CHILDREN OF YMIRON - OFFICIAL THREAD

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

    Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

    • CHILDREN OF YMIRON - OFFICIAL THREAD

      "The Nauticans are a secretive and ancient race, whose chronicles date back to when the world was young and there were no land dwellers. Proud and aware of their heritage, the Nauticans worship Ymiron and value what they perceive as a close and personal relationship with this creator-god.
      Nauticans are the undisputed masters of the ocean and all those who call it their home, able to put the ocean's resources to devastating use should they be provoked. Few can claim to know much at all about the Nauticans but with ever-increasing clashes with the land dwellers above, a new and more volatile future has been forced upon them.

      "To change or be changed" is a constant mantra heard around the halls of influence in Nautican society. It is now up to you and your generalship to decide what the future will hold for the ancient Nauticans!"




      Hello fellow wargamers and welcome to the official thread for the Children of Ymiron. In this thread I am finally presenting an army long in the making. A Homebrew with lots of love, time and playtesting (including tournaments) behind it. I feel that the book finally is at a point where it can be shared to the community as a whole - ready to be analyzed and played by a wider audience.

      I strongly suggest people who are new to the army take the time to watch my youtube video review of the army book where I walk you through the book and give an overview and commentary of the rules and units. It will probably save me some FAQs as I also take the time to mention why some things are designed the way they are.

      I have provided a short "author's note" on the first page of the PDF itself for those who want to jump straight into the book itself. But once again, please take the time to listen to the video review if possible. Also, I recommend downloading the PDF from the dropbox link for a better viewing experience.
      Now, this is just the beginning and the Children of Ymiron are here to stay long term. I strongly encourage you all to engage with this army not only in this thread but elsewhere. I always listen to all feedback and then make educated decisions so if you want to help make this army book the best that it can be, whether it be artwork, background or rules - please let me know in this thread or through PM. A long-term goal would be to replace all the copyrighted artwork into something our community has created, so that greater freedom in how the book is distributed can be attained.

      I am currently experimenting with physical copies of this book on different sites to find a affordable but high-quality option. so anyone who would be interested in getting their hands on a physical copy will be able to do so with no effort on their own.

      The post was edited 3 times, last by Goatrek ().

    • I like what I see after a quick page through, but was a bit surprised that you didn't include any Anti-Matter figures from DeepWars as available figures for units/heroes. Kings of War does have a nice selection of land based mariners and I like many of their models. However, Anti-Matter has lots of figures that would work, but especially the Dark Marines and Scaly Horde models. They also have a new Kraken model that looks great.



      Thanks again for all the great work, time and effort you have put into this, I hope it becomes an officially army along with some of the others in the home brewed lists. 8-)

      antimatter-games.com/product-category/miniatures/
      ~Good Cheer to All~
      Larry

      :VC: Nosferatu :UD_bw: Terracotta Army
    • you might need to fix armor save and special saves presenstatio. The new convention is to not calculate it like you have.

      For example if a model only has innate defense 1, this would be listed on defense equipment line but AS stat would be 0 or -.

      The player then see Inate and must calculate 6+. The the way you have it listed implies 5+ AS. Similarly You list regen1 then auto calculate and enter Special save 6+. Regen rule needs defining and not place in stat line to be consistent with current 9th age displays
    • msu117 wrote:

      you might need to fix armor save and special saves presenstatio. The new convention is to not calculate it like you have.

      For example if a model only has innate defense 1, this would be listed on defense equipment line but AS stat would be 0 or -.

      The player then see Inate and must calculate 6+. The the way you have it listed implies 5+ AS. Similarly You list regen1 then auto calculate and enter Special save 6+. Regen rule needs defining and not place in stat line to be consistent with current 9th age displays
      I'm pretty sure the Innate Defence rule was taken out in favor of just simply putting the ARM value up by 1 for each instance.

      So Innate Defence (3) would simply be noted as ARM 3 in the unit entry, instead of the special rules.

      Some notes:
      - Love the book
      - Some rules are obsolete such as Innate Defence.
      - Re-work some units to have up to date rules, such as giving Stand Behind to the 60x40 unit filler beastie in the core unit. Makes it easier to understand instead of having a giant box explaining how he works.
      - update the global, defensive, and offensive entry lines. The new ones in 2.0 are easier to follow.

      Otherwise the book is super amazing! And I wish I was close enough to you to play the army!

      Maybe we can UB someday, I would love to try my hand against this army!
    • Goatrek wrote:

      @msu117
      @BrykJagz

      Thanks for the feedback on layout. Already very valuable. I remember many months ago deliberately choosing to stay with the old stat presentation because I thought it to be more clear but to keep it coherent I'll go in and rework it.
      No worries!
      I'm in love with this concept, and I do wish this book would become official. But RT has already told everyone 100 times that it wont be considering homebrew for official books for the next few years.
      Just gives you time to update, test, and have fun with the book until than!

      msu117 wrote:

      Exactly but if the model has armor it is added to the as stat line in this book from what I can decipher.

      AS stat line now includes innates and any mounted bonus but light armor heavy armor shields are not auto calculated into stat lines by the latest 9th entry convention.
      Indeed. Arm value in the defense statline does include Innate defence, and mounts Arm is always characterized as C+X where C means the Riders Arm value in their entry, + X being a specific value from the mount itself.
      And yeah, armor and shields are not included in the stat line. So most of the entries in the book should be:

      Arm 1, rules: Light Armor, Shield.

      Instead of:

      AS 4+, rules: innate defence (1), light armor, shield.

      For example.
    • Good stuff! Already much better. I'll read the book through more thoroughly a few times and let you know of some instances where the 2.0 rulebooks could come in handy with simplifying unit entries.

      First thing I noticed is Regeneration.

      1. T9A had to get ride of that specific word from their rulebooks because of certain "copyright" infringements.
      2. I believe it could be incorporated into the Fortitude save currently implemented in the rulebooks. (Only difference is that your Regen is based on STR, while Fort is based on Flaming Attacks)
      3. Easy way to fix this.

      Scaly Skin (X+) - Personal Protection.
      Scaly Skin is a Special Save that a model may attempt after a failed Armor Save. The model cannot benefit from this Special Save if the attacks allocated to it had a Strength value of 7 or more.

      This way you can incorporate spells and items to benefit this Save as such:

      Spell or Item name - The affected unit/model gains Scaly Skin (+1).
      Or
      The affected unit/model gains Scaly Skin (+1, to a maximum of 4+)

      Along those lines perhaps.
    • BrykJagz wrote:

      Good stuff! Already much better. I'll read the book through more thoroughly a few times and let you know of some instances where the 2.0 rulebooks could come in handy with simplifying unit entries.

      First thing I noticed is Regeneration.

      1. T9A had to get ride of that specific word from their rulebooks because of certain "copyright" infringements.
      2. I believe it could be incorporated into the Fortitude save currently implemented in the rulebooks. (Only difference is that your Regen is based on STR, while Fort is based on Flaming Attacks)
      3. Easy way to fix this.

      Scaly Skin (X+) - Personal Protection.
      Scaly Skin is a Special Save that a model may attempt after a failed Armor Save. The model cannot benefit from this Special Save if the attacks allocated to it had a Strength value of 7 or more.

      This way you can incorporate spells and items to benefit this Save as such:

      Spell or Item name - The affected unit/model gains Scaly Skin (+1).
      Or
      The affected unit/model gains Scaly Skin (+1, to a maximum of 4+)

      Along those lines perhaps.
      Thank you again. That seems perfectly reasonable and in line with the 2.0 language of the game.

      I find it difficult to grasp how a generic word such as "regeneration" could be copyrighted. Even if we stretch it, the rules work differently. But might as well change it to make people calmer I guess.
    • JimMorr wrote:

      Really impressive Work!

      I am afraid heredity spell will be a can of worms, though. E.G. Can it be cast on shaken units? Does the move trigger Dangerous Terrain tests?
      I think it's about the same as the Raven's Wing wit craft spell. Except that it would therefore override the Shaken rule that doesnt allow the unit to perform anything.

      Ex. The unit charges and fails, become shaken and can't shoot or do anything. However it gets the hereditary cast on it, and it moves magically overriding the Shaken rule.
    • JimMorr wrote:

      Really impressive Work!

      I am afraid heredity spell will be a can of worms, though. E.G. Can it be cast on shaken units? Does the move trigger Dangerous Terrain tests?
      Great point. Will look into what type of clarification would be needed. Thanks for the feedback!

      EDIT: My initial/knee-jerk thought is that they absolutely can get in there with Surge of the Sea despite having failed a charge earlier. This is a mermaid essentially forcing them forward - animating them to push on in the thematic sense of a tidal wave crashing down. But my previous comment stands... Will have to look into possible restrictions and/or clarifications.