Disciples of Lugar lore

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Disciples of Lugar lore

Hi,

As I am slowly getting to paint my 9th Age army I need some inspiration. First unit that I will paint will be the Disciples of Lugar. As far as theres no full army book with fluff I am completly clueless when it comes to appereance of them.
      I knows they are frenzied Warriors based on WH slayers but evil and chaotic. As well as they have vulcanic embrace rule which is related to firespawn monsters. Not to mention they are in Binders category of unit.
      My question is: are they somekind of possessed chaos dwarfs? Maybe "blessed" by Hash... Lugar i mean?
      I dont know if they are somekind changed by unholy flame of master of Darkness or they are just wielding magic flame weapons?
      I need to know this so I can paint them :D I am fluff guy as you can see.

I thought about: a) black, bazalt skin with glowing lava cracks, burning beards and eyes b) normal skin with transitions to black skin on arms, sometimes chest, normal Black hair, glowing eyes
      c) completly standard chaos dwarfs look - pale skin, Black hair, normal "human" eyes

I know for sure you guys know more about 9th Age fluff as I am a noob, and my lore knowledge is just as clean as tabula rasa :p

Thank you in advance for suggestions
    • I can't offer to much input:
      They're warrior-lawyers who made a pact with small Kadims.
      The Kadim's get to travel around and see and burn the world, in exchange they give their power to the dwarf.

I'll summon @WhammeWhamme to expand/correct on this :).

How to paint them: Well thats obviously up to you :) I went with black/ashen skin, fiery eyes and lava-glowing weapons.
      I dont think a standard dwarf look suits them as I would want to differentiate them further from normal dwarves (which they've kind of "ascended"), they aren't anymore, they're quicker as shown by their agility and even movement speed.
      Then again, its pretty much the only dwarf skin you're gonna see in an Infernal Dwarf army, so some light skin colour would set them apart aswell.
    • Mrowa wrote:

Hi,

As I am slowly getting to paint my 9th Age army I need some inspiration. First unit that I will paint will be the Disciples of Lugar. As far as theres no full army book with fluff I am completly clueless when it comes to appereance of them.
      I knows they are frenzied Warriors based on WH slayers but evil and chaotic. As well as they have vulcanic embrace rule which is related to firespawn monsters. Not to mention they are in Binders category of unit.
      My question is: are they somekind of possessed chaos dwarfs? Maybe "blessed" by Hash... Lugar i mean?
      I dont know if they are somekind changed by unholy flame of master of Darkness or they are just wielding magic flame weapons?
      I need to know this so I can paint them :D I am fluff guy as you can see.

I thought about: a) black, bazalt skin with glowing lava cracks, burning beards and eyes b) normal skin with transitions to black skin on arms, sometimes chest, normal Black hair, glowing eyes
      c) completly standard chaos dwarfs look - pale skin, Black hair, normal "human" eyes

I know for sure you guys know more about 9th Age fluff as I am a noob, and my lore knowledge is just as clean as tabula rasa :p

Thank you in advance for suggestions

So yeah, as Shako noted, they're not especially "evil and chaotic" OR particularly "based on WH slayers".

Infernal Dwarves are a monstrous faction, but the Disciples of Lugar (and their patron, Lugar) are pretty much the nicest guys in it. Which, to be crystal clear, is a really really low bar.

Disciples of Lugar are followers of Lugar, god of tricksters and lawyers (but I repeat myself). As Shako said, they bind smaller Kadims into their own bodies to gain the power of a small Kadim in exchange for the Kadim getting to see the world and whatnot.

This is the province of the Disciples of Lugar because it's a mystically binding contract ala a stereotypical "deal with the devil"... except the Infernal Dwarves bring trained lawyers to these negotiations, so it's usually the poor Kadim who ends up with the short end of the stick, only being allowed short bursts of control (however, "in combat" is one of the bursts - the Kadim has certain advantages in combat - which is why they fight like berserkers).

As such, all three of your designs fit; they transform from normal dwarves to tiny fire elementals during battle, so either end of the spectrum or a mid point fits. You could even do a mix - perhaps the front rank is fully transformed, while the middle ranks are still transforming and the back ranks not done yet.

Background Team