WIP Kestrel Knights

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

    Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

    • Adam wrote:

      Flavus wrote:

      In serious tournament, such as ETC I would called a judge and would ask him to forbid attack and stomps from "kestrels" mounts, because actually here is no mounts.

      Flavus wrote:

      Of course I personally don't call a judge
      Well you said something completely different.
      Now to stop offtopic I really like your conversions and they look the part! I have done similar thing to make vampire spawns as I hate original models and you are doing great job so far.
      Adam, probably I not clearly expressed my thoughts, english is not my native language... It is only as example of behaviour on tournament, when your opponent can offense your minis, because your minis missed some WYSWYG. This is maybe rude, but if tournament rules demand WYSWYG, your opponent will be right to cut some abilities from your unit.
    • Ciara wrote:

      Does wysiwig as tournament rule in 9th age even exist anymore?
      From ETC 2018 - Tournament-Pack - T9A:
      WYFIWYG
      What You Field Is What You Get
      ...
      3. Models (including summoned models) should represent the appropriate Troop Type, or at least not be easily mistaken for another Troop Type;
      ...

      So, I can say that topic starter conversion does not represent a CAVALRY type at all. And this maybe a problem for opponent who can make wrong decisions because this looks like a normal sized infantry with fly ability.
    • Flavus wrote:

      Your "kestrel" knights looks more like a harpies.

      In serious tournament, such as ETC I would called a judge and would ask him to forbid attack and stomps from "kestrels" mounts, because actually here is no mounts.

      This game not only for sport, but modelling also has the meaning. Please don't do this cheap and quickie conversions, respect your play mates, who spend many time for build their army.

      Too many ways to resolve problem with models. If you cannot made by yourself, use some alternative, for example from Raging Heroes- ragingheroes.com/products/stingrays-tr-ve-sf

      Mounts from Vanguard-Palladors games-workshop.com/en-EU/Storm…s-Vanguard-Palladors-2017 also can fit if you would added some wings.


      For example, I have done my conversions for kestrels from GW Skycutters kit.

      kestrels1.jpg
      hmmm... no thumbs down button.

      @Flavus I do really like your birds though. You did some really clean casts. Keep.up the good work.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by infamousme ().

    • Flavus wrote:

      Ciara wrote:

      Does wysiwig as tournament rule in 9th age even exist anymore?
      From ETC 2018 - Tournament-Pack - T9A:WYFIWYG
      What You Field Is What You Get
      ...
      3. Models (including summoned models) should represent the appropriate Troop Type, or at least not be easily mistaken for another Troop Type;
      ...

      So, I can say that topic starter conversion does not represent a CAVALRY type at all. And this maybe a problem for opponent who can make wrong decisions because this looks like a normal sized infantry with fly ability.
      An elf with wings in a 40x40mm base what could it be in a SE army? :sure:
      Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds- elf hero on foot 2016
    • I didn't know these kind of guys still exists.

      I think these are great mods and really wish to see them painted fast. I personally apreciate doing kitbashing bcoz it is showing that person is in some way passionate to put effort to do something different than just get simple "out of the box and glue it" -solution.
    • Saying they shouldn't get mounts or stomps because there is no mount model is just silly. He has a vision of Angelic type elves flying through the air. Stomps could represent them dive bombing and smashing into the enemy, extra mount attacks are just the same model, but they have more attacks. No need to be so literal. Where's the fun in that? Yeah this is a game, but it's also a hobby...
    • Fleshbeast wrote:

      Can comfortably say I disagree with @Flavus on this one. I’m guessing there would be a heavy discussion about unit-fillers if this heavy an approach was taken with WYSIWYG.
      @Fleshbeast, my opinion based on rules of WYFIWYG From ETC 2018 - Tournament-Pack.
      I perfectly understand, that T9A players is not too mach, so most players try to support any conversions of models, only please play the game.

      This approach leading to low level of WYSIWIG miniatures in our game. BTW, in my community, Age of Sigmar players constantly and publicly mockery on models from T9A because they missed some WYSIWYG and often one model proxing another. This is very voulnerable when we try to attract new players in T9A.

      You can play even with corks, this is your deal, but if you post your none-WYSIWIG conversion models on public forum where this can see and accept many players this is leading to main stream of low level WYSIWIG conversion in our game.


      In our case, please, don't assure me that this is very beatiful and interesting conversions, I agree that models with wings is looking good, but this is NOT CAVALRY! And my position, if on tournaments demand "Models should represent the appropriate Troop Type", wrong type models must be count as proxy. Allowed proxy or penalty for proxy - this is another question, but that is.

      Someone must it say, even if this position is not popular.
    • Flavus wrote:

      This approach leading to low level of WYSIWIG miniatures in our game. BTW, in my community, Age of Sigmar players constantly and publicly mockery on models from T9A because they missed some WYSIWYG and often one model proxing another. This is very voulnerable when we try to attract new players in T9A.
      I don't see how or why one would mock some models as cool as the ones on this post, but well, I don't get the people that plays fantasy games with space marines in any way...

      How about attracting new players with: if you have some cool ideas regarding some epic birdmen from the forest, they are totally legal and acceptable in T9A, and we will highly appreciate your modeling work. On the other hand, you can play with real LoS, where conversions, working the bases of your models and therefore making them higher or buying from any other brand than the one we venerate can be negative regarding gameplay

      Can we please leave this stupid discussion aside and get moar pics of the minis!

      Moderator

      Translation-Team ES

      Comission Painter

      Marathon Finisher :D


      My unupdated CMON gallery X/ ; Follow me on IG: @fordyewemust ; I accept painting commissions. If you want me paint something for you, just PM!
      Seriously, a blog? In this century? For Dice We Must
    • Flavus wrote:

      Fleshbeast wrote:

      Can comfortably say I disagree with @Flavus on this one. I’m guessing there would be a heavy discussion about unit-fillers if this heavy an approach was taken with WYSIWYG.
      @Fleshbeast, my opinion based on rules of WYFIWYG From ETC 2018 - Tournament-Pack.I perfectly understand, that T9A players is not too mach, so most players try to support any conversions of models, only please play the game.

      This approach leading to low level of WYSIWIG miniatures in our game. BTW, in my community, Age of Sigmar players constantly and publicly mockery on models from T9A because they missed some WYSIWYG and often one model proxing another. This is very voulnerable when we try to attract new players in T9A.

      You can play even with corks, this is your deal, but if you post your none-WYSIWIG conversion models on public forum where this can see and accept many players this is leading to main stream of low level WYSIWIG conversion in our game.


      In our case, please, don't assure me that this is very beatiful and interesting conversions, I agree that models with wings is looking good, but this is NOT CAVALRY! And my position, if on tournaments demand "Models should represent the appropriate Troop Type", wrong type models must be count as proxy. Allowed proxy or penalty for proxy - this is another question, but that is.

      Someone must it say, even if this position is not popular.
      Hey, no problem having an opinion. Especially when you made your point clear.
      Would unit cards (to give to the opponent) help with the visuals? I know it does not fix the unit type issue but it can fix gameplay.

      Sometimes players use conversions because they like to have their own. Especially when this is used to create a unified look in style and colors, it can make an army stand out that much more. I don't know all army entries by heart, actually I enjoy the surprise. Conversions can be such a surprise for good or bad to some that now all the rules by heart. T9A is evolving and challenging in many ways, trust me, we have similar problems all the time getting the library up to speed again. When in doubt I ask the community for advice, so in time a consensus will be reached.

      If those AoS players go out of their way to mock T9A games, then they are an insecure bunch of bullies. The social contract of gaming applies over whatever is used to play. A game must be fun and above all be nice or you are out of gaming partners. I know this sounds silly and hard but we do it all the time online because typing is so much harder than talking. Living the social contract makes your life better, teaching that to new players has a lot of value. Being nice, considerate and persistent should matter more to a new player: "Here, come have a game with us, just have fun".


      Back on topic: looks great with wings!
    • Casas wrote:


      Can we please leave this stupid discussion aside and get moar pics of the minis!
      Don't know if stupid

      In my gaming group I'm pretty comfortable with the proxies and conversions of my pals, but on the tournament scene I have made mistakes in the heat of battle because I forgot what a model/proxy was supposed to be - because it was not visually obvious what the model was supposed to be.

      Not saying I would have an "Oh, right they're Kestrels" moment with these particular conversions or that anyone else would, but I've had those moments in other cases, so I just vastly prefer it when there's nothing for my disordered excuse for a mind to misunderstand.

      So:

      - I wouldn't mind playing against these models
      - All credit to OP for good modeling

      But:

      - As a representation for Kestrels I'm not fond of them now matter how well they are done
      - If a game against someone not intimately acquainted with SE is affected because the opponent misunderstands what the unit is capable off ("okay so you also have mount attacks and stomps?")... yes well..
    • T9A is a way more abstract then the other Fantasy Battles game used to be. Introduction of 'model parts' was another step in that direction. Model Part can be anything - a crew, a Character, the Pendulums Ram. It might be piece of arcane equipment called Kestrel. If there were harpies in SE book I could agree that those Kestrel knights might be misleading. But there is no other unit you could take them for.

      BTW what is Kestrel...? Kestrel
      StormRider Games
      StormRider Facebook
      _____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
      Or my WoT EU clan:
      The Ninth Army
    • Cool Conversion.

      ....I'm resisting the urge to give a wysiwyg B slap. Just because they happen to be GW models does not mean they have to agree with GW's interpretation of wysiwyg.

      And the T9A interpretation of 'not confusing with anything else in the army' totally covers this.

      People would go crazy over my kit bashed dread elf army.
    • JimMorr wrote:

      T9A is a way more abstract then the other Fantasy Battles game used to be. Introduction of 'model parts' was another step in that direction. Model Part can be anything - a crew, a Character, the Pendulums Ram. It might be piece of arcane equipment called Kestrel. If there were harpies in SE book I could agree that those Kestrel knights might be misleading. But there is no other unit you could take them for.

      BTW what is Kestrel...? Kestrel
      Kestrel
    • Little Joe wrote:

      JimMorr wrote:

      T9A is a way more abstract then the other Fantasy Battles game used to be. Introduction of 'model parts' was another step in that direction. Model Part can be anything - a crew, a Character, the Pendulums Ram. It might be piece of arcane equipment called Kestrel. If there were harpies in SE book I could agree that those Kestrel knights might be misleading. But there is no other unit you could take them for.

      BTW what is Kestrel...? Kestrel
      Kestrel
      Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.