Whitehorn's 9th age miniatures

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Whitehorn's 9th age miniatures

I come from an "Oldhammer" background, but I've been into Warhammer (and most related games) new and old for 30 years. I started sculpting my own miniatures for production around 3 years ago, going from one niche to another. I am however trying to tap more into less-niche species in an effort to feed myself.

My current ranges include Undead, Fomor, Beastmen, Gnomes, Trolls and Mykelings. They are all slowly growing and more races are being added. Rather than drop a load of images here, I'll go through them one at a time to get some discussion going.

My influences are obviously classic Warhammer and Lord of the Rings, but my thing is to mix these up with the Lebor Gabála Érenn (Book of Invasions), giving an Irish mythological spin to it all.

I have applied for official supporting company status, so should hopefully be steering my efforts towards filling in any gaps in armies here!

Here's a selection of models I painted in November, all but one were sculpted by myself. I tend to run them as Ogres in whatever I happen to play, as rules for "Fimir" are not always present.

So next up are my Gnomes. I started 2018 with a small Kickstarter to bring out the first batch of these and a second followed to expand them. I would love to do some more in 2019 covering more unit types and some characters.
      Gnomes were intended to be used as either proxies for Goblins as the size, quantity and underground flavour fits, or as allies/proxies for Dwarves. Gnomes saw a brief bit of attention in 3rd edition Warhammer but were quickly forgotten.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Whitehorn ().

• Nice miniatures!

I would start by adding a shop link to your signature. You are Krakon Games?

9th Age is miniature friendly, I am certain your support will be much appreciated. May the T9A project support you in kind.

I think the Lebor Gabála Érenn is exactly the kind of book I like to read. Is there a paper version you would recommend?
    • Thanks for the feedback and tips!

Little Joe, it's not the cheapest thing to get hold of physically - it's split into several volumes, each costing around the same as a graphic novel. There are translations and summaries freely available Online though.

marotta, I am self-taught. Pretty much searching for sculpting tutorials on Youtube, Pinterest or general Google helped me find my way, also studying other sculptor's progress shots.

So next up are my Gnomes. I started 2018 with a small Kickstarter to bring out the first batch of these and a second followed to expand them. I would love to do some more in 2019 covering more unit types and some characters.
      Gnomes were intended to be used as either proxies for Goblins as the size, quantity and underground flavour fits, or as allies/proxies for Dwarves. Gnomes saw a brief bit of attention in 3rd edition Warhammer but were quickly forgotten.

• marotta wrote:

Very nice! Looking forward to pics of your other stuff. I like your weapon sculpts, not too boring, not too much and goofy. I find many companies to struggle with that balance (or maybe its a matter of taste...)

Can you recommend any good resources when it comes to learning to sculpt?
      I would recommend Tom Mason on YouTube, an there is way more. I actually like written tutorials, patience and mastering your material/tools are what you will want to train.

Whitehorn wrote:

Thanks for the feedback and tips!

Little Joe, it's not the cheapest thing to get hold of physically - it's split into several volumes, each costing around the same as a graphic novel. There are translations and summaries freely available Online though.

marotta, I am self-taught. Pretty much searching for sculpting tutorials on Youtube, Pinterest or general Google helped me find my way, also studying other sculptor's progress shots.

Ok, I will have a look, thanks. Nice Gnomes!