Feudal Japan in T9A

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Lawot wrote:

@Niedfaru @Giladis and @ anyone else who might make a decision about this someday:
      If T9A ever does do an official Japanese-inspired army, I beg and plead that it not be called Nippon. Nippon is an actual, if archaic, name for Japan. Like calling the Knights of Equitaine "Franks" or something. For one, it would be really cheap. For another, to do so would undermine all the work T9A does to be thoughtful about culture, ethnocentricity and imperialism. Calling an army Nippon would basically say that Equitaine, Sonnstahl and Japan are all parodies of the real world.
      Have no fear. Nippon is actually the preferred official name of the real world nation (well nippon-koku). There's no way we could appeal to a Japanese market if we went with that name.

In fact, one of the first things I did when I joined the team was attack the WIP names of every nation we had for being too much like real world counterparts. As you can see, the others changed, and I'll be damned if I'll let this one be the exception. ;)

Background Team

Prophet of Pavements

• I would do something like Yamara. Resembles Yamato sounds like Yamaha. I'd prefer to see more Meiji influences than Sengoku. Perhaps they were isolated and fragmented clans in the past but they have been forcefully opened to the world thanks to Dread Elf privations. Damn Mathlann Peryn and his Black Ships!

The strength of the Samurai class was destroyed and having lost their honor they have lost their privileges. A civil war led to the nobles being usurped by the maligned merchant class and the commoners. Now the Divine Emperor serves as the religious head of a constitutional monarchy and professional armies supplied with Imperial arms by Highborn Elven merchants are becoming the norm.

In short the culture of 19th century Japan with 16th century tech. I'm thinking like Zaibatsu with private armies kept in check by a highly centralized state.

Plus it would make them more distinct compared to the existing Human factions.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Col. Tartleton ().

• wouldn't dread elves then maake more sense? They have more sophisticated weapons that require less skill to use where as high elves train to ludicrous degree with simple weapons, you could have repeater crossbow armed commoners, ninjas would be trained by shades, native monstrous beasts/demons could be tamed by beastmasters. This can be countered by the elite samurai, devout monks with spirit allies as the national counterpart
    • Dracolus wrote:

wouldn't dread elves then maake more sense? They have more sophisticated weapons that require less skill to use where as high elves train to ludicrous degree with simple weapons, you could have repeater crossbow armed commoners, ninjas would be trained by shades, native monstrous beasts/demons could be tamed by beastmasters. This can be countered by the elite samurai, devout monks with spirit allies as the national counterpart
      I meant the High Elf Merchant fleets are shipping firearms from the Old World to the east at extortionate rates. If only because no one else has accurate charts or enough magic to get through the Dread Elf privateers.

Dread Elves have their whole evil republic thing going on so I can't see them assisting in commerce. They're commerce raiders. Basically I see them preying on the Japanese nation with increasing frequency and severity. Enslaving entire coastal towns in a single night of violence. The Samurai are basically emasculated because they can't defeat the raiders with their traditional methods. Meanwhile the Merchants who have contacts with the High Elves smuggle in enormous quantities of fire locks and cannon to protect their interests.

Elves may prefer not use these crude and dangerous dwarf contrivances but they do not oppose purchasing enormous stores of them from EoS merchants and transporting them halfway around the world to equip a potential ally in a proxy war with their arch rival. If a barrel should burst or a shell explode prematurely that is unacceptable for elves, but if the victims are human, no matter.

The Merchants and their private armies are more successful in defending the shores than the increasingly outdated warrior class. Things come to a head when the Shogunate attempts to restrict firearm imports. This leads to a civil war where the Warrior and Merchant clans battle for power in the new order. The Shogunate is overthrown and the reins of power are now in the hands of the business interests with the Emperor now a religious figurehead around what is essentially a republic.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Col. Tartleton ().

• wouldn't a larger relience on state troops and gunpowder weapons make them more like the empire of sonnstahl rather tnan diffentiate them? To me a fantasy japanese army stands out due to its more elite focused infantry and mythological units which could be more present due to highly magical landscape, mountains and forest seeped in magical nature where these beings dwell which are in turn a target for dread elf collecters.
    • I like your ideas of a « modern traditional Japan » but I'm not sure people would recognize it, if you know what I mean ?
      I mean that in this game, we have to keep to some level of cliché else people don't understand anymore what we are talking about.
      And surely anyone wishing to play some fantasy Japan wants samurais in his army. Else, what is the point ?? :(
      Plus the issue of finding models.
      I think your tale could fit more a Tsuan-Tan army, which I imagine more modern and less elite.

We also should sort out two things to make your story valid :
      1) how big is the « Pacific Ocean » in the T9A world ? where is it located, what are the conditions there… at the moment we only have a map of half (or two thirds ?) of the world, so there is like a « Dark Side of the Moon » effect that means we don' tknow what's there.
      Maybe there even is a lost continent such as Lemuria over there.
      2) we don't know whether the Dread Elves have made it to the Western coast of the continent. Historically the USA needed centuries before managing to find a road to the Western coast and settle in California. In the WH universe, the Dark Elves of Naggaroth traveled through a network of giant caves through the mountains to get to the Western Coast (for nothing really, since the armies of the Far East were never officially developed), but in T9A I'm not aware of anything such.

Russian Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • I always liked to play Shogun 2 on the computer but I have never been a fan of samurais with firearms. I prefer the medieval type of honorable warrior with katana and bow. And this is the thing I would also suggest for a fantasy setting like T9A. Supplemented with a few fantasy units from the Japanese mythology. In my eyes the "modern" Japan of the "Fall of the Samurai" period wouldn`t be an appropriate fantasy-nippon for our tabletop game.

What`s about the name "Oyashima" for our fantasy-nippon? This ancient name is from the Japanese creation myth.
      Fantasy author and tabletop fan
      alexander-merow.de.tl

The post was edited 3 times, last by Guntrogg ().

• As for a japanese (Nippon) location, wouldn't those islands at the northeast of augea be a good setting? Its close to the chinese faction too. Is there anything else on that location?

Am I missing anything? I guess the ? areas are empty or have ork tribes

As for the clans, there are currently 6 in the book:

More here: the-ninth-age.com/community/in…ostID=1282185#post1282185
      No matter what dreams or hopes you had. No matter how blessed of a life you've lived. It's all the same: Everyone will die someday. Does that mean life is meaningless? Would you say that of our fallen comrades? Their lives, were they meaningless? No they weren't! It's us who gives meaning to our comrades lives! The ones who will remember them,are us, the living! And as we ride to certain death, we trust the living to do the same for us! Rage, my soldiers! Scream, my soldiers! Fight, my soldiers!
    • That's right.

On the other hand, @Niedfaru and @Giladis I'm completely dumbfounded at the fact that you still have plans for a Japan equivalent, which is clearly not necessary in the setting (proof is that there is no mention of it whatsoever in any of the released fluff, and it doesn't feel like anything is missing) but only there to aim at some otaku fanbase, and no plans for a Russia equivalent, despite the huge demand by the Russian (and the Ukrainian, and the Belarusan, and the Latvian) community as well as all the Kislev fans who, remember do have models that they wish to be able to play in T9A. (while noone has any fantasy Romanian / Bulgarian models, Volskaya is not an excuse, we have three Latin and two Germanic nations, don't see why we couldn't have two Slavic ones).

(feeling like starting a new thread on the subject, by the way)

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

• Zagvozd is the second "slavic" speaking realm mentioned so far in the setting.

Also you are incorrect on Volskaya. While the language is based on south slavic the culture and society will be much more diverse based on geography.

Volskaya is sort of equivalent of the late Kievan Rus with additional inspirations from other slavic areas. So that should be enough to cover "there is no Russia or Ukraine" part of the comment.

The rest does not fit because the geography and geographic development withi the setting did not allow for an emergence of a direct equivalent to Russia.

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

Team Croatia ETC 2019 Captain ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HEROES AND VILLEINS OF THE 9TH AGE
    • @nightovizard do keep in mind that map is heavily distorted outside of Vetia as it is intended to match historical cartography of the sort of equivalent real history time period. :)

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

Team Croatia ETC 2019 Captain ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HEROES AND VILLEINS OF THE 9TH AGE
    • Giladis wrote:

@nightovizard do keep in mind that map is heavily distorted outside of Vetia as it is intended to match historical cartography of the sort of equivalent real history time period. :)
      Oh if it is distorted it would explaing why it is so up in the north. It would make sense for them to be far from accurate. And unless the map is expanded there are not other islands that could represent a japan like nation besides that one. @Giladisthanks for the reply, are the terrirories i overlayed more or less correct btw? There seem to be extensive empty land masses (Augea).

@Ghiznuk I know quite a lot of people who own Kislev stuff so I'm pretty sure they'd appreciate that too. As for nippon, theres quite a lot of people with japanese like armies, myself included.

No matter what dreams or hopes you had. No matter how blessed of a life you've lived. It's all the same: Everyone will die someday. Does that mean life is meaningless? Would you say that of our fallen comrades? Their lives, were they meaningless? No they weren't! It's us who gives meaning to our comrades lives! The ones who will remember them,are us, the living! And as we ride to certain death, we trust the living to do the same for us! Rage, my soldiers! Scream, my soldiers! Fight, my soldiers!

The post was edited 1 time, last by nightovizard ().

• nightovizard wrote:

Oh if it is distorted
      When I say distorted I really mean distorted. For example Askland is roughly equivalent of Scandinavia in both placement and size. Now compare that to the entire continent of Augea which is equivalent in size to Asia.

nightovizard wrote:

are the terrirories i overlayed more or less correct btw?
      Close enough.

nightovizard wrote:

There seem to be extensive empty land masses (Augea).
      They are not empty, it is just that the Cartographer in question had no idea what is there. This map was made by Sonnstahler based on information mostly coming from scholars and explorers centred on the Middle Sea. If we do another map with a PoV in lets say Tsuandan I can guarantee the information shown between the two maps as well as styles of how things are shown will be quite different.

:)

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

• And probably a map made by a Tsuandanese will not distort everything just to get Avras in the centre of the map, for purely religious reasons.

@nightovizard wonderful army !!!
      Yeah I was only teasing of course, it is obvious that we need a Japan, just for the sake of getting them models out of the cupboard :)

But here we have a lot of people with ex-Kislev armies, and we are told that Volskayan army will not be the same as Kislev army, so what to do with those models ?
      (anyway, let's keep this for another thread)

Long live fantasy Japan !

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations