Discussion and feedback - advanced magic

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• Discussion and feedback - advanced magic

New

We present to you a new book to use in your The Ninth Age endeavors. “Advanced Magics” is a Supplement to the “Arcane Compendium” intended to add depth and variety to the magical aspect of The 9th Age: Fantasy Battles. The Supplement is designed to work as a wholealongside the Rulebook, Arcane Compendium, and most aspects of your Army Book. It deals with the aspects of the Veil and how it affects magic and the items enchanted by it. Included, are new items and new spells for all factions, as well as new ways of using magic in your The 9th Age games. Check it out and hope you enjoy it.

Head of Rules Team

Advisory Board

Assistant Head of Rules Clarity Team

VS_LAB team

• New

Read it found it interesting thematically. I was wondering if it had been play tested and what the general scheme of behavior it created.

It feels like taking into account the supplement mostly just decreases Magic Spells cast per game (dice being used on The Weaver [mostly decreasing on your board edge, but sneaking a mage across the midline sounds hilarious] and the mild drawback for casting 2+ spells.) I was going to type there was "no seeming advantage" to increasing the Veil Counters where you live, but I suppose the advantage is that you are just getting your spells off.

Grimoire Items that gain benefit off of low Veil Counters sorta synergize with Prime spells which have a threadbare boost, as both get pay off for substantially investing in The Weaver. Is that a worthwhile strategy or should one just play no different?

Beyond wondering what it would look like to play, the Prime Spells are fun and cute. My favorite part is the Strength of Cobalt can technically be a hex (also the other Alchemy spell).

Finally, is Command of Continuity worded correctly? My reading of it only enhances the length of opponent cast One Turn spells, which seems dubiously useful as those spells would likely be... not in my favor.
  • New

Cosmology Spell Command of Continuity wrote:

Choose a spell with duration One Turn that wassuccessfully cast during this Magic Phase and for which the target of Command of Continuity was a target. The effect of the chosen spell lasts until the start of the next friendly Magic Phase.
    I, ehm... what?
    My wife and I just released our first video game title!
  • New

Hombre de Mundo wrote:

Choose a spell with duration One Turn that wassuccessfully cast during this Magic Phase and for which the target of Command of Continuity was a target. The effect of the chosen spell lasts until the start of the next friendly Magic Phase.
    I, ehm... what?
    Casting the Command spell allows you to copy another spell that you have already successfully cast that magic phase. Example, you cast Whispers of the Veil on someone. You then can use the Cosmo spell to cast the Whisper spell again by Successfully casting it, which means copying it. This can target the same unit or a different unit in range.
    B. "MF’ing" Jones - Member of the CGL .

D.L.- ADT - TT

Campaign Design-Broken Isles

Freelance Design

PlaytestTeam-Mid Atlantic USA

CGL 2018 Worst Player Winner

CGL 2019 3rd Place

The post was edited 1 time, last by skipschnit ().

• New

Don’t have to be the same target. You target someone with the Cosmo spell, and if you are successful in casting and it’s not dispelled, then you pick one of your spells that you have already cast in that magic phase that has a duration of “one turn”. That spell’s affects are what is used. This can be a hex or augment depending on which version of the Cosmo spell you cast.

D.L.- ADT - TT

Freelance Design

CGL 2019 3rd Place

• New

Chronium Magebow might be a tad broken even for a friendly supplement. You can take 13 necromancers with one of them having indecipherable script. Then, you can get a bound version and regular version of Chronium Magebow. For good measure, switch two necros out for a Nosferatu adept and take 3 more mages from the suffering. Then you have two attempts at Chronium Magebow and if you do cast it, you get 30 shots at aim(2+) S5 AP2 and quick to fire.

If you want to get even crazier take 3 Nosferatu mages on cosmology, 8 mounted necromancers (with an indecipherable script), 2 units of 5 spectral hunters with champs, and a unit of wraiths with champ. Then, you can attempt Chronium Magebow twice (presumably the opponent dispels one of them using his dice) and use Command of Continuity to essentially cast Chronium Magebow again, but this time, give the shooting attack to the mounts (as all the mages are mounted so they have two model parts). Then you get (I think) 48 shots at aim(2+) S5 AP2 and quick to fire. This wipes a max unit of swordsmasters in one turn if my math is correct.

Obviously, both these 'lists' have decent amounts of channel so should be able to reliably get two spells off.

I'm assuming this was not really intended. Other armies can, of course, pull off similar strategies, although the combination of cheap mounted wizards and access to both cosmology and alchemy on apprentices may be unique to vampires (someone could correct me here).
  • New

Stopped at witch hunters banner. +15 pts for aegis vs. Magic for all characters. Perfect banner for a mage bunker.

Most people consider the standard rules as complex enough and I dont think it needs more supplements. So either change the Arcane Compendium in this case but please dont make more stuff like this.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traumdieb ().

• New

It's a pretty fun idea for spell (Chromium Magebow, could be 'adjusted' to hit a maximum number of targets like Hasten the Hour, maybe not even in the same unit. "Choose up to 4 Wizards."

I'll be honest I'm still seeing the interpretation of "Continuity"s wording that makes it work the way you humans are saying.

Also if I'm a Skink Priest on a Taurosaur, can I target myself with the Wyrm Within 6 times?

I can't say I look at it the same way @Traumdieb, it's just fluffy additions. If one doesn't want to use it, it is incredibly ignorable. I don't predict I'll be using these rules in 2020 (assuming there even is much games this year). These supplements are not coming so fast to be a distraction and it is highly unlikely they are disrupting the release of LABs and other t9a programs.

The post was edited 1 time, last by oreogolem: added addition instead of double posting ().

• New

oreogolem wrote:

Read it found it interesting thematically. I was wondering if it had been play tested and what the general scheme of behavior it created.

It feels like taking into account the supplement mostly just decreases Magic Spells cast per game (dice being used on The Weaver [mostly decreasing on your board edge, but sneaking a mage across the midline sounds hilarious] and the mild drawback for casting 2+ spells.) I was going to type there was "no seeming advantage" to increasing the Veil Counters where you live, but I suppose the advantage is that you are just getting your spells off.

Grimoire Items that gain benefit off of low Veil Counters sorta synergize with Prime spells which have a threadbare boost, as both get pay off for substantially investing in The Weaver. Is that a worthwhile strategy or should one just play no different?
    In my (limited) experience, you cast the weaver mostly when you have no other useful spells left to cast. Makes playing more one-sides magic setups more interesting (e.g. only combat buffs).

Or when you are setting up for some nasty threadbare effect.

skipschnit wrote:

Hombre de Mundo wrote:

I, ehm... what?
    Casting the Command spell allows you to copy another spell that you have already successfully cast that magic phase. Example, you cast Whispers of the Veil on someone. You then can use the Cosmo spell to cast the Whisper spell again by Successfully casting it, which means copying it. This can target the same unit or a different unit in range.
    You and I Skip have pretty different idea of what the spell is supposed to do..
    I think we need to discuss internally.

I read it as extending the duration of a spell. Not doubling the effects.
    One turn spell becomes a two turn spell.

Vamp87 wrote:

Chronium Magebow might be a tad broken even for a friendly supplement. You can take 13 necromancers with one of them having indecipherable script. Then, you can get a bound version and regular version of Chronium Magebow. For good measure, switch two necros out for a Nosferatu adept and take 3 more mages from the suffering. Then you have two attempts at Chronium Magebow and if you do cast it, you get 30 shots at aim(2+) S5 AP2 and quick to fire.

If you want to get even crazier take 3 Nosferatu mages on cosmology, 8 mounted necromancers (with an indecipherable script), 2 units of 5 spectral hunters with champs, and a unit of wraiths with champ. Then, you can attempt Chronium Magebow twice (presumably the opponent dispels one of them using his dice) and use Command of Continuity to essentially cast Chronium Magebow again, but this time, give the shooting attack to the mounts (as all the mages are mounted so they have two model parts). Then you get (I think) 48 shots at aim(2+) S5 AP2 and quick to fire. This wipes a max unit of swordsmasters in one turn if my math is correct.

Obviously, both these 'lists' have decent amounts of channel so should be able to reliably get two spells off.

I'm assuming this was not really intended. Other armies can, of course, pull off similar strategies, although the combination of cheap mounted wizards and access to both cosmology and alchemy on apprentices may be unique to vampires (someone could correct me here).
    Lol.
    Sounds a bit OP indeed. Something to consider for an update.

Traumdieb wrote:

Stopped at witch hunters banner. +15 pts for aegis vs. Magic for all characters. Perfect banner for a mage bunker.

Most people consider the standard rules as complex enough and I dont think it needs more supplements. So either change the Arcane Compendium in this case but please dont make more stuff like this.
    Like all supplements, this book is optional. Game works perfectly without it. It's an addition for those who wants more, or something fresh. Feel free to not use it if you are happy with the core rules.

BTW, this supplement is intentionally created in such a way to allow people who haven't read the rules for the supplement to just use their normal builds and magic, and still be able to play against someone who uses this supplement. The only thing you need to know is that you get the weaver bound spell. Everything else is not very different from playing an armybook you are not 100% familiar with. There might be a new spell or item or two, but that's pretty much it as far as a single game goes.

I.e. you can play your normal build against an opponent that tests this supplement. And you can probably have a good game without any major hickups.

Head of Rules Team

Advisory Board

Assistant Head of Rules Clarity Team

VS_LAB team

• New

@fjugin

Its not necessary to make a complex game even more complex.

This is something I really hated at GW times when people came with extra rules without warning. If someone comes with this without agreement against me, he

a.) wont use it and may take something else for this
    b.) does not play.

For me those supplements that arent codexes like Asklanders (which are fun and fluffy for some players) are as necessary as a thrid nipple, splits a small community more and thats my feedback.

It aint fair if you take items in that are a huge disadvantage for some parts of the game. At foremost the witch hunters banner vs. Saurian Ancients with Evocation. It greatly devalues snipers and also devalues the engine without pricedrop. Yet other lores formost Witchcraft, Shamanism or Druidism are completely unaffected.
  • New

@Traumdieb Are you aware that you can simply ignore them if it's not of your liking. A ton of people ask for more complex rules or different kind of scenario. This can be very interesting for some fun special game or a narrative campaign

Also :
    -it's a supplement
    -not part of the main rules
    -there is clearly written that you should discuss it before hand with your opponent

So if it's not for you that's fine

As far as I'm concerned I'm really interested. It can be a nice variation on the normal games. I also like that compared to many "fun variation" it doesn't overuse randomness and seem to encourage positioning with this counter mechanic.
    So definitely something I'll need to test :thumbup:
  • New

fjugin wrote:

skipschnit wrote:

Hombre de Mundo wrote:

I, ehm... what?
    You and I Skip have pretty different idea of what the spell is supposed to do..I think we need to discuss internally.

I read this as that too, except it says nothing about extending the spell's duration to two turns (which would've been an easy way of wording it). It says the chosen spell lasts to the next friendly magic phase. Which is one turn. So Rules as Written - the spell does nothing? :P
    My wife and I just released our first video game title!
  • New

Hombre de Mundo wrote:

fjugin wrote:

skipschnit wrote:

Hombre de Mundo wrote:

I, ehm... what?
    You and I Skip have pretty different idea of what the spell is supposed to do..I think we need to discuss internally.
    I read this as that too, except it says nothing about extending the spell's duration to two turns (which would've been an easy way of wording it). It says the chosen spell lasts to the next friendly magic phase. Which is one turn. So Rules as Written - the spell does nothing? :P
    So, we’re glad that you’ve pointed this out to us. :thumbsup: It is a great reason for the public beta. We will work on this and get it cleaned up. :write:

D.L.- ADT - TT

Freelance Design

CGL 2019 3rd Place

• New

Personally I find the idea of a magic supplement really great, but in the current form most of the spells seem too weak (pyromancy for example is just... blergh). I would have liked the spells to have either more oompf and/or creativity (the unit swapping spell is a good example of a spell design I like). I also heavily dislike adding even more counters to the game, which need to be tracked. SOme wording is also unnecessarily cumbersome, like with pyromancy nr. 2:s targeting restriction.

The idea is good, and I like some design aspects in general (like casting magic affecting the veil), but I think the execution is not quite there. :) I would change and streamline a lot of stuff. But it is still good in my opinion that these kind of things are done, even if they sometimes miss their target (at least for me).
  • New

Not that much interested in the gaming supplement, however I loved to get a background supplement!

Having Archwizards is great! Especially the lore which suffers no rival during the same turn.
    Arcane Collaborators is interesting, with the idea of collaborative magic.

typo

Page 3, Veil Strength: The more counters the pool has, the stronger the Veil

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves