New start of a old topic -usa masters

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Ha....waaghpaca up in Wisconsin did that one year as well. It was due to the End Times crap. Those that wanted to play fluffy, were not allowed to win best overall for the GT. It was a nice idea to give those that wanted to get some friendly games in without having to deal with all that filth

My memory is a bit joggy (it’s been a long time ago)...but there were rumblings among the fluffy bunnies that guys still brought broken as hell lists to the fluffy version of the tournament.
    • The Matt wrote:

Yes if you didn't sign up as hardcore you couldn't win the hardcore tournament. I'm sure they did Ferg, just so they can be named the best fluffy bunny. Maybe the secondary tournament could be scored differently, with an emphasis on sport paint and comp and less points for wins, and no best general.
      We have each player hand out a "favorite opponent" pin + raffle ticket at the end of the 5 game tournament. These pins I think are the treasured crown jewels of the event. The tickets aim to encourage sportsmanship.
      Best general gets a metal (which is also a bottle opener), best sport gets tons of pins and the tickets, and a more prestigious metal (which of course is still a bottle opener).
    • Oh yeah I heard of something like that. I came up with a raffle based tournament with tickets given for winning, tying and losing. For losing your wizard to miscast first in the round, and other unfortunate event. And of course for sports and painting all with different amounts of tickets based on how much prizes you have. Then in the end you just draw tickets for prizes, with maybe overall getting something small or a plaque. So even the guys in the middle and bottom have a chance to win stuff.
    • Truckeye wrote:

I think @billr suggested maybe a 3 day event with day 1 being a qualifier, and day 2 and 3 being a side by side GT so if someone didnt want to be in masters they had a GT and if someone didnt qualify, they still had a GT.
      Right.

No regions, politics, jockying, free-passes, favoritism, nepotism, cronyism or holier-than-thou bullsh*t. If you want to prove your mettle, you just show up and play. Three rounds on first day and top 32 qualify for a five round championship while the rest play in an adjunct event. Fun for all.
      Huge thanks to T9A team!
    • iI think @billr suggested maybe a 3 day event with day 1 being a qualifier, and day 2 and 3 being a side by side GT so if someone didnt want to be in masters they had a GT and if someone didnt qualify, they still had a GT.

Truckeye wrote:

really think this is the way to go given how spread out and dispersed the community is in North America.

Gives a lot of people the chance to play and really highlights their capability against a diverse crowd.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Im probably overstepping my bounds, but then again, this hasnt gained any ground in 2yrs. There are folks from every region coming to Buckeye Battles next week. Im going to try to get together with several of you/them to try to come up with ideas or guidlelines to get something rolling. I will bring back to this forum as much of the discussion as I can. There probably 20 or 25 people that deserve to be there, but if 9th Age has taught us anything its death by committee. :saint: So Im going to try to keep to to 10 or less people.

If you really want to be there, shoot me an email at Truckeye@aol

If you want to kill any idea in the world, get a committee working on it. Charles Kettering
      US Masters Representative for the Midwest
      Beast Herds Army Support (retired)

buckeyebattles.com
    • billr wrote:

Truckeye wrote:

I think @billr suggested maybe a 3 day event with day 1 being a qualifier, and day 2 and 3 being a side by side GT so if someone didnt want to be in masters they had a GT and if someone didnt qualify, they still had a GT.
      Right.
      No regions, politics, jockying, free-passes, favoritism, nepotism, cronyism or holier-than-thou bullsh*t. If you want to prove your mettle, you just show up and play. Three rounds on first day and top 32 qualify for a five round championship while the rest play in an adjunct event. Fun for all.
      @billr

I think you should take the top 24 people. And use the top 8 Warscore results -getting an automatic bid.

If someone plays in the qualifier and ends up qualifying, but has a bye they would then just give their 2nd slot (via qualifying) to the next person in line -be that 25th, 26th etc . . .

If there is ties (which there very well maybe) you could use warscore as a aggregate with highest overall warscore giving the edge. Then have Saturday and Sunday be two separate GTs.

Would love to hear what happens after @Truckeye and S1N is wrapped up.
      I type on mobile so my spelling mistakes can hide that English is my native tongue. :write: :HE: :KoE:

Evershade Gaming on YouTube
      youtube.com/channel/UCKjjkWnXanizMuTh5obkxpA

theforgottenturtle.com An Awesome Painting Blog
    • The group met at Buckeye and decided yes there is indeed interest and there are players from all regions (not defined) that would be willing to support and travel to Masters 2019. Then unexpectedly, it morphed into how to get this done and evolved into a committee. @MartyG volunteered to coordinate. He has experience running events and working with Cons for many years.

We decided to run with the players winning events. Likely every 20 players past 40 or 50 will get another person per event in. There will also be a Friday event to earn a spot. The number of spots dependent on how many open after the GT winners commit. There will also be a GT running side by side with the Masters. The GT will be players that are not interested in Masters and those that did not qualify Friday. The location has yet to be determined. Cheap travel, local support, and acceptable venue cost.

Meeting in 2 weeks to push the pile forward again.
      US Masters Representative for the Midwest
      Beast Herds Army Support (retired)

buckeyebattles.com
    • Truckeye wrote:

The group met at Buckeye and decided yes there is indeed interest and there are players from all regions (not defined) that would be willing to support and travel to Masters 2019. Then unexpectedly, it morphed into how to get this done and evolved into a committee. @MartyG volunteered to coordinate. He has experience running events and working with Cons for many years.

We decided to run with the players winning events. Likely every 20 players past 40 or 50 will get another person per event in. There will also be a Friday event to earn a spot. The number of spots dependent on how many open after the GT winners commit. There will also be a GT running side by side with the Masters. The GT will be players that are not interested in Masters and those that did not qualify Friday. The location has yet to be determined. Cheap travel, local support, and acceptable venue cost.

Meeting in 2 weeks to push the pile forward again.
      :homeage:

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger