Pinned The Ninth Age Second Edition - The Path Forward Discussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• jimbo81 wrote:

tiny wrote:

jimbo81 wrote:

All I wanted was 8th ed with the woodies beaten back from stupid and the beasts boosted. Was that too much to ask?
      The short answer is: yes!The longer answer can be found here:
      the-ninth-age.com/news/index.p…-change-from-version-1-1/
      And here:
      the-ninth-age.com/news/index.p…gal-explanations-for-t9a/
      good grief! I'm not in a position to quit my job and take up full time study. Forget I asked.
      You did have enough time to complain ;)
      Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds- elf hero on foot 2016
    • managed to read the link. Apologies. Still bitter about the death of WHFB and really want 9th age to be business as usual and for my bitterness I apologise. That legal thing is a simple fix - just make a binding agreement with any manufacturer that wants to advertise on 9th age site and affiliated facebook sites that they build in to their crowd-funding an extra 5% that goes in to funding the 9th age project. You guys have an AGM with a treasurer and a financial report and start 1. getting paid to contribute (because you deserve it) 2. building a warfund to fend off any legal battles. Assuming GW are no longer interested in the WHFB market and aren't interested in throwing good money after bad, having the means to defend any legal challenge acts as a deterrent. With proper funding you could "get the band back together" and hire all the early to mid 90's White Dwarf, Evy Metal and Games Workshop staff to create "the perfect edition".
    • N3okorrales wrote:

jimbo81 wrote:

tiny wrote:

jimbo81 wrote:

All I wanted was 8th ed with the woodies beaten back from stupid and the beasts boosted. Was that too much to ask?
      The short answer is: yes!The longer answer can be found here:the-ninth-age.com/news/index.p…-change-from-version-1-1/
      And here:
      the-ninth-age.com/news/index.p…gal-explanations-for-t9a/
      good grief! I'm not in a position to quit my job and take up full time study. Forget I asked.
      You did have enough time to complain ;)
      More a caution (than a complaint) assuming there is still time to avert this change to the magic item allocation before it's too late - as they say: the game will be set for a "long time" after this. The magic armour, weapon, talisman, enchanted item thing is so D&D and GW don't own that - and the words are Tolkien / Generic anyway.
    • jimbo81 wrote:

managed to read the link. Apologies. Still bitter about the death of WHFB and really want 9th age to be business as usual and for my bitterness I apologise. That legal thing is a simple fix - just make a binding agreement with any manufacturer that wants to advertise on 9th age site and affiliated facebook sites that they build in to their crowd-funding an extra 5% that goes in to funding the 9th age project. You guys have an AGM with a treasurer and a financial report and start 1. getting paid to contribute (because you deserve it) 2. building a warfund to fend off any legal battles. Assuming GW are no longer interested in the WHFB market and aren't interested in throwing good money after bad, having the means to defend any legal challenge acts as a deterrent. With proper funding you could "get the band back together" and hire all the early to mid 90's White Dwarf, Evy Metal and Games Workshop staff to create "the perfect edition".
      Or they could just keep doing what they're doing and make a great game...
    • Jimbo81 wrote:

That legal thing is a simple fix -
      OK, let me stop you right there, it's not, really. In fact, it's crazy complicated. I do this for a living and it has taken me a while to get my head around all the issues.

With the concept of dealing with a lawsuit, there's the "let's build a war chest" approach to fight them, or the "let's just avoid this issue all together" approach. We took the latter. Some will say it is impossible to get far enough away ever. I disagree. When it comes to legal issues, reasonable minds can disagree. However, I think the devs have done a tremendous job of being innovative and new. This truly is a new game, but will have the same rank and file feel we are all looking for.

On the getting paid thing, no, this opens up a whole new can of worms. We are a volunteer org and will stay that way. Our staff is here because they love this game and the community. Things get weird when money starts getting thrown around. One of our core strengths is that we are not driven by monetary considerations so our rules are not crafted to sell anyone's models (OP Demi gryphs anyone?). This leaves us truly independent So we can have balanced rules.

Believe me @jimbo81 we really have thought it through and have embarked on what we feel is the best and most sustainable course. If you disagree, I respect that.

There is another news release coming soon that i just wrote to help provide a high level look at our goals and methodology. I think it's important that the community understands the "why" in our decisions.

Thanks guys for all your support. Thanks @Bugman for the news release. Top notch as always.
    • I honestly am a tiny bit disappointed that the delivery time has been extended out to next (at the moment), as I had hoped for a fix for the many issues I see for my army of choice (DE). As it stands it is one of the weakest armies, up to a point where I have to rebuild my entire army to have a tiny competitive chance against other players in my area.

When work first started on 2.0 you stated that you aimed for a early fall release, and I thought; Ok. I can live with 6 months of having a sub-par army. And then the Fire magic and ranged meta happened, and now it's incredibly hard to even be slightly competitive when it comes to games. The only lists I've had a chance to compete with has been thematic armies where the focus has been a "lore" battle, rather than trying to outright win.

Because of this I've mostly stopped playing the game, rather returning to Warhammer 40k after they released 8th edition and the game became fun again. And I'm very sure that I'm not alone in doing that.

Other than that I try to keep up to date on what's happening in here, to see if there is any news, potential hotfixes or any news about we can expect a concrete release date, so it's not completely lost. Just.. the hype has passed.
      #FreeKillerInstinct
    • Madsvg wrote:

I honestly am a tiny bit disappointed that the delivery time has been extended out to next (at the moment), as I had hoped for a fix for the many issues I see for my army of choice (DE). As it stands it is one of the weakest armies, up to a point where I have to rebuild my entire army to have a tiny competitive chance against other players in my area.

When work first started on 2.0 you stated that you aimed for a early fall release, and I thought; Ok. I can live with 6 months of having a sub-par army. And then the Fire magic and ranged meta happened, and now it's incredibly hard to even be slightly competitive when it comes to games. The only lists I've had a chance to compete with has been thematic armies where the focus has been a "lore" battle, rather than trying to outright win.

Because of this I've mostly stopped playing the game, rather returning to Warhammer 40k after they released 8th edition and the game became fun again. And I'm very sure that I'm not alone in doing that.

Other than that I try to keep up to date on what's happening in here, to see if there is any news, potential hotfixes or any news about we can expect a concrete release date, so it's not completely lost. Just.. the hype has passed.
      you need more raptor chariots and raptor Knights!
      #freekillerinstinct
    • That's my understanding, the release before the end of year will be open to anyone, but on the understanding that it isn't polished.
      That is why 1.3 will still be available.
      Being supportive & giving useful criticism aren't mutually exclusive.
      Are you supportive of the project? Do your posts reflect that?

List repository and links HERE
      Basic beginners tactics HERE
    • I can confirm the initial release will be open to everyone and that I urge everyone to download it, play games and report back to us!

The books are also being updated to fit with Second Edition along with the odd tweak here and there.

The meta is about to change all over again
      http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Fantasy Dwarf website on the net, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, balls to ships!

Advisory Board

Head of Public Relations

Bugmans Brewery Owner (Dwarven Holds)