Errata - drain magic / rune of revocation

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Errata - drain magic / rune of revocation

I have hard time to understand the purpose of the new wording :

All spells with duration One Turn affecting for which the target of Drain Magic was the spells' target immediately come to an end . If (note that if any of these spells had more than one target, their effects also end for these targets ) .
    After an initial reflexion I see nothing that change.
    After a bit talking it appear it can interact with chilling howl of shamanism, and only if trying to dispel via a non-trageted unit of the original spell. Am I right for this one ?
    Did I miss something else ?

The new formula seems counter intuitive to me, and the intend even less clear. And the interaction avoided is clearly not because it was overpowered.
    So, I'd like to be more told about this change in order to implement it properly for the french version.
    1 - Start of the Charge Phase (and start of the Player Turn)
    2 - The Active Player chooses a unit and declares a Charge
  • Second question, about the add for Panic Tests :

• In a single phase, the unit suffers Health Point losses equal to or greater than 25% of the number of Health
    Points that it had at the start of the phase. This does not apply to single model units that started the game as a
    single model (i.e. with a starting number of 1 model on the Army List). Ignore Health Point losses suffered
    while Engaged in Combat.

It's already covered by the last sentence :

Units do not take Panic Tests if they are Engaged in Combat, if they are already Fleeing, or if they already passed a
    Panic Test during this phase.

My first though is that add seems more confusing (does this means that other circumstance differs ? obviously no but this add suggest it). Wasn't it better to just displace the last sentence to a more visible place, like being the second/first of the rule :
    A Panic Test is a Discipline Test. Units that are not Engaged in Combat, already fleeing or that have already passed a Panic Test during this Phase have to take a Panic Test immediately after any of the following situations arise:
    1 - Start of the Charge Phase (and start of the Player Turn)
    2 - The Active Player chooses a unit and declares a Charge
  • Minidudul wrote:

I have hard time to understand the purpose of the new wording :

All spells with duration One Turn affecting for which the target of Drain Magic was the spells' target immediately come to an end . If (note that if any of these spells had more than one target, their effects also end for these targets ) .
    After an initial reflexion I see nothing that change.After a bit talking it appear it can interact with chilling howl of shamanism, and only if trying to dispel via a non-trageted unit of the original spell. Am I right for this one ?
    Did I miss something else ?

The new formula seems counter intuitive to me, and the intend even less clear. And the interaction avoided is clearly not because it was overpowered.
    So, I'd like to be more told about this change in order to implement it properly for the french version.
    "Being affected by a spell" is not properly defined:

Eisenheinrich wrote:

Obviously the target of a spell is affected by a spell.Then there are spells that directly mention an effect to units other than the target of the spell, such as chilling howl and the BH and SE hereditary spells.
    And then there are spells that more or less indirectly affect units other than the target unit, like the target of the sweeping attack from raven's wing, friendly units that get to reroll to-wound/to-hit rolls from the DE/OnG hereditary spell, etc.
    And probably units summoned from spells should also be considered "affected by the spell" while not being the actual target of the spell.
    Introducing such a definition would have been a lot more complex than restricting the two effects above to the actual targets of a spell.

Minidudul wrote:

Second question, about the add for Panic Tests :

• In a single phase, the unit suffers Health Point losses equal to or greater than 25% of the number of Health
    Points that it had at the start of the phase. This does not apply to single model units that started the game as a
    single model (i.e. with a starting number of 1 model on the Army List). Ignore Health Point losses suffered
    while Engaged in Combat.
    It's already covered by the last sentence :
    Units do not take Panic Tests if they are Engaged in Combat, if they are already Fleeing, or if they already passed a
    Panic Test during this phase.
    My first though is that add seems more confusing (does this means that other circumstance differs ? obviously no but this add suggest it). Wasn't it better to just displace the last sentence to a more visible place, like being the second/first of the rule :
    A Panic Test is a Discipline Test. Units that are not Engaged in Combat, already fleeing or that have already passed a Panic Test during this Phase have to take a Panic Test immediately after any of the following situations arise:
    Imagine a unit with 20 models with 1 HP each, engaged in combat, suffering 4 health point losses in combat, breaking the enemy unit, pursuing the enemy unit, and suffering 1 HP loss from a failed dangerous terrain test. Before the erratum, you had to take a panic test at that point (since you lost 25% of your HP in a single phase). I doubt a lot of people played that right (I didn't ;) ). That's not how it is supposed to work, hence the erratum.