Hetmanate of Ukray (Kislev for T9A)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Hetmanate of Ukray (Kislev for T9A)

Dear friends and T9A community members,

allow me to introduce you to the result of several months effort of our team, where we decided to pickup the 1.3 abandoned book formerly known of Tsardom of Volskaya. We believe that "Kislev" with its iconic units like winged lancers, steppe raiders and cossacks deserves its place in T9A world. As an inspiration we took the real world Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (or Rzecpospolita :) together with Ukraine cossacks attempts on hetmanate state, which existed for a short period of time. We added the fantasy element of ice and tundra nature.

The people of Ukray live in the north of the world near the Jotunn Mountains and are used to harsh climate conditions and constant warfare against marauding Orcs, Ogres, Chaos warbands, monsters and whatever inhabitants live there. Due to relative isolation from the Empire, they developed their own culture, architecture and combat style, but are still sworn enemies to Chaos. The land has 3 major cities - Danzc (inspired by Gdansk in Poland), which is the main port and trade hub, Kiow (inspired by Kiev in Ukraine, which is a centre of military and religion and Novgard (inspired by Novgorod in Russia, where the expert hunters, ice queen and other more exotic elements of the army live).

Link to the map:
      dropbox.com/s/yx5ckizuw0xiyh6/t9a%20map2.png?dl=0

Link to the Armybook:
      dropbox.com/s/s1wucb8dp04dcl5/…%202.0%200.204.1.pdf?dl=0

Some words to the Armybook.
      The goal of this book is to create an army somewhere between Empire and Sylvan Elves, which will reward the tactical play and cooperation between army elements. The army is mostly about infantry and cavalry with good ambush and scout support and mobile gun platforms providing cover as in real Cossack army (they were very inspired by the Hussite wagon tactics 3 centuries sooner). Monsters, Large Infantry and Large Cavalry present just a support element to the army.

We would be very happy if you will help us playtest this book, point us on errors or wrong rules interactions or other things that need to be corrected. Our goal is to create a book, which will be in line with the official Armybooks as much as possible so It will offer you a good tactical experience. But for that we need your help.

Thank you very much for your feedback and we hope you will like the book at least the same, like we do :)

P.S: The book, the names, point costs, rules can be still changed, we plan to support this book as long as T9A project will go.

Update:

What minis are suitable?

Now few words on the miniatures you can use. Even that GW models are OOP, there are similar models available from other supplier.

Basically, two main companies which offer more cohesive range are The Assault Group and Foundry.

From The Assault Group the interesting ranges are:
      Cossacks and 17th Century Polish
      From the Foundry the interesting ranges are:
      Cossacks and Polish

Regarding the unit choices, miniatures which I know and would consider:

Cossacks:
      Display Spoiler

GW Kossars

Khador Kossite Woodsmen

Pancerni:
      Display Spoiler

GW Winged Lancers

The Assault Group Pancerni:

Steppe Horsemen
      Display Spoiler

GW Horse Archers

The Assault Group Tatar Cavalry

Fireforge Mongol Cavalry

Winged Hussars
      Display Spoiler

GW Gryphon Legion

Warlord Games Winged Hussars

The Assault Group Hussars

Wandering Ogres
      Display Spoiler

Scibor Cossack Ogres

Werewoolf Cossack Ogre

Werewoolf Lechistan Ogre Noble

Werewoolf Lechistan Ogre

Ursine Knights
      Display Spoiler

Scibor Bears

Shieldwolf Bears

Werewoolf Gryphus Winged Hussars

Mierce Miniatures Kraan

The post was edited 11 times, last by SVKBaki ().

• i love Kislev. and i like this book.
      if i can help i'm going to be very happy.

i read very quickly the army book because i wanted just see the "wow effect".
      some units are very good, some rules are very caratteristic and full of flavour.

Battle Veterans (harnessed?) is a very good rules for the flavour, still have always LD 6 is very very stong rule in my opinion.

yeah, registered cossacks is not a powerfull name
    • Hello,

thanks for your kind words, I am happy that you like it.

kangur wrote:

Like it much , after first view i can say Frostblade with current price is to good . Registered cossacs ? Please change the name and consider price drop as the are bit expensive and with upgade even to expensive. I like much rest of rules :)
      The Frostblade on the first draft was similar to EoS Light of Sonnstahl, but because you need to hit and then need to wound, although the effect is pretty strong, you need to pass the dice :)

Registered Cossacks are historically accurate name, although I agree, that it is nothing spectacular, these Cossacks were enlisted in the army, had the training, access to better equipment and formed the elite of the force. Regular Cossacks were warriors but not military organized.
      There didn´t exist any Cossack Guard or other fancy names :). But if you have idea on better name, which would be also historically accurate, feel free to share :)

Mercenary Armies wrote:

i love Kislev. and i like this book.
      if i can help i'm going to be very happy.

i read very quickly the army book because i wanted just see the "wow effect".
      some units are very good, some rules are very caratteristic and full of flavour.

Battle Veterans (harnessed?) is a very good rules for the flavour, still have always LD 6 is very very stong rule in my opinion.

yeah, registered cossacks is not a powerfull name
      The Battle Hardened rule is to help stay in combat, as we generally have lower armour, 6 on 2 dice is easily failed :) But if we see in the playtesting that it is too much, we can rethink it for sure.

It would be awesome if you will try the army with use and with sharing battle reports we can improve.

Due to oop character of lots of GW models, I will be compiling an article with suggestions what alternative models you can use for this army.

Stay tuned ;)
    • My first game with this book! i played against Vampire Covenant.
      secondary objectives Secure Target

My list:
      [CHARACTERS]
      438 - Hetman, General, Plate Armour, Paired Weapons, Cloak of Eternal Winter, Hero's Heart, Tundra's Kiss, Polar Bear
      238 - Essaul, BsB, Destiny's Call, Paired Weapons
      950 - Ice Queen, Wizard Master (Shammanism), Talisman of the void, Crystall ball, Ice Dragon
      335 - Ice Queen, Adept (Witchcraft), Light armour, Meteoric Staff

[CORE]
      270 - 10x Steppe Raiders
      270 - 10x Steppe Raiders
      389 - 29x Cossack, Full Command, Bow, GreatWeapon

[SPECIAL]
      325 - 6x Winged Hussars, SB, C, Winged Pennant
      325 - 3x Ursine Knights, SB, M
      450 - 20x Streltsi, SB, M, Banner of the sudden Blizzard

[TERROR FROM TUNDRA]
      100 - Flock of Hawks

[GUNPOWDER]
      200 - Tabor Wagon, cannon
      160 - Tabor Wagon, Volley Gun

Summary of the game
      We played only 4 turns, lack of more time :P i deployed all shooting and Dragon on my center-right flank, and my ursine, Hussars, and 1 steppe in the left one, to hunt them, thinking that they will try to go over my infantry... but, he decide to move all to the flank of my general :P so, i was forced to move a bit, to be able to shoot something.

That's not terrible, because our army is really mobile, kossack with quick to fire, tabor can move and shoot, the only ones with problems was streltsi, with a -2 hit when moving, but they manage to win my right flank killing all the skeletons that tryed to came.

The other one was a bit different, he advance with his big block of vampire in court of the damned, and a unit of 6 Ghasts and 6 Barrow Knights trying to flank.

i tried to kitte them moving forward my ursine knights with my general, thinking that in my magic phase i will make a magical movement, putting them behind the court of damned, and harrassing them in one big charge in turn 3, but... i failed with 5 dices, and my general becames a fantastic candy in front of the court, they charged at me, and killed my general. My dragon and Hussars killed his Ghasts in a glorious charge, but all my hussars dies...

at the end of turn 4, i was controlling one objective, and vampires the other one. and in Victory Points, i was winning 11-9, probably with 2 more turns, i will hunt them shooting with streltsi, cossacks and tabor wagons, but my dragon have only 2 wounds left (1000 pts) and was in combat with court of dammed, so, probably he will die. And with all his wizards alive, he probably will arise everything, so... maybe would be a lose.

Conclusions:
      I play every time Hussars, and i'm looking that they are really weak. I need to buff them with armour, or some additional protection, because if not, they die in 1st round of combat. On paper, he can put an extraordinary damage output, with 2att str 7, ag 7, ap 7 on charge, but at the end, we impact on 4+, so we do 4-5 wounds, against Ghasts, was only 1 less to hit me. and with only two, he managed to kill my 5 Hussars ;(

Steppe raiders are awesome anti-chaff, great mobility, and great at shooting. But very expensive to use as redirectors (and i do a lot of times)

Streltsi, i think they're really good. i put the hard target banner + 2 Tabor Wagon near to give him -3 to hit, but maybe is an overkill, i will put the banner on another place, maybe Hussars to give him a little more protection.

Cossack... our core, we love this useless pieces of meat with great axes! jajaja

And the best... Battle Hardened, is our best and fluffy rule. Someone can think is OP, but i had played 11 games till now, and i Fail a lot of Break Test with this rule. It's true, that when it works, our enemies will hate us, but none of my collegues think that is broken.

And, you need to remember, that our army is paper thin, we don't save anything. In a good round of combat, they can kill all our troops :thumbdown:

I think we have a lot of work to do yet... But as start, is the best think we could do! we need a help of more people playing, because i'm just a n00b old player that love this army :saint:
      Kislev army thread, We need You!
      New Army book Hetmanate of Ukray
    • i used Flock of hawks in 3 games, and his low movement sometimes is a bit tricky, because our army moves faster (unless u play only infantry)
      Those games i used them as a redirector for my ursine bears, to protect them a bit

For hussars, totally agree, AS 3 is a low protection, but is what we want for our army, our weakness is low protection, so we are trying to keep it like this. I thought ones to give them light troops, to win more mobility, like sylvan cavalry, to move, and dodge enemy until we want to charge...

but, we need to found a way to protect them better, like our hereditary spell, or other spells / equipment

For names, if anyone found or think in a good name for some unit, please share it! we're not closed at all :P
    • kangur wrote:

Flock of hawks I would change for unit more like harpies or furies . Weaker resilince with 20'' march rate but with S3 and more Initiative.
      For me Hussars also looks weak . Great impact hits but against parry units or next round of combat 3+ AS doesn't look good :whistling:

I looked at hawks and indeed they are very slow. I guess we should increase it to at least to 8/16 like standard flying units have. Will be addressed in hotfix.
    • Hey, great work with this AB, I think about play some games with it.
      However, during reading I find some things that can be corrected (few are only cosmetic change, to the same format like in official books, or to be more cleary)
      1. Battle Hardened - change unit's Ds on model's Ds (cosmetic change).
      2. Frostbite - add unsaved wound (without "unsaved" we take the roll to wound and ignore roll on AS and egis/Regeneration)
      3. Tyrant's Hand - don't have duration of shaken (each source of shaken have own description about duration of effects)
      4. Tundra's Kiss - add that effect only on CC atacks (now may be use agains shoting)
      5. Seven League Boots - change "cannot join any unit" to can't jound and be joined any unit" (now character with SLB can't join unit, but other character can join to him).
      6. Hetman's Finset Brew - IMO just "Before roll on first turn ((at the beginning of step 8 of the Deployment Phase Sequence)." without "One Use Only. ..." should be enought (like Org of Foreboding in WDG).
      7. Icon of Gun Powder - maybe use 2 pistols icon rather than cannonballs icon.
      8. Plastoons (Seasoned Hunters) - change "Bow attacka" on "Shoting Attacks with Bow" (cosmetic change).
      9. Winged Hussars (Long Lance) - IMO "Infantry cannot use Long Lances." it's unnecessary.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Keller ().

• Keller wrote:

Hey, great work with this AB, I think about play some games with it.
      However, during reading I find some things that can be corrected (few are only cosmetic change, to the same format like in official books, or to be more cleary)
      1. Battle Hardened - change unit's Ds on model's Ds (cosmetic change).
      2. Frostbite - add unsaved wound (without "unsaved" we take the roll to wound and ignore roll on AS and egis/Regeneration)
      3. Tyrant's Hand - don't have duration of shaken (each source of shaken have own description about duration of effects)
      4. Tundra's Kiss - add that effect only on CC atacks (now may be use agains shoting)
      5. Seven League Boots - change "cannot join any unit" to can't jound and be joined any unit" (now character with SLB can't join unit, but other character can join to him).
      6. Hetman's Finset Brew - IMO just "Before roll on first turn ((at the beginning of step 8 of the Deployment Phase Sequence)." without "One Use Only. ..." should be enought (like Org of Foreboding in WDG).
      7. Icon of Gun Powder - maybe use 2 pistols icon rather than cannonballs icon.
      8. Plastoons (Seasoned Hunters) - change "Bow attacka" on "Shoting Attacks with Bow" (cosmetic change).
      9. Winged Hussars (Long Lance) - IMO "Infantry cannot use Long Lances." it's unnecessary.

very good inputs, thank you very much, I will do it in a hotfix during this week. (changing movement values of flock of hawks to 8"/16")

BTW is anybody familiar enough with the new rules 0.204? Did any wording, rules changed so it can affect our army? So far had a pretty busy times at work so I was unable to read it much.

I am very happy for every feedback, Kislev will always have its place in t9a world.
    • Hi!

I didn't see any important change or rewording in 0.204, so i think we can continue our work :)
      I will play next saturday against dread Elves, so i will share my list (possible list, because i was working on it)

HETMANATE Of UKRAY 4496pts

CHARACTER
      428- Hetman - Vladimir Pandinsky, General, Plate Armour, Paired Weapons, Hero’s Heart, Cloack of Eternal Winter, Polar Bear
      900- Witch, Wizard Master (Shammanism),Talisman of the void, Ice Dragon
      240- Esaul, BsB, Destiny’s Call, Great Weapon

CORE
      244 - 9x Steppe Horsemen
      244 - 9x Steppe Horsemen
      430 - 10x Pancerni, FCG, Winged Pennant

SPECIAL
      365 - 6x Hussar, SB, C, Banner of the sudden Blizzard
      325 - 3x Ursine Knights, SB, M
      812 - 39x Registered Cossacks, SB, M, Heavy armour, Rending Banner

GUNPOWDER
      308 - 18x Streltsi
      200 - Tabor Wagon (Artillery cannon)

I had changed a lot of things from my previous list, because i want to try Pancerni and Registered Cossacks again. But before playing, i thing that registered cossacks are a little bit expensive jajaja i only equipe them with heavy armour, to give some survaibility, but i cannot pay a better weapon nor pistols at all. 800 pts for a unit of meat is really expensive :)

i will try to stay back with streltsi, tabor wagon and registered cossacks doing some shots, and the cavalry and ursine moving around to flank if i can...

The dragon is because i love it, and i will try to play with it
    • The first thread was updated with new version of armybook with implemented changes to Flock of Hawks and few rewordings according to Keller´s suggestions.

Feel free to check the book.

And I also added additional miniature suggestions to post #1.

Enjoy ;)

Thank you all for your feedback.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SVKBaki ().