my wound back again!

My Warriors 3 – I decide to charge in both the Crushers and the DCs to the front and the Barbraians to the rear. The barbarians fail but the Crushers and DC make it in. Even though I’m unlikely to break them, I will certainly break the back of the unit making it easier for me to finish up. My warriors charge the lone unit of Once Chosen on the right hand side as that puts them in a great position over there. I put the horsemen behind the Once chosen so if they break and run through them then the Once Chosen have to take some DTs at least, not that useful on Monstrous Infantry but had nothing else to do with the horsemen.

">

In Combat the Crushers and the DCs do 12 wounds to the unit after stomps (I was hoping for a bit more than that but that is still a lot of dead warriors!) The warriors hit back and put most of their attacks into the Crushers and do 7 wounds, killing two of them, they then do 3 wounds to the DCs. I win combat but they stick around. I am then able to shuffle the DCs over to get them all in combat now.

The warriors take off the Once Chosen to a man before they can even strike back.

In the Monster battle The Lords go at the same time and this time my opponents Lord does 1 wound to me again and I do 2 wounds back to him. Then my Lord’s trusty steed gets to attack and finishes the Dragon off with a lethal strike! At this point I feel I have to apologise to my opponent, this shouldn’t happen, how is a Manticore Lord better than a Dragon Lord? He pays more points for his guy so I think he should be better, It wasn’t even a close contest in the end because I’m basically unscathed and there’s a dead Dragon at my Manticore’s feet.

I then soul feed the wound back, my lord should be dead if it wasn’t for soul feeder, think this is the first game I’ve ever had where it has actually worked this well for me. I turn the Manticore around to face my opponents army.

Oppo Warriors 4 – My opponent takes the loss of his lord like a champ and brings on the pain regardless. His chariot and one unit of Once Chosen flank charge the remaining Crusher but the Once Chosen fail. The other unit of Once Chosen can’t squeeze in the fight so moves up a bit.

In combat the impact hits from the Mauler Chariot kills off the Crusher before he can attack. The DC kill off another 7 warriors leaving him with just 3 warriors and his BSB on one wound. However, with the Warriors attacking at the same time as the DC they manage to do 9 wounds and kill off the unit (14 attacks, hitting on 2s, wounding on 3s will do that). The everyone just pivots to face the Manticore Lord.

My Warriors 4 – The Manticore Lord charges the Once Chosen furthest to the left. The Barbarians charge the rear of the Warriors and my Warriors move up towards the middle. The Manticore easily kills yet 2 in the unit of Once Chosen, the Lord takes a wound in return and soul feeds it back again. I break the Once chosen and chase him down. The Barbarians kill off the last 3 warriors in the unit but can’t hurt the BSB, who kills the Champ in a challenge before breaking from combat and running but the barbarians can’t catch him.

Oppo Warriors 5 – The Chariot comes crashing into the flank of the Barbarians and the final unit of Once Chosen charge into my Warrior block. The BSB rallies. The Chariot kills a lot of Barbarians, about 10 but they are steadfast and stick, they can’t reform though. The Warriors kill off the Once Chosen before they can even swing back as I have so many attacks going first, I then reform to face the flank of the chariot.

My Warriors 5 – My warrior block charges the flank of the chariot and the Manticore Lord walks out of the wood to face the way the Chariot will flee if it breaks. In combat the warriors do a couple of wounds to the chariot and the chariot kills some more Barbarians but not enough to win combat. It doesn’t break though so I move the Barbarians to face the chariot.

Oppo Warriors 6 – The BSB moves around to the back of the Barbarians and then it’s straight to combat. With the Barbarian Chief, Wrath and BSB all involved in the combat I easily smash the chariot to bits. I turn the Barbs to face the BSB.

My Warrios 6 - I decide against charging the Barbarians in against the BSB as he would just challenge out the Chief and then kill him easily where as I may not kill the BSB. I don’t want to give away those points.

The game ends with a 19-1 win to me. Although my plan changed greatly from what I first set out to do it seemed to work rather well. The Manticore lord was the star of the show though, and to think I was scared of the Dragon initially. I’m still disappointed in the Dragon Lord for my opponent and for WotDG players everywhere. It should be a destroyer of worlds, the thing that everyone is frightened of fighting. I think something needs to be done about ridden monsters, without the ward save they are just a liability, give them more wounds I say! 12 wounds!

Bar a couple of mistakes it was certainly the best I have played with the warriors. So with a total of 27 points onwards I went!
      Files
      • Deployment.JPG

(84.01 kB, downloaded 448 times, last: )
      • Impos2.JPG

(73 kB, downloaded 452 times, last: )
      • Impos3.JPG

(71.85 kB, downloaded 443 times, last: )
      • Impos4.JPG

(66.14 kB, downloaded 444 times, last: )
      • Impos5.JPG

(61.61 kB, downloaded 440 times, last: )
      • Impos6.JPG

(55.86 kB, downloaded 445 times, last: )
      • W1.JPG

(74.89 kB, downloaded 450 times, last: )
      • W2.JPG

(76.74 kB, downloaded 452 times, last: )
      • W3.JPG

(72.03 kB, downloaded 452 times, last: )
      • W4.JPG

(68.38 kB, downloaded 440 times, last: )
    • AxelVicious wrote:

I’m still disappointed in the Dragon Lord for my opponent and for WotDG players everywhere. It should be a destroyer of worlds, the thing that everyone is frightened of fighting
      Hehe, don't feel bad for Dragons, they are amazing against pretty much all infantry - the combat-res becomes insane.

I like small units of Once Chosen too, but I prefer Wrath and Halberds - quite potent for the cost.
      Open Source INTERNAL BALANCE: HBE | DL 2.2 | WDG 2.2 | ID | SA | VC
    • So onto Game 3. Now I was drawn against Empire of Sonnstahl and one of the two identical lists that were taken. A list I didn’t particularly relish fighting mostly because it doesn’t do a whole lot of fighting but an awful lot of shooting (Since when did Empire become the new Wood Elves?!). I was also rather drunk by this point and an MSU shooty list was the last thing I wanted to face but I imagine my opponent was delighted to be fighting a Warriors list with no magic and little shooting!

• Wizard, General, Master, 4 Spells, Essence of a Free Mind (Pyromancy/Thaumaturgy) [430pts]
      • Marshal, BSB, Great Tactician, Ring of Fire, Shield [276pts]
      • 10 Electoral Cavalry, Lance and Shield [400pts]
      • 5 Electoral Cavalry, GW and Shield [190pts]
      • State Militia x 10 Pistols, Skirmish 150
      • State Militia x10 Pistols, Skirmish 150
      • Reiters x9 Repeater Gun 324
      • Knights of the Sun Griffon x3 Lance and Shields 310
      • Cannon [260pts]
      • Steam Tank [440pts]

I had fought the Reiters before but not with the repeater handguns and I wasn’t too sure what they did. I’ve heard there weren’t very good but there must be something in it if two people took them. The wizard took Pyromancy and with the BSB and his ring of fire I was going to be taking a beating in the magic phase! My basic plan was to try and fence in the Reiters and hopefully get to kill them early on. If I fail to do that then I have to ignore them, otherwise I will spend all game running around pointlessly trying to kill them whilst they dance around and shoot me to death. In a way though I’m disappointed that there is no big enemy unit to aim all my units at. I like to have a target to sink my teeth into, all this MSU stuff just hurts my Wrath addled brain!

The Deployment was Encircle and the scenario was Secure Target (the objectives are the bullseye symbols on the deployment map). There wasn’t a whole lot of scenery on the table and a big killing zone in the middle was not great for me. My opponent picked sides and choose to have the big flanks, as good choice to stop me getting it. I dropped the dogs first waiting to see where he would put his stuff down, then my opponent took me by surprise and dropped his whole army! I really should have seen this coming after looking at his list, those Reiters need first turn so they can shoot without moving and the cannons can shoot down something. I then deployed as close to the line as I could, I had to rush on in there. I hid my Lord behind the hill from the cannons and on we went. I should say his wizard and BSB are in the State Militia 2 on the map, but they jump about a bit throughout.

EoS Turn 1 – The 2 Griffons on the left move up a bit and the third unit moves up so the wizard can get in range with some spells. In the magic phase the wizard miscasts and blows up 4 of his own guys, can’t remember the spell but it only killed one of my Warriors, the BSB kills a Horsemen. Onto the shooting phase, 2 units of Reiters shoot the Crushers and kill 2 models, the third unit of Reiters take 3 wounds off a Dragon Centaur. The Steam Tank misfires and takes a wound and the Cannon shoots at the EDC but misses. Not as disastrous a turn as it could have been but I’m definitely weaker for it.

Warriors Turn 1 – I basically run everything forward as fast as I can, which was a mistake as you will see.

EoS Turn 2 – In my impatience to stop getting shot at and to try and kill some sun worshippers I have left massive gaps in my advance meaning that all three units of Reiters can squeeze through and out of my charge arcs. I should have just held a unit back, maybe just left my lord behind the hill waiting for something to try and get round the back. 2 units of Griffons charge my Warriors, which I’m not too worried about. The other Griffons charge the dogs.

In the magic phase the wizard miscasts agin and kills 5 in the unit, leaving them with just one lone guy. The spell tries to finish off the Crusher but can’t get through his armour.

In shooting the Reiters shoot my lord but do no wounds but my Lucky Shield has gone. The cannon takes aim and hits him, wounds him, I fail my ward but luckily the cannon only does 1 out of 3 wounds +2 for being cannon and for clipped wings, leaving my Lord on one wound. Bringing him out was always a bit risky but still think he should be ok most of the time. One unit of Reiters shoot at the DC and pop off the last wound on one guy leaving me with 2 DCs left. The last unit of Reiters shoots at the EDC and does nothing.

In combat the the Sun Griffons 2 kill the Warhounds and turn to face the Warriors. In the Warrior combat the Griffons kill 6 Warriors but I manage to kill one Griffon on the Sun Griffon 3 unit and do 5 wounds on the one on Sun Griffon 1 unit. I win combat and both units break. I pursue Sun Griffon 1 hoping to catch them and then charge the cannon or the other Sun Griffon unit also to get away from all those Reiters and claim the objective on this side of the board. They get away anyway. Looking back on it now I might have been better chasing Sun Griffon 3 and getting in the middle of the board. I may have been able to get the Wizard then.

Warriors Turn 2 – The Warrior block charges off Sun Griffon 1 and are now left looking at board edge. The Crushers now have Sun Griffon 3 in front of them after they fled from the Warrior combat. The Crusher declares that charge, The Sun Griffon 3 flee through the State Militia in the forest who fail their panic and flee off the board. The Crushers fail to catch the Sun Griffons and the Sun Griffons are still on the board. The Manticore and the Horsemen both charge the cannon, the Horsemen make it but the Manticore fails. The EDC charges the flank of the knights but fails to make it and that was a short charge too! The DCs try to charge the State Militia 3 but fall short too. This could have been a massive swing to me if all my charges had come off but that’s the way it goes. The Barbarians turn up and throw their weapons at the small cav bus and do a wound.

In combat the Barbarians kill the cannon and overrun.

Eos Turn 3 – The large Cav bus charges the flank of the DCs and everything else turns as you can see. The EDC is going to have a lot of shots coming his way. One unit of Reiters goes around the back of my Lord hoping to ping off his final wound. The Sun Griffons that fled now rally on the board edge.

In the Magic Phase the wizard doesn’t miscast for once but does succeed in killing off the Crusher. In the Shooting Phase and the Reiters pop off the last wound on my Lord, I think that was inevitable, he was never going to last long against this much shooting! The EDC takes no wounds against 2 units of Reiters and one unit of State Militia.

Warriors Turn 3 – The EDC charges the Knight block and my opponent declares a flee with them, luckily my opponent missed my Horsemen still in the wood who then charge the Knights off the board! The Warriors face the Sun Griffon and try to move as far away from the Stank as possible. The Barbarians turn to face the Militia, they throw some weapons at them but only kill 1 guy.

EoS Turn 4 – The Sun Griffon 3 unit charges the Horsemen. The Sun Griffon 2 unit doesn’t charge my Warrior block but instead he moves the Steam Tank up and moves one unit of Reiters up to thin out their numbers a bit. The Reiters 2 move up a bit but Reiters 1 stay put to increase their aim. The wizard and BSB jump out of their small unit and into the other full unit who move away from the Barbarians.

IN the shooting phase the EDC takes 3 wounds this round thanks to the better accuracy. The warriors lose a couple of guys. In combat the horsemen lose 3 guys but do 2 wounds in return, somehow. They break from combat and the Griffons give chase, they catch the Horsemen but lose one more wound to DTs leaving them with one guy.

Warriors 4 – The Warriors charge the Sun Griffon hoping to repeat their earlier heroics. Rather than risking another failed charge with the Barbarians I move them up to throw their weapons at the Reiters, I manage to kill a couple! I move the EDC out of the way so if they want to shoot him they’re going to have to move.

In combat the Warriors fluff it this time and only do a wound, the Griffons do 3 wounds back. I still win but the Griffons stick.

Eos Turn 5 – The Steam Tank comes rolling into the rear of the Warriors. One unit of Reiters moves around to the rear of the EDC. The rest of the Empire army makes a gun line in the middle of the board.

The Barbarians lose a lot of guys to shooting, I’m down to about 10 models left at this point. The EDC cares nothing for those puny boomsticks and takes no wounds. In combat the Warriors are killed to a man by the Steam Tank and the griffons kill the Wrath Priest, no one can touch my BSB though. He does break from combat but manages to get away as the Steam Tank cannot pursue, a fair decision for random movers I think (I’ll cover this in Game 4).

Warriors Turn 5 – The EDC declares a charge against the Reiters, hopiong to terror bomb them off, their only Ld 7! But they make their Ld test and I fail the charge. The BSB rallies for what it’s worth. The Barbarians move up to shoot at the Reiters some more, but do nothing.

EoS Turn 6 – The Steam tank comes barrelling into the BSB. The Wizard and BSB jump out of their unit and join the lone guy from before. The State Militia throw themselves in front of the Barbarians and the other State Militia do the same to the EDC. The Sun Griffons grab the objective. In shooting the Barbarians take even more wounds, leaving me with 3 guys and the Chief. In combat the Steam Tank does a wound, the BSB does nothing in return and sticks.

Warrior Turn 6 – The Barbarians charge the State Militia, win combat but don’t catch them. The EDC charges the State Militia who fail their terror test and run, the EDC redirects into the small Cav bus who either stick and get killed in combat or run and get run down. This causes the Reiters to panic off. The BSB stays alive at the end as well. So I managed to scrape some points from that last turn but nowhere near enough. I lost the game 17 -3.

This was always going to be a tough match up for me, there’s so much shooting and at S4 AP1 it goes through my guys so easily. My opponent getting first turn was huge and I got complacent because I’m just used to going first anyway and never saw him going first at all, my mistake and one I won’t make again.

I played badly in my deployment and in my first turn, if I didn’t leave the Reiters anywhere to run in his Turn 2 I might have actually caught them. The EDC was the star of the show for me as his T6 helped him loads in this, I should have used him better because of it. I just wish his Terror was more effective!

I like the Empire list in its effectiveness at just shooting off the world and not being a standard gun line as the list is so quick, I can’t catch it! My only tip for fighting against it is to move out of the Reiters LoS as making the Reiters move makes them less effective so just running around a bit helps but that’s not what my list is designed to do so it’s no use to me. If I had some magic I would have found it a bit easier I think, just needed some magic missiles to get rid of the Reiters.

So I ended Day 1 on 30 points out of 60, so actually pretty happy with that, it’s what I was expecting.
      Files
      • Deployment.JPG

(96.32 kB, downloaded 407 times, last: )
      • EoS3.JPG

(89.02 kB, downloaded 409 times, last: )
      • EoS4.JPG

(86.56 kB, downloaded 404 times, last: )
      • EoS5.JPG

(83.24 kB, downloaded 401 times, last: )
      • EoS6.JPG

(80.13 kB, downloaded 408 times, last: )
      • W2.JPG

(97.63 kB, downloaded 409 times, last: )
      • W3.JPG

(83.94 kB, downloaded 400 times, last: )
      • W6.JPG

(76.66 kB, downloaded 397 times, last: )
      • EoS2.1.JPG

(88.82 kB, downloaded 406 times, last: )
      • W1.1.JPG

(91.2 kB, downloaded 405 times, last: )
    • The draw went up on Saturday night and I was drawn against my arch nemesis the Vermin Swarm for Game 4. I always struggle against VS due to their high numbers and insane amount of lethal toys they can bring to the table, most of which either ignores armour or does D3 wounds, sometimes both. I’ve played against VS a lot and I know most of their horrible tricks. KoE are my main army before I picked up the WotDG and nothing sums up the failure of cavalry in the 9th age like KoE v VS. Anyway, onto the list:

• Tyrant ,Army General, Vermin Guard Litter, Dark Shard Brew, Shield, Charm of Cursed Iron, Ogre Sword, Putrid Plate (485pts)
      • Tyrant ,The Doom Blade (360pts)
      • Magister, Master, 3x Extra Spells, Thaumaturgy, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fire (530pts)
      • Chief, Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sceptre of Vermin Valor (232pts)
      • 20 Rats-at-Arms (160pts)
      • 20 Rats-at-Arms (160pts)
      • 32 Slaves (118pts)
      • 31 Slaves (114pts)
      • 36 Vermin Guard, FCM, Rending Banner (636pts)
      • Dreadmill (250pts)
      • Dreadmill (250pts)
      • 9 Grenadiers (202pts)
      • 9 Grenadiers (202pts)
      • Abomination (400pts)
      • Abomination (400pts)

I was happy to see the Dreadmills in a list, that’s why I took the Dragon Centaurs in the first place! So I can laugh at their pathetic SD6x2, D3 wounds lightning attacks as I make a 2++ thanks to Lightning Rage! I really hate Dreadmills but I’ll cover that at the end. There are the obligatory Grenadiers but only 2 units at least. Double Abomb is very nasty, I think my Lord can take one in a fight but he’ll never kill it in one round of combat. A tyrant with the Doom Blade is the real deterrent for me, I can’t go near him with basically anything in my army, this is where good chaff comes in handy so you can try and kill him before he gets to kill anything of worth. The rest of the list is bare bones core hoping the toys do their job.

The deployment was Counterthrust and the secondary objective was Capture the Flags. My opponent picked my Barbarians, Dragon Centaurs and Crushers. I only had 3 units to pick from so VG and both rat at arms it was.

My basic plan was to hope that the Doom Blade carrier dies to his own toxic attacks and then charge. If that doesn’t happen, kill the Dreadmills and Abombs and take a small win. To over commit into that VG block is suicide for me. (He never fails a single Toxic Attack and I had to remind my opponent every turn to take it.)

The VS castle up in the corner to protect their Rat at Arms unit and put all the characters in the VG knowing I can’t go near that until the Doom Blade is gone. For the Dark Shard brew the VG get Lightning Reflexes. I finish deploying first putting the Dragon Centaurs at the front so the Dreadmills do nothing. I let him have first turn as I need to let the random movers come at me so I can smash the Dreadmills up with Dragon Centaurs.

VS Turn 1 – The Dreadmill on the right hits the board edge and doesn’t move very far, the pther one hits the impassable terrain so he doesn’t go too far as well. The Abombs run down the left hand side, one faster than the other. One slave block rushes at me.

Warriors Turn 1 – The Dragon Centaurs charge the slaves, as long as I’m killing something I’m happy. I slide them over as far to the right as I can so the Dreadmill can’t get past. I move the rest up a bit, the Crushers and Manticore to keep the Abombs in check. I’m playing quiet cagey and luckily my opponent decided to drop the Spell Comet when he rolled it which i was relieved at. In combat the DCs tear up the Slaves and kill 12 but their steadfast and stick.

VS Turn 2 – The Dreadmill rolls crazy high and is actually able to squeeze through the gap on the right but it is tight. The other Dreadmill aims to sneak past the EDC but it’s an ambitious roll to make it and it rolls just short (it was still a 14” or something).The Abombs run very far and go behind the hill so I can’t see them anymore. Grr!

In shooting the Dreadmill near the EDC misfires and takes a wound, the other one rolls S8 but I ward them all. In combat the DCs kill enough slave to break steadfast and they explode meaning I can pivot to face the flank of the Dreadmill. I forgot the slaves explode and was thinking as I’m now frenzied thanks to the lightning I’m going to have to pursue and run away from the Dreadmill, glad that didn’t happen.

Warriors Turn 2 – The Dragon Centaurs charge the Dreadmill and the EDC charges his Dreadmill. I now make an extremely foolish move and decide the Abombs are so far away now that it will be at least 3 turns before they can get near my warriors (they are about 30” away from the warriors). If they roll average I should be fine. So I move the Crushers up and put my lord on the flank incase one of the Abombs aims for him.

In Combat the EDC easily smashes his Dreadmill to bits and reforms to face the VG. The Dragon centaurs do not fare so well, they have 13 attacks now thanks to frenzy, hitting on 3’s wounding on 2’s and only do 3 wounds to the Dreadmill! The Dreadmill does 3 wounds back, 2 of them from the 2D6 S3 attacks. The Dreadmill loses by 1 and makes it’s breaktest.

VS Turn 3 – The Abombs move quiet far over the hill and out of the way of my units, which is obvious and I should have left my Manticore facing the hill for at least another turn. In magic the Magister kills 4 dogs but leaves me with one who makes his panic test. The Dreadmill shoots a S8 lightning bolt at my DCs and manages to kill one because I failed the ward (going to happen sometimes sadly). In combat the DCs finish it off but one of the DCs is now on 2 wounds. I turn them to face the VS.

Warriors Turn 3 – The DCs run up as fast as they can and out of the charge arc of the VG so can now get at the Rat at Arms and maybe get em the objective. I rush the rest forwards but still leaving my Lord to protect my Crushers rear from the Abomb. I should have turned him more so that I could have charged the Abombs if they headed for my warriors but I still had it in my head that they were out of the game.

VS Turn 4 – My opponent did something now that I totally didn’t see coming and it caught me off guard but also gave me opportunities. The Doom Blade Turant jumps out of the VG into the Rat at Arms in front of the DCs, so yeah, I’m not charging in there now but this has left the VG vulnerable. The slaves move up to chaff up the Crushers. The Abombs hurtle off the hill and are now about 10” from the Warriors, now I realise I’ve made a massive error and we are about to witness a massacre unless I pull of some mad skill.

In the Magic Phase the Magister kills off the Horsemen which is upsetting. In Shooting the Grenadiers kill off a Dragon Centaur leaving me with just the champ left.

Warriors Turn 4 – It’s now or never for to kill the VG. I charge the EDC at them, always hoping for a cheeky Terror check fail, doesn’t happen. I also charge the Warrior block at them, that’s a big charge, needing a 10 on 2D6. The EDC makes his charge and clips the flank, the Warriors fail and are now looking dangerously close to the Abombs. I now have to throw the Lord in the way and hope he can recreate the heroics he showed against the Dragon in Game 2. He then proceeds to fail his DT and take a wound, an omen if ever there was one. The Abombs are about 10” and 12” away from him, I can take one of them but two of them will spell disaster without some luck from me and some bad luck from the Abombs. The Crushers charge the slaves The Barbarians finally decide to turn up and come on to throw some weapons at the Grenadiers, killing one. The DC passes his frenzy check and gets the hell out of there. I didn’t know what to do with my dog at the time so I thought I’d put him in front of the VG, I have no idea why. I should have ran him I front of one of the Abombs.

In Combat the Crushers kill about 15 Slaves but they make their break test. The EDC kills about 6 VG but they make their steadfast break test and reform to face the EDC. My opponent thinks he may have made a mistake here by leaving his unit in horde formation, if he went deep then maybe the Doom Blade guy can charge out of his unit and clip the corner of the EDC. I don’t think it would have happened because once he reformed I can then ‘reform’ my EDC and I would have slid him into the middle of the nit, not exposing a corner. Anyway, I just need the EDC to stay in combat for a turn and keep the VG busy so that the Doomblade can’t get back in the unit.

VS Turn 5 – Both Abombs come crashing into the Lord! The Grenadiers reform to throw their globes at the EDC. One unit of Rat arms comes and faces the barabarians even though the Barbarians can’t charge this turn due to the impassable.

In shooting the Grenadiers open fire at the EDC but even with their re rolls to hitting friendly units they still kill 4 Vermin Guard and do no wounds to the EDC! In the Crusher combat they easily finish off the Slaves and pivot to face the Abombs, they may be needed there. Onto the Abomb combat and the Lord goes first and only does 3 wounds but the Abomb regens two of them and takes one wound, the Manticore does 2 wounds but they are both saved. Now comes the horrible part. The Abombs get 3D6 Attacks each, so 6D6 for the two, out of a possible maximum of 36 my opponent rolls 30! That’s my Lord done for. The Abombs are hitting on 5s and 12 get through, wounding on 3’s and 10 get through! I have a 6+ armour and a 4++, in the end I take 5 wounds and the Lord is dead L I think on average my Lord was probably dead when he failed that DT but I bit of luck would have been nice. The Abombs overrun into the Warriors, one in the rear and one in the flank.

In the Vermin Guard combat the Tyrant and the Vermin Guard do three wounds to the EDC. I decide to put all my attacks on the Tyrant on his litter, only need three wounds through but sadly I only get one through. Thunderstomp rolls a 1 and does nothing. The EDC breaks from combat but escapes, the dog fails his panic and runs.

Warriors Turn 5 – It’s looking real bad, I’ve lost but it just depends if I can save the Warriors. I charge the Crushers into the rear of one. The barbarians reform and shoot at the Rat at Arms killing 2. The EDC rallies and hides behind his rock.

Onto the big fight and the Crushers and the BSB easily kill one abomb before he can swing back. The warriors in the rear do 2 wounds to the Abomb in the back. The Abopmb, rolls poorly this time and only kills 6 Warriors. I win but the Abomb is stubborn and makes its break test.

VS Turn 6 – The Crushers are no longer in the fight with the Abomb so it’s up to the warriors to finish it off. The main VS armr shuffles up to get as main globes at the EDC as possible and one of units of grenadiers also acts as chaff for the Barbarians. In the Magic Phase the Magister is able to finish off the EDC with the Hand of Heaven spell. So the Grenadiers shoot at the Barbarians but don’t so enough to make me take a panic thankfully.

In the Combat with the Abomb the BSB does 2 wounds to the beast and it fails it’s regen. It now has 2 left. The Wrath priest does nothing and the warriors get 4 wounds through. I just need the Abomb to fail 2 of them. He rolls his saves and makes 3 of them! Balls!!! The Abomb retaliates and kills 8 warriors. I fail my Ld 5 re rollable break test and run. The Abomb is able to pursue 3D6 combined, none of that Swiftstride nonsense for this big mutant blob, himself and the Dreadmills are the fastest pursuers in the game! (ok, and the Fallen Beast but he ain’t winning combat against anything significant!). He easily catches the warriors but at least the Crushers can still see him.

Warriors Turn 6 – The Crushers charge the Abomb and finish him off. The Barbarians charge the Grenadiers and kill them too. End of game.

Neither of us got the Objective as all our scoring units are still alive (glad he didn’t pick the warriors). My opponent wins 14 – 6, which wasn’t as high as I feared looking at the end of the game.

I think I started off the game really well and had the measure of the VS but I became careless too early on and ignored the Abombs which is a huge mistake to make as was ably demonstrated by my opponent who tore my army apart with them. The Doomblade guy leaving the VG made me think I could have won that combat which I probably would have if my warriors were able to make their ambitious charge. If the Doomblade stayed put I would never have risked my Warriors going in there and would have had them fight the Abombs. So he showed me his jugular, I fell for it and got smashed from behind for it.

Part of my carelessness was due to the headache that is Random Movement……

WARNING… RANT AHEAD
      For years I thought it was Dreadmills and Abombs that I hated but it’s actually Random Movement that I despise. The ability of Random Movers to ‘charge’ anything around them, whether or not they can be seen or not is just too powerful. It makes chaff useless against them as they can just go anyother way, or when it’s on good units like the Abomb and Dreadmill they just take the chaff off easily. No one has that much chaff that they can chaff up 4 random movers all game as well. There’s also the fact that random movers don’t declare a charge so you cannot flee with your chaff, you just have to sit there as they come hurtling in. I was trying to constantly try and chaff up the Abombs with my Manticore and get it so that only one could get in but it’s impossible, no matter where I put him on that Turn 4 of mine they could still both charge him.

Combine random movement with the Dreadmill and its 3 SD6x2 lightning attacks that do D3 wounds and that attack the nearest model and you have the deadliest shooting attack in the game. Admittedly it could misfire or only be S2 (1/3) but let’s face it S8 and10 (also 1/3) are basically the same. When playing against them you have to assume the worst because it can and does happen. For example in my Turn 1 when I moved up the EDC and had the Lord behind him it was still possible for the Dreadmill to go 18” past the EDC and then the Manticore or the Crushers would have been closer and they would have taken the hit. So I either anticipate that that could happen and keep them even further out or I take the chance that him rolling 18 on 3D6 is 1/216 and take my chances. It’s the potential threat of random movers that is the problem; they just control the battlefield too much. Normally I face 2 Dreadmills, one on either flank and as you can’t get round them you have to try and kill them, which is no easy feat. It’s not so bad with Dragon Centaurs but when I use my KoE, it’s almost impossible. Knights will hurt it but rarely do 5 wounds and that’s with a decent sized lance of 12. It will then flee 3D6” and I won’t catch it, I’m then out of position and have to face the rest of the army and the Dreadmill again when it rallies.

My suggestion for Random Movement is either do away with it altogether (except for Mad Gits, they are the epitome of random movement) or make it so that they count as declaring a charge. They can still pivot on the spot and declare a charge against whatever they want that is within 18” but you can actually flee or shoot instead of sitting there like a moron whilst a giant chariot that shoots lightning comes ramming into you. Also make them all stubborn but they can’t pursue or overrun like the Steam Tank (which I think the ABT have nailed by the way) and if they have a break test and have to flee then they automatically die. Harsh I know. Random Movers are supposed to be sporadic not the fastest movers around so I don’t see how they keep getting away from my knights on the dice off.

Then we come to the Abombs themselves. My Lord should have controlled them more and kept them honest but I don’t think he can actually win against them when they are running in a pair. If he charges one, he’s unlikely to kill it in one turn and then it will be the VS players turn next and it doesn’t matter if my Lord is out of LoS of the second Abombs, he's coming for me. That is what makes that 2 Abombs together so deadly, you’re fighting both eventually, whether you like it or not. I should have kept my chaff over to the right to deal with the Abombs but then I’m left vulnerable to the whims of the VG. Then we get onto what they can actually do, 3D6 attacks each, why? I know GW came up with that amount back in 8th but it was at least a random chance of getting it, why have we honestly kept it? Give them a set number of attacks! I’ll be generous and say 7 attacks, that gives them the same number of attacks as the Hydra and Chimera, (they have multiple heads ffs!) the highest amount of attacks for a monster in the game. VS players love to point out that although 3D6 sounds bad it could be 3 attacks, which is a fair point except a Kraken only has 4 attacks, so your worst number of attacks is only 1 less than an actual genuine monster’s number of attacks.

If the VS players think the Abomb is garbage then can we do a swap for the Blood Beast? (still have yet to see anyone take one) I’ll happily take an Abomb over a Blood Beast any day of the week. I’ll swap the Dreadmill for the Mauler Chariot as well if they want.

I am surprised that not everyone is packing the Abombs still but I think it’s because VS are spoilt for choice when it comes to what toys to take. Once you take the mandatory core, characters and grenadiers (what do you mean they aren’t mandatory?), you still have lots of points to spend on Dreadmills, Weapon Teams, Jezzails, Thunder Hulks, Plague Disciples, Meat Grinders, Lightning Cannons…. They’re all awesome little gadgets.

I know balance is difficult as I think the Grenadiers show; BS 3, no one takes them; BS 4, everyone takes them. It’s just finding the right points cost for these things, nothing should be an auto include, when people have to start making decisions about what to take then balance is getting close.

Also can we talk about the Doom Blade, I know it’s been around for ever but do the VS still need it? The Doom Blade was created to kill Nagash, Nagash doesn’t exist in the 9th Age so there’s no reason for them to still have that weapon, it’s a hangover from the Old world and its time to move on. I’m not a fan of rules where you have to rely on your opponent to do it as with the toxic attacks on the wielder of Doom Blade, I knew it so I kept reminding my opponent (he wasn’t forgetting on purpose, he was just very hungover which made my defeat all the more embarrassing). How many VS players get away with forgetting that little caveat on the weapon? How many non VS players know about it? The VS army book has a plethora of rules like that. Gas globes that roll 1s to hit take a toxic attack, but they also have resistant so are -2 to wound for toxic attacks. Even trying to write it simply is difficult. It’s just unnecessarily rolling of more dice for them and chances are they might kill 1 grenadier per game! I forget about that rule all the time because it just doesn’t even matter.

I guess it’s the same as frenzy checks for me, I often forget about it but it’s a general special rule and my opponents often remind me and that’s fine. I propose a new system, if a player forgets to roll for something that they should then they automatically count as failing it. If I forget to do my Frenzy checks at the start of my movement phase then I count as declaring a charge and if the Doom Blade wielder forgets to take his toxic attack he automatically fails it. People would soon start remembering those kinds of rules.

I’m not saying that VS are broken, OP BS, I just think that they have some issues they need sorting out. VS aren’t winning every tournie under the sun so they can’t be OP (Although they do fairly well in the UK). I think where VS suffer is that they can’t win big like some armies can due to lack of manoeuvrability, they generally don't lose big either thanks to big blocks and killy toys but they can lose big if it all goes wrong for them.

What do other people think? Am i raging unnecessarily? Does everyone find VS a doddle to fight against and just smash them off the field? Am i just a terrible player? (the answer is yes.) Let me know what you think, even you dirty VS players can squeak in to defend yourselves.

RANT OVER

Onto the final game.
      Files
      • Deployment.JPG

(85.11 kB, downloaded 376 times, last: )
      • VS2.JPG

(79.7 kB, downloaded 368 times, last: )
      • VS3.JPG

(71.64 kB, downloaded 361 times, last: )
      • VS5.JPG

(76.35 kB, downloaded 369 times, last: )
      • VS6.JPG

(68.04 kB, downloaded 364 times, last: )
      • W1.JPG

(81.21 kB, downloaded 370 times, last: )
      • W2.JPG

(78.2 kB, downloaded 365 times, last: )
      • W3.JPG

(77.59 kB, downloaded 364 times, last: )
      • W4.JPG

(76.33 kB, downloaded 363 times, last: )
      • W5.JPG

(70.71 kB, downloaded 362 times, last: )
    • Onto Game 5 and this time I’ve Orcs & Goblins. Not one of my favourite armies to play against due to their numerous amounts of chaff and annoying toys but it’s always a fun game against the green gits! My opponents list:

• Iron Orc warlord, General, wagghh, Great weapon, shield - 380 points
      • Iron Orc chief, battle standard bearer, great weapon, shield - 240 points
      • Common Orc Shaman, path of shamanism, 4 learned spells, wizard master, dispel scroll, ring of Fire - 555 points
      • Cave goblin chief, cave gnasher, shield, Lance - 122 points
      • 2 x 30 cave goblins, nets, spears and shields, 2 mad gits, musician, standard bearer - 820 points
      • 23 Feral Orcs, musician, bow 305 points
      • 2 x 6 Gnasher Dashers - 348 points
      • 2 x Scrap Wagon - 180 points
      • 28 Iron Orcs, Full command, mikinoks totem 808 points
      • 2 x Git launcher, Orc Overseer - 400 points
      • Skewerer - 90 points

Nothing unusual in there. I’ve not seen the heroes on the Gnasher Dashers before and they worry me a bit due to the large amount of high S attacks they have. I’ve seen that mikinoks totem before, it nullifies all magic items against all models in base to base contact with the unit as well as models within the unit, hence why the characters have no magic items. The shaman started off in Feral Orcs and that would be the third Ring of Fire I’ve seen this weekend, if it wasn’t for the fact that the two lists that didn’t take them were dwarves and mono wrath I’m sure it would have been 5/5. It’s a good item and eeks out dispel dice.

The deployment was standard deployment, much needed after the previous 2 deployment types. Secondary Objective was hold the centre ground. As that was the objective I dropped the lot and decided to go second as there is no way I can hold the centre ground against that many units, especially the Iron Orcs. I hide my Lord and the EDC but when he deploys he can still see him with a git launcher and skewerer.

O&G Turn 1 – I wasted the dogs moving them so far forward, I think I’ve given up on them now, not sure what I was trying to achieve with them. The Gnasher Dashers charge them but I take 2 down with me. Scrap wagons just aim for their own units and bounce harmlessly off. In the magic phase the shaman gets off swarm of insects and does 2 wounds to the EDC! A git launcher shoots at the EDC and does 1 wound, not a great start.

Warriors Turn 1 – I throw the Horsemen forward to within 8” of both Goblins to get the mad gits out but make a mistake as he is able to still move one unit out of 8” meaning he doesn’t have to throw the mad gits out. I thought I moved the Crushers up carefully enough so that the Goblin Hero couldn’t get a charge against the flank but forgot about flying on the Gnasher Dasher so he can easily clip the corner.

O&G Turn 2 – The Scrap Wagon on the right goes into the Horsemen. One unit of Cave Goblins can reform and walk out of 8” of them but one unit has to release the mad gits. The other Scrap wagon goes for the DCs but falls short. The Gnasher Dashers also try to charge them but fail. The Cave Goblin Hero on the right charges the flank of the Crushers.

In shooting the mad gits come out aimed at the DCs but don’t reach them (it was a big ask). The Warmachines all aim at my lord but he doesn’t take a wound. The Git Launchers aren’t that scary for him as they aren’t multiple wounds at least. I’d rather face them than a cannon.

In combat the Scrap Wagon kills all the horsemen, overruns into my Warrior block. The Goblin Hero kills a Crusher and I do a wound back in return and make my break test.

Warriors Turn 2 – The Dragon Centaurs charge the Scrap Wagon because I might as well, it is going to spell doom for them though because the Iron Orcs will be able to see them after. The EDC hides behind a house, he’s moving like a ninja now, using cover and shadows to sneak up on his opponent! The Lord bombs it down the right and the Barbarians turn up.

The Warriors easily kill the Scrap Wagon and pivot to face the centre. The Crushers finish off the Goblin Hero but not before another Crusher dies. That little git just ruined them! The DCs kill the other Scrap Wagon and pivot to face the Iron Orcs.

O&G Turn 3 – The Iron Orcs and the Gnasher Dashers that killed the dogs charge the Dragon Centaurs. I have to hold both charges or else they’re going to get run down by the other. The Feral Orcs face the Lord and the Cave Goblins do a switcheroo so that one unit is facing the Lord and the other unit can throw the mad gits out. One of the mad gits from before goes through CG2 and kills a few. The hero on the right chaffs up the Barbarians.

In magic the shaman keeps trying to get Swarm of insects off on my EDC but he keeps saving it, as well he should! However he does get Break the Spirit on the Warriors so they can’t march or charge unless they want to take some DTs. In the shooting phase the Mad Gits come out and fail to go anywhere near my Lord, phew. A Git Launcher misfires, other one hits my lord but fails to wound him. The Skewerer misses. In Combat the Iron Orcs and Gnasher Dashers smash the DCs leaving me with one guy on 2 wounds. I take 2 Gnasher dashers with me though. The DCs break but aren’t caught by the Gnasher Dashers, The Iron Orcs pivot.

Warriors Turn 3 – The Manticore charges the Skewerer. The Barbarians charge the Goblin Hero. The Crusher fails his Frenzy check and has to run off into the Iron Orcs. The EDC comes out of hiding threatening the rear of the Feral Orcs and the Git Launcher. The DC rallies and the Warriors pivot to face the centre, they can’t march due to the DT spell cast last turn.

In combat the Crusher decides to attack the General as he only has a 4+ for protection, I get two wounds through before I’m murdered on the spot. The Manticore kills the Skewerer and overruns into the Git Launcher. The Barbarians do a wound to the hero but take some back in return. I win combat and the Hero breaks and gets away.

O&G Turn 4 – The Gnasher Dashers charge the DC. The last Goblin Hero blocks up the EDC. The Shaman sees the big Manticore smashing his way towards the Feral Orcs and thinks better of it, he jumps out into the Iron Orcs. The cave Goblins move to block up the Barbarians. The Mad Gits go crazy. One hits the Cave Goblins and bounces through the units and ends right in front of the Manticore when he overruns, it does kill some Goblins but they don’t care. One goes through the Barbarians and kills 3 of them. The other roll doubles and die.

Magic and shooting are uneventful. The Gnasher Dashers do nothing to the DC who ends up killing them in return. The Manticore kills the Git launcher and overruns through the Mad Git, taking a wound, and into the Feral Orcs.

Warriors Turn 4 – The EDC charges the Hero. The Barbarians charge the Cave Goblins. The Warriors stay put (I think he got break the spirit off on them again). The EDC easily kills the Hero but takes 2 wounds back. Those Gnasher Dashers are horrible, I4 is lethal! The Barbarians win combat against the Cave Goblins as the goblins ended up netting themselves so couldn’t hit me back effectively. I break them and run them down and hit the Hero. This causes the other goblin unit to break and run towards my warriors. The Manticore kills about 8 Orcs but doesn’t break them as they are steadfast.

O&G Turn 5 – The Gnasher Dashers charge the rear of the EDC. The Cave Goblins fail to rally and run through the Warriors, half the unit die to DTs, always nice to see! The Iron Orcs pivot to see the flank of the Manticore as well as my Warrior block. The Shaman increases the Feral Orcs T by 1 making them T5.

In combat the Barbarian Chief finishes off the Hero in a challenge. The Gnasher Dashers take the last wound off of the EDC, he had survived quite a lot of abuse after his initial turn. The Manticore lord has a stinker of a round and only kills 3 Orcs. Even though the Feral orcs are T5 I’m still hitting on

Warriors Turn 5 – I am able to just get the warrior block out of the Iron Orcs LoS (it was a lot closer than the picture looks). However I am lazy and make another mistake here, i only use the Movement to do the pivot with the right hand side of the unit, I should have moved the other end of the unit so that I’m still facing the flank of the Iron Orcs. I move the DC round to make the Goblins take some more DTs.

The Manticore Lord needs to kill 5 Orcs to break steadfast, not a difficult feat when you are hitting on 2s wounding on 2s as well as the Manticore to attack but he can’t do it and only kills 4 leaving them with exactly 5 guys to be steadfast, bollocks!

O&G Turn 6 – The General calls in the Waaaaagh! The Iron Orcs come charging into the Manticore Lord. The Goblins rally and my opponent tries to do shenanigans where they reform to contest the objective by going wide. Fortunately they can’t do it due to the warriors blocking them off. So they just stay put. The Git Launcher lands a hit on the DC and takes off his last 2 wounds and that is a massive kill for him!

In comabt my Lord issues his challenge which he refuses so I send the BSB to the back so I can smack the General and get some points at least. I easily kill him but the Iron Orcs kill the Manticore as even though I’m back on full wounds I have lost the use of my Ward Save thanks to that Banner of there’s. Then to rub salt into the wound he does a combat reform to go super wide and contest the objective. I’m still unsure how he managed it as the combat took place right on the edge of the board so his centre is about 6” from the board edge but I check, check and double check and he can do it. (even now I’m unsure) Gamey as **** if you ask me but perfectly legal. Now I’m annoyed that I didn’t move the warriors all the way round to face the flank of the unit. I’m also annoyed that the DC is dead as he could have ran in and got the objective for me.

Warriors Turn 6 – Nothing I can do now so that’s that. Game ends and it’s a 12 – 8 loss.

Again I had a small win up until turn 6 and then lost it. Because I got lazy and didn’t think about the combat reform, I thought you lost scoring if you did a combat reform but it’s only lost in the turn that you did it. I’m not happy about the final result but there’s nothing I can do, it is what it is. I should have turned the Warriors around fully, may not have been able to see the Iron Orcs but I should have at least thought about possibilities like that. My opponent is an ETC player so a small loss is no great shame. I thought I lost that game after turn 2 to be honest. When I didn’t get all the mad gits out with the horsemen and the Crushers taking a beating to a lowly goblin hero. The Manticore Lord did well though as did the Barbarians. Annoyed about the DC dying in the last turn but the Gobbo shooting had been atrocious up until then so I rode my luck.

Tournie Afterthoughts

In the end I finished the Tournament on 44 points, not great but it could have been worse. It was a great tournament and every player was a pleasure to play against and each list brought a new challenge for me to face. It’s always nice to face 5 different races in a tournament. I would have liked a nice squishy elf list to fight but what can you do?

I’ve covered my opinions on the unit in the other tournie I wrote up and not much has changed. I’m not enamoured with the Barbarians, too fragile. Dogs are not mobile enough. Horsemen are almost too giant mutant rats. I prefer the Warriors with Paired Weapons over Halberds, I roll so badly I need all the dice I can muster so more attacks helps.

The EDC is fast becoming a let down too, he’s so expensive and just doesn’t churn out enough attacks, it’s far too easy for him to fluff. Admittedly I did use him as chaff for most of the tournie but for example against the VS he should be mowing down Vermin Guard for fun, he should certainly be able to kill a puny Vermin Tyrant, and laughing at their feeble S4 attacks back. I think I need to use him a bit better, T6 is great against most armies.

I really felt the lack of magic on my side this tournie, everyone was getting little spells off here and there and just chipping me down. I think people have gotten over the shock in the change of magic and are now realising that it is actually still quite good, not ‘6 dice dwellers’ good but no one wants to see a return to that!

My next Tournie is not unitl April now so it’s time for a change in the list and get something new painted up. I’m thinking some Fallen and a Mauler Chariot. All MoW up obviously!

Thanks for reading. I might write up some practice games so keep your eyes peeled. Any comments always welcome. Thanks.
      Files
      • Deployment.JPG

(95.76 kB, downloaded 357 times, last: )
      • O&G2.JPG

(91.36 kB, downloaded 357 times, last: )
      • O&G3.JPG

(94.51 kB, downloaded 360 times, last: )
      • O&G4.JPG

(86.32 kB, downloaded 347 times, last: )
      • O&G5.JPG

(80.35 kB, downloaded 355 times, last: )
      • O&G6.JPG

(75.03 kB, downloaded 353 times, last: )
      • W1.JPG

(92.82 kB, downloaded 356 times, last: )
      • W3.JPG

(85.24 kB, downloaded 353 times, last: )
      • W4.JPG

(81.46 kB, downloaded 356 times, last: )
      • W6.JPG

(74.57 kB, downloaded 351 times, last: )
    • jonfen wrote:

Spazbite83 wrote:

Very good and detailed reports. keep up the good Job!
      I agree, as a new player to both t9a and wdg I really appreciate the level of detail!
      Thanks a lot @Spazbite83 and @jonfen. Glad to know all the time i put into writing them is worthwhile.

For new players to the ninth age my advice would be to ignore everything i do (or at least learn from my mistakes) and take particular note of what my opponents do, they actually know what they are doing. One day be able to give out some pro tips but it isn't this day.

I like to take semi serious lists, like mono wrath with a Manticore. Although i love the Manticore it is far from the optimal choice for a Lord. I'll be bringing out my Wrath DP one day, i hear he's terrible!
    • Great read. Very interesting to see the tourney from another persons perspective. Best of luck in April, do the warriors proud. I won't be around to contest best in race sadly as real life gets in the way!
      Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
    • @Maccamonger Glad you enjoyed the reports. Good to know people are reading them. I am going to Sheffield Slaughter, gonna try not getting hammered on Saturday, see if that helps.

@WastelandWarrior I'll try and do the Warriors proud but think it's unlikely as long as i'm running mono wrath. Did you face Terry F Dwarves in the last game? The one i had in game 1. Did you win against it? If so, how did you get past the Killy King?
    • I did ply Terry's dwarfs and got a 13-7 win. I basically had him totally encircled and ran my dragon ogres round the back and he popped the Killy King out of the unit in front of them, he knew the King would beat them but I was confident they would hurt him back before running off, which they did, left him on one wound and my lord fancied those chances and finished him off before he swung a couple of turns later. The tank King survived sadly, I was in combat with it and the iron breakers since turn two and there was still one wound on the King and one breaker left at the end of the game!! That list is tough to grind out but with so few units it is very easy to out manuever.

I don't think mono wrath is a total hindrance but I really like being being able to mix it up, my disc Lord was mvp in pretty much every game I played and pestilence on the mauler chariot is soooo tasty, it just tanks for days and keeps grinding down the foe!
      Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
    • AxelVicious wrote:

So onto Game 3. Now I was drawn against Empire of Sonnstahl and one of the two identical lists that were taken. A list I didn’t particularly relish fighting mostly because it doesn’t do a whole lot of fighting but an awful lot of shooting (Since when did Empire become the new Wood Elves?!). I was also rather drunk by this point and an MSU shooty list was the last thing I wanted to face but I imagine my opponent was delighted to be fighting a Warriors list with no magic and little shooting!

• Wizard, General, Master, 4 Spells, Essence of a Free Mind (Pyromancy/Thaumaturgy) [430pts]
      • Marshal, BSB, Great Tactician, Ring of Fire, Shield [276pts]
      • 10 Electoral Cavalry, Lance and Shield [400pts]
      • 5 Electoral Cavalry, GW and Shield [190pts]
      • State Militia x 10 Pistols, Skirmish 150
      • Cannon [260pts]
      • Steam Tank [440pts]

I had fought the Reiters before but not with the repeater handguns and I wasn’t too sure what they did. I’ve heard there weren’t very good but there must be something in it if two people took them. The wizard took Pyromancy and with the BSB and his ring of fire I was going to be taking a beating in the magic phase! My basic plan was to try and fence in the Reiters and hopefully get to kill them early on. If I fail to do that then I have to ignore them, otherwise I will spend all game running around pointlessly trying to kill them whilst they dance around and shoot me to death. In a way though I’m disappointed that there is no big enemy unit to aim all my units at. I like to have a target to sink my teeth into, all this MSU stuff just hurts my Wrath addled brain!

The Deployment was Encircle and the scenario was Secure Target (the objectives are the bullseye symbols on the deployment map). There wasn’t a whole lot of scenery on the table and a big killing zone in the middle was not great for me. My opponent picked sides and choose to have the big flanks, as good choice to stop me getting it. I dropped the dogs first waiting to see where he would put his stuff down, then my opponent took me by surprise and dropped his whole army! I really should have seen this coming after looking at his list, those Reiters need first turn so they can shoot without moving and the cannons can shoot down something. I then deployed as close to the line as I could, I had to rush on in there. I hid my Lord behind the hill from the cannons and on we went. I should say his wizard and BSB are in the State Militia 2 on the map, but they jump about a bit throughout.

EoS Turn 1 – The 2 Griffons on the left move up a bit and the third unit moves up so the wizard can get in range with some spells. In the magic phase the wizard miscasts and blows up 4 of his own guys, can’t remember the spell but it only killed one of my Warriors, the BSB kills a Horsemen. Onto the shooting phase, 2 units of Reiters shoot the Crushers and kill 2 models, the third unit of Reiters take 3 wounds off a Dragon Centaur. The Steam Tank misfires and takes a wound and the Cannon shoots at the EDC but misses. Not as disastrous a turn as it could have been but I’m definitely weaker for it.

Warriors Turn 1 – I basically run everything forward as fast as I can, which was a mistake as you will see.

EoS Turn 2 – In my impatience to stop getting shot at and to try and kill some sun worshippers I have left massive gaps in my advance meaning that all three units of Reiters can squeeze through and out of my charge arcs. I should have just held a unit back, maybe just left my lord behind the hill waiting for something to try and get round the back. 2 units of Griffons charge my Warriors, which I’m not too worried about. The other Griffons charge the dogs.

In the magic phase the wizard miscasts agin and kills 5 in the unit, leaving them with just one lone guy. The spell tries to finish off the Crusher but can’t get through his armour.

In shooting the Reiters shoot my lord but do no wounds but my Lucky Shield has gone. The cannon takes aim and hits him, wounds him, I fail my ward but luckily the cannon only does 1 out of 3 wounds +2 for being cannon and for clipped wings, leaving my Lord on one wound. Bringing him out was always a bit risky but still think he should be ok most of the time. One unit of Reiters shoot at the DC and pop off the last wound on one guy leaving me with 2 DCs left. The last unit of Reiters shoots at the EDC and does nothing.

In combat the the Sun Griffons 2 kill the Warhounds and turn to face the Warriors. In the Warrior combat the Griffons kill 6 Warriors but I manage to kill one Griffon on the Sun Griffon 3 unit and do 5 wounds on the one on Sun Griffon 1 unit. I win combat and both units break. I pursue Sun Griffon 1 hoping to catch them and then charge the cannon or the other Sun Griffon unit also to get away from all those Reiters and claim the objective on this side of the board. They get away anyway. Looking back on it now I might have been better chasing Sun Griffon 3 and getting in the middle of the board. I may have been able to get the Wizard then.

Warriors Turn 2 – The Warrior block charges off Sun Griffon 1 and are now left looking at board edge. The Crushers now have Sun Griffon 3 in front of them after they fled from the Warrior combat. The Crusher declares that charge, The Sun Griffon 3 flee through the State Militia in the forest who fail their panic and flee off the board. The Crushers fail to catch the Sun Griffons and the Sun Griffons are still on the board. The Manticore and the Horsemen both charge the cannon, the Horsemen make it but the Manticore fails. The EDC charges the flank of the knights but fails to make it and that was a short charge too! The DCs try to charge the State Militia 3 but fall short too. This could have been a massive swing to me if all my charges had come off but that’s the way it goes. The Barbarians turn up and throw their weapons at the small cav bus and do a wound.

In combat the Barbarians kill the cannon and overrun.

Eos Turn 3 – The large Cav bus charges the flank of the DCs and everything else turns as you can see. The EDC is going to have a lot of shots coming his way. One unit of Reiters goes around the back of my Lord hoping to ping off his final wound. The Sun Griffons that fled now rally on the board edge.

In the Magic Phase the wizard doesn’t miscast for once but does succeed in killing off the Crusher. In the Shooting Phase and the Reiters pop off the last wound on my Lord, I think that was inevitable, he was never going to last long against this much shooting! The EDC takes no wounds against 2 units of Reiters and one unit of State Militia.

Warriors Turn 3 – The EDC charges the Knight block and my opponent declares a flee with them, luckily my opponent missed my Horsemen still in the wood who then charge the Knights off the board! The Warriors face the Sun Griffon and try to move as far away from the Stank as possible. The Barbarians turn to face the Militia, they throw some weapons at them but only kill 1 guy.

EoS Turn 4 – The Sun Griffon 3 unit charges the Horsemen. The Sun Griffon 2 unit doesn’t charge my Warrior block but instead he moves the Steam Tank up and moves one unit of Reiters up to thin out their numbers a bit. The Reiters 2 move up a bit but Reiters 1 stay put to increase their aim. The wizard and BSB jump out of their small unit and into the other full unit who move away from the Barbarians.

IN the shooting phase the EDC takes 3 wounds this round thanks to the better accuracy. The warriors lose a couple of guys. In combat the horsemen lose 3 guys but do 2 wounds in return, somehow. They break from combat and the Griffons give chase, they catch the Horsemen but lose one more wound to DTs leaving them with one guy.

Warriors 4 – The Warriors charge the Sun Griffon hoping to repeat their earlier heroics. Rather than risking another failed charge with the Barbarians I move them up to throw their weapons at the Reiters, I manage to kill a couple! I move the EDC out of the way so if they want to shoot him they’re going to have to move.

In combat the Warriors fluff it this time and only do a wound, the Griffons do 3 wounds back. I still win but the Griffons stick.

Eos Turn 5 – The Steam Tank comes rolling into the rear of the Warriors. One unit of Reiters moves around to the rear of the EDC. The rest of the Empire army makes a gun line in the middle of the board.

The Barbarians lose a lot of guys to shooting, I’m down to about 10 models left at this point. The EDC cares nothing for those puny boomsticks and takes no wounds. In combat the Warriors are killed to a man by the Steam Tank and the griffons kill the Wrath Priest, no one can touch my BSB though. He does break from combat but manages to get away as the Steam Tank cannot pursue, a fair decision for random movers I think (I’ll cover this in Game 4).

Warriors Turn 5 – The EDC declares a charge against the Reiters, hopiong to terror bomb them off, their only Ld 7! But they make their Ld test and I fail the charge. The BSB rallies for what it’s worth. The Barbarians move up to shoot at the Reiters some more, but do nothing.

EoS Turn 6 – The Steam tank comes barrelling into the BSB. The Wizard and BSB jump out of their unit and join the lone guy from before. The State Militia throw themselves in front of the Barbarians and the other State Militia do the same to the EDC. The Sun Griffons grab the objective. In shooting the Barbarians take even more wounds, leaving me with 3 guys and the Chief. In combat the Steam Tank does a wound, the BSB does nothing in return and sticks.

Warrior Turn 6 – The Barbarians charge the State Militia, win combat but don’t catch them. The EDC charges the State Militia who fail their terror test and run, the EDC redirects into the small Cav bus who either stick and get killed in combat or run and get run down. This causes the Reiters to panic off. The BSB stays alive at the end as well. So I managed to scrape some points from that last turn but nowhere near enough. I lost the game 17 -3.

This was always going to be a tough match up for me, there’s so much shooting and at S4 AP1 it goes through my guys so easily. My opponent getting first turn was huge and I got complacent because I’m just used to going first anyway and never saw him going first at all, my mistake and one I won’t make again.

I played badly in my deployment and in my first turn, if I didn’t leave the Reiters anywhere to run in his Turn 2 I might have actually caught them. The EDC was the star of the show for me as his T6 helped him loads in this, I should have used him better because of it. I just wish his Terror was more effective!

I like the Empire list in its effectiveness at just shooting off the world and not being a standard gun line as the list is so quick, I can’t catch it! My only tip for fighting against it is to move out of the Reiters LoS as making the Reiters move makes them less effective so just running around a bit helps but that’s not what my list is designed to do so it’s no use to me. If I had some magic I would have found it a bit easier I think, just needed some magic missiles to get rid of the Reiters.

So I ended Day 1 on 30 points out of 60, so actually pretty happy with that, it’s what I was expecting.
      Great write up. I enjoyed our game a lot!
      Team Wales ETC 2017 - Beast Herds
      Team Scotland ETC 2018 (Captain) - Beast Herds
      Team England ETC 2019 - Empire
    • AxelVicious wrote:

me too @Fthundercock, just wish i wasn't so pissed at the time so i could remember it better and maybe even play a little better. Think i still would have got smashed though.
      Honestly your only error was leaky lines letting the Reiters through. Apart from that you played a very tight game.
      Team Wales ETC 2017 - Beast Herds
      Team Scotland ETC 2018 (Captain) - Beast Herds
      Team England ETC 2019 - Empire
    • Really good reads! Also, the good old battle rep-style pictures help a lot, I like them even better than fotos as they provide a really good overview of the whole table (but few pictures of the armies would be nice).

@Fthundercock Did you really have to quote the whole battle rep for one line of comment? Gave me bad issues while reading it on my mobile phone.
    • @teclis2000 Glad you like them, i like the old school top down graphical view but i think your right about getting some pics in there too. I take lots of pictures during the games but most of them are just a blurry mess and no one wants to see them. I'll definitely try and get some better pictures for the next tournie though.