Getting Hate out of the System: Food for Thought for Those Embittered at Games Workshop

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Getting Hate out of the System: Food for Thought for Those Embittered at Games Workshop

Since I've seen a lot of antipathy toward GW on here (understandable given human nature, but nothing I empathize with in the slightest), I thought that this recent point of discussion over on Chaos Dwarfs Online could be worth sharing, just in case it brightened someone's day up.

Please move thread if placed in the wrong section! I know that this is quite relevant to many T9A players for recent historical reasons, so I placed it in General Discussion to start with.

So, if anyone here is embittered at GW, I'd advise them to make their peace if possible, leave the hate and fully enjoy T9A for the good fun it brings us in the classic fantasy genre we all like. :)

KNC wrote:

Willmark wrote:

I'm still perplexed why people are concerned about what GW is doing now? They have told an entire segment of their customers to take a hike.previous versions of WFB are never coming back.

I listened, vote with my wallet and my previous versions of the game continue to function just fine.

For the record, since this was brought up, here's my own reasons for caring about GW's doings even though their move away from classic fantasy has made me no longer follow them closely:

The Warhammer world is a marvellous smörgåsbord fantasy setting, and a splendid IP. I only care about the good bits, and fundamentally ignore the warts like mechanical Emire horses, ending the setting and pricing levels. Life is not long enough to get upset about the mistakes and bad moves of others all the time, but certainly long enough to savour the good stuff.

GW still design great miniatures, and in plastic at all that! How many other producers out there can claim the same? They made the fantastic Warhammer world which won me over as soon as I read my first White Dwarf, and they can resurrect it at will, if they wish to. They no longer produce any fantasy stuff that I'm interested in (good for magitech fans, though!) but they can start to do so again.

I never took any of GW's idiocies personally. Great stuff as they produce, they're still just a company. One I'm pretty loyal to, but I would never view it as a "former lover" as some disgruntled T9A member put it with a tone of hateful bitterness. I care about the positives, don't care about the negatives. Only want for more good stuff to come in the future, just like they brought us classic fantasy fans in the past.

Also, new CEO, hope for improvement. Hope is the last thing that leaves a living being.
    • Yeah I'm going to throw my support behind the total reasonableness of Willmark's position. I don't have any ill will towards GW. I was more dissapointed with them when they put out a disaster of an army book than when they threw their hat in on the setting/rules, but the occasional "GW makes XYZ, when is 9th making rules for it?" stuff is perplexing, though thankfully it seems to be dying off.
    • The more I see the stuff that other companies produce (that looks like GW miniatures from 1980s/early 1990s) the more I appreciate how good their models are. Not only are they fine and detailed sculptures of what they chose to represent, they chose to represent very evocative things.

If you chose to buy what they output in plastic and ignore what they output on paper you are still set to enjoy their products.
    • There is hope. I can't get in to AoS, but they just threw out the old 40K and the new version is better. I regret rage-selling my two huge 40K armies now.

Some of the new AoS models are astounding. Expensive as hell, of course, but the craftsmanship is impressive. And hey, if it wasn't for AoS we'd all be playing Warhammer 9th edition and it would probably suck. Instead we get T9A!

O&G Community Support

"I see you are a man who likes to talk. That is good, for I am a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." - Caspar Gutman
    • I'm bittered towards GW. Really bittered. To a point where almost I find everything they make ugly. Like when you cut relationship with your former amorous partner... Now I look back and think "how can they cheat me with this?" "How was I able to tolerate that?".

There was a saying, or sort off, that stands as " GW is the only company where the hobbists look like professionals and the professionals look like hobbists". 9th Age shows this.

I might sound bitter and biased... But I feel treason in what they did in The End of Times (were my belobed Chaos Dwarves got 0 action, on top of dozens of stupid details), and I'm really disapointed with 8th 40K.

GW might have done good things. Their OLD background was really nice, even if it was sort of Frankenstein monster, but now I got nothing of that, with AOS in the "fantasy" side and the ugly primaris in the far future.
    • For me, I'm not mad at them. Not really. They are a model company that puts out some good models (and many models that I don't particularly care about).

To be honest, the only thing about GW that actually makes me mad at all is when we get people who treat the company like it is the only one out there that can do anything. While it hasn't happened in a while, we used to get a lot of people who wanted us to give our rules to GW so that they could use them as an official 9th Edition (completely ignoring the fact that GW would then take a completely free product and charge $50 per book again).

It bugged me every time that happened because it reminded me a lot of abused significant others. "Oh baby, I know you didn't mean to hurt me! It was all my fault for not liking what you gave me. I think AoS really is a good game, I swear!"

When GW is treated as just another model company that I can use should I so desire, they are great. When they are treated as the corporate incarnation of multiple deities at once, it is wearisome.
    • Manxol wrote:

I might sound bitter and biased... But I feel treason in what they did in The End of Times (were my beloved Chaos Dwarves got 0 action, on top of dozens of stupid details)
      To be fair (and this is outside the point of bitterness so if this leads off-topic mods are welcome to delete this reply or break it out into another discussion), most Chaos Dwarf collectors didn't expect to get much more since we've never been central to the Warhammer IP. And perhaps GW had in mind that it need only toss a few bones to the CD collectors, and they'll run away and get creative with the scraps they can get their hands on, just like we've always done.

Thing is, aside from some curious tidbit mentions, the Chaos Dwarfs brought down the Great Bastion of Grand Cathay, opening up that soft, rich and enormous southerly human realm to the hardened hordes from the north. That's a monumental achievement, their finest hour where their expertise of warmachinery proved utterly lethal and decisive for the fate of many, many millions of souls. Whilst Chaos Dwarf collectors themselves might not much like being brought down by marauding hordes and slave rebellion, it's a poetically just end to a baleful folk of torturers, slavers and sacrificers. We had it coming, so to speak.

And of course, over on CDO we made the most of it all, especially in a bumper Scribe's Contest (launch and entries; do read them if you've got time to spare) and also in a miniature and terrain competition.

Funny thing is, that the whole Warhammer Fantasy community has as of late found itself in pretty much the same spot, out in the cold, as the Chaos Dwarf community has stood in for most of its time. We got creative and did well, and looking on T9A there are quite good hopes here as well, even though recruiting fresh young blood remain a crucial challenge.
    • i've made my peace with it all.
      how? I listened to GW a while back when they stated over and over....and over....AND OVER again they they were a model company, not a game company.

when did I do this? I was still playing 40k but had stopped buying their codex's due to them just being rule-reprints of previous editions with no new fluff and tons of writing errors.
      The exact time was 5th Edition Tyranids - their rules for equipment were not even coherent!

what does this mean?
      well I still bought their books from time to time. But I bought them for the collecting aspect. 8th edition was a very nice book. Nicely written, lots of fluff, pictures, scenarios, etc...
      the 8th edition army books were decent for collecting. Enjoyable read.

what about the rules vs model company? Power creep tactics just to sell models?
      I PLAYED the power creep, but I didn't BUY the power creep.
      i bought models for the hobby aspect. Because they looked cool. Because I wanted to cut them up, put them in cool poses, and paint them.
      Otherwise how can you justify the cost? We all known people who buy a second hand bare plastic army for $200 bucks. They play for a year or two, then sell that army for $200 bucks. ...or $150 if they are moving and in a rush. Smart.

Anyway, my point is that people feel hatred towards GW because they wanted GW to be something they are not.

So, if you treat them like a game company and keep expecting(or hoping) for balanced rules: You're gonna have a bad time.

If you treat them as a model company, you won't be disappointed. You''ll get quality models backed by a refund guarantee. You won't get dooped into buying multiple redundant models. You'll buy what looks cool and be happy.
    • The only thing that bothers me about GW is that when some dumb jerkwad said "let's blow up Warhammer Fantasy and make it a skirmish game with a totally new setting the year before a major video game would give it bucketloads of free publicity", everyone there said "YAAAAS, OMG, We're gonna be rich!!"

The stupid was STRONG with that decision. I really DO with that they'd retcon End Times, and have AoS as an alternate reality and Fantasy back online. If 40k is any indication, they'd probably make it fairly awesome. :)
      My army has rocks, papers, and scissors. The reason you lost this war is that you thought we were playing checkers at every battle. - Anon. Highborn Elf Prince.
      Highborn Master of the Infantry and aspiring Equitaininan Champion of the Lady.

Playtester

DL Army Community Support

• Karak Norn Clansman wrote:

So, if anyone here is embittered at GW, I'd advise them to make their peace if possible, leave the hate and fully enjoy T9A for the good fun it brings us in the classic fantasy genre we all like. :)

No. Unless they will say sorry instead making cheap jokes 'we are new GW today'. And unless they will change their IP policy which makes them dangerous to T9A.
      StormRider Games
      StormRider Facebook
      _____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
      Or my WoT EU clan:
      The Ninth Army
    • Aenarion43 wrote:

The only thing that bothers me about GW is that when some dumb jerkwad said "let's blow up Warhammer Fantasy and make it a skirmish game with a totally new setting the year before a major video game would give it bucketloads of free publicity", everyone there said "YAAAAS, OMG, We're gonna be rich!!"

The stupid was STRONG with that decision. I really DO with that they'd retcon End Times, and have AoS as an alternate reality and Fantasy back online. If 40k is any indication, they'd probably make it fairly awesome. :)
      +1 TWW is the reason I became interested in playing tabletop. Good thing there were T9A players in my area or else I wouldn't get into the hobby.
      Three things make the Empire great: Faith, Steel and Gunpowder.

ETC 2018 - Team Slovenia EoS
      ETC 2019 - Team Slovenia SA
    • Vulgarsty wrote:

I detested kirby world and refused to enrich him. Rowntree has made some right moves and has got some of my miney back.
      is kirby world another manufacturer we should beware off? Or just a nickname for AoS?
      ....with all the crazy names out there it is legit getting hard to keep track.

---------
      part of me does feel bad for still buying from GW.
      A big reason I still do is because of their box deals. Other manufacterurs seem to be just as expensive or more than GW's deals(start collecting box).

I do buy from Avatars of War. Cause their prices are great. ...takes 6months to get my product but I know that when I buy.

and of course Reaper bones is the best.
    • @JimMorr : Are that the results of the shift to AoS, though? I've not followed it closely, but remember someone who does who pointed out that the revenue from Total Warhammer's release strongly boosted GW's financial performance for that period, which seemed to have been flagging. There are people who play Age of Sigmar and people who collect the new miniatures, for sure, but the impression I've got overall is that generic classic fantasy is more popular than the new magitech niche they're starting to carve out. Of course, the classic fantasy market might well be quite saturated by years and years of their own Warhammer miniatures in circulation, so perhaps there was some financial sense in starting from a blank slate?

Whatever the case, I still predict a return of the Old World in some form or another in the future. Too lucrative IP, not least with Total Warhammer keeping it boosted.

(Granted, I might be off-topic and in that case break this out into another thread.)
    • If you mean all those re-packed and re-based old sets it us true: T9A helped GW getting rid of the stocks of old miniatures. But they are out of stock because GW intends them dead. The whole AoS has been designed to replace GW range... Just look at steam dwarfs. They are all new designs and are in stock because they are produced and GW sees them as their future. So far we have been useful to GW. But at some point people who might been buying Stormcasts will be spending their money on secondhand GW models... And T9A will be classified as competition at this point. And competition is there to be eliminated.
      StormRider Games
      StormRider Facebook
      _____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
      Or my WoT EU clan:
      The Ninth Army