Building up the NA scene by finding new events.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Building up the NA scene by finding new events.

So with my first foray into being a TO - I am realizing that there are a lot of conventions and events that could badly use a T9A presence. I want this thread to be a place for people to share gaming conventions or tournament conventions where T9A does not have a presence - but we should.

I was hoping to use this thread for people to post suggestions of events/conventions/Generic Tournaments where we could join in, and get some T9A exposure.

These could be new events, event's we've had but have since dropped (Adepticon) or events where we've been told no before, but should keep pestering. These events don't have to be tournaments either - Maybe just demo games - or some other creative convention variation of T9A.

I'll update the list and try and sort this out by Country/State/Province for us - This can hopefully provide a good resource for us to grow T9A in the post Beta new year.

Canada
      Alberta
      British Columbia
      Manitoba
      New Brunswick
      Newfoundland
      Nova Scotia
      Ontario
      • CanGames
      • Hotlead
      • Sword and Brush
      • Gryphcon
      • Kegscon
      • Broadsword
      PEI
      Saskatchewan
      Quebec

USA

Illinois
      • Dragonfall
      • Little Wars (
      Indiana
      • Gencon
      Kansas
      • Flying Monkey Con in Wichita KS
      Maine
      • Huzzah! Con
      Milwaukee
      • Nexus Game Fair
      Nevada
      • Las Vegas Open
      North Carolina
      • NOVA Open
      Ohio
      • CincyCon
      • Origins
      • Advance the Colors
      Pennsylvania
      • PAX unplugged (Philadelphia)
      Tennessee
      • Nashcon
      Vermont
      • CarnageCon
      Wisconsin
      • Gamehole Con
      • GaryCon

Mexico

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Absolutely critical:
      GenCon (Indianapolis, generally early-mid August, single most important convention in gaming)

Would be nice:
      Gamehole Con (it's a small con in Madison, WI, mid-November)
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• Squirrelloid wrote:

Absolutely critical:
      GenCon (Indianapolis, generally early-mid August, single most important convention in gaming)

Would be nice:
      Gamehole Con (it's a small con in Madison, WI, mid-November)
      awesome! I added both to the list!

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• proofyeq wrote:

No idea if people have tried but NoVA would be a goodie.
      Added!

I also put in the LVO.

My personal opinion is that while the big big shows are cool and great. I think our best bet for growing the game is some of the smaller cons - especially ones that draw a lot of non-40k/GW attention.

When we are 1 in 40 booths we can get a better profile than when we are 1 in 100 or even 1 in 1000.
      Especially when we are up against the big shiny booths/tables of GW/Mantic/Warlord/Etc..

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

- Grouchy Badger

• Nova is way overpriced no one wanted to come, they absolutely snubbed our events on prize support in the past even when 8th was popular. It’s a very expensive tournament entry, and even more expensive hotels than normal.

Also we (CGL) the local gaming group have decided to not run an event there. We host our own tournament and other events, but are not interested in being part of Nova Open.
    • Gym Shorts wrote:

Nova is way overpriced no one wanted to come, they absolutely snubbed our events on prize support in the past even when 8th was popular. It’s a very expensive tournament entry, and even more expensive hotels than normal.

Also we (CGL) the local gaming group have decided to not run an event there. We host our own tournament and other events, but are not interested in being part of Nova Open.
      are there any smaller cons out that way?

Im thinking places where we can show off the game and demo it, more than run a tournament. Tourneys are great, but we want to draw in new players at these events, not just get existing players playing.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

- Grouchy Badger

• theres dragonfall held in Chicago and Jeff Durham will be running 9th age there

MiGT in Lansing michigan and Alex meyer runs 9th there

Adepticon is a large one that pushed 9th out the door but me and lenny created cornerhammer right down the road so people can do both.

Gen con as mentioned is just too large to have 9th at really. Too much else going on

Origins in Columbus Ohio used to always have fantasy events but the way its organized has pushed several TOs away as it's a giant pain to try and run events through there.

As Phil (gymshorts) has said it seems to usually tend to be best for events to be held by themselves.
    • awesome guys.

I really think our best bet is the medium sized events.

Where it gets a variety of attendees, but isnt so large that we get drowned out or pushed out.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

- Grouchy Badger

• bubafett wrote:

Gen con as mentioned is just too large to have 9th at really. Too much else going on
      Nonsense. There's pretty much always tables empty in the wargaming area somewhere. Even if we just ran demos at a few tables, a T9A presence would help provide exposure.
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• @Squirrelloid

Squirrelloid wrote:

bubafett wrote:

Nonsense. There's pretty much always tables empty in the wargaming area somewhere. Even if we just ran demos at a few tables, a T9A presence would help provide exposure.
      and what is the cost for a table?
    • SirMC2015 wrote:

@Squirrelloid

Squirrelloid wrote:

bubafett wrote:

and what is the cost for a table?
      I don't think there is one in the playing areas. Only sales floor ("Exhibit Hall") space (which we wouldn't want as we're not a company) charges a fee. But I'll see if I can find out for sure.

(Events do require tickets from players, at least some of which goes to Gencon).

Edit: "Ticketed Events: These are typical, normal events from both companies and gaming groups alike.There is a Gen Con base price (as appropriate) and attendees can usually purchase a ticket toconfirm their seat. There is no fee to run ticketed events, unless they involve special requirementslike A/V or power."

So whatever fee is payed by attendees (in the form of tickets), not the hosts. Any additional fee charged by the hosts to the attendees can be added to the base ticket price, and Gencon will pay out the appropriate amount after the event.

Edit 2: Base ticket price for a 2h event is $2 iirc. Which is what I paid to demo Kings of War a couple years ago. For demos, someone would need to have enough painted armies to demo with.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

The post was edited 3 times, last by Squirrelloid ().

• I would also follow the thread about ESSEN SPIEL T9A at "SPIEL Essen" 2019 (Game fair)

The germany guys are looking at doing a demo table to raise the profile - may be worth learning from each other.

Even if there is a charge - it may be worth it depending on how much. But if you can do it for free elsewhere -thats always a great option!

I want to stress - this isn't about places where we're already running tournaments.

if anything, This shouldn't be about tournaments at all! I'm thinking places where we can showcase the game and interact with prospective players. This is about outreach outside of the exising T9A bubble. Small demo games, big demo games, Vendor style booths, etc...

Obviously a tournament is a great thing to have happening to show the game is alive - but we run the risk of 'preaching to the choir'

Even with A-Con - I'd love to get a demo table in there eventually - just to demo the game to passers by. Annoying as that situation was.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

- Grouchy Badger

• I think also giving new players some sort of next steps flyer would help. We have former wfb players come up to us all the time, but very rarely, like less than 1% of them actually come out and play.

Like where to find miniatures, links to 9th age rules, links to local clubs game planning and events pages. Wfb did well because they had retail sales people plus tons of ease to accessibility of events aimed at new players.
    • @Gym Shorts - Do you think the new website that was in the spoiler will help with that?

Now that the Beta is done it should be less confusing - the new website will have clear links for rules.
      Minis are a little harder - but i like to highlight the freedom by showing all the cool companies I've found. You've got to get people to have their minds 'click' with the realization of what mini freedom is - once that drops into place they seem to really like the concept.

Do you think a 1 sheet flyer? (double sided) or a pamphlet would be better?

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

- Grouchy Badger