Independent Mercenary States

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Independent Mercenary States

Mercenary States of the 9th Age 2.0

Goal: To provide rules for models from a former game system that at current does not have an Armybook.

Army Strengths & Army Weaknesses
      AS: Options, options, options and yes even more options (When gold is your primary concern, that allows you to buy allot of options, choices) - This a marked departure from the current state of the 9th Age where unit option have been reduced, removed and so forth. Diversity in army builds through what options you have taken with your characters that can alter the structure of the army allowing for some very unique builds.

Example
      Mercenary Dwarfs (15#, 510 pts)
      14 Dwarf Seeker Pirates, 460 pts = 14 * 30 (base cost 15 + Pirates 11 + Veteran Dwarfs 4) + Musician 20 + Standard Bearer 20
      1 Champion, 50 pts = (base cost 35 + Pirates 11 + Veteran Dwarfs 4)

and another from the same unit with different options

Mercenary Dwarfs (15#, 450 pts)
      14 Mercenary Dwarfs, 404 pts = 14 * 26 (base cost 15 + Vanguard 2 + Spear & Shield 3 + Crossbow (4+) 6) + Musician 20 + Standard Bearer 20
      1 Champion, 46 pts = (base cost 35 + Vanguard 2 + Spear & Shield 3 + Crossbow (4+) 6)

AW: No Hereditary spell, Loss of the model with "Keeper of Coin" can disrupt a major portions of the army. Hard limits on what units can be fielded. Veteran status unit are limited by Choice counts, and many of the more powerful units are Veteran or need to be upgraded to Veteran for them to gain access their special rules.

Keeper of Coin: One of a Kind. A Mercenary States Army must include a single model with this Universal Rule. Model counts as Battle Standard Bearer. At the end of any phase in which the Keeper of Coin is removed as a casualty or when the Keeper of Coin Breaks from Combat, all friendly units within range of the model’s "Rally Around the Flag" must immediately take a special Panic test at -1 Discipline that cannot benefit from Commanding Presence in place of the normal test when a friendly unit is destroyed. If a unit fails this test it becomes Disorganized and may take no further actions this turn. Units that are Disorganized will automatically Flee as Charge Reaction and must take a Discipline test at Movement Phase Step 2 until it is passed or the game ends. Any unit rolling double sixes for this Discipline test will immediately Flee towards the nearest table edge. They may be rallied as normal in the following turns. Units in Close Combat, Fleeing or Fearless do not have to test.

Designers Notes: I have been a player of that former games system since the late 90's and have both been an owner of a FLGS as well as providing extensive work with a follow-up independent project that produced an series of works when that former game company ceased its support of that army in its 7th and 8th Editions settings. I have been the lead coder for the Army Builder software dataset for the 9th Age as well as that former game system. I have used my understanding of points & rule interactions to draft this Armybook, attempting to create the entries included within this book. I have taken great length of mathing out the interactions while taking things from other factions to encompass the vast range of unit choices this army can field. While at the same time to make sure that things do not overtake in the terms of power/game changing design mechanics and so forth.

Key Concepts: This army must have a model with "Keeper of Coin", which acts as the army BSB, this model is normally an underpowered character with below average stats when compared to the more powerful combat choices. An alternative choice is available but at the expense of the ability to modify the Army Organization percentages. Again it's a choices. Add to that several alternate racial character choices which are basic mirrors of that races normal model, with a few minor exceptions. A wide range of Core unit choices with various option loadouts, several Special choices again with options that can alter their functions. Two army unique categories, where many of the unique units choices reside. Add to that many of the Unit upgrades account a portion of the points value toward some of these 2 categories reducing the available percentages. Example the Veteran Upgrade on Pikemen counts toward the Best Money Can Buy, if you further add to them an armour upgrade those points count toward the Mercenary Armoury & Legendary Curiosities section. Limits again are taken into account by restriction on how many of these unique units, options and the like are coded a well to prevent spamming. The only a portion of the Characters can access this army's special rules section (City-States) and are further limited by being unable to join a unit when a model as a different City-State. This is likewise how the non-human characters are treated exact they are further restricted into being unable to provide leadership when in units not of the same race as their own.

Summary: I hope that as you take the time to review this work you will find that I have attempted to take all consideration into account for points/rules/options. I thank you for your time and look forward to your feedback. Also if you use the Armybuilder 3.x software I can show you how to access this Armybook from within its dataset.

So please, take some time DL the armybook give me some feedback, As I hope that others will look this work over and give me responses so that it can be made better.

But remember this book is about options, options and yet more options that leads to a diverse play style.
      EdSteiner

Tool Support - AB 3.x

Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war

Download the current Army Builder 3.x 2.0 Dataset EN

The post was edited 7 times, last by EdSteiner ().

• Well, I cannot officially say it is an Iron Crowns concept, but I am sure you can read between the lines. 8-) I would say it's more of a mercenary concept where gold is used to recruit from the various races and force orgs.
      EdSteiner

Tool Support - AB 3.x

• Could be a cool concept once the game is stable. Though I would find it hard to adapt to this game. Balance is the reason for everything, including killing fun builds. Merc allies like old 6th edition warhammer was a nightmare. I remember a friend who played wood elves took a cannon against me the first time I played a dragon... bad news bears for me. He guessed almost insanely perfect and rolled max wounds on dragon leaving my foot lord o take 40 bow shots. Was a fun game and I miss those battles.
    • Here is a sample force I have used at 4.5K

4500 Pts - Mercenary States Roster

Total Roster Cost: 4486

Captain (1#, 256 pts)
      1 Captain, 126 pts = (base cost 110 + Halberd 6 + Pistol (3+) 5 + Shield 5)
      1 Gilded Blade of Antinous, 45 pts
      1 Basalt Infusion, 35 pts
      1 City-State of Asti, 50 pts

Quartermaster (1#, 307 pts)
      1 Quartermaster, 137 pts = (base cost 110 + Pistol (3+) 8 + Plate Armour 15 + Shield 4)
      1 Cleansing Light , 20 pts
      1 Talisman of Shielding, 50 pts
      1 Paychest & Bodyguard, 100 pts

Guild Wizard (1#, 285 pts)
      1 Guild Wizard, 245 pts = (base cost 160 + Wizard Adept 75 + Light Armour 10) - Lore (Pyro)
      1 Talisman of the Void, 40 pts

Pikemen (29#, 377 pts)
      28 Pikemen, 316 pts = 28 * 12 (base cost 12) + Base Cost Adjustment -60 + Musician 20 + Standard Bearer 20
      1 Champion, 36 pts = (base cost 32 + Pistol (3+) 4)
      1 Legion Standard, 25 pts

Sellswords (20#, 410 pts)
      20 Sellswords, 410 pts = 20 * 20 (base cost 10 + Great Weapon 6 + Javelin (4+) 2 + Light Armour 2) + Base Cost Adjustment -10 + Musician 20

Hired Duelists (10#, 150 pts)
      10 Skirmished Hired Duelists, 150 pts = 10 * 13 (base cost 6 + Skirmisher 1 + Pistol (4+) 4 + Buckler 2) + Base Cost Adjustment 20

Crossbowmen (15#, 260 pts)
      15 Crossbowmen, 260 pts = 15 * 14 (base cost 14) + Base Cost Adjustment 10 + Musician 20 + Standard Bearer 20

Freelancers (10#, 488 pts)
      9 Freelancers, 382 pts = 9 * 38 (base cost 32 + Lance 2 + Shield 4) + Musician 20 + Standard Bearer 20
      1 Champion, 56 pts = (base cost 52 + Lance 2 + Shield 2)
      1 Banner of Speed, 50 pts

Stradiots (10#, 170 pts)
      10 Dismounted Stradiots, 170 pts = 10 * 14 (base cost 14) + Base Cost Adjustment 30

Coin Keeper's Bodyguard (26#, 474 pts)
      25 Coin Keeper's Bodyguard, 435 pts = 25 * 19 (base cost 16 + Plate Armour 3) + Base Cost Adjustment -80 + Musician Mus + Standard Bearer 20
      1 Champion, 39 pts = (base cost 36 + Plate Armour 3)

Stradiots (6#, 230 pts)
      6 Mounted Stradiots, 230 pts = 6 * 30 (base cost 14 + Horse 8 + Light Lance 2 + Light Crossbow (4+) 2 + Light Armour 2 + Shield 2) + Base Cost Adjustment 30 + Musician 20

Mercenary Ogres (3#, 354 pts)
      3 Mercenary Veteran Ogres, 354 pts = 3 * 118 (base cost 60 + Veteran Ogres 50 + Paired Weapons 8) + Base Cost Adjustment -20 + Standard Bearer 20

Torsion Artillery (4#, 160 pts)
      4 Scorpio-Ballista, 160 pts + Scorpio-Ballista (4+) x3 160

Torsion Artillery (1#, 90 pts)
      1 Ballista, 90 pts = (Ballista (4+) 90)

Black Powder Artillery (1#, 220 pts)
      1 Ribault, 220 pts = (Ribault (4+) 220)

Black Powder Artillery (1#, 255 pts)
      1 Cannon, 255 pts = (Cannon (4+) 255)

Validation Report:
      Competition Level: Non-Tournament Play; Game: 9th Age; Core Rules Version: 0.202.0; Data File Version: 2.18
      Roster satisfies all enforced validation rules

Composition Report:
      Points of Characters: 848 (0 - 1575)
      Points of Core: 1685 (1125 - Unlimited)
      Points of Special: 1228 (0 - 0)
      Points of Best Money Can Buy: 354 (0 - 1125)
      Points of Mercenary Armoury & Legendary Curiosities: 725 (0 - 1125)
      EdSteiner

Tool Support - AB 3.x

• I updated the document to reflect the text changes to some rules from the 0.203.0 update. The book link has been updated in the first post. Please DL and again comment, criticism, critics welcome.
      As we have been informed that no special forum will be crated for us and that No Official effort will be forth coming for the next "FEW YEARS" that is the term used. We need as a community to forge ahead and work with the Homebrew area on our own. I strong urge all of you to also avoid using the term "Iron Crowns" as they also seem to get a tad miffed at its use.

So again welcome to the Mercenary States for the 9th Age.

Your fellow Mercenary in Arms
      EdSteiner

Tool Support - AB 3.x

• I have been learning how to code for LaTeX and thanks to all of the staff whom gave me help/code concepts and feedback. Here is the LaTeX version of

Independent Mercenary States - LaTeX layout

Thanks to all who have given me feedback and support. Enjoy
      EdSteiner

Tool Support - AB 3.x

The post was edited 3 times, last by EdSteiner ().

• It is not connected to that project this was my independent work predating the Grand Company's project starting. However several of the concepts have been taken from this work. I only posted it because I have been self-learning LaTeX and wanted to show off the work. So enjoy and feedback welcome.
      EdSteiner

Tool Support - AB 3.x

• It's a very nice Army Book imho, which has the great advantage to account for most regiments of renown of old ! I do follow quite closely the Grand Companies thread as well, and while it is being developed I believe this one to be a very good placeholder in the time being.

Tho the fact a lot of models belongs to two or more categories is kinda bothersome and limits the choice of options in the end.

Thank you good sir for your work.
    • I know but it provides the balance so you can not build all the tough as nails units using the special rules choices of the old RoR's. I have math-hammered the raw numbers over and over to get it as close to being a stable and parity with the Official Force Orgs.

Thierno wrote:

It's a very nice Army Book imho, which has the great advantage to account for most regiments of renown of old ! I do follow quite closely the Grand Companies thread as well, and while it is being developed I believe this one to be a very good placeholder in the time being.

Tho the fact a lot of models belongs to two or more categories is kinda bothersome and limits the choice of options in the end.

Thank you good sir for your work.
      Thank you for your feedback.
      EdSteiner

Tool Support - AB 3.x

The post was edited 1 time, last by EdSteiner ().

• I want to take a few moments to note that this force org book has not had any price adjustments since 18DEC18 which means that some cost adjustments may be due to to meta changes that have occurred since it publication date.

Thank you again for your interest.
      EdSteiner

Tool Support - AB 3.x