Taking the Game Too Seriously, and Ruining the Fun

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• @Grouchy Badger oh ok, well how about you go play a game you don’t like, just because someone else likes it. Go ahead and play it over and over again and let us know in how good a mood you’re in. I’m sure he’ll be just as happy knowing you’re forcing yourself to play against him

No I’d rather he just play someone else who actually would enjoy doing that

it may have been a different thread but to the same person and about the same topic, I said I’d play a game just for fun and to be nice... but if that was my only option I wouldn’t probably just lose interest in the game. And then why would I play? Dedicate 3 hour of my day, the annoyance of packing and unpacking for something I don’t want to do? Yeah I’m sure I won’t resent the guy after a while
  • Marcos24 wrote:

@Grouchy Badger oh ok, well how about you go play a game you don’t like, just because someone else likes it. Go ahead and play it over and over again and let us know in how good a mood you’re in. I’m sure he’ll be just as happy knowing you’re forcing yourself to play against him

No I’d rather he just play someone else who actually would enjoy doing that

it may have been a different thread but to the same person and about the same topic, I said I’d play a game just for fun and to be nice... but if that was my only option I wouldn’t probably just lose interest in the game. And then why would I play? Dedicate 3 hour of my day, the annoyance of packing and unpacking for something I don’t want to do? Yeah I’m sure I won’t resent the guy after a while
    I do play games I dont like. I play in tournaments with fluffy lists. I go there for the social interaction and to laugh with others and drink. Rolling dice and Drinking is why I go and what I enjoy about it. Every weekend, of every month, I play against tournament lists with my fluff lists. Do I get upset and get annoyed with unpacking and packing the army after it gets obliterated by a dwarf vangaurd list?

No. I act like a damn adult, make jokes, make my opponent laugh, make those who are watching me get thrashed laugh, and I make the game fun. It doesn't matter to me what my opponent brings: We are going to roll dice and have fun. I would rather be the funny guy who will play anybody than have the stigma of the guy who only plays "serious armies".
    I am going to offend you. You are not going to like it. You will survive.

Chaotic Neutral
    youtube.com/channel/UCJ9e5C1f26iuvhOA33rsFJQ

Model Reviews with Twice the Brain Injuries!
  • Well then you and I have different interests. If I had your exact interests I’d probably be playing more games. I don’t play 40k because I’m not interested in any of the armies and I’m not interested in the fluff, two of the minimum requirements for me. My friends play it :) I don’t, I’ll swing by for a short while if they’re playing it to hang around.

I enjoy infinity but if my group of friends only 1 other and I play it (for now). Do I get mad at my other friends? No... because I act like an adult, that is reasonable and has understanding that they’re just not into it... I don’t call myself victimized or them bullies

Edit: and yes I’ve tried 40k, first with the black Templar’s, lost interest and sold them. Then with the imperial fists because I think the yellow looks good, and then I lost interest. Sold them both on eBay and don’t regret it at all
  • Marcos24 wrote:

Well then you and I have different interests. If I had your exact interests I’d probably be playing more games. I don’t play 40k because I’m not interested in any of the armies and I’m not interested in the fluff, two minimum requirements for me. My friends play it :) I don’t, I’ll swing by for a short while if they’re playing it to hang around.

I enjoy infinity but if my group of friends only 1 other and I play it (for now). Do I get mad at my other friends? No... because I act like an adult, that is reasonable and has understanding that they’re just not into it... I don’t call myself victimized or them bullies
    Then I hope you will be able to find people willing to play you, for as long as you do.

Chaotic Neutral

• Marcos24 wrote:

@Grouchy Badger the point I think you need to understand, that I’m pretty sure you’re missing, is no one here is saying he can’t do that. Hell I even encouraged it in that same post I mentioned. We’re just saying he shouldn’t force other people to accept it.
    Nor should he be turned away because of his taste in models or themes. 9th age does not have the player count for such ideologies.

Chaotic Neutral

• Grouchy Badger wrote:

Marcos24 wrote:

@Grouchy Badger the point I think you need to understand, that I’m pretty sure you’re missing, is no one here is saying he can’t do that. Hell I even encouraged it in that same post I mentioned. We’re just saying he shouldn’t force other people to accept it.
    Nor should he be turned away because of his taste in models or themes. 9th age does not have the player count for such ideologies.
    well that’s up to the player’s friends. As long as that player has more than one friend that plays ninth age, even if they’re not into the same thing, I think he’s going to be just fine using whichever army he wants. They can play each other for some more fluff filled games and they can also play with him to support his interests.
  • Marcos24 wrote:

Look I’m going to say this again. If he’s already doing it and his friends are cool with it... which I’m guessing they are.. then great. Post some pics so we can appreciate looking at some cool conversions and just cool hobbying. But don’t go telling someone they suck because they’re not interested in the same they you are
    Mhm.

Chaotic Neutral

• T9A is model agnostic.

That said, people have different asthetics and different scources of enjoyment. People generally tend to do things they enjoy more often voluntary than those they don't enjoy. No matter how hard I try, I won't be able to force everybody to play the right/ left/ middle/ ... way.

I belive a lot is gained if we all accept, that it is okay if somebody has a different aesthetic or scource of enjoyment or takes a different part of the game serious than oneself. It is totally okay, if somebody loves something I can't stand or if somebody loves something I can't stand. In such case neither of us is ill or a bad person.

It is totally okay, to only play under circumstances one likes to play under. It is not okay, to have a go at people which like to play in a different way.

If one has a broader field of ciurcumstances he can have fun under he has potential more people to play with. If one has a very narrow field of circumstances he can have fun under he has potential fewer people to play with.

An example, I play the dark eye (the dnd of germany). Through over the years I got quite picky about the usage of the rules, the role of the gm, the intaraction of the players between themselves and the setting. I know exactly how I can have fun with the dark eye. I mentioned that I am quite picky, well I haven't played a single game of the dark eye in years as I am so set on my way to play the dark eye, that I might be the only person which likes it that way and that joining or starting a group involves would involve checking and formulating more than 100 things.
  • It is possible to take the game to seriously in different ways. You could take the maths/puzzle solving, painting, model choice or competition to seriously.
    Either way there is a chance that you, or your opponent, will have a bad game if you are too extreme in your approach.

No one is entitled to play a game. If people reject you because of whatever way you approach the hobby, maybe it is time to think on your own approach?

As to the whole model agnostic thing: If playing with card board tokens, empty bases etc. Is your thing, then do so, but just because the rules says you are allowed to, doesn’t mean I can’t turn down a game against you. If you find it hard to find an opponent who is fine with your empty bases, my little pony, smurf or whatever “army” maybe YOU are the one who needs to change?

If you are keeping an ironic distance to the game, maybe you are not as adult as you think you are.

to put it in the words of C. S. Lewis:

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

If you need to justify playing with small toy soldiers on some way, other than just say: I like to pretend and play in a fantasy universe, then the above qoute is for you.
  • I really like how in topic about not taking game too seriously @Chronocide thinks he is proving we're take it too seriously when we want to have fun and aesthetically pleasing game while RAW he is supposed to be able to bring any minis he wants - in my book playing RAW and ignoring fun aspect are really close to taking game too seriously

Then there is @Grouchy Badger who claims that I have to play people with ugly miniatures, otherwise I'm silly and not grown up. Still I play games for fun and playing against ugly things is not fun, playing games for other reasons than having fun seems pretty serious.

So in the end two people vehemently defending playing for fun and not being too serious are two most serious people in this topic. Now that's odd.
    My gallery: Adam painting stuff (HbE, VC and lots of terrain)
    My battle reports: Adam Battle reports
  • Adam wrote:

I really like how in topic about not taking game too seriously @Chronocide thinks he is proving we're take it too seriously when we want to have fun and aesthetically pleasing game while RAW he is supposed to be able to bring any minis he wants - in my book playing RAW and ignoring fun aspect are really close to taking game too seriously

Then there is @Grouchy Badger who claims that I have to play people with ugly miniatures, otherwise I'm silly and not grown up. Still I play games for fun and playing against ugly things is not fun, playing games for other reasons than having fun seems pretty serious.

So in the end two people vehemently defending playing for fun and not being too serious are two most serious people in this topic. Now that's odd.
    i agree- i find the only time anyone ever plays the ‘its only little toys’ argument, its to say ‘stop arguing with me and agree with my pedantic point on an irrelevant issue’.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Damo ().

• Gonna do a shameless plug here.

I recorded a Paint Desk Ramblings episode about Player Types, a topic related to what has been discussed here. I'm joined by @WhammeWhamme and @DanT for a 2 hour long discussion about how you can categorize players in T9A, and how you design things to cater to them.

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

Empire of Sonnstahl Blog, including links to my other blogs
    The 9th Wiki, a community wiki for the official 9th Age background
    T9A: Skirmish Campaigns

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mad 'At ().

• Mad 'At wrote:

Gonna do a shameless plug here.

I recorded a Paint Desk Ramblings episode about Player Types, a topic related to what has been discussed here. I'm joined by @WhammeWhamme and @DanT for a 2 hour long discussion about how you can categories players in T9A, and how you design things to cater to them.

Not shameless at all, its relevant to the topic.

Chaotic Neutral

• Adam wrote:

I really like how in topic about not taking game too seriously @Chronocide thinks he is proving we're take it too seriously when we want to have fun and aesthetically pleasing game while RAW he is supposed to be able to bring any minis he wants - in my book playing RAW and ignoring fun aspect are really close to taking game too seriously
    My stance is that my army is my business and your army is your business, and if you want to play this game, let's play.

You, and others, have stated opinions to the effect that my army needs to conform your ideals of fun and my fun is inconsequential unless it meets up with your ideals of fun. And that's why I called it bullying, because by being unwilling to accept others as they are, and trying to force them to meet your ideals, it's bullying.

That attitude to the hobby is exclusive and will result in less players. From the arguments in previous posts, players like @Marcos24 have established that less players is fine with them, provided the players that stay meet their requirements. Starting to sound like GW made the right call with AoS, as doing so ejected the "hardcore fluff elitist players" to this game.

This is not unlike the rejections/laughs I've gotten when I suggest gender diversity/neutrality to the naming of unit entries. It's Exclusivity and limits our potential player base for zero gain. Dunno about other countries, but the USA is 51% female. How many T9A armies even have a female character option? Like one where the title is Female. GW has noticed, and they are changing. We aren't.

I keep seeing T9A posts about getting more players into the hobby. Being Inclusive is how you get more people into the hobby. If I post an army idea that you don't like, telling me you'd refuse to play on principle that you dislike my army is exclusivity and is downright toxic towards the idea of getting people to like this hobby.

And even if you @Adam represent a loud minority, the fact of the matter is that this thread is what the quiet majority will read and assume yours is the majority opinion. So, congrats, sounds like the majority wants a smaller player base.
    My army Wip blogs:
    Knights of Nethys (WDG) | Tanks and such (EoS)

Friend me on Pokemon Go: 4753 8292 4177

The post was edited 2 times, last by Chronocide ().

• I find it funny that @Damo first says 'If I don't want to play versus your Star Wars Themed army, I don't have to' (which is perfectly fine) and then goes on to say "if somebody plays DH, but you don't want to play versus DH, you still have to".

Also he seems to say homophobia is okay, but racism isn't. But the cake example is somewhat unclear to me and I don't understand exactly what his point was.

Tool Support Battle Scribe

Community Engagement

My blog with battle reports and painting gallery: bleaklegion.wordpress.com/
  • DarkSky wrote:

I find it funny that @Damo first says 'If I don't want to play versus your Star Wars Themed army, I don't have to' (which is perfectly fine) and then goes on to say "if somebody plays DH, but you don't want to play versus DH, you still have to".

Also he seems to say homophobia is okay, but racism isn't. But the cake example is somewhat unclear to me and I don't understand exactly what his point was.
    You'd be lemonade by the time you found it.

Chaotic Neutral

• Omg dude don’t cry if someone doesn’t want to play with you. It has nothing to do with your personality, your race, your religion, your gender, your looks, your diet, your whatever else you think you could possibly be victimized for. You just have to accept that we’re not all the same and we don’t share interests, find someone who does