New Builder site/app for T9A . 18 armies (2.2) supported. 100% free.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• New Builder site/app for T9A . 18 armies (2.2) supported. 100% free.

Hello fellow T9A players,

I am very proud to present to you my new builder for T9A, named New Recruit, available at newrecruit.eu

I have been working very hard on it for quite some time, probably over 600 hours of work, and the first satisfying version is finally here.

I tried a few different builders, including the ones that are not free, when I got back to T9A a few months from now. I could not find one that fit all my needs, so I decided to make my own. It started as a small project but I found it so good I decided to push it further, improve it and make it available for all T9A armies.

The main features are :
    - All 16 armies supported.
    - A very tight constraint system that will guarantee that your list is 100% legal according to every single rule and restriction T9A has in regard to army building.
    - Automatic replacement of options for convenience. For example, in a VC army, all Vampires need to belong to the same Bloodline. If I switch 1 Vampire's bloodline, it will automatically switch other Vampires to the same Bloodline, and automatically turn off options that required this Bloodline such as the Court of the Damned upgrade.
    - Automatic hiding of options that are not available in the context. For example, if I build a character that is not a Wizard, then Wizard only items will not show. If I make him a Wizard, they will then show. If I pick some Wizard only options and uncheck the Wizard option, then these options will be automatically unchecked with a warning.
    - Sometimes, the automatic option replacement fails because it requires too many cascading changes, and an error message will be displayed instead.
    - All in all, this allows for very smooth army building, and prevents you from making any mistake. You also gain some time because you don't need to manually switch on and off options or upgrades that are forced or forbidden.

One awesome feature of New Recruit, is that it is a Progressive Web App (PWA). What is a PWA you're going to ask? Well, it is something in between a traditional website and an app, and it stacks the advantages of both apps and websites. The PWA is very light and "lives" inside your browser. You do not need to install anything, all you need is a modern browser. That is Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and other browsers based on Chrome such as Samsung Browser. On iOS, however, it seems that the only browser that supports PWAs is Safari from version 11.1 on iOS 11.3.

- Virtually no installation needed, just connect to newrecruit.eu, the app automatically installs itself in your browser's cache. It is very small (<300 kb). Updates are automatically installed when you connect again.
    - You do not need to subscribe to anything or to create any accounts to use it, just go to newrecruit.eu and you can immediately use the builder.
    - You can use it offline. After the first time you connected to newrecruit.eu, everything is cached inside your browser, and you will not need an internet connection to connect to this address again, it will just work. Convenient if you are in a place with no internet like a train or a plane. It will also no use any data if you have a limited data phone plan.
    - It can be installed just like an App in Android. If you are using Chrome in Android, then Chrome should ask you if you want to add the app to your home screen. If you do, an icon will be added and behave just like a normal app. It's nice to use it like this because when you use the "app" icon, it launches in full screen without the UI of the browser so you gain some space.
    - It works seamlessly on all devices that support one of the listed browsers. It is adapted to different screen sizes for perfect readability. Really good because you don't need to print your army list anymore, you can use it on your smartphone in a very nice format.

I also added a nice feature that allows you to synchronize all your army lists between your different devices. Say you make your list on a PC and you want to transfer it to your phone. All you will need to click on the little "cloud" icon at the top right of the screen, create an account (it takes 3 seconds). Then a Synchronize button will appear that will send your lists to the server and download lists that you made on other devices. In case you modify the same list on 2 different devices, the last modification will replace the online version (you shouldn't do that anyway). All you need to do is now to connect on your smartphone, click Synchronize and your lists will be downloaded to your smartphone. Obviously this requires an active internet connection, but it is the only feature that needs a connection to work, everything else works offline.

Now this is the first public version I release, I tested it quite a lot but I am sure there are plenty of mistakes left in some armies, and possibly some bugs (hopefully not). The current version is 0.91. I just realize as I am writing this, that I forgot to add the "lost password" feature, so don't lose your password (if you create an account, which is optional). If you do, just PM me on this forum and I will generate a new password for you. I will add a "lost password" button soon enough so it should not be a problem.

Right now New Recruit is only aimed at army building, not as an in game helper app, so it only includes the required data to build lists, but for example the stats of units are not included. It will not replace your army book. I might add a game helper feature with all unit stats later, and possibly also and easy way to count Victory Points, depending on whether or not the community likes this builder. I might also extend it to other games if it is a success in T9A.

The post was edited 2 times, last by flammy` ().

• The app should automatically update itself every once in a while (the browser should do minimum 1 update check per 24h as per PWA standard). If you want to "force" an update just refresh the page a couple time (if you are using a browser). If you are using it as an Android app, just start it, close it, restart it a couple times and it should update.

I have double checked all the data for all armies, there should be very few errors left, please post in this thread if you spot any problems.

I will now focus on fixing the few bugs and then work on supporting War Bands and Grand Armies when I find the time.

KNOW BUGS:
    - OK: Your browser may crash if you try to add more than 4 units of Veterans.
    - VC: If you create more than 1 Vampire with the BoTD bloodline, the bloodline of all your vampires will be reset to "Independant" instead of automatically setting the new vampire's bloodline to BoTD. The current workaround is to first create all the vampires you need and then switch one to BoTD, which is going to automatically switch all your Vampires to BoTD.

Version 1.04
    - Updated WdG to 2.1.2
    - Fixed many issues in the new DL book
    - Fixed the problem with OG's Tuktek's armor

Version 1.03
    - Added the DL 2.1.2 army.

Version 1.02
    - WOTG :
    - Warrior base cost fixed to 210
    - Mark of pride cost fixed to 3/model
    - Mark of sloth cost fixed to 12/model
    - EoS :
    - Artificer now counts towers characters and imperial armory
    - Taking armor enchantments should no longer display (Hand weapon) in the army list

- VS :
    - Maximum % of tunnel gunners is now 25% if you have a Vermin Demon
    - Vermin hulks champion ranged weapons now require the Thunder hulks upgrade

- DH :
    - Characters can only take 3 talisman
    - Fixed the spelling of Runing standard of anvil

- VC :
    - Fixed spelling on Shamanism and Vampire Spawn

- OnG :
    - Witch doctors can now take wizard only items as they should

Version 0.99
    - Version 205 supported for all armies
    - Various small fixes

Version 0.983
    - DH: Added Organ Gun option for Field Artillery
    - VC: Fixed some problems with Vampire Courtier mount options

Version 0.981
    - DL: Fixed a problem with special units counting double their cost towards their respecting category "Minions of ..."

Version 0.98
    - Double checked everything and fixed various errors for UD it should be error free now.
    - Double checked everything and fixed various errors for WDG it should be error free now.

Version 0.97
    - Double checked everything and fixed various errors for OnG it should be error free now.
    - Double checked everything and fixed various errors for OK it should be error free now.

Version 0.968
    - Fixed a problem that prevented some mandatory options from checking automatically (like Brotherhood of the Dragon Plate Armour)

Version 0.967
    - Double checked everything and fixed various errors for SA it should be error free now.
    - OG: Fixed the cost of Paired Weapons for Orc Warlord and Orc Chief
    - OG: Fixed the cost of Light Armor for Common Globlin Witch Doctor

Version 0.965
    - ID: Fixed Ring of desiccation (was tagged "wizard only", when it should be "models on foot only").
    - SE: Fixed the cost of the Briar Maidens champion

Version 0.963
    - DE: Characters that can only have 1 Weapon option can no longer select multiple Weapons
    - DE: Fixed Cult Priest, can no longer use Heavy Armor as in the Army Book.

- Fixed an issue with the display of a warning message when duplicating a unit.
    - Fixed an issue where duplicating an army could cause the Army Book selected box to select nothing at all after duplicating an army.

Version 0.962
    - Fixed an issue that would cause no army book to be selected when creating a new list. When creating a new list, the same army book as the currently edited list should be selected.

Version 0.961
    - On smaller screens the army name is shortened so it doesn't overlap with the trash, duplicate and export text icons.

Version 0.96
    - Added duplicate unit function
    - Added duplicate army function

Version 0.95
    - Options that are no longer available because already taken by an other unit are now displayed greyed. In most cases if you try to check a greyed option, an error will pop to tell you why it is greyed. In some cases, you will be able to check it anyway and warnings will be displayed to tell you what other changes were cascaded.

- Double checked everything and fixed various errors for HbE and KoE, these should be error free now.

Version 0.944
    - Double checked everything and fixed various errors for DL and DE, these should be error free now.

Version 0.943
    - Double checked everything and fixed various errors for DH, should be error free now.

Version 0.941
    - DE: Fixed the price of Corsairs
    - DE: Fixed the price of Yema for Dread Prince
    - HbE: Added Light Armor to High Prince and Commander
    - Double checked everything and fixed a few errors for EoS and SE, these armies should be error free now.

The post was edited 26 times, last by flammy` ().

• Pretty neat. It would be great to have a "duplicate unit" button, if that doesn't mess up your restrictions check system.

I've spotted at few mistakes in the OnG roster:
    -Goblin chief race choice writes " XXX Goblin King" instead of Chief.
    -The witchdoctor proposes Shamanism instead of witchcraft for Path choices
    -Core Cave goblins give an error when adding 1 Mad Git to the initial size ("must have 15 goblins"). If you change the unit size to anything legal (even the initial 20 to 20) it works though.
  • DeepSea wrote:

Stupid question alert. How do I make a list. I've named it etc but when I click save nothing happened...
    Normally, when you click Save it should go back to the main screen where you start adding units, if nothing happens there is something wrong. Which browser are you using?

Pellegrim wrote:

any chance of a txt export option? Or pdf?
    Txt export is the next thing I am going to add probably next Sunday. I wanted to have it but I forgot to add it at the last moment. I will use the format provided in the tournament guidelines for T9A. Pdf might take a bit of work but I can do it though I don't know if it is very useful. There is already a "printer" icon you click, it should open a new window with a printer friendly html format.

Shlagrabak wrote:

Pretty neat. It would be great to have a "duplicate unit" button, if that doesn't mess up your restrictions check system.

-Core Cave goblins give an error when adding 1 Mad Git to the initial size ("must have 15 goblins"). If you change the unit size to anything legal (even the initial 20 to 20) it works though.
    I actually made a duplicate icon but removed it because, as you guessed, it caused problems with the restriction system, and I was too lazy to fix it and decided to push it later. I can easily add a duplicate army button though, which is even more usefull I think when you want to create different versions of the same build. So I will add the duplicate army first, and when I find the courage to go back into the restriction system, I will add the duplicate unit button as well.

I will fix these mistakes in the OnG roster thanks a lot!
    EDIT: I haven't been able to reproduce the mad git issue, perhaps you clicked twice on the "up" arrow and got an error message the first time you did it? Does it show an error if you try it again?

Aegitru wrote:

Hi, good initiative.
    Tried a bit on mobile, looks solid. Interface is quite simple, but I guess it's because it's just the beginning.

Some of the dwarven runes costs are off though, but except from that it looks good. Nice job !
    I like simple interfaces, especially on mobile where space is restricted. As new features are added I will probably have to had stuff but I don't want to clutter it. I will fix the Dwarf runes thanks!

Implementing all the data from the 16 armies has been a very mind numbing task, I made a number of mistakes but it should be fixed soon, especially with help from the community, thanks again guys!

The post was edited 1 time, last by flammy` ().

• Shlagrabak wrote:

Pretty neat. It would be great to have a "duplicate unit" button, if that doesn't mess up your restrictions check system.

flammy` wrote:

I will fix these mistakes in the OnG roster thanks a lot!
    Seems that there is another problem with OnG. If you buy a unit of 10 Goblin Raiders they are still listed as Specials not as Core.

Have to say that the App is GREAT.
  • Impressive, very good work :thumbup:
    I signal that the scout option for the sylvan sentinels (Sylvan Elves => Unseen Arrows => Sylvan Sentinels) cost 0 per model instead of 3

If i may a pair of suggestion i'd propose to add some sort of visual feedback that you have filled the core, like a green check icon near the point value, also a visual feedback that you are over the maximum point of a category or off the entire army, probably a red x
  • flammy` wrote:

DeepSea wrote:

Stupid question alert. How do I make a list. I've named it etc but when I click save nothing happened...
    Normally, when you click Save it should go back to the main screen where you start adding units, if nothing happens there is something wrong. Which browser are you using?
    I was using Chrome on Android. But I had an update I'd missed. After that it's working fine.

Thanks!
  • Looks really interesting. Also seems to work on my computer, but on my iPhone, for some reason both drop-down lists (game, army) are empty...
    Currently posting a lot of Dread Elf WIP pictures over at: MrMossevig's Painting League 2019 - The Year of the Dragon

My previous KoE project and complete army pictures: Army of Celeste
  • Also, the price for a champion in the Dark Acolytes is too low (20 vs 120). I guess this could be a problem with more of the Wizard Conclaves?
    Currently posting a lot of Dread Elf WIP pictures over at: MrMossevig's Painting League 2019 - The Year of the Dragon

• mrmossevig wrote:

Also, the price for a champion in the Dark Acolytes is too low (20 vs 120). I guess this could be a problem with more of the Wizard Conclaves?
    It's not a problem, it's just me making quite a few mistakes here and there because I litteraly spent a full week doing nothing else of my days typing in data from books. I will fix this and double check everything now so hopefully everything should be good in a few days.
  • flammy` wrote:

mrmossevig wrote:

Looks really interesting. Also seems to work on my computer, but on my iPhone, for some reason both drop-down lists (game, army) are empty...
    I don't have an iPhone to test myself but from what I read, you need to have iOS 11.3 and at least Safari 11.1 and it *should* work. Do you know what version of iOS you are running?
    Chrome 69.0.3497.91 on iOS 11.4.1.

Just tested it on Safari and the drop-down lists are blank there as well.