New start of a old topic -usa masters

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• New start of a old topic -usa masters

well we have seen another old event here go to rest , RIP siege at the tower. Thinking any indication that the game is failing or dying here which is untrue. We have a new event in cornerhammer that has actually sold out at 60 players! We had more people even apply for the etc team then in past. So player base is still there and with 2.0 final looming around the corner people will start coming back.

So this brings up the old topic of the USA masters event. I feel that now that siege is missing in january that it leaves room for a possible masters even to be held then and try to get a competitive event bsck in the mix again. All we need is to start talking and organizing it as a community and move forward. Rankings and such always gets people's juices flowing to so better and attend events.

So thoughts ........
      @Truckeye @Fergus @Poxous @GenePhelps and anyone else you guys want to tag to start this up again
    • In a general sense, I think the concept of a US masters has to focus on location more than any other aspect. The US is massive and travel is not cheap, not to mention the time value of taking PTO to come to an event.

One idea would be to attempt to locate a centroid of the US T9A community. This perhaps could be done by data mining the T9A forums from people who have registered, taking their map locations, and then finding an euclidean centroid.

This however might put us in Iowa or something like that. Not that there is a problem with Iowa, but not knowing what the gaming scene is down there, it could be difficult to generate the proper accommodations for a big tournament for the US.

The alternative idea would be rotating hosts, so find four representative cities in the US (1 Southeast, 1 northeast, 1 mid, 1 west) and rotate the hosting. This way we make at least some masters events feasible for all potential US players (sorry Alaska, Hawaii, and territories).

With the size of the T9A community at current, I think that the event should be considered an all comers type environment. Understanding there is some feeling that the point of having an event called "masters" is to have a hardcore competitive tournament, getting bodies to the event is always a difficulty. Making the event more prestigious could be considered as an offshoot of the overall event, where casuals come to play competitive casual, and the hardcore people come to play the other hardcore people.

The event should be in a location that has affordable rental accommodations, affordable transportation both to the city, and a reasonable mode of transportation from nearby hotels/Air B&B to the event center. This sort of information is fairly reliant on some people to step up to the challenge in the community and put their location in for a bid.

I would rate local attractions somewhat low on the priorities list as 1) You are going to be playing T9A most of the day, 2) Attractive cities attract a higher cost.

Tournament should be no more than 3 days, preferably 2 of actual tournament play, with one of meet and greet, drop in matches, whatever.

Finally, wherever the venue is, drinking alcoholic beverages should be accessible (duh!).

Tagging the two other TOs in this area:
      @andrewgeddon
      @smashthedean
    • We have the Zoo in CA and woring on a second GT or Two (SoCal and Bay Area). We have also started a Californa King challenge betwen norther CA in southern CA where we are tracking touranement placeings , we will probably get 6-8 one dayers in this year and hopefully a couple 2 day things.
      Keeper of the Zoo
      Images of Ma Stuff
      My Warriors of Ind/Sagarikadesha Painting blog

In Northern CA? Give me a buzz or visit our FB Group: Norcal 9th Age
    • Don't have a ton to add to this, other than my own perspective being from the Northwest. I think we have a lot of great, dedicated players up here in the Pacific Northwest, and we run some fun events. I would love to see a proper 9th Age Masters running. I'm curious what needs to be done in the PNW area to get up to "Masters" level of participation though, as far as numbers. We have some great players willing to travel 6+ hours to attend events, but we are looking at modest attendance numbers: OFCC was the largest last year with 14 participants. I ran "9th Age at Dice" last year (now called March to War) and had 10 people. I'm not sure what kind of numbers Ham Slamwich pulled.

March to War will most likely pull in more people this year (currently sitting at ~14). Hopeful to see some new faces / returning faces for OFCC. But I'm not sure if Slamwich is happening this year? I really think we need a few more tournaments in the area; Maybe something in Seattle, and another in Oregon / Portland / further south.
    • Frumious wrote:

We have the Zoo in CA and woring on a second GT or Two (SoCal and Bay Area). We have also started a Californa King challenge betwen norther CA in southern CA where we are tracking touranement placeings , we will probably get 6-8 one dayers in this year and hopefully a couple 2 day things.
      definitely a good start to building things out there. In case you didn't know about warscore, it's a program used to help run tournaments and keep track of scores and then get published online. There's a ranking system involved with it to give points according to how big the event was and your placing at said event. Could use that to help

andrewgeddon wrote:

Don't have a ton to add to this, other than my own perspective being from the Northwest. I think we have a lot of great, dedicated players up here in the Pacific Northwest, and we run some fun events. I would love to see a proper 9th Age Masters running. I'm curious what needs to be done in the PNW area to get up to "Masters" level of participation though, as far as numbers. We have some great players willing to travel 6+ hours to attend events, but we are looking at modest attendance numbers: OFCC was the largest last year with 14 participants. I ran "9th Age at Dice" last year (now called March to War) and had 10 people. I'm not sure what kind of numbers Ham Slamwich pulled.

March to War will most likely pull in more people this year (currently sitting at ~14). Hopeful to see some new faces / returning faces for OFCC. But I'm not sure if Slamwich is happening this year? I really think we need a few more tournaments in the area; Maybe something in Seattle, and another in Oregon / Portland / further south.
      however many the numbers are they're better than 0 especially if they're dedicated people willing to travel. What you guys can do is just see what kind of interest you all have of traveling somewhere else in the USA to attend such event as well as try to grow community more.

The main objective of the original masters wasn't just to get the best of the best but also get EVERYONE together and have fun and game with people we never get to. They had 8 regions and each region brought 8 players selected in their own way. If imagine we would eventually want something similar but maybe not quite that big but that's also the point of this. FINDING INTERESTAND PLANNING
    • bubafett wrote:

however many the numbers are they're better than 0 especially if they're dedicated people willing to travel. What you guys can do is just see what kind of interest you all have of traveling somewhere else in the USA to attend such event as well as try to grow community more.
      The main objective of the original masters wasn't just to get the best of the best but also get EVERYONE together and have fun and game with people we never get to. They had 8 regions and each region brought 8 players selected in their own way. If imagine we would eventually want something similar but maybe not quite that big but that's also the point of this. FINDING INTERESTAND PLANNING
      Totally agree with all points. As I said, I love our community and I would love to see the return of the Masters proper. Perhaps I am being to "PNW" focused, which is not the point of this thread, so apologies for that. I do think it holds some merit though; If we're talking about sending regional representatives to a central event, we'll certainly need a few more events up here than 2 to determine who should go. If we're talking about just having a central event that people will travel to, maybe looking at something like expanding Cornerhammer?

But again, I agree that building interest in the game is probably priority number 1, at least for up here.

Frumious wrote:

We have the Zoo in CA and woring on a second GT or Two (SoCal and Bay Area). We have also started a Californa King challenge betwen norther CA in southern CA where we are tracking touranement placeings , we will probably get 6-8 one dayers in this year and hopefully a couple 2 day things.
      I'm hoping to make Zoo! Will have to look at the logistics of it all (new dad, 9th month old at home, poor, all that good stuff), but I'm committed to trying to drag myself and @The Beninator down there 8-)
    • Oh I always use war score for the Infernal Zoo. We are not looking to rank every player right now though for all our 1 day events. We are just tracking top finishers, pretty easy to do. The detailed rankings have their own sets of Perils, getting that competetive can put off the new players, but people can setup their events however they want.

We pulled 16-20 people at all the one day events around CA last year. I expect to get 30-40 at the Zoo. i think things are growing :)
      Keeper of the Zoo
      Images of Ma Stuff

• We have a healthy number in Southern California, probably 20 or so possible players. Our local tournaments every few months typically get 12-14 players. We had a two day event a few years ago that had 30+ people sign up but only 20 or so actually attend. Most people have family obligations and what not.

There have been very successful 8th Edition Grand Tournaments here in the past (West Coast GT for example) but many of the people that organized those events have switched to Age of Sigmar and Kings of War. We are hoping to run an inter-game event (9th, Age of Sigmar, and Kings of War all under one roof) in an attempt to reconnect parts of the community and hopefully spark renewed interest in 9th Age.

I've also submitted a request to Front Line Gaming that 9th Age be included in the roster of games at the Las Vegas Open next year. I'm doubtful that they will be open to this (because of how 9th Age was denied at Adepticon) but I figure it's worth a shot. It could be a great opportunity to grow exposure for T9A.

Very interested in this thread.
      "The old wisdom born out of the west was forsaken. Kings made tombs more splendid than the houses of the living, and counted the old names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons. Childless lords sat in aged halls musing on heraldry, or in high cold towers asking questions of the stars.”

Show off your Gaming Club!

Southern California 9th Age Facebook Page
    • Wstanley wrote:

We are hoping to run an inter-game event (9th, Age of Sigmar, and Kings of War all under one roof) in an attempt to reconnect parts of the community and hopefully spark renewed interest in 9th Age.
      Burn the heretics! :muaha: jk

One of the troubles I foresee in centralizing locations is that there is a cost/value disparity between the rural players and large city players. Those fortunate to have a community which provides consistent events may be less inclined to spend extra time or money to attend an event that is marginally far away, whereas folks who live in the outskirts and have very few opportunities to play will go to great lengths to get any number of games in.

Centralization may be the most equitable, but equity =/= effective in all cases. What are your thoughts about my potential over generalization?
    • The Masters idea gets bounced around every now and then, and I for one would love to see it make a return.

My biggest question is what are we looking for, a true Masters event of top players or a just a tournament that we call the masters?

If we are just looking for a tournament to call the Masters, then we should just tag the largest tourney (if they are willing) from the prior year as this years “Masters” for example, “Buckeye Battles (2018 US Masters)”. The downside to this (if you want to call it that) is that Buckeye will hold the Masters title until they decline it. I like the idea of rotating it among regions, but when Buckeye draws 100+ and some tourney in the Mid-Atlantic draws 50, I would find it hard to call the Mid-Atlantic tourney the masters.

If it is a true “Masters” event of top players we are looking for, then we need a method of selecting those players. Warscore is probably best, select the top x players from qualifying tournaments and have the tourney be by invitation only.
    • I think that once the game stabilizes into a solid 2nd Edition that this will be an idea worth revisiting. Right now with 2.0 still in beta and rules changes constantly on the horizon, people in my region are having a hard time sticking with the game. I'd really love to see a revitalized tournament scene for Fantasy emerge and I understand that things are still going pretty strong on the East Coast, but the game is still struggling out West. That said, I do think that a successful Masters-level event would help fuel the fire and get people excited about the game again so there's that.
      My battle reports:
      VC Bloody Battle Blog
    • I'm for a masters only event. I dont think think you should repurpose existing tournaments, especially those that are working well. And it should be held where it is most likely to get good attendance. But flights are always cheap to vegas if you can sort out tables haha ...Maybe if will makes inroads with frontline hold it at the LVO?

I did like the old system where the regions got to choose how people attended. I know the ETC team is done through committe.. And I think that works best. But you could reserve some spots for top Masters finishers. So much depends on availability but people would still enjoy playing for a prize.
      Keeper of the Zoo
      Images of Ma Stuff

• GenePhelps wrote:

My biggest question is what are we looking for, a true Masters event of top players or a just a tournament that we call the masters?

If we are just looking for a tournament to call the Masters, then we should just tag the largest tourney (if they are willing) from the prior year as this years “Masters” for example, “Buckeye Battles (2018 US Masters)”. The downside to this (if you want to call it that) is that Buckeye will hold the Masters title until they decline it. I like the idea of rotating it among regions, but when Buckeye draws 100+ and some tourney in the Mid-Atlantic draws 50, I would find it hard to call the Mid-Atlantic tourney the masters.
      Formula 1 did/does this with the 'European Grand Prix' It moved around to different circuits within Europe.

You could make the 'Masters' Rotate around different tournaments. Corner hammer, Buckeye Battles, etc... so that every year a different event would double as the masters (if the TO's agree).

Also, can we lump Canada in with this? And maybe make it a CanAm masters? (even though I don't play in the big tournies, I know a few others still make it down to the big events in the great lakes areas)

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Thank you @bubafett for tagging me into this thread as well as reviving the discussion of organizing North America into a more cohesive and organized body(I agree with @kisanis that Canada should be included). In fact, I keep saying to rename this subforum ‘North America’ instead of ‘United States’ so our northern & southern neighbors would feel more welcomed.

v2.0 beta was our 2017 Christmas gift from the 9th Age team. Hopefully, the 9th Age team will continue to strive & build off the early successes that some of the new army books have in terms of flavor and unique rules for each of their respective factions. v1.3 was very vanilla and turned off quite a few players from the 9th Age Project last year. While there are some amazing examples of what the future might look like (the full version of 2.0 Warriors Army Book & HBE synergy and unique rules), we should hold off any discussions of creating an InterContinental Championship Event (or CanAm. I’m just not a fan of reusing the US Masters title from a bygone era) until we have a finished product from the 9th Age.

In the meantime, my suggestion at this time is to continue building up each other’s regional area numbers. A great example was the inaugural HogFest in the St. Louis area. We had 6 guys from Illinois traveling down to help make it a 24-man event. Hopefully, that early tournament success will lead to more locals in the St Louis area signing up and playing in the near future. My personal goal for 2018 is to create some more buzz in the Chicagoland area by hosting 1-day events at local gaming shops. I think it’s critical to expand our player base from the numbers we lost due to v1.3. I’m my opinion, where’s the honor & distinction of earning a spot at the national level if there isn’t a large pool of players to distinguish yourself from?

For this year, to give elite gamers a goal to shoot for may I suggest that local leaders in each region start reaching out to each other and begin coordinating semi-monthly or quarterly events. The events themselves can either be 2-day, 1-day, or a mixture of both. They can tie all the events together to create a regional “circuit championship series” in each of the old regional areas (or merge if their is a need to create a larger player base) and using warscore as a means for gamers to track their current standings. Use a minimum of 4 events (encourages participation), use battle points earned(or incorporate soft scores to determine the ultimate gamer), and weight the points earn based on the size of each event. In the past, Bill Robertson (the creator of warscore & a treasure to all the TOs who use warscore) created such a formula.

I agree with you @bubafett that a national/North American Chamionship Event should be revived but I’m sorry to say the timing nor the infrastructure is there to accomplish this as of now.
    • yes anyone can create a "league" or ranking system by grouping any events deemed applicable in their area. The key is all events need to use warscore and players that want to be ranked must sign up for warscore and enter players consistently into their data.

Speaking only of areas I know a little about and not trying to convince anyone, just provide info, here are some options in the Midwest.

Columbus is a hub for southwest. we have available terrain from Buckeye. there is a store that could host 32 players. not sure what they would charge, if anything. There is also the hotel where Siege was. The event coordinator is a gamer and I understand has VERY reasonable rates. Columbus is within 10hrs of half the population (according to the transportation industry stuff I get).

Toledo has a game store that hosts Ohcon and Strength 1n Numbers. It allows alcohol as long as its not out of hand. its FREE to use. Close to Detroit which is a major hub. Terrain available from Ohcon or Buckeye.

Chicago has 2 airports and multiple gaming clubs. I presume it could be done there as well.

St Louis is pretty central to the whole USA. It now has a GT so seems possible to have support there.

I know the original spot in Raleigh NC was fantastic and last I heard was open to holding it again.

One suggestion I heard was to have a 3 day event with day 1 being a qualifying day. The weekend then has a GT and Masters side by side that way people that travel to qualify and dont make the cut, and the great unwashed masses have an event. This might be better served once the community is bigger.

We probably need to revisit the regional reps. maybe even the regions themselves. See who is still playing and interested in being a rep. And who will commit to truly organizing their regions and being cooperative toward 1 goal.
      US Masters Representative for the Midwest
      Beast Herds Army Support (retired)

buckeyebattles.com
    • I remember a GT in Texas before they went to the dark side. It was essentially two tournaments playing side by side, except mixed together. Each player marked on thier registration if they wanted to play casual or competitive. Then During the GT the two groups had separate scoring columns to create two different gt results. One for the casuals, and one for the cut-throats. There was some intermingling in the lower\middle scores, but the tops stayed separate.