[Campaign] A Tale of the Crimson Peaks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• [Campaign] A Tale of the Crimson Peaks

Hi!

I have written a short document for a map campaign with an escalation system in mind. This allows new players to get several battles with smaller armies or Quickstarter rules and offers veterans a change from classical 4500 points battles. To accommodate busy gaming schedules, battles are limited to 2 per player each turn, but this can be tweaked by groups with more availability.

The action takes place in the Crimson Peaks, located in Vetia in the T9A world, where several generals of dubious reputation are coming after the legend of an ancient structure. The system is very basic, armies start at 2000 to 3000 points with heavier focus in Core and can lift restrictions by winning their battles. Every 2-4 Turns, the maximum size of the armies is increased by 500 points.

I tried to encourage strategy in the map movements by giving some tactical bonuses to hexes with structures present in them, and I tried to encourage players to fight each other by locating the main goal of the campaign roughly at the same distance of all initial positions.

The document is here: docs.google.com/document/d/1a7…iMpOhghs/edit?usp=sharing
      I would like to request some opinions about it, with suggestions if possible.

Some things I would like to add are specific scenarios and a more epic finale, since right now controlling the objective simply contributes to winning.

Thanks! :)

Credit:
      I took inspiration and borrowed ideas from:
      'He opened the battered book. Bits of paper and string indicated his many bookmarks.
      "In fact, men, the general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is..." he turned the page, "Don't Have a Battle."
      "Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.'
      Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

The post was edited 2 times, last by elendor_f ().

• Hi @piteglio!
      Probably you are overworked with the QS, but could you take a short look at this campaign system?

I wrote it thinking about escalation, the core idea is to start with mostly Core troops and small games of 2000-3000 points, and then slowly build up until 4500. The initial games could be played under the QS rules, and later on switch to the regular T9A rulebook.
      Each campaign turn may take anywhere between 1 week to months with a maximum of 2 battles per player so it's pretty flexible and I thought it could become a good way to complement the QS rules.
      I plan to add a couple of scenarios or other rules to add flavour but input would be appreciated!

Feel free to ignore this if you are too busy of course!

'He opened the battered book. Bits of paper and string indicated his many bookmarks.
      "In fact, men, the general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is..." he turned the page, "Don't Have a Battle."
      Terry Pratchett, Jingo!
    • hey elendor
      i am indeed swamped with new stuff, but i love this idea! i used to spend a lot of time creating things like these back in 6th edition, to try and keep united that messy player group i had. plus, you kept it reasonably short (including fluff and figures), so yeah, i'll definitely look into it. also, you know i always look for engaging formats for livestreams - after QS league and ThunderSquads, it'd be great to have a Campaign evening every other week! let me know if that would be something you'd like.
      cheers,
      f

click the logo and reach the KickStarter page!
    • piteglio wrote:

hey elendor
      i am indeed swamped with new stuff, but i love this idea! i used to spend a lot of time creating things like these back in 6th edition, to try and keep united that messy player group i had. plus, you kept it reasonably short (including fluff and figures), so yeah, i'll definitely look into it. also, you know i always look for engaging formats for livestreams - after QS league and ThunderSquads, it'd be great to have a Campaign evening every other week! let me know if that would be something you'd like.
      cheers,
      f
      Glad that you like it! :)
      It would be great if you want to use this campaign for a Campaign evening for livestreams! I am not sure if I would have the time to participate as a player but I could help with the organization.
      Terry Pratchett, Jingo!
    • that'd be great, elendor. you organise, i take care of the technicalities of the show, and some lucky community members have fun with your concept!

i had a quick look at the document, and i feel i can't really say much that would be interesting about the campaign as a whole.
      you did mention QuickStarter armies as a possible starting point, tho. and on this, there's something i can contribute:

the armies you've seen so far are the "premade" armies, geared for some 800-850 points in value. the QS will also contain "regular" armies, with more options to choose from (e.g. 8 units instead of 4, each unit with some options - either unit size, or maybe mounts or special items).

so maybe i'm biased (i'll give you that) : ) but i really see a nice progression with
      (1) QS premade army
      (2) QS regular army
      (3) FB warband
      (4) FB regular army
      (5) FB grand army (why not!)

this is of course just a template - no need to limit the possibilities of players. but i think it'd make for a neat suggestion. the main advantage is that new players would know exactly which rules to read form the QS book. read the first 20 pages and you're ready to play with (1). read those other ten pages and you can play with (2). you could make their life easier and exclude some specific things such as secondary objectives and deployment styles for (3).

i used to find that new players need guidance in "what to learn". if you agree with that, then the QS is your friend! : )

click the logo and reach the KickStarter page!