(Homebrew) 40K fanedition

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• (Homebrew) 40K fanedition

I like to play 8th Edition 40K, but I still miss a good complex 40K as a 2nd Wargame. The amount of random tables, bloat rules and powercreep killed off 7th Edition and it has hit the term complexity hard.My plan is to uphold the traditional game design of "Oldhammer" and the formula of combined complexity and diversity that made previous Editions of both 40K and Fantasy great. This idea of an extensive 40K is stuck in my head for months and now it seems good to bring it to the community.

I want to incorporate things like:
      • Interesting and extensive rules for both models and scenarios. It should matter why you want to deploy one unit in a certain environment, how they will react to certain events and what they can do. Great elemental rules like old style Flamming Attacks and not the random nonsense like Soul Blaze.
      • Speaking of random; An end to warlord traits, random generated psychic powers, rolling for if you can Deep Strike and other random tables that only ruin the strategic and narrative play on the long term. Customization must come back to encourage you to create your own hero and army. A list of relics, arcane items and weapons for your guys.
      • Using Shooting, combat and Save modifiers. Also the comeback of save modifier through Strength, which begins at S5 since the amount of S4 is huge.
      • Creating rules for both 40K armies and 30K. Forge Worlds offers tons of useful units and items that could work great. So expect Beakie Marines with Volkites.

I'm ready to start the project, but I want to be sure there are also people here who want to help me with feedback, ideas and other stuff to give the project more support. It will take much effort and I hope it will be worth it.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Lionhammer ().

• I've actually been doing something similar every now and then for months as well, just didn't notice this thread until now. I barely play 40K and when I do it is only with my friends' rulebooks and armies. I used to play 2nd ed. as well and miss those battles, most of all the fun things that vehicles could do when you blew off a track or something.

I think the problem you're going to run into here is that all the people willing to volunteer time and effort to something like this already are..for 9th Age, which we're much more interested in than redoing 40K.

You'd have to find a pretty substantial number of people who enjoy 40K as their main hobby but are disgruntled enough, talented enough and have the time to redesign it.
      In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.
      -Friedrich Nietszche
    • 9thAndBaklavey wrote:

I've actually been doing something similar every now and then for months as well, just didn't notice this thread until now. I barely play 40K and when I do it is only with my friends' rulebooks and armies. I used to play 2nd ed. as well and miss those battles, most of all the fun things that vehicles could do when you blew off a track or something.
      I get the feeling that lot of 40K players have fond memories of 2nd Edition. I've never played the Edition, but I do play Shadow War and I still have fun with the game.

9thAndBaklavey wrote:

I think the problem you're going to run into here is that all the people willing to volunteer time and effort to something like this already are..for 9th Age, which we're much more interested in than redoing 40K.
      You'd have to find a pretty substantial number of people who enjoy 40K as their main hobby but are disgruntled enough, talented enough and have the time to redesign it.
      you're right. Maybe it was better to post this thread on Dakkadakka, but I think there are still people here interested in 40K. Like in the 8th Edition thread.
      It will be hard indeed to find people who have time enough, but I'm sure there are enough people with the talent to redesign a game.
      Being disgruntled? I get the feeling most of the players are rather happy since 7th Edition was, especially in the end, plagued with power creep, bloat.. and both complexity and streamline of the wrong kind. Even I got discouraged to play 7th Edition. What I really want to see back is the more logical and better complexity like Fantasy and the old 40K.
    • Java25 wrote:

It's a good project,i hope will be a similar ninth age game about Warhammer 40 in a near future, if i could help you in my free time, count with me.
      Thanks :D . I'm gonna take some things from T9A and adapt them in the homebrew. I'm also happy to receive feedback and advice that could help with the project.

Right now I'm thinking about using for the to hit charts either the D10 and D6. the D10 is really good for small armies, but it could be a problem when you have to roll more than 20 to hit rolls. In that case it could be useful to add the Multiple Wounds rule, since the to wound chart will use the D6.

For vehicles and giant robots I'm thinking to give them a D12 save with either a D12 or 2D6.

For dangerous terrain I want to to replace the "rolling 1 is automatic wound" test with an Initiative test whereby failed rolls means that the character or unit suffers a to wound based on the scenery's profile. Also the comeback of the Strider rules.

Poisoned will be split in 2 categories; normal poison for infantry, beasts and monstrous creatures and corrosion for robots and vehicles.

Instead of fear and terror I will change that into a leadership reducing fear. Like units/characters getting charged or affected by models with the Fear (-1) rule must do a Leadership test with a -1 modifier. models fighting each other with the same level fear will cancel each other's rules while one with a better fear still affects the one with a lower fear.
      A monster with a Fear (-3) would force the one with a Fear (-1) to do a Ld test with a -2 modifier. There's always a bigger fish ;) .

Instead of being a random chart, the Haywire rule will be a to wound attack that could let a vehicle or robot malfunction or get hit harder. Units with mechanic parts like Iron Hands and Mechanicum could be affected or malfunction too, same for normal infantry in humid areas like swamps or rivers.

Unit upgrades like chapter tactics should be a buy-able option, since some of them are stronger than the others and players using other chapters without their own tactics won't feel forced to take one if they don't want to.
      Inspiration from VC's Vampiric bloodlines and HE's Honours.

And the comeback of combined profiles.

Sounds good?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lionhammer ().

• I'd be interested in playing and giving some feedback. But my more complex feedback time I give to T9A.

With The success of the 40k compendiums being balanced, be prepared for a slow grow. Because GW releases new codex's to keep it fresh, albeit with power creep, BUT people will play those codex until they get bored. ...power creep just means they get bored faster because they can unlock the codex faster.

and ya, dakka dakka is a good place to start.
      Also use the various facebook groups to find people.
    • Peacemaker wrote:

I'd be interested in playing and giving some feedback. But my more complex feedback time I give to T9A.

and ya, dakka dakka is a good place to start.
      Also use the various facebook groups to find people.
      Thanks. I already have an account om DakkDakka and was even busy with writing a Chaos Marine homebrew, but was quickly put off by how confined the Edition ruleset was.

Peacemaker wrote:

With The success of the 40k compendiums being balanced, be prepared for a slow grow. Because GW releases new codex's to keep it fresh, albeit with power creep, BUT people will play those codex until they get bored. ...power creep just means they get bored faster because they can unlock the codex faster.
      And powercreep codexes gets outdated pretty quickly. That's why I want to go back to the design philosophy of Andy Chambers, who prioritized creativity, customizing and scenario play over breaking balance and forcing a posterboy marketing.