Tips and help to new ogre players

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Tips and help to new ogre players

Hi

I'm building up an ogre army. It's a slow process because I'm doing a lot of work with greenstuff, so in the meantime I'm playing with one of our club member's OK army.
    I have no real preference as to what to play with. From my perspective, the army have a lot of interesting choices. I don't play super competitive games, even though I do enjoy participating in both single and team tournaments.

Having played 3 games so far I still have a lot to learn and a lot to unlearn. Since the beginning of T9A I've played SA and nothing else. It feels as if the SA army is completely opposite - being more defensive, relying on magic etc. Also, none of the groups I've played with have had an active OK player, so I've only ever played against OK a single time 8|

So I figured I'd open this thread, both so that I can ask some questions, but also for people just to post random "good to know" tips, if you're new to the army. If other newcomers and alike have questions the thread is basically open.

1. One of the big "issues" I see with the OK army is dealing with the opponents chaff. How do you guys go about it and how do you like bombadiers? I don't mind having 2x3 bombadiers, but my current experience with them, not to mention countless of experinece with spearbacks, tells me that these are very, very hit and miss. you may get lots of shots, only for them to amount to nothing. With points going into characters, core and typically a monster I find that putting down 400pts to extremely random shooters is a bit meh.
    2. How much chaff do you find sufficient? I see a lot of people have 2 sabretooths. What about the tribesmen darts, are they sometimes used to throw under the bus as well
    3. I really enjoy the idea of the mercenaries, buuuut.. I somehow find it difficult to decide what to equip them with. It's my understanding that people somewhat avoid them. Are there any general concensus of size, equipment and special rules?
    4. Wildheart lists looks fun, but I have no idea where to start and where to end 8o I imagine that scoring units becomes somewhat more of an issue, or do people have succes with tribesmen and tuskers? TBH I think it seems slightly gimmicky, but what experience do people have?
    5. Is dual wizards an option? I don't personally like thauma, but a master shaman and adept pyromancer with arcane book doesn't seem too bad, except for the high price tag =O In particular I find the pyromancy spells excellent to deal with chaff and various lightly armoured/ranged units. From what I can see the majority of seem to just go with a single master wizard.
    6. What's the deal with thaumaturgy for Ogres? I dislike the randomness of Wrath, Trial is random as well. although somewhat cheap to cast. Speaking in tongues seems fun and the remaning spells are alright.
    7. Great Khans are such a cool unit, but they ultimately seem unnecessary. A Mammuth Hunter seem a ton more flexible. So any experiences with a GKhan? With Spine Splitter and IF they have 7 attacks at S6, when charging. Look like fun.
    8. I had a talk with an OnG player. He was thrilled by scraplings, lol. They're cheap, I suppose. Any use for them? Other than cheap scoring units.
    9. How do you guys deal with nasty combat characters, that can rip out boys apart easily? Do you just avoid? It seems to me the OK have decent characters, but not necessarily characters geared to take out other characters.

I think that's it for now. I'll probably have a lot more questions, as I get more games.
    I hope you guys can help with some of the question and that others take the opportunity to ask questions :saint:
  • Pinktaco wrote:

How do you guys go about it and how do you like bombadiers?
    I never left home without at least 6 bombardiers - they are great! Cheap, good range, mobile, could protect themselves, could be used as chaff... Don't forget to buy musicians for them - more mobility is always good)

Pinktaco wrote:

I really enjoy the idea of the mercenaries, buuuut.. I somehow find it difficult to decide what to equip them with. It's my understanding that people somewhat avoid them. Are there any general concensus of size, equipment and special rules?I rI r
    I prefer Poison + Plate + Pistols. This configuration makes Mercs very versatile and they work on every turn of game.
    I dislike the randomness of Wrath, Trial is random as well.
    That is why I think Pyro and Shamanism works better. Pyro for more shooting lists and Shamanism for more close combat.
  • I just started using thaumaturgy from shamanism being my main lore, so far I like the versatility of thaumaturgy. Wrath of God, smite the unbeliever, hand of heaven, and cleansing fire are my favorite spells. Add in children of umi with a magical heirloom and you have a lot of offensive and defensive spells that really help remove chaff and thin out some of the worst units your opponent has.
    • I've played with a few variants of the Merc vets, and my favorite version is the full plate with iron fist and either swift stride or lethal strike. Swift if they are going without a character lethal if they are having one come along. And the banner that lets you reroll ones on the first round of combat is pretty strong on them too.