Orcs and Goblins - Tribes, realms and characters

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Phaeoron wrote:

Actually, kinda yeah. I've only played skyrim though so the 'oppressed fringes of society' aspect kinda threw me off the scent. Influences, man, can't escape 'em.
      Although, elder scrolls orcs all do smithing.... but, in the strongholds it's the orc women who are the Smith's and the war lord's #1 wife is known as forge mother or something like that... they are kind of treated as 2nd class.
    • What I've imagined is that a woman orc can be a warrior, even a war chief, but it's more difficult for them because I imagine their sexual dimorphism to go roughly along the lines of humans. It's kinda like in the modern military where women face prejudice but can attain high positions. It's just rarer for orc women to choose that path since they absolutely have to be really bad@ss to compete with the brutish males, and it's an uphill battle because they are physically smaller. Still, some absolutely legendary orcish war ladies exist in my mind, having earned a grudging respect and awe of the society by being the baddest, meanest orcs around.

In the privacy of the home most orc warriors know their place under the Supreme Queen of the Household who runs the show while they are out fighting :D Sounds super sexist I know, but this isn't any personal male fantasy, just how I imagine this fantasy race built around military values would operate.
      "You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -Death
      Phae's Pointy-Ear Blog: Elves in a Corner
    • Both would work I guess, but most traditional societies in the real world have a lot of taboos and a very strong separation between the sexes when it comes to who can do what. In some tribes, a woman cannot even touch the hunting bows. They throw the bow away if it happens. And women fighting is extremely rare, not only does it not work well when you fight hand to hand because of the dimorphism - it is often taboo and considered ridiculous.

But in a fantasy setting you can do whatever you want of course. I'm not in favor of doing too weird things to the human fractions, because I like it when they're based on historical societies, but I think it would be kinda cool if orcs didn't have any sexual dimorphism. Female orc models would be cool. Brutish warriors, some with babies strapped to their backs. Orc babies get to experience war from birth
    • I like greenskins to have fun at what they do.

While I am open to change, I do not want another human like but slightly different race. Physical similarities dictate similar equipment and a biological race for survival. That is a necessity of having hands to interact with the world.
      But give them a very different background and interests in life, the army has a unique composition including many species, so why do they stay together?

At the core I would want a cultural thing, something to unite them in a common cause. Something that keeps them moving.

A crazy idea example:
      Display Spoiler

The big green energy that drives the greenskins, it gives them strength and it gives them weakness. Once a highly evolved race, they experimented with genetics. Quite a lot of improvement was made to the quality of life until unforeseen random mutations occurred resulting in growth defects.
      With the greenskins focus on biological engineering they created a virus to cure and protect themselves. For a while this worked and stable subspecies emerged. But the mutations did not stop and this time it was not only the greenskins, the virus evolved as well.

The greenskins scattered all over the world in search for safety. That was when they learned of magic and with magic they were able to subdue the worst effects of their genetic experiments. There is one problem though, as greenskin societies grow the magic used to help them takes on a life of it's own and aggression is just one side effect. The result is always the same, a mob on a rampage.
      Strangely enough the greenskins found that subspecies living together did not have such negative effects and would help control the size of each tribe through ritual combat. Take a toll, but always respect the balance. Hence a culture of extreme diversity was the result. As long as the tribes kept each other in balance the great green energy would keep them safe.
      Due to racial problems sometimes outsiders wipe out a tribe they see as an easy target, unbalancing the larger greenskin ecology in the region and often resulting in their own destruction.

In the 9th age a recent newly found control of the big green energy by an unknown source is causing a ripple effect. Dormant mutations that lingered through the ages stir again, having very strange effects on many tribes. Some went feral, other started to develop biological engineering again and experiment and others incorporated a small amount of the green energy in their genetic code resulting in independent greenskins who are free of all the negative side effects, they also no longer look that green ...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Little Joe ().

• You can't create such things in a wacky greenhide vacuum though. That would make our world one which has had advanced bioengineering -level tech, which would be very disruptive regarding the immersion for the rest of the races.

I vote against, but applaud the creativity. Even the fungus orcs would be an easier pill to swallow, since that affects the history of the rest of the factions much less.
      "You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -Death
      Phae's Pointy-Ear Blog: Elves in a Corner
    • Phaeoron wrote:

You can't create such things in a wacky greenhide vacuum though. That would make our world one which has had advanced bioengineering -level tech, which would be very disruptive regarding the immersion for the rest of the races.

I vote against, but applaud the creativity. Even the fungus orcs would be an easier pill to swallow, since that affects the history of the rest of the factions much less.
      I agree, it was just an example of a cohesive ecology emerging for reasons. The real task is up to the BG team and I like to be surprised.
    • So do all kinds of orcs and goblins exist in this setting? The Orcs of Elder Scrolls and LOTR are both very different creatures. Do the big green barbarian hulks exist alongside the small, wiry bow-legged and sallow-skinned cousins? Different breeds and such? Because I kind of like that idea. Different areas of the world cause the orcs there to develop differently.
      Wastelands/badlands/Jungle areas: Savage big dudes
      Under mountains/captured dorf holds: more scrawny, Tolkienish orc
      Regular Vetia and everywhere else: A mix of everything