T9A in Poland

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• albo_albo wrote:

Doesn't matter how many players we have now, the worst case is that there are only few new players and almost none young. So for current moment there are many players but mainly old people :) (majority +25? +30? )

I tried to combine in Krakow some tournaments AoS and T9A as I assume that part of people can play both (totally different games). Either quick skirmish either long complex strategic battlefield. Unfortunately by some individuals on both sides and unecessary hate, everything collapsed. Why I wanted to do so? As AoS is promoted by GW and stores, and sooner or later, it will get much more young players than T9A. While combining, part of these players would play also T9A. So imo this can be the way how to increase the number of players in your local community.
      Well, we plan to test new version of AoS, maybe it will be worth to learn a new language to communicate with younger players.

Twierdza Wrocław / Poland
    • @SkavenInAZ talked about that in his videos @blaesus

He talked about taking some of his extra models and making them into AoS so he can play that to engage and get to know other players so that they can see what T9A is about.

Its about engaging players and to do that you often have to build relationships - which often means going over to their game first.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• kisanis wrote:

@SkavenInAZ talked about that in his videos @blaesus

He talked about taking some of his extra models and making them into AoS so he can play that to engage and get to know other players so that they can see what T9A is about.

Its about engaging players and to do that you often have to build relationships - which often means going over to their game first.
      Let's be honest gentleman - in the past, we were playing a living game. Producer was not supporting events but was creating rules and a lot of miniatures - a lot of kids and youngsters wanted to be one of "us".
      Now it is our community that has to step forward and show others that we can play what they play and we have much more to offer! - w/o our engagement T9A will die. There is less and less of us... like common demographic problem - a lot of old players, almost no young ones. We are dying (in some cases really!- last year we lost a good player :/ ) - most often our friends are moving to their new family responsibilities.

• That's an interesting take, a "living game." I think T9A is a "living game" for sure, but what we don't have is a corporate juggernaut that is pushing it's model sales to give us the extra boost. I think that if this game is going to flourish, or survive, it's going to have to be on the backs of a proactive community. That takes time and initiative and dedication. I have some good ideas from this thread and will push forward in my corner of the world.

But I love hearing the success stories that others are having, especially with the propensity toward the negative that is common on this website. I've actually met people in a LGS in NYC that asked what game I was playing, I explained it was T9A and their response was, oh yeah, I went to the website to check it out but the overwhelming negative comments convinced me to move on to something else. I think the website negatively is actually hurting our growth potential. On the plus side, that dude joined the NYC FB group and is now enjoying that T9A group.
    • sometimes this forum is worse than whineseer in its heyday.

The copious negative articles at the top of the thread hurts visability - which is why I I'm fully behind any website change that puts the forum aside so that it isn't the first thing someone sees.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• kisanis wrote:

sometimes this forum is worse than whineseer in its heyday.

The copious negative articles at the top of the thread hurts visability - which is why I I'm fully behind any website change that puts the forum aside so that it isn't the first thing someone sees.
      Bu this is forum - topic was about how do we make it possible in Poland - we also shared obstacles and problems for future.

I would agree - the first page should show photos from World Cups - winning teams, photos with a lot of tables and players.

• @kisanis
      We don't have any cons that we regularly play at. We have a few traditional Masters (PTC, Warszawa, Kraków, Łódź, Wrocław, Gorzów, Śląsk) that feature at least 1 Master a year. Every year there are a few smaller communities that apply for a Master rank. We have a loose requirement checklist of what a Master is.

From my perspective, best way to engage your local clubs is hosting tournaments and playing team/pairs tournaments. I'm pretty sure it's the local club communities and country-wide competition that has driven the Polish square bases scene to where it is right now.

Oh, and don't be afraid to poach. @Abrasus was originally playing LOTR.
    • My city (Łódź - Lodz) story:
      FLGS are few, small, scarce and mostly profit driven to the degree of having close to no time to really drive the hobby scene. Its because of small revenue coming from hobby as a whole. One place which long time ago was wargaming place pretty much turned into full MtG driven route for example. Hence after some struggles players created a club Osmiornica Lodzka functioning since 2004 till this day. In its peak I'd say there were round 40 active players in playing actively wfb, 40k, fow, mordheim and some smaller systems all united in one club. Times changed, more games poped up, community got fractured, decentralized. Club is still go-to community in the city, owns terrains, tables and have signed agreement to use culture center halls every sunday for free which is usually first place where one can send new guy to talk with someone in the community since all players are welcome club-members or not.

Current situation:
      Numbers depend on how active you want player to be considered active and obviously some play more than one system: ~9 T9A players, ~8 Hobbit/Lotr, ~7 40k, ~5 X-Wing, ~5 AoS, ~5 FoW/Tanks (almost always same players), ~4 KoW, some small numbers of By Fire and Sword (mentioned already), Infinity, Mordheim, BloodBowl, Malifaux, some historicals and more obscure titles like Gaslands, Wolsung, Alien vs Predator etc. Interestingly only few players own Warmahordes in the city and no one plays but afaik in other places in the country it is alive and kicking. Mostly games are held in houses and few places like board-game friendly pubs, hobby-shop, culture center of the city across some packs of players.
      I'm talking about a city of 700k citizens. You have to evaluate it on your own whether its big or small community of wargamers. For Poland its not as dense as some other areas which one easily can call more active. Certainly we have now wide range of games to choose from and some dormant players who might be playing one system usually but still owns and can jump into other one for a while or longer.

Notable events regarding T9A:
      - Master tournament with long traditions of doubles. Last 4 years/editions i happily co-organized it and it regularly gathers ~70-80 players for some less competitive, chill-out games.
      - Some years ago in Lodz there was organized DMP (PTC - Polish Team Championship) and this event still hold the record for number of fantasy players playing one system in Poland (besides ETC) of over 300 players.
      There were some events oriented for promotion of the hobby like tournaments organized in shopping malls, some expositions, some gatherings in the like in more of public area of the city, at conventions (those more generic-fantasy-cons ones and board-game oriented as well). Effects are always small and there is always some big effort to make it work but it is somewhat agreed that it seems like best way to actually get completely new players in and it is actually doable despite what some might think.

Most already answered. Imho important thing to notice is the fact that Poland is not doing really anything particularly well regarding T9A. Simply for most the jump from WFB to T9A was less of a leap than for other country communities hence we kept some momentum while other countries potentially lost more players in meantime. From my observations since golden-age of player activity in fantasy we are continuously losing player base. Personally i think its mostly due to other game systems (environment does not allow for substantial growth of overall wargamers pool so if other game system gains players sadly mostly it means other system losing some). Fantasy was biggest thing in Poland for years and it still is despite that.

Final thought:
      If someone want the hobby to grow he should organize events like exhibitions as i mentioned before. Push for events in bigger and more exposed tournament halls. Obviously I understand that not everyone wants to do such things but no one is going to do this for us and it simply can be done sometimes easier than one anticipates.
    • kisanis wrote:

sometimes this forum is worse than whineseer in its heyday.

Well I think it is nothing wrong to speak, in what situation we are. We can ignore reality but imo this is not right way. We should think in advance what to do to promote our hobby among youths, and how to make it and share it among other countries. I think, that good idea can be also to create local leagues as a support of local tournaments. Not always people has time to spent whole day playing T9A. Also what I noticed, many people are tired by 3 games or more within 1 day. Especially weaker players and noobies. Local leagues can be a nice tool to improve quantity of local community.

Yes indeed forum should be removed from main page of T9A website or hide deeper that first impression are books, description, miniatures etc and all other WOW effect.

The post was edited 2 times, last by albo_albo ().

• All those gamers of T9A in Poland are old Warhammer players. Non stop playing since 5th to 9th ed, or resurrected from grave after few years pause. There are very very small amount of new T9A gamers who don't know Warhammer. We are on falling trend too! There will be no rise until deliver "T9A Starter Set" to local hobby shops.

Why in Poland always was more fantasy players than 40k, unlike global trend? I think this is more sociological sensation. Local cultural identity...

Probably this is related to cultural/historical identity of people of Eastern Europe. We see middle/renaissance ages as our golden age. That is why many young people like to play Warhammer Fantasy Role Play on the streets of Marienburg, Bogenhafen or Erengrad. That is why Witcher was created here, and that is why people are not familiar with science fiction literature/films here, and that is why Poland can not into Space xD Second part which is very polish is doing something against somebody who was mean to us. Bad Games Workshop Guy delete our favourite game so we build our game against him. We use much our free resources to do this because we have moral imperative! xD He is bad and we are good now xD This is our cultural style which was learned in school, and it is related to hard history of polish nation which sometimes was on European maps and sometimes disappeared xD This is funny and silly xD Of course this is impossible to applied this behaviour in another countries to increase t9a popularity.

The post was edited 5 times, last by esgaroth ().