a Deceiver in the Arena

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• piteglio wrote:

and i guess now is the time for a bit of motivation:
    i'll try and have the sculpt reflect the kitting choices made here.

- Cloven Hooves: should be quite straightforward
    - Piercing Spike: what do you say of replacing the left hand with a nasty spike?
    - Venom Sacs: maybe i'd add some blisters at the level of the neck or chin?
    - Mirrored Scales: this one might be enough as paintjob (not needing resculpting)
    - Living Shield: i find this one is really tough to imagine as a miniature component!

if you have suggestions, fire away! let's make this special character even more special!
    also, if you have an idea for the name, @AlexCat, i'd be happy to use it as a starting point.
    Just my personal opinion.
    - Cloven Hooves: Hooves instead of feet or boots.
    - Piercing spike: still has his hand but a Spike grows out of the forearm and is long enough to stab with.
    -Venom sacs: great, maybe on the back aswell?
    - Mirrored scales: yeah good as a paintjob. Try to create som flat surfaces for freehand.
    - living shield: grows out of the other forearm and has either a face on it, or some other bodyparts. Perhaps a lot of eyes staring down the opponent?
  • WoeRie wrote:

Maybe you can make the Wings optional?

thanks for the suggestion! since the miniature is part of a "starter set" i'd have a preference for a monopart mini. in that case, the wings can be "optionally clipped off" by the player, rather than be "optionally glued on". i'll check with the production department and keep your suggestion in mind - you're right, just because the official art for the Deceiver has wings, doesn't mean the miniature must have them, especially since they're an optional upgrade.

Kapten Kluns wrote:

Just my personal opinion.- Cloven Hooves: Hooves instead of feet or boots.
    - Piercing spike: still has his hand but a Spike grows out of the forearm and is long enough to stab with.
    -Venom sacs: great, maybe on the back aswell?
    - Mirrored scales: yeah good as a paintjob. Try to create som flat surfaces for freehand.
    - living shield: grows out of the other forearm and has either a face on it, or some other bodyparts. Perhaps a lot of eyes staring down the opponent?

like it, especially the livingshield suggestion. the skin of the left arm could stretch perdpendicular to the bone, into a kitelike shape. and it could even end into a spike after the fist - dealing with your piercingspike suggestion too. nnnice!

click the logo and reach the KickStarter page!
  • piteglio wrote:

WoeRie wrote:

Maybe you can make the Wings optional?
    thanks for the suggestion! since the miniature is part of a "starter set" i'd have a preference for a monopart mini. in that case, the wings can be "optionally clipped off" by the player, rather than be "optionally glued on". i'll check with the production department and keep your suggestion in mind - you're right, just because the official art for the Deceiver has wings, doesn't mean the miniature must have them, especially since they're an optional upgrade.

<...>

As I normally magnetize optional upgrades like this to my minis, I would love to not clip it off :D
    But I understand you point. Somehow I missed it, do you sell the mini separately or only as part of the starter set?
  • magnetising optional upgrades - that's the best approach, in my opinion. but it requires some hobby skills, and my minis are rather meant to ease unexperienced players into the game.

the plan is to have one starter set with an orc, an elf, two dice, and a dozen cards. then an other more advanced set with the deceiver and the Kegiz Gavem king instead. the starter set was available for 15€ during my Kickstarter, so even if you're only interested in one miniature (and its cards) you might still find the price reasonable.

• piteglio wrote:

- Cloven Hooves: should be quite straightforward
    - Piercing Spike: what do you say of replacing the left hand with a nasty spike?
    - Venom Sacs: maybe i'd add some blisters at the level of the neck or chin?
    - Mirrored Scales: this one might be enough as paintjob (not needing resculpting)
    - Living Shield: i find this one is really tough to imagine as a miniature component!
    Do not like the idea of blisters that much
    I think shield could be made as some sort of a membrane on one of his (mb additional) arms
  • AlexCat wrote:

Do not like the idea of blisters that muchI think shield could be made as some sort of a membrane on one of his (mb additional) arms

yes! the skin stretching into a kite shield was going in the "membrane" direction. however, being monopose, i might be limited in my thickness choices...

for the venom sacs, do you have alternative ideas? i discarded the regular "leather bags with poison flasks inside", but apart from infectious glands, im not sure i have other options. if you have suggestions, fire away!

also, i used to call it Misty (from Mistificatore, italian for Deceiver), but you won the contest, so feel free to suggest the name and we'll see if that's doable. its opponent in the Arena will be dwarfking "Fnarrr the scarred", so there's at least some room for choice!

• in the meantime, it seems that the work on the Deceiver's opponent is almost finalised. a handle for the shield, some resizing here and there, not sure i'll have some runes carved into the plate, but here is the main work for the Dwarven King that stands between Kuulima and the glory she deserves:

piteglio wrote:

alright frrrriends,
    yesterday night we did some playtesting of the Arena games, and i'll admit: it was a lot of fun! thanks @PTG - Hyper-G and @PTG-Lucky-Sixes for helping out and testing every single aspect of the game! we played with 4 character builds at around 300pts (thanks @Adaephon_Delat for contributing the winning build) ; ) so it wasnt the 500pts builds we mentioned above, but it still was full of unexpected turns and general awesomeness. the nicest part was perhaps the "team match" (sad you missed that, @Ayuvelon, but the game went on until midnight or so). if 300pts is so much fun, i cant wait to see how the reaction is to the 500pts builds - especially to the one contributed by @AlexCat (for the Kuulima's Deceiver) and by @Marcos24 (i'll let you guys guess...). which brings us to the next update: @Fnarrr the scarred is coming!

i quite like the sculpt. this will go along with the Deceiver and a the needed rulescards into a starter set like The Breach. @Little Joe is helping with some feedback on the sculpt, but everybody's opinion is most welcome. if you ask me, our sculptor did a great job at recreating the feel of the miniature in the original artpiece commissioned to Mitchell Nolte by @Karak Norn Clansman, which i post again below, because it's just so awesome!

apologies for cross-posting, but i thought it'd be nice to show you that each suggestion made in these threads is taken seriously! : )