Wasteland Warriors bringing the pain!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Wasteland Warriors bringing the pain!

I'm having a lot of problems dealing with this unit. My opponent fields 24 Warriors with Great Weapons and bearing the Zealots banner in an 8x3 configuration. I hit it with two shots from a Titan Mortar, he took two turns of DTs, made it into combat with my Immortals (12 models left) and butchered my unit over three turns. I can't find anything in our arsenal that can stand up to them (and they're core so he actually brings two or even three identical units of them). Any thoughts?

Executive Board

Administrator

Human Resources

Want to help out? The 9th Age is an all volunteer organization and we're always looking for like-minded folks! Message me if you are interested!!
    • Grimbold Blackhammer wrote:

I'm having a lot of problems dealing with this unit. My opponent fields 24 Warriors with Great Weapons and bearing the Zealots banner in an 8x3 configuration. I hit it with two shots from a Titan Mortar, he took two turns of DTs, made it into combat with my Immortals (12 models left) and butchered my unit over three turns. I can't find anything in our arsenal that can stand up to them (and they're core so he actually brings two or even three identical units of them). Any thoughts?

(A) Flank it ;)
      (B) Overlord with 1+ and regen and onyx core. This won't do it by itself, but gives you time to achieve (A).
      (C) I've only done the maths quickly, but I think 1+ castings of corruption of tin then 6 kadims. Since they have great weapons, you don't even need the charge. And the more damage you can do with shooting beforehand the better, because it means more kadims are left at the end.
      (D) Similarly, a big block of disciples of lugar with rending banner, and preferably 1+castings of corruption of tin same as (C).
      (I am assuming they are flammable in both (C) and (D), because frankly, if they aren't, you're doing it wrong :P )

Of course, these answers are in a vacuum. It is more complicated when the context is 2 4500pt lists.
      Last time I played against a list with this unit in, I killed everything else and let these guys kill a couple of units... in a way that lead them away from the objective and allowed me to kill most of the rest of the opposing army. The game finished somewhere between 15 and 17 to me I think. The lesson here is... do you need to kill them?
      Being supportive & giving useful criticism aren't mutually exclusive.
      Are you supportive of the project? Do your posts reflect that?

List repository and links HERE
      Basic beginners tactics HERE
    • Yes because he has two units of them :(

Kadim Incarnates rerolling to wound only do 7 wounds before the Warriors swing so they aren't an answer. Disciples are no better off. An Overlord kills 4 and takes a wound in return so he's a roadblock but nothing more.

Executive Board

Administrator

Human Resources

Want to help out? The 9th Age is an all volunteer organization and we're always looking for like-minded folks! Message me if you are interested!!
    • First time I faced them, I had a unit of Great Weapon Infernal Warriors with flaming+flammable see them off.

Granted I did this more because of sheer weight of numbers over anything else.

And there was only one of them.
      If there were 2? I would probably have pressed multiple units into them; taking them out on at a time.

Lord of the Hobby

The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog
    • Grimbold Blackhammer wrote:

Yes because he has two units of them :(

Kadim Incarnates rerolling to wound only do 7 wounds before the Warriors swing so they aren't an answer. Disciples are no better off. An Overlord kills 4 and takes a wound in return so he's a roadblock but nothing more.
      Hold on, let me lay out my maths and you can say where you differ.

18 attacks, on 4s, with battlefocus=12 hits.
      8/9 wound, and no saves if a single corruption of tin as I stated.
      So that is 10 or 11 dead. Say 10.
      Your frontage is 120mm, so 6/8 warriors can fight back in the front rank, then 6 in the back rank.
      That is 24 attacks, hitting on 3s, wounding on 2s, 5++ aegis=24*2/3*5/6*2/3=9 wounds.
      Then the kadims do 3 stomps=8/3 wounds and 6 burns, which do 6*3/4*2/3=3.
      so lets round down again, that is another 5 dead warriors.
      Next round is 3 kadim vs 9 warriors.
      3 kadim kill 5 before the warriors strike. The 4 warriors kill another kadim, then get stomped and burnt again. If a single warrior survives, he should break.

If you kill e.g. 6 before going on (shouldn't be too hard) then you have reasonable odds of going out the other side with 4-5 kadims left.

Let's take 20 (8,8,4) disciples with the rending banner, again assuming a single instance of corruption of tin.
      28*2/3*3/4=14 dead warriors.
      Then 7-8 dead disciples, and 4 more warriors die to burns. The remaining warriors die next turn before striking.

So what have I done wrong here? Which bits do you disagree with?

With the overlord, the point is he takes the charge, holds, then you flank and the warriors die/break. The overlord should survive too.

As I said, its all context dependent of course. Well built ID shouldn't be at a significant disadvantage vs WotDG though.

Edit: I also think the 5 anointed + subjuator bsb in my latest list (see my blog) does it, but loses most of the unit in the process. If you can shoot 2-3 off before they go in, then they might even break the unit on the charge.

If you shoot maybe 6 off, I think a titan has a chance of breaking them if it charges, but this is a high risk play.

The post was edited 1 time, last by DanT ().

• Your math came out different than my math. I'll have to re-math my math to make sure your math is better math than my math. I think I forgot the Battle Focus which shifts it.

Executive Board

Administrator

Human Resources

• Of course, remember that even if the averages show Incarnate coming out on top, it still seems like it's a real tight run here- if the battle focus or the 5++ aegis don't show up, the highly reliable To Hit/To Wound of the Warriors could be troublesome.

What about just tarpitting it? I know ID players do this surprisingly rarely, but why not 40 Slaves with HW/S going deep?

Edit: Conga lugars if you're feeling extra cheeky?
    • Squigkikka wrote:

Of course, remember that even if the averages show Incarnate coming out on top, it still seems like it's a real tight run here- if the battle focus or the 5++ aegis don't show up, the highly reliable To Hit/To Wound of the Warriors could be troublesome.

What about just tarpitting it? I know ID players do this surprisingly rarely, but why not 40 Slaves with HW/S going deep?

Edit: Conga lugars if you're feeling extra cheeky?
      Right, but ID strike first, so have the first chance to be lucky too :)

• They are basically the slowest unit in the game, so deployment matters.

Also, if you can tempt them into a mid-range charge and flee it (depends on overall battlefield situation whether this is possible), you might be able to buy yourself an extra turn.

If the two wotg units are deployed next to each other, a single unit of wolfriders could delay both units for a turn (be careful of the overrun paths).

Let us know how you get on next time, and which of these ideas mattered in the end :)
      Also, posting a complete WotDG list might help to give more targetted advice.

• This was his last list...
      Exalted Herald (he tries to drop comets all game)
      Chosen Lord of Gluttony (Warband Standard) - Halberd, Immortal Gauntlets, Rod of Battle, Entropic Aura, and riding a Karkadan
      24 Wasteland Warriors w/ Full Command - Great Weapons and bearing the Zealots Banner
      24 Wasteland Warriors w/ Full Command - Great Weapons and bearing the Zealots Banner
      17 Barbarians (meat shield for the warriors)
      17 Barbarians (meat shield for the warriors)
      5 Chosen Knights of Gluttony w/ Full Command
      1 Warrior Chariot
      5 Warhounds
      5 Warhounds

Basically 3 battleship units plus some supporting stuff. It's rather brutal in its efficiency!

Executive Board

Administrator

Human Resources