[Veil of the Ages] The Ninth Age @ Essen SPIEL

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• [Veil of the Ages] The Ninth Age @ Essen SPIEL

dear all,
      have you heard of the Essen Game Fair, also called Internationale Spieltage SPIEL?

Wikipedia (2016) wrote:

With 1,021 exhibitors from 50 nations, SPIEL is the worldwide biggest fair for board games

i went there as a simple visitor, two years ago, met @DJWoodelf, and started collaborating on the QuickStarter.
      i went there last year too, as a guy with a project, i met @Little Joe and @Frederick, and decided to get real and start the Veil of the Ages adventure.
      i'm gonna go there this year as well, as a company with a stand, and i look forward to meet as many of you as possible.

there's probably gonna be some 200.000 people at the event, so this is a huge promotional opportunity for The Ninth Age. after the Veil of the Ages Kickstarter, i am now in the position of making an investment, rent a small booth, bring my own products, and open the space i'll have available for more T9A demonstrations and fun. if anyone wants to help out, i am happy to synergise with you: we could surely use a helping hand with logistics, equipment, material and demonstrators.

- bring a few minis and some painting equipment, sit with us for a couple hours, and show visitors how to do some basic painting
      - come with your beautiful army and play a T9A full game with some new forum friends
      - pack some of your terrain and help us create a beautiful table
      - bring your beautifully home-printed T9A books and show the world how cool we are
      - read the QuickStarter rules and be a demonstrator for our visitors
      - show up with a mobile hotspot and help us livestream a few demo or interview videos
      - lend us tables and chairs from your club, so we can look as snazzy as possible
      - just come say hi, have a drink and a chat with us, bring some positive energy

if The Ninth Age wants a departure point for world-class promotion, Veil of the Ages is happy to provide some space.
      i really look forward to meeting as many of you as possible in Essen (Germany), 24-27 Oct 2019!
      cheers,
      f

click the logo and reach the KickStarter page!
    • @piteglio - as you know: if my wife does not insist me going on holidays that weekend i´ll be there with you and most of the sstuff you ask for i can easiely provide from our club including transport :)

I btw feel like it would be a golden opportunity just to double size of the booth by having T9A adding some money for extra square-meters. If so i´d even offer doing material for a proper stand. It´s just that i´m not willing to put money into it without the project showing interest and support for all this ...
      WTC OPEN 2020 - 25.-26.04.2020 in Amsterdam
      an official T9A event
    • it'll be great to meet you both, Kahlek! does he play T9A too?
      Fred, you check with the lady of the castle, and let us know what's doable!
      Flo, the way i read it is 104€/sqm, but if you wanna go beyond the size of the booth i'll book, there's a 358€ fee to pay first.
      so adding one extra square meter would be 462€, but adding ten extra square meter would be 1398€.
      i can ask if this is truly the case, but, in their own words:

Spiel website wrote:

Prices:
      Thanks to the option of booking inexpensive “10 sqm-mini-booths”, from 682,– EUR + VAT up, the Essen SPIEL also enjoys the presence of inventor booths, small publishers and toy manufacturers. All exhibitors are free to sell their products on the fair. Thus the Essen SPIEL offers a big chance of introducing small, risky productions to the market and helps to get a few steps further towards – at least – break even point; either by selling the product directly to the consumer, or by licensing the product over to other, maybe bigger manufacturers. Apart from the special “10 sqm-mini-booth” prices the basic price per square meter for booths bigger than 10 sqm is 104,00 EUR + VAT.

Deadline:
      The deadline for bookings (strictly to be observed!) is May 15th, 2019.

i am taking a 682€ / 10sqm booth, and adding the cost for electricity (there'll be some T9A videogame action on a beamer, as you know if you've seen pictures of the Veil of the Ages stands from the past - see picture gallery in the spoiler below). sadly, anything above these costs would go beyond my possibilities, so if you guys think extra expo space is good, i hope we can find alternative ways to fund it : )
      cheers,
      f

• Deadline is on 15.05? Ehm, please ask with a concret request for a decison on that earlier next time to see if it is possible. Alomst 500€ for an extra meter is above what I would personally invest.

If it helps somehow I will personally invest 100 €.

Advisary Board Member

Workfields: Tournament Analysis, Army Community Support, Playtesting, Community Engagement, Translation/ United Nations Blog: Inside TA. Admin of the biggest german Tabletop Board: tabletopwelt.de We want you to join the project and apply to staff.
    • deadline:
      yes, i raised the issue a while back in another thread, but saw a cold response from many people on staff. so i took the time i needed to look into my finances, and announced what was possible for me to do. that's also the reason why in my original post i was rather asking for support in terms of bringing material and expertise, rather than in terms of buying squaremeters : )

also - damn, i missed it, what did LichKing write in there? : D

• I think that T9A is better served to do a test run at CRISIS or other events where free demo games are part of the setup. Small steps, first create more waves in the tabletop wargaming community. There is more time to plan that and besides volunteers bringing time and gear, it is free.

@piteglio: Being a business, SPIEL is a great place to continue promoting.

piteglio wrote:

dear all,
      have you heard of the Essen Game Fair, also called Internationale Spieltage SPIEL?

Wikipedia (2016) wrote:

With 1,021 exhibitors from 50 nations, SPIEL is the worldwide biggest fair for board games
      *snip*

- bring a few minis and some painting equipment, sit with us for a couple hours, and show visitors how to do some basic painting Only good if you can do it interactive, otherwise all space should be presentation. Also waste, you do not want that.
      - come with your beautiful army and play a T9A full game with some new forum friends. This might work, depends on room, be careful to not distract from YOUR product.
      - pack some of your terrain and help us create a beautiful table. Organize in advance, make sure you have redundancy for emergencies.
      - bring your beautifully home-printed T9A books and show the world how cool we are. Combine with gaming, small booth gift for those with a rulebook.
      - read the QuickStarter rules and be a demonstrator for our visitors. V2?
      - show up with a mobile hotspot and help us livestream a few demo or interview videos. Again planning and redundancies. I believe SPIEL has WIFI, not sure.
      - lend us tables and chairs from your club, so we can look as snazzy as possible. Presentation matters, plan ahead and plan with redundancies. Needs a floor plan of the booth.
      - just come say hi, have a drink and a chat with us, bring some positive energy. Bring a mead and get a small gift, you will be so drunk, lol. There are 2 booths with mead and beer, outsource where you can.

if The Ninth Age wants a departure point for world-class promotion, Veil of the Ages is happy to provide some space. Plan carefully, after video presentation and demo table, is there enough room for a gaming table?
      i really look forward to meeting as many of you as possible in Essen (Germany), 24-27 Oct 2019!
      cheers,
      f
      Lol, 4 days ... :thumbsup: Enough time to plan once done. Step 1: draw a floor plan, then we talk.

You know how I comment, so read all as positive notes! :saint:

EDIT: AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: A FEMALE DEMO TEAM! 8o
    • piteglio wrote:

deadline:
      yes, i raised the issue a while back in another thread, but saw a cold response from many people on staff. so i took the time i needed to look into my finances, and announced what was possible for me to do. that's also the reason why in my original post i was rather asking for support in terms of bringing material and expertise, rather than in terms of buying squaremeters : )

I fully understand you. My experience is, that knowing concrete plans or better concrete sums make people far more aligned to help or to provide.

I am a pity I wont be able to be there, but I will help with the promised money.

Advisary Board Member

Workfields: Tournament Analysis, Army Community Support, Playtesting, Community Engagement, Translation/ United Nations Blog: Inside TA. Admin of the biggest german Tabletop Board: tabletopwelt.de We want you to join the project and apply to staff.
    • Just_Flo wrote:

Deadline is on 15.05? Ehm, please ask with a concret request for a decison on that earlier next time to see if it is possible. Alomst 500€ for an extra meter is above what I would personally invest.

If it helps somehow I will personally invest 100 €.
      time goes by so quickly. :panic:

Quick Starter Team

Playtester

• i think this one is just for VoA. and i think that makes 100% sense and allows for any freedom Francesco needs. Adding a 10sqm T9A booth next to it will just be super synergizing for both.

I´m in Essen at the Spiel every year and i do not think there is a place where you can draw more attention or get in touch with companies for example who might be interested in creating models for T9A. It is a breeding pit that should not be missed out.
      WTC OPEN 2020 - 25.-26.04.2020 in Amsterdam
      an official T9A event
    • Can T9A rent a booth, just a practical question because there is no legal entity. It would matter for insurance and such things.

Basically I am fine with a round of holding up the hat, if it fails the servers will run more secure or we can buy big banners and stuff.
    • yes, DJW, i thought of merging the two topics, but i thought it was less "spammy" to open my own thread. also, now that i am a Supporting Company, i don't have access to those subforums anymore (stop rubbing salt into the wound!) : D

and i agree - an extra booth close to mine would be the most convenient choice, if at all doable. but as Fred rightly points out, this would be a parallel operation to the Veil of the Ages stand, with different decision-making rules. so i guess i'll do my reservation, and still of course keep my booth open for a T9A demonstration, in case you guys want to do that! and, if you do manage to collect enough support for some T9A-sponsored space, having two booths next to each other would indeed be amazing!

Kahlek - no worries there, i'll bring a prototype of The Breach. i have already played with 6 year olds, it works like a charm! you'll see, he'll like the game : )

LJ - great feedback as always... especially now that i have learnt not to get discouraged too easily by your criticism! : D
      i will make sure there's enought leeway and redundancies. and i'll also try to remember to push my own products (and try to get back at least some of my investments!). more importantly, i am 100% with you - the girlz demo team will totally be a thing! i mean, T9A it's already getting the attention of some girls on facebook - that little Makhar vs Asklander battlereport i just posted might have just won us another pink soul to the game ; )

The post was edited 1 time, last by piteglio ().

• 2020 I could schedule ma tourney Hostings in a way that I am avaiable. Than I could try to for a Crew for a tabletopwelt.de stand and try to raise the Money (or half of it for that on that board and the rest here and try to reactivate the TTW RPC demo Crew and smuggle in a T9A demo from my side and recruit some demo guys from here.

But that is future Music.

Advisary Board Member

• piteglio wrote:

deadline:

Hahaha, well I've been sitting at an indoor playground with at least 200 kids around me. My younger boy became 7 years old yesterday and so we decided to invite some of his class mates (only 5 of the 200 kids around me). When they went to join the others at a bouncy castle I turned my smartphone on to have a look at the T9A forum. Reading through the answers here I wanted to make an epic Meme to take part in this conversation. But uploading attachments with the smartphone to this forum is a pain. So I had to delete it and wait untill I get to my pc. :D

What I really wanted to say is...

I may not often agree with Fred...but when I do...

30pvv1.jpg

30pvl7.jpg

We really need to rock the SPIEL! Show T9A to the world. Make them become believers of the only game on market that truly deserves to be called a 'wargame'. The one game to subjugate them all. :D

Full Layout Coordinator

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages