Assorted WDG questions from a noob

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Assorted WDG questions from a noob

Hello WDG forum! I am a complete noob at 9th age, recently lured into the hobby by an active local club. Haven't played a single game. I recently made a rash(but good) decision to buy a bunch of minis to start a WDG army. I used to play skaven in my youth(in the late 90-early 00s), so I'm not completely new to the concept of fantasy wargames. And now, for my noob questions.

1. Fallen, what models are you using for this? Does hellforged armor mean they have a full plate? The WDG miniatures section is a bit hard to navigate, or is missing a few things.

2. I'm planning on using a doomlord and forsworn. I was wondering what the benefit of using fallen over warriors or barbarian horsemen is? They are obviously faster and cheaper than warriors, but have less defense and armor. The barbarian horsemen with shield and light lance seem like a decent unit to the noob me, and a unit of 15 (395 pts) doesn't cost that much more than the fallen (340 pts).

3. I want to use a sorcerer, what is the best way to keep him safe? Put him in a lump of warriors, or to keep him with units that are less of a threat? Would the aforementioned barbarian horsemen be a good bunker?

4. I see a lot of people play with 2 units of 5 dogs on the great internet. Why is this a good chaff unit? What makes it better than minimum units of barbarians or barbarian horsemen?

That's it for now. I'm sorry if any of these questions have a painfully obvious answer in a sticky somewhere.
  • Miniotaur wrote:

Hello WDG forum! I am a complete noob at 9th age, recently lured into the hobby by an active local club. Haven't played a single game. I recently made a rash(but good) decision to buy a bunch of minis to start a WDG army. I used to play skaven in my youth(in the late 90-early 00s), so I'm not completely new to the concept of fantasy wargames. And now, for my noob questions.

1. Fallen, what models are you using for this? Does hellforged armor mean they have a full plate? The WDG miniatures section is a bit hard to navigate, or is missing a few things.
    Concept wise the armour start to be ingrown into the body for the exiled ones until it manifest as a fortitude save for Forsaken One.
    Model wise there are lot to choose from but it mostly depends on your own preferred style, for me ROTTEN FACTORY probably come closest with what I imagine.

2. I'm planning on using a doomlord and forsworn. I was wondering what the benefit of using fallen over warriors or barbarian horsemen is? They are obviously faster and cheaper than warriors, but have less defense and armor. The barbarian horsemen with shield and light lance seem like a decent unit to the noob me, and a unit of 15 (395 pts) doesn't cost that much more than the fallen (340 pts).
    Its more about play styles I would say, with a big warrior unit you get another fighting block, the risk is then that the list feels a bit slow, Big Horsemean unit is unusual but not unseen, but quite hard to manurer due to the footprint.
    Bigger Fallen units is a new thing with latest update so we will see how they fare.
    3. I want to use a sorcerer, what is the best way to keep him safe? Put him in a lump of warriors, or to keep him with units that are less of a threat? Would the aforementioned barbarian horsemen be a good bunker?
    Given that Barbarians got cheaper they can now act as bunker for its price, but you always have the problem of that unit only costing points for being a shelter, so the other options is as you write in warriors but geared up a bit to not become the main target in there or on horse/chariot/battle shrine, those are more riskier but give more utility for the army.

4. I see a lot of people play with 2 units of 5 dogs on the great internet. Why is this a good chaff unit? What makes it better than minimum units of barbarians or barbarian horsemen?

That's it for now. I'm sorry if any of these questions have a painfully obvious answer in a sticky somewhere.
    Speed and cost, War hounds is pretty much only used to chaff and as such is lost points in most games so you would like to minimize that.

ADT (DL/WDG)

:DL: + :WDG:

Task2 (DL) Coordinator

:DL:

Design coordinator Task (1-2)

:DL: + :WDG:

Lord of the Hobby

• AlFiKa wrote:

Concept wise the armour start to be ingrown into the body for the exiled ones until it manifest as a fortitude save for Forsaken One.Model wise there are lot to choose from but it mostly depends on your own preferred style, for me ROTTEN FACTORY probably come closest with what I imagine.
    Ah ok, thanks! The rotten factory models look sick! I was already planning to make the army nurgly, so this is right up my alley. Or convert something like @Auto2, maybe from GW bloodreavers with lots of putty tentacles.

AlFiKa wrote:

Its more about play styles I would say, with a big warrior unit you get another fighting block, the risk is then that the list feels a bit slow, Big Horsemean unit is unusual but not unseen, but quite hard to manurer due to the footprint.
    Ok I see. This is stuff I just don't understand yet, but I can see how that would be a problem.

AlFiKa wrote:

Speed and cost, War hounds is pretty much only used to chaff and as such is lost points in most games so you would like to minimize that.
    Yea that was what I thought, but doesn't the 5 armor of the horsemen make them more "effective" 5 wounds for the cost? Or is the insignificant rule that beneficial as chaff?
  • Miniotaur wrote:

Yea that was what I thought, but doesn't the 5 armor of the horsemen make them more "effective" 5 wounds for the cost? Or is the insignificant rule that beneficial as chaff?
    For chaff you want two things: fast/ manoeuvrable and cheap.

Hounds are fast because they can move 22'' in a turn with their unleash rule.

5 Horsemen can be used as chaff, but they are more expensive and slower. For chaff I would use flayers over horsemen because they are faster (20'') and have light troops which makes them excellent chaff. This is because they can manoeuvre to the exact position you need super easily. For this you pay a bit more.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Auto2 ().

• Miniotaur wrote:

Forsaken from GW, though as mine aren’t painted yet I’ll use a proxy if playing a fully painted opponent.

Bodyguard is the big one. Getting rerollable Dis9 in a unit which is difficult to move is quite useful. The Doomlord generally makes up for the low damage output.

I run mine in my warrior block with enough armour to make him combat res inefficient. However there is good argument for putting him on a disc and playing with line of sight. It will come down to if you prefer a buff-style caster or direct damage probably.

The two units of dogs are often used to hold an opponent in place if you take first turn by pushing them right up in front of their line and making them charge or manoeuvre around them. They are good for getting in the way of line of sight for shooting also, which gives you a turn less of being peppered before reaching combat.

I really like Flayers for chaff though am using a combo of them and Fallen at the moment as the Fallen make quite good anti-chaff as well as putting a lone survivor in exactly the right spot to create the most havoc.

"The combination of lemon and habenero peppers was confusing to me. I will pay for this tomorrow i think." - Rosanjin Scholar, Iron Chef
  • Next to Warhounds, I also use Chimera's as "heavy chaff".

Pro's
    - More resilient to shooting and as single model, no panic checks when taking ranged wounds
    - Single model with 20" march so very maneuverable
    - Statline to threaten small units or backlines (warmachines, archers, chaff) and charge dependent units (human/elf cav with lances)
    - Can flee with descent independent dis 8
    - Nice to sacrifice a wound from every now and then for Occultism

Cons
    - expansive
    - vulnerable to divination
    - Large and towering presence
    :UD: :WDG: :DE:
  • Yep 2 units of dogs, 1 flayers is the minimum chaff setup for me unless you take 2 flying lords. Push at least one unit of dogs turnn one, keep flayers for later game when needed
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
  • Miniotaur wrote:

Hey Umbranar, yea I want to try chimeras instead of dogs. My only problem is finding the pts for them. I kinda feel they overlap a bit with fallen as a bit more expensive chaff that can kill other chaff.
    the MAIN difference is: dogs / fallens are from core, chimera is not. You have to fill up 20% core and pay a tax.
    Within that obligatory 900 pts you still can cover your chaff needs, even if there are not that sexy as those from other slots.
  • Display Spoiler

[1875] Characters
    [850] Exalted Herald
    [685] Chosen Lord – General, Idol of Spite, Karkadan, Favour of Gluttony, Warband Standard, Burning Portent, Dragonfire Gem, Wasteland Torch
    [340] SorcererWizard Adept (Alchemy), Rod of Battle, Plate Armour, Ranger Boots, Alchemist’s Alloy
    [1080] Core
    [835] 20 Warriors – Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Great Weapons, Favour of Wrath, Zealot’s Banner
    [245] 10 Fallen

[1542] Special
    [90] 5 Warhounds
    [200] Chimera
    [200] Chimera
    [572] 4 Feldrak – Musician, Standard Bearer, Great Weapons, Banner of Discipline
    [480] 3 Chosen Knights – Champion, Musician, Favour of Gluttony

Total: 4497

In the spoiler my list.

Chaff:
    Fallen are the mobile carrier for my sorcerer but in emergencies the sorcerer can bail out to join the warriors while the fallen go stand in the way somewhere. Not very cheap but potentially dangerous and a savior for for one of my combat units.
    Warhounds are turn 1 throw away to chaff up as much as I can while the rest of the army gets in position.
    Chimera's are on heavy chaff duty but might threaten small units or hunt for warmachines.
    :UD: :WDG: :DE:
  • umbranar wrote:

Chaff:Fallen are the mobile carrier for my sorcerer but in emergencies the sorcerer can bail out to join the warriors while the fallen go stand in the way somewhere. Not very cheap but potentially dangerous and a savior for for one of my combat units.
    Warhounds are turn 1 throw away to chaff up as much as I can while the rest of the army gets in position.
    Chimera's are on heavy chaff duty but might threaten small units or hunt for warmachines.
    Aaa, I didn't notice the sorcerers don't have path of the favoured. I guess I will just have to squeeze the chimeras in somehow and try it out.