The Pikes​ of Völkheim - EoS Hobby Blog

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• The Pikes​ of Völkheim - EoS Hobby Blog

++The Pikes of Völkheim++
      The pikes must be together by the rising of the moon

-Völkheim folk song

Adversity flows through the blood of every man and woman of Völkhiem. The maritime city existed in relative peace before the legions of the Dark Gods invaded from the East. The popular hub for trade and commerce to and from Aldan and the more charismatic tribes to the North was sacked during the invasion, it's defendable location situated on the coast in rocky fjords surrounded by mountainous terrain proved challenging for the transgressors but superior land and naval forces and the lack of military aid broke the city and saw it's people slaughtered.

Vetia was liberated from the invaders and Völkheim was reborn. It's people once again knew the pleasures of peace for nearly a thousand years until the pretender, Matthias the Pious, made a claim to the Empire's throne. The people of Völkheim opposed this charlatan and instead supported Prince Maximillian the 9th, a prince of noble blood who's lineage reaches long into the history of the Empire. This rivalry ended with Maximillian's head paraded down the streets of Alfhaven on a pike and Völkheim was again burnt to the ground for its rebellious nature. The example "Emperor" Matthias made of Völkheim was enough to subdue the rest of Vetia and unite the Empire under one banner.

Völkheim was once again rebuilt, except this time under close watch by the bureaucrats of Matthias's court. Alfhaven's iron fist was felt as Matthias demanded a constant levy of Völkheim's soldiers to wage his wars, and bestowed the cities leadership upon Nikolaus Rothmeyer the 3rd, a weak and pathetic ruler not fit to sit beside his father in Alfhaven, and surely not fit to rule the legendary city of Völkheim.

Otto von Kruger, a battle-hardened veteran who lived through the second sacking of his city, watched his family hang for dissenting. He himself was spared due to his usefulness and experience as a soldier and his absence at the siege itself. Under the scrutiny of Nikolaus the 3rd and his advisers, he was put to work. Dedicating his life to soldiery, Otto climbed through the ranks and lead a company of soldiers prior to the sacking of Völkheim. The Völkheim 43rd Regiment "The Maiden's Light" aptly named for commonly being deployed to the far fringes of the Empire. Named for bringing "Sunna's Light" to the unenlightened and so forth. Otto's blood runs as blue as the River Völk, and his discontent for the current Emperor and his son in particular run strong, but he does not let his arrogance cloud his judgement so he serves with grace.

His company of able-bodied state-troops and the knightly order of the Black Eagle, an order deeply engrained in the city of Völkheim's history, travel far and wide and fight on all fronts for the Emperor. Otto's victories are many and his exploits of epic proportions and these are his stories.

Otto von Kruger during the Defence of Port Monte-Kairo (circa 259 AS)

+ + +

This thread is strictly a finished product blog. All unfinished pictures will be posted on my personal blog which can be found here:

This is the blog I'll be posting on to display the progress of a new Empire of Sonnstahl army I'll be building from scratch. As of right now I have nothing tangible except the idea and a rough 4500 army list I'll be building towards. I already have a decently large Ogre Khan's army but I justified this project with being able to use it for both 9th Age and Swordpoint (a historical game by Gripping Beast that's fairly popular).

I've been thinking about a new project for awhile and in the past I've always been blown away by Pro Gloria's Landsknecht plastic kits. I just recently heard Warlord Games bought out Pro Gloria and now the kits are easily accessible so I was sold. Using a mix of Pro Gloria Landsknecht's, Foundry/Steel Fist Mini's I'll build the army and post my progress here, but I'm just about to start college and everything that comes with that so my plates pretty full right now.

The excerpts of lore are really just to satisfy my fanboy-isms during the periods of time I can't physically work on the army so each post I make will have some sort of story or explanation of Otto von Kruger or the City-State of Völkheim. I feel like the lore in 9th Age is pretty limited right now so I took a lot of liberties writing this. The feel I get from the Background Team is that the Empire was formed by Leopold the Truehearted and its been smooth ever since, no rebellion, no in-fighting, or turmoil which is boring. Anyways if I have any inconsistencies with the existing lore PLEASE point it out as it would only make me happier to make my story seamless with everyone elses.

++Unit List++

Otto von Kruger: Incomplete

Pike Tercio of Straussburg: Incomplete
      - x36 Pikemen: Incomplete
      - x12 Arquebusier: Incomplete
      - Captain: Incomplete

Pike Tercio of Vindhelm: Incomplete

Pike Tercio of Frauenstein: Incomplete

Pike Tercio of Wädenshausen: Incomplete

Imperial Knight Company of Götz von Brockburg: Incomplete
      - x12 Imperial Knights: Incomplete

Imperial Knight Company of Franz von Sickingen: Incomplete

Imperial Knight Company of Gottfried von Hessburg: Incomplete

Cannon #1
      : Incomplete
      Cannon #2: Incomplete
      Cannon #3: Incomplete
      Cannon #4: Incomplete
      Cannon #5: Incomplete
      Cannon #6: Incomplete
      For the Empire!

The post was edited 6 times, last by Otto von Kruger ().