Native American Themed Army: First Nations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• Native American Themed Army: First Nations

!!!PLAYTESTERS NEEDED!!!
      UPDATED 5/22/2020

FLUFF IN PROGRESS

Who are the Chaske

The Chaske, or First Sons as the name translates, are those humans indigenous to the continent of Silexia. Currently the majority of Chaske people are those living west of the great Tietha River. Before the coming of the Dread Elves, the Chaske had no names for themselves other than “The People” and even though some might have differing traditions and governments “The People” still saw themselves as a single nation. With many tribes and bands of “The People” extant, they used place names as further identifiers. A band living at the fork of a river may have called themselves “The People of Two Rivers” and this was enough then. The arriving elves have never understood this, and gave “The People” many false names, as they give false names to the Chaske even now. Calling all Chaske by the collective term, First Nations, is a continuation of these misunderstandings.

This is what is taught in the verbal traditions the Chaske keep today. With the arrival of elves on Silexia’s shores, “The People” chose to share their home lands with the newcomers. The People kept no secrets from the elves, and gave to them freely, while encouraging these newcomers to share in kind. The elves did not understand the ways of “The People”, or they just decided to take advantage of the humanity that was shown to them. The elves attacked “The People” and forced them away from ancestral grounds. The elves started keeping “The People” hostage for forced labor. “The People” made poor servants for they had great pride, and they would not serve the elves without great damage to their own bodies. Seeing that The People could not be broken, the elves hunted them across all of the ancestral lands known to “The People”. Those surviving this purge fled west into harsher lands, with wilder magics. There “The People” started anew, as the Chaske, or First Sons. These are the First Sons of Silexia, and the First Sons of “The People;” to whom the lands of the east belong.

What are Animal Spirits
      When they lived in the east, “The People” kept the stories of the Great Animals, their Chiefs, and their Tribes. Many may have thought these were nothing more than the type of myths their wise ones invent to teach lessons to “The People”. It was upon becoming Chaske, that the Animal Spirits revealed themselves once again. The elves angered the Chieftains of the Animals, and they sought alliance with the Chaske to rid the lands of elven plows and hunters.

The Animal Spirits are the truest expression of an Animal from beyond the Veil. It is from these Spirits that all animal behaviors are copied. The spiders in the world know how to spin thread because Spider has taught them. A coyote howls at the moon because it has heard Coyote do the same. Each of these Spirits has potent Medicine within it they use together to cast magic and work miracles.

What is Medicine
      Medicine is the Chaske name for magic, destiny, and power. The word can mean many things depending how it is used, but all things that deal with the Veil are Medicine. Many things in the life of the Chaske are a reference to Medicine. One example of such is Medicine Paths, which are the destiny a life might reach. Braves will often paint their shields with their Medicine Path and thereby convert the shield itself into a Medicine Object. Other objects imbued with Medicine hold power, either because of the objects; origin, who made it, or the story the object tells.

What are Medicine Paths
      Medicine Paths are the course of life a Chaske should take according to their visions and dreams. It is the primary responsibility of those gifted in using Medicine to guide Chaske along their Medicine Paths. Medicine Paths often can be seen as occupations from an outsiders point of view. As an example, a Medicine Path may lead to living as a warrior for a time, before becoming an important political figure. All Chaske seek the help and guidance of Medicine in keeping to their life’s Medicine Path. A life gone off the proper Medicine Path is a disastrous thing.

Citations
      Much of the work has been informed via the following websites
      legendsofamerica.com/native-american-legends/
      native-languages.org/sitemap.htm (This one was the most helpful)

Outstanding changes for future version:

Display Spoiler

• Background section needed
      • Impressions of other armies section needed
      • More Flavor text for every unit entry and for Ghost Dance hereditary spell needed
      • Art needed

How the Army Plays:

Display Spoiler

Playing this book requires a bend not break approach; focusing on heavy first turn damage combined with mobile low strength shooting. Make use of how difficult it is to keep a First Nations army in prolonged combats. Or, use your mobility and shooting to handle enemy units. As a First Nations Army player, you have the abilities and units you need to control the middle of the board as well as the board edge. Use that to your advantage.

Supporting the Army:
      Units are meant to work individually by charging into an enemy one after another. The army lacks synergy except when it comes to Discipline.

Psychology: The Chaske are very devoted to combat, but take a different view to it than other warrior cultures. The Chaske view entering and then escaping danger unharmed as the highest manor of achievement. War fare leads to individual accomplishments and thus the army lacks high discipline or cohesion. As said earlier, employ a bend not break style that is spread out. Even while the low discipline of the army is an Achilles heel, the army has a rule which makes low discipline a strength if properly played.

Versatility: The Chaske lack much versatility on their own, and so incorporate some non-human elements to add more static combat blocks, monsters, or to make up for lacking certain types of units. The Chaske lack artillery, heavy cavalry, heavy infantry, and wagons.

Deployment & Scoring: The army has many deployment options such as bush, Scout and Vanguard. This is made up for by having very very limited Scoring access.

Close Combat: The army features a great deal of impact hits that are all capable of handling unarmored units. In most cases High armoured and high resilience units will be more difficult to deal with. The Chaske do have limited access to attacks which can handle either armour or high resilience, but these tools are vulnerable.

Strength in Numbers: Chaske are pseudo-elite; better than average humans. Hence, they are also more expensive than ordinary humans when it comes to the point costs, this is midigated, by their low strength and lacking armor. Chaske will never have the numbers of an armies like OnG, EoS, or VS but will often field more models than KoE, OK, or DH.

Special Saves: Apart from Spirits, humans rely only on their War Paint for supernatural protection and do not gain Aegis or Fortitude saves.

Strong Shooting: Shooting is mostly limited to S3. Their are units with Strength 4 or 5 shooting in 8" ranges.

High Strength: Attacks are mostly limited to S4 and sometimes S5. A single unit has access to S6 with great weapons.

Damage Resistance: Despite being human, this army features some of the best resistance values available. Most units have a resistance of 4 and two units have resistance 5. The army also has an ability similar to parry for resistance. This is coupled with a lack of armor throughout the book. Only a handful units have armor values granting an armour save. Hence, armour saves for most infantry are absent and cavalry reaches max. 4+.

Magic: The army can access a high number of low numbered spells and can achieve high Channel Values. The army does lack in access to higher level spells, with only two available Wizard Masters in the army. One of these wizards is limited to learning only spell 1, and the other is limited to Cosmology.

SOME AVAILABLE MINIATURES

Picture is proof of Concept for Buffalo riding

Feelings of Controversy in making use of First Nation's culture for popular works:

Native American peoples have actively decried the representation of their life, culture and history within works of modern or post modern popular culture. Knowing this it is important that this work is sensitive and does not misrepresent First Nations people in any way. This army intends to pay homage to the Native American Tribes and Bands of the Great Plains or Bison Belt. While as a collective of individuals no large group of peoples can be identified as "good" or "bad", I however do believe that the history and works of Native Americans showcases qualities of heroism and selflessness that should form the backbone of a "Good" army within The Ninth Age Project. It has been attempted that the army does not stereotype the Lakota, Sioux, Cheyenne or other Native Peoples from whom it is inspired. I have also attempted an army book which is "inspired by" rather than a "copy of" Native American culture and folk history. If anything done here in the work presented is believed to perpetuate misunderstandings or harmful beliefs regarding First Nations peoples, please enjoy your right to criticize my work. I promise to promptly respond to resolve all valid and explicit complaints.

Why some things are not in the army:
      Display Spoiler
      I am often asked why are there no Skin Walkers, Wendigos, Rolling Heads or other some such native american monster which has made its way into popular culture. Verified information on Skin Walkers is rather hard to come by and purposefully so. Native Americans with cultural knowledge of their tribes and bands closely guard such knowledge to prevent their culture being misappropriated by popular media such as Hollywood cinema or fictional writings. What I have been able to find out about many Native American monsters is that they are often unsuitable for use by a heroic army. Skin Walkers and Wendigos are particularly a bad fit as they represent breaking the most honored of all taboos within a Native American Culture - Murder, Cannibalism and Witchcraft. These creatures are without a doubt evil. They are most often transformations from a normal human into a monster after an act of murder. Thus such creatures would be best represented as the result of influence from Father Chaos and other Dameon Lords.

The post was edited 35 times, last by echoCTRL ().

• There is some info on Native Silexians in the Warriors of the Dark Gods Armybook.

They mention that Warriors there come from native tribes, they live in teepees, etc.

There are also Beast Herds there.

(PS : the link is not working)

Russian Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • <3 ... except there is no pts value.
      Also, whenever you update your work, please update the FIRST post of the threa, so that people may not need to search where is the last update.

Social Media Team

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
    • Calisson wrote:

<3 ... except there is no pts value.
      Also, whenever you update your work, please update the FIRST post of the threa, so that people may not need to search where is the last update.
      Of course I updated the first post, but should have written so. I am afraid of giving it my work point values. Being ADT I tend to under estimate the value of almost anything. :D

I want to thank you for looking at the book. It means a great deal to me.
    • Calisson wrote:

Yeah, like what we keep not doing for our Taphrian projects ;)

Need to think about it haha

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

• @echoCTRL Much better! :largegrin: Now you can hope that someone would test out. And criticize for improvement.
      Could you provide a couple of line of fluff for the TaTonka? The other entries are classic enough but this one, I struggle.

Ghiznuk wrote:

Calisson wrote:

Yeah, like what we keep not doing for our Taphrian projects ;)
      Need to think about it haha
      Didn't someone benevolent care for Taphria already? :saint:

Social Media Team

• Updated the Seer Council to be clearer in price and added the first flavor text.

At some point during the day I added Dog Soldiers to Core. These are inspired by the Cheyenne Warrior Society of the same name. They have Frenzy and Battle Focus. Dog Soldiers were considered a little off kilter because they would pin themselves to a spot of ground (using 3 arrows in their back apron of their breech-clout) and fight to the death on that same spot.

I also found nice models for the Naked Bear and the Horned Serpent so I added them to the Spirit Beasts portion. The Great Naked Bear is a bear with no skin that is of extra large size and voracity.

The Great Horned Serpent, Unktehila, is the mortal enemy of Wakinyan, or Thunderbird, so it is fitting to have them both and not just the Thunderbird.

Big Questions.

Do they need more?

More Units?
      More Character upgrades? I was thinking of making Bloodline upgrades for characters.
      Does it need the presence of some of the spirit tribes that interact with Native Americans in their legends. Such as the Iktomi, Coyote, Cyclone Men (sorta already there), or Rattle Snake?

The post was edited 1 time, last by echoCTRL ().

• echoCTRL wrote:

More Units?

More Character upgrades? I was thinking of making Bloodline upgrades for characters.
      Does it need the presence of some of the spirit tribes that interact with Native Americans in their legends. Such as the Iktomi, Coyote, Cyclone Men (sorta already there), or Rattle Snake?
      More is not always better, keep it simple. Do not try to stuff Bloodlines if this is not necessary.
      However, the spirit tribes could add a welcome variety of distinctively North American fantasy, so a couple more or spirit units would be a great addition.

What may be missing is the concept: how this army is intended to play? When I say concept, that is broader than ASAW.
      Example, EoS concept is mostly mediocre infantry with a high grade of inter-unit support, plus lots of warmachines.

Social Media Team

• Concept.

Lots of Chaff units charging from multiple directions. The units are designed to break in close combat. The ability Warpath is a modified Feigned Flight that allows for:

No Shaken after Fleeing as a charge reaction or as the result of failing a break test.
      Making the Discipline test for Rally with Minimized roll.
      Flee distance is Advance Rate +d6 instead of 2d6.

These features are key to the army operating very close to enemy units in order to take advantage of the shorter range of bows and throwing weapons. They are meant to charge the enemy and not play complete avoidance. There are benefits gained for charging the enemy, fighting duels, and breaking the enemy units.

Commanding Presence is a problem for this army as is having Static Combat resolution. This is why there is an item which swaps commanding presence for Rally around the flag om Army Generals.

The army does have a few units that do not use warpath. These units have special mounts such as Buffalo, White Buffalo, Condors, and Dust Devils. The other unit designed to hold in combat is the core unit Dog Soldiers. They have Frenzy and Battle Focus and are tied for the highest Discipline among unit entries that aren't characters or Monsters. They are also the only unit that can take a Standard Bearer, which is not a mistake.

The Buffalo, and White Buffalo mounted units are the shock troops and support the other units which should often be forward deployed through either scout or vanguard. Condor mounted units are for clearing chaff at long range and make use of their high AP ranged attacks to take on a few other things that rely on armor rather than resilience for protection.

Strengths
      Speed - Mobility
      Deployment
      Mobile Shooting
      Magic - Support
      Magic - Large Damage Spells

Weaknesses
      Leadership
      Armour
      Medium Strength Shooting
      High Stength Shooting - Warmachines
      Buffing Units
    • Arrh @Calisson you're always one step ahead from me

I was going to write exactly what you've just written.

So, yes, very interesting stuff and research, but now I'd also like some designer's notes on how the army is intended to be played. ^^

And yes, more units does not mean better, as you always have the risk that some choices will never be taken if not carefully balanced or if their role in the army is not clearly defined, while other choices will become « auto-take ».

So you're thinking that you have an army with tons of choices but in reality you'd only see the 5 same units on the table, which is not cool.

Also, don't forget some fluff.

For example, in our world, Native Americans did not have horses until Europeans introduced them. How does that fit in T9A ?
      Some 1-2 lines description of the units would be good, too. :)

EDIT : wrote too late again ^^

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ghiznuk ().

• OK, read it all, I just love that concept !!

So great !!

Sounds really challenging to play though !

And what I like – different from the other Homebrew armies as well !

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

• Omg that book is sick. Its like superior guerilla based version of SE where bladed dancers are skirmisher cavalry with thrown weapons and the whole army has hit and run! Sold!

Is there any way to lose coup tokens? Also do character tokens stack with unit tokens?

And more importantly is the intent of a tomahawk that it can be used alongside a shield? Please say yes.
      "When a man lies he murders some part of the world.. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdoms of Equitaine take me home" -Merlin/James Hetfield/KOE "To Live is To Die"
    • Stygian wrote:

Omg that book is sick. Its like superior guerilla based version of SE where bladed dancers are skirmisher cavalry with thrown weapons and the whole army has hit and run! Sold!

Is there any way to lose coup tokens? Also do character tokens stack with unit tokens?

And more importantly is the intent of a tomahawk that it can be used alongside a shield? Please say yes.
      Thank you.

Currently no way of losing Coup tokens but if anyone ever playtests the army and tells me it is too powerful I will make it so refusing a challenge causes you to lose Coup Tokens. The Coup Tokens of a Character and of a unit should be kept separate. I will look into the wording and make sure to clear that up.

The Tomahawk is a throwing weapon and a Paired Weapon. So it cannot be used with a shield. The only entry that uses both a tomahawk and a shield has weapon master. so they can switch between Light Lance and shield, hand weapon and shield, and the Tomahawk. However, because the tomahawk is a throwing weapon you could use the tomahawks shooting profile and another weapon in the melee phase.