T9A Contests

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

    Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

    • That will work! I believe it is paramount that we arrange so that the contest is well visible on the forum itself (even if in Announcements rather than its own little Contest forum). I will spread the word on various other sites and to choice artists I know, as per usual spam round.

      WotDG vs. DL, noted! Will be back with a draft in the coming days.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

    • Karak Norn Clansman wrote:

      That will work! I believe it is paramount that we arrange so that the contest is well visible on the forum itself (even if in Announcements rather than its own little Contest forum). I will spread the word on various other sites and to choice artists I know, as per usual spam round.

      WotDG vs. DE, noted! Will be back with a draft in the coming days.
      DE or DL?
    • Typo above: Daemon Legions.

      Besides, we could extend the deadline for this WotDG versus DL to all of 8 weeks by beginning it at the start of July. It could backfire, but it could also work well by allowing some meticulous artists to come up with more polished end results or just better finding the time during a summer of holiday and time spent outside with friends and family. Thoughts?

      The post was edited 3 times, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

    • I think it should be warriors vs anything else including DL.

      Reason being DL is still along way from the finish line and people won’t know what to draw (unless you want to theme it that way if your doing a lot of DL release stuff Henry?)

      I would also prefer some kind of battle scene

      I’d in the future we do this we could do artwork or cities or landscapes but that’s for another day
      http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Fantasy Dwarf website on the net, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, balls to ships!

      Advisory Board

      Head of Public Relations

      Bugmans Brewery Owner (Dwarven Holds)

    • Warriors versus others, noted. Should be a solid theme!

      Also, are you OK with going for an 8 week deadline by launching it July the 1st or thereabout since we're timing it for the Scroll? Unusually long, but it's summer so people are bound to be out enjoying themselves with friends and family a lot, meaning most interested entrants in practice have fewer weeks available, but better chance to find enough time during those 8 weeks.

      Also, are you OK with setting up a separate subforum or forum in the Announcement section, with Contest account as described earlier? if it doesn't work out it should be simple work to archive the contest threads and remove the forum section. Let's be open for experimentation, a failure is just an honest attempt at the end of the day. No such thing as loss of face.
    • Was thinking the same about daemons, we need them to be released before people will know what to draw.

      Unfortunate, as it is true we lack general material along that line (Daemons vs something else).
      I love the one of Ogres vs Daemons that i saw somewhere, i believe it is meant to represent Tsanas ?

      Warriors vs something is great imho.

      Don't forget to stress that this could be any type of warriors, like, in the WotDG book, five different sources of Warriors are mentioned :
      1) Wasteland warriors (ie., Vetian/Augean)
      2) Silexian warriors (mostly from Native American ethnicity)
      3) Taphrian warriors/barbarians (mostly desert nomads but could be joined by renegade Koghian, etc.)
      4) Virentian warriors/barbarians (should look Tupi/Aztec)
      5) warriors created in random « places of power » in the heart of other nations

      Also, it is well explained in the book that the beasts named « Karkadan » can actually mean any kind of giant lions, raptors, etc.
      As well, there are Warrior Dwarves, Saurians, etc. mentioned in the book.

      So people should not be afraid to draw really anything, just be a maximum creative so that we can better depart from the GW legacy.


      I personally would be excited to see Koghi vs desert Warriors :D
      I might even try to draw « something » myself ^^
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • Excellent input, Ghiznuk! I've not yet dug deep into the 9th Age material and so was thinking about asking people in the know about exactly these kind of things. It'll be necessary before each contest, to leave hooks out to hopefully pull some artists into styles and innovative takes that are more 9th Age's own world and voice. You struck preemptively in the WotDG versus others case. Much appreciated!
    • Well, if you look at any one of the 16 official armies, what « brand » of Warriors are they most likely to fight ?

      1. Beast Herds : any
      2. Dæmons : any
      3. Dread Elves : Silexian or Wasteland – Åskland
      4. Dwarven Holds : Wasteland or « inner » Warriors
      5. Empire : Wasteland
      6. Highborn : any
      7. Infernal Dwarves : Wasteland
      8. Equitaine : Wasteland – Åskland
      9. Ogres : Wasteland
      10. Orcs : any
      11. Saurian : Virentian
      12. Sylvan Elves : « inner » Warriors
      13. Undead Dynasties : Taphrian (or Wasteland, if Vetian/Augean Barrow/Terracotta Dynasty)
      14. Vampires : any
      15. Vermin : any
      16. Warriors themselves : any !!
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • Bugman wrote:

      Reason being DL is still along way from the finish line and people won’t know what to draw (unless you want to theme it that way if your doing a lot of DL release stuff Henry?)
      Think of the possibilities though. An artist giving free license to come up with anything for DL!

      Also if the submissions are really good........slide those over to your company showcase area and see if any company might be interested in sculpting some.

      That is a possible brownie point for the project giving ideas for minis to your supporting companies.
    • @Randdogs: Indded, it could be a great opportunity for some novel designs. A scattershot of creativity, and then pick and choose.

      Given the various people who uploaded painted army pictures wrongly to the contest gallery, and rightly to the test round gallery, there might be interest in a painting/modelling competition. While I would love to run as many art contests as possible in a long row, it would predictably lead to saturation and tiredness. CDO mixes its kinds of contests for the most part.

      How about throwing a BSB competition a small while after the Art Contest is over? No restrictions on base* and after that we can either run Art Contest II or a writing competition. I'm thinking people don't need more than 1 or 1½ month's deadline for painting up a BSB. What do you think?

      Warcolours has promised to sponsor a painting competition on T9A: The owner already does on CDO, and T9A is much bigger, so better exposure.

      Also, in case anyone have doubts over the frequent edits to the ACI first post, know that this was planned and expected. The premier is a good occasion to iron out bumps, polish and get everything in line with T9A site and practices. Following contests won't need this kind of updating, because the groundwork has already been laid and it'll be much a case of copy-paste. We'll tinker and get it right, and then run smoothly. I'll gladly handle a good number of contests for a while in cooperation with you, the team, and hope to leave over ready-made templates so that anyone can just follow simple instructions and run a competition: Make it a standing feature.

      Also, as to next Art Contest (if you want more; I think you will once entries drops in), any wish for a theme? If possible, I'd like to make Koghi or some other canon Taphrian faction the theme for the third AC to reward the energetic homebrew brainstorming, but anything goes with the second one, including Åsklanders, Daemons, beset expedition, versus, whatever you like.

      * Meaning we won't object to incorrect base measurements, round or hexagonal bases or display bases - we've been over this on CDO, and the conclusion after all is said and done is that restricting for sake of fairness or to promote a correct army book format for bases is in the end unwelcome and only serves to discourage some entrants, while most will keep it army book legal anyway. Interest is not in getting the correct millimeter bases, but in getting people to paint and have fun and create some astonishing creative pieces. You can even get rows and angry people quitting forums over base restrictions, according to the archives.

      The post was edited 5 times, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

    • I'd love to see some Taphrian action, but shouldn't we focus on the already officially existing armies ?
      Let's do at least one or two such contest for stuff people already know, before getting into the more exotic and uncharted parts of the world.

      Since next year will see the release of Dread Elves and Infernal Dwarves books, maybe we should focus on those factions instead ?
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • Karak Norn Clansman wrote:

      @Randdogs: Indded, it could be a great opportunity for some novel designs. A scattershot of creativity, and then pick and choose.

      Given the various people who uploaded painted army pictures wrongly to the contest gallery, and rightly to the test round gallery, there might be interest in a painting/modelling competition. While I would love to run as many art contests as possible in a long row, it would predictably lead to saturation and tiredness. CDO mixes its kinds of contests for the most part.

      How about throwing a BSB competition a small while after the Art Contest is over? No restrictions on base* and after that we can either run Art Contest II or a writing competition. I'm thinking people don't need more than 1 or 1½ month's deadline for painting up a BSB. What do you think?

      Warcolours has promised to sponsor a painting competition on T9A: The owner already does on CDO, and T9A is much bigger, so better exposure.

      Also, in case anyone have doubts over the frequent edits to the ACI first post, know that this was planned and expected. The premier is a good occasion to iron out bumps, polish and get everything in line with T9A site and practices. Following contests won't need this kind of updating, because the groundwork has already been laid and it'll be much a case of copy-paste. We'll tinker and get it right, and then run smoothly. I'll gladly handle a good number of contests for a while in cooperation with you, the team, and hope to leave over ready-made templates so that anyone can just follow simple instructions and run a competition: Make it a standing feature.

      Also, as to next Art Contest (if you want more; I think you will once entries drops in), any wish for a theme? If possible, I'd like to make Koghi or some other canon Taphrian faction the theme for the third AC to reward the energetic homebrew brainstorming, but anything goes with the second one, including Åsklanders, Daemons, beset expedition, versus, whatever you like.

      * Meaning we won't object to incorrect base measurements, round or hexagonal bases or display bases - we've been over this on CDO, and the conclusion after all is said and done is that restricting for sake of fairness or to promote a correct army book format for bases is in the end unwelcome and only serves to discourage some entrants, while most will keep it army book legal anyway. Interest is not in getting the correct millimeter bases, but in getting people to paint and have fun and create some astonishing creative pieces. You can even get rows and angry people quitting forums over base restrictions, according to the archives.
      What about a Home brew painting competition? Let's people in home brew model and paint a model/unit entry.
    • @Ghiznuk: All great points. We'll get to them in due time, and try to run in tandem with army books to come.

      @Randdogs: I'd love to see that happen down the line! To strike outside the box and dare something new is always fun.

      @tiny: You can unpin Art Contest I now. Just a kind reminder.


      Alright, the most time-consuming bits of release prep are done and I'll have a little spare time ahead again.

      Art Contest I is now under the belt. I want to thank everybody who helped out, whether it be with fundamental technical knowhow (tiny), translating and spreading among French-speaking fantasy artists and T9A member (Ghiznuk), donated prizes or helping announce the contest in various places. Good job!

      Let's talk about next contest, stuff to change/include based upon the pilot run. I'll have to be brief and get back to work, so if you could please discuss some issues and decide I'll whip up a contest banner and write a draft soon enough.

      First, some practical things for future competitions:

      Squigkikka wrote:

      Showing the total points score of each contribution is a terrible idea, I've got to say.
      This is a thing with the contest software. I guess it's not possible to tweak, pray tell, @tiny?

      Another odd thing was that entering the contest was done through the public gallery. One would think it would be done hidden or anonymously through the gallery feature. Not optimal, but something we can live with.

      T9A's contest software turned out highly useful when handling the contest and getting unexpectedly busy around the time most of the work is done (voting & winners announcement) when doing it manually. So there is clearly value in the automatic software, but it certainly isn't indispensable.

      So, do we stick to the contest software knowing these warts?

      And who should announce what where as announcement and voting and winners roll out? Outreach can be a problem on a big site like T9A. Having this all set down in a handy little list can let the contest organizer poke all the relevant people at the right time, putting that matter solely on his shoulders.

      __________________

      Next, what contest to come? I'll volunteer to run it obviously.

      Running art contests back-to-back will probably get tiresome and saturating. If T9A want to push art competitions (which it has good reasons to do, artwork is nothing short of crucial) then we could have every second contest be an art competition, or at a stretch every third. Maybe fluctuate sometimes. I'd propose every second and see how it pans out.

      As such, we could run a miniature painting competition to get wider attention and attendance. Many will want it based upon the many nice miniature entries which had to be deleted from ACI, and it may help cement the sticky-contests in General Discussion as a standing feature which people check out.

      Random proposal of theme to get the ball rolling: Paint a Battle Standard Bearer. Please come up with other ideas.

      We could also keep the deadline for entering down to 4 or 5 weeks if we want to get to the next art contest (Infernal Dwarves?) quite soon.

      But you decide. I'll whip up a draft of whatever you settle upon. :)

      Cheers
    • Well, waiting for more official fluff to be released, I realized there are two things I'd still like to work out on the WotDG book.
      (well, three, actually)

      1. The portrait of Kuulima was excellent. It was really a great idea. But it was 80% out of topic.
      Could we imagine a contest for drawing a portrait of each of the Dark Gods and Father Chaos ?
      Maybe a bit limited in scope, though
      Could be widened by making it emblems of the Dark Gods, and maybe champions of every god… ?

      2. A lot of the stories in the WotDG army book do not have a corresponding illustration.
      For example, we don't have Anaba, we don't have lord Ghul (the very beautiful pic that goes with his story is actually a champion of Nukuja…), we don't have the Nukuja knights fighting the Dread Elves and plucking their eyes, we don't have Ilarion fighting the Wretched Beasts or taken in custody by Shiva in her camp, we don't have the window in the sky after the Battle shrine got activated, we don't have the Feldrak fighting the dragon, we don't have even a drawing of Lukas the sorcerer (there is a drawing of a sorcerer, but it does not correspond to the description in the text)…
      Maybe we do scenes of the WotDG army book ?
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • Alternatively, why not to come back on the other factions whose fluff has already been released ?
      For example, « Sylvan Elves fighting others », or « Undying Dynasties fighting others » (with an emphasis on the Barrow Legion and Terracotta Army, that haven't got any illustration so far).

      I like the theme of « fighting others » because it allows people to draw as yet uncovered factions, while still focussing on the ones already released.
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa