Question and feedback - French Inter-Région 2019

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

  • Question and feedback - French Inter-Région 2019

    Hello everyone,

    I was the referee of this team tournament (34 teams of 6, so 204 players). The week-end was great and interesting, and I come for some debrief about the rules for me, and maybe for improving the wording if necessary.

    --

    A) Things that I had to decide without being completely sure :

    - interaction between Thauma #6 Trial of faith and the VS special item Second awakening : I didn't let the reroll happen because in the spell it wasn't formuled "XDX hits". Was I right ?

    - A played stated that you can choose to not attack in CC because he can see nowhere a sentence with "must attack" and used the title "15.D.c Which Models can Attack" for his basis. I didn't find something against that argument but chose to force the attack to be made as I thinks it's more the spirit of the game and more logical in a battle.
    Where can we find something for this case ?
    (for the context : it was to avoid a giant getting more attacks and being sure the unit would have enough model to being steadfast - he told me some used it to avoid a Maw of Akaan's explosion)

    - A DE unit with altar, 5 wide was behind a wall, so 2 models with standard height, one with towering presence. The whole unit was considered as standard height. For the cover as we consider the front facing, I stated that the front facing is part of the unit so I chose to use the standard height and the unit benefited from cover. A player interpret that the front facing is formed by the models so here 3/5 of towering, 2/5 with standard and so no cover is applied.
    Which one was right ?
    Reading it now I think I guessed right, but the book is not totally clear on that, even with the errata : for the wall rule it's about models, for the cover rule it's about facing, for the unit's height and cover it's about boundary. All terms don't match well here, so it's a little confusing. (Checked the errata as well for the conclusion. It help a little but not enough to have the good argument to convince the player.)


    B) Weird things that I find in the rulebook before/during the event :


    11.A Charge Phase Sequence
    The Charge Phase is divided into the following steps:
    1 Start of the Charge Phase (and start of the Player Turn)
    2 The Active Player chooses a unit and declares a Charge
    => the sentence might say that the player have to declare a charge whatever his will :D


    11.E.k Blocked Path
    or due to the combination of at least 2 unengaged enemy units and one or more Impassable Terrain Features, it can make a special Charge Move as described below.
    => it's not "**or** one or more Impassable Terrain" ? seems it need a terrain and 2 units to make the rule applying (so almost never and the example don't match), maybe the mean is "a combination of at least 2 of those : impassaible terrain and/or unengaged units" ? With the figures the idea is well explained, but if the wording is right, it's too much complicated for me ^^.



    Thank you a lot for the answers.
    1 - Start of the Charge Phase (and start of the Player Turn)
    2 - The Active Player chooses a unit and declares a Charge
  • Minidudul wrote:

    - interaction between Thauma #6 Trial of faith and the VS special item Second awakening : I didn't let the reroll happen because in the spell it wasn't formuled "XDX hits". Was I right ?
    Nope ;) . The number of hits from Trial of faith is determined by dice, so they can be rerolled with Second awakening (however, if so, both dice have to be rerolled).

    Minidudul wrote:

    - A played stated that you can choose to not attack in CC because he can see nowhere a sentence with "must attack" and used the title "15.D.c Which Models can Attack" for his basis. I didn't find something against that argument but chose to force the attack to be made as I thinks it's more the spirit of the game and more logical in a battle.
    Where can we find something for this case ?
    (for the context : it was to avoid a giant getting more attacks and being sure the unit would have enough model to being steadfast - he told me some used it to avoid a Maw of Akaan's explosion)
    You were right. You do not have the option not to attack:
    <
    15 Melee Phase
    In the Melee Phase, both players’ units Engaged in Combat must attack.

    15.D.a Initiative Order
    (...) The order starts at Initiative Step 10 with all attacks with Agility 10, and is resolved downwards to Initiative Step 0 with all attacks with Agility 0.
    At each Initiative Step, all attacks from this step that meet the necessary requirements (see Which Models can Attack, below) strike simultaneously.
    >

    Minidudul wrote:

    - A DE unit with altar, 5 wide was behind a wall, so 2 models with standard height, one with towering presence. The whole unit was considered as standard height. For the cover as we consider the front facing, I stated that the front facing is part of the unit so I chose to use the standard height and the unit benefited from cover. A player interpret that the front facing is formed by the models so here 3/5 of towering, 2/5 with standard and so no cover is applied.
    Which one was right ?
    Reading it now I think I guessed right, but the book is not totally clear on that, even with the errata : for the wall rule it's about models, for the cover rule it's about facing, for the unit's height and cover it's about boundary. All terms don't match well here, so it's a little confusing. (Checked the errata as well for the conclusion. It help a little but not enough to have the good argument to convince the player.)
    You're right, the rules aren't clear on this. This will be fixed soon (see here).

    Minidudul wrote:

    11.E.k Blocked Path
    or due to the combination of at least 2 unengaged enemy units and one or more Impassable Terrain Features, it can make a special Charge Move as described below.
    => it's not "**or** one or more Impassable Terrain" ? seems it need a terrain and 2 units to make the rule applying
    Correct. For blocked path to apply you need either
    1) unengaged enemy units (number doesn't matter, but friendly units and/or engaged units cannot be involved)
    or
    2) 2+ unengaged enemy units and 1+ impassable terrain

    Imo this is exactly what figure 21 shows.
    In a), the 2 unengaged enemy units prevent the "regular" charge.
    In b), the combination of 2 unengaged enemy units and 1 impassable terrain prevents the "regular" charge.
  • For the last (blocked path), I think my way of thinking don't involve the target of the charge in the list of what is needed to apply the rule. So for me there is always one more item in the wording. A simple "including the target of the charge" would have let me understand far better. :)

    Thanks !
    1 - Start of the Charge Phase (and start of the Player Turn)
    2 - The Active Player chooses a unit and declares a Charge
  • Minidudul wrote:

    For the last (blocked path), I think my way of thinking don't involve the target of the charge in the list of what is needed to apply the rule. So for me there is always one more item in the wording. A simple "including the target of the charge" would have let me understand far better.
    Yeah, that would probably make the rule easier to understand, but at this point that would imply creating an erratum, and I don't think it's important enough for an actual erratum.