Dwarves of Nevaz Twin Peaks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• Dwarves of Nevaz Twin Peaks

I'm looking to site my DH/ID army, which runs on alternative/parallel fluff, but fights in the ninth age world. Whilst Covid means I'm only playing on UB, I'm building a real world dwarf army and I plan to dual use it for Infernal Dwarfs too. I'm basing it on DH models so traditional fantasy dwarfs is the aesthetic - no mutations, deadlock beards or weird bull fetishes. I'm hoping some information might already exist to help with what I'm after, so I'm requesting signposting to relevant sources I could read. @Ghiznuk @Karak Norn Clansman @Henrypmiller - can you guys help at all? If there's an absence of existing fluff then I'll go ahead anyway as it's my army so I can imagine whatever narrative I choose :D. I've no intention of this being considered or incorporated into canon, but I'd like to have as much internal consistency as possible (within the constraints of my inherently apocryphal approach).

Questions:
      1. I'm looking at using the Barren Mountains, as a mid-point geographically between the Hold and Infernal Dwarfs. Is there any information about the barren mountains?
      2. When did the Infernal Dwarfs create the inferno? Were they still considered 'the same' as Hold Dwarfs back then, or had they already diverged (e.g. language, culture)
      3. I need to add photos of my models so I can swap them out for minis I've found on the internet to illustrate my text...
      @Little Joe - I've got some model selection conundrums too (see below for style) - any suggestions for the following:
      • slaves
      • vassal cavalry/conjurer (mounted)

Here's what I'm considering so far:

Origins of Nevaz Twin Peaks in the Barren Mountains (drawing on both Nekoshim and Hittite dwarf pages for inspiration):
      Nekoshim: Dwarven Holds of the Copper Mountains (T9A Nabateans)
      https://www.the-ninth-age.com/community/index.php?thread/46076-infernal-dwarves-of-the-barren-mountains-t9a-hittites/

Not Vetian Dwarves, but descending from ancient Eastern Dwarf stock which fled the ravages of the Inferno and settled in the Barren Mountains. They retained the ancient language and customs of the pre-Inferno dwarfs - valuing tradition, loyalty and steadfastness, slow to adapt to both modern engineering (flying machines), magics or "fire-banding" (Kadims). They worship the ancestors and the old gods and have little time for Ashurak, Shamut and their like. As such, their armies are truly dwarven in nature, with throngs of infantry warriors defending their adopted homeland, supported only by traditional artillery and their runic heritage. [In game terms Hold armies tend to forego copters and grudge busters, and infernal armies forego slaves, bulls, Kadims, Giants and Trains]. Long-established, the Hold has forged relationships with local petty kingdoms who march to war alongside their allies ("vassals" - asklander/viking types, which fit the dwarf aesthetic nicely).

But times change, even for this ancient lineage. Over recent centuries, with demonic incursions adding to greenskin waves, ratmen sappers and ogre expansions, and a rise in Infernal nationalism, the hold has suffered many hardships. To combat these, some dwarfs have looked to the East and studied magics of metallurgy and fire ("not occultism"). Engineers have constructed mechanical dragons ("grudge busters/infernal engines"). Miners have dug deep in search of minerals, eking out what little they can from the barren lands and discovered elementals of earth and fire, who's power the clan's smiths have harnessed ("Kadim"). In turn, this has led to new inventions by the clan's runic engineers and smiths ("gunnery teams"). Some dwarfs have even taken mounts ("enforcers/vassal cav")! This young, innovative faction is gaining ground, politically and within civil society, as it proves itself in commerce and on the battlefield. While so far secure from external threats, the future of Nevaz Twin Peaks has never been more uncertain.

Models:
      King/Overlord
      King on throne - GW Skull Pass Lord on raised base with gunner and infantry champions as throne bearers (I've got this built, based and basecoated).
      King on foot/overlord - various GW dwarf champions/kitbashes, or this cool DND mini by chainmail - I've got this built but not painted)

Thane/Vizier BSB
      On shieldbearers - unit bannerman kitbashed, astride a UK 1penny piece, carried aloft by a GW BoSP clansman and the trusty gunner champion (who uniquely has his right hand raised) - I have this built, based and painted.
      For on foot/ID version, I've got this model and I've stripped it...but I'm a bit daunted by all the detail on it!

Runic Smith/Prophet:
      Classic GW metal runesmiths and a kitbash conversion - all stripped and built ready for painting

Engineer
      This guy from BoSP - I've got him painted to tabletop standard from when I got it

Dragon Seeker - absent from army

Taurok Commissioner - absent from army

Vassal Conjurer (witchcraft)
      Mounted - I don't know what I'd use at the moment...probably depends on what models I end up using for vassal cav, so that he's in-keeping.
      On foot - I have this model, just need to paint him

Clan Warriors/Greybeards/Infernal Warriors (Hand Weapon + Shield):
      I've got these guys painted, just need to base them.

Clan Warriors with Spears/Citadel Guard with Pistols and Spears:
      GW Dwarf warriors conversions, with goblin spears pinned on - I've done the conversions and some are painted - need to finish painting and base. I'm also adding shoulder pads to make them more armoured so that they fit better for the Infernal options.

Marksmen (handguns)/Infernal Warriors (Blunderbuss)/Citadel Guard (Flintlock Axe)
      GW BoSP handguns, converted to flintlocks by adding an axe head or to blunderbusses by adding - I kid you not - mushrooms to the muzzles. I'm also adding shoulder pads to make them more armoured so that they fit better for the Infernal options.
      Based on the models below - I'm working my way through the conversions.

Vassals:
      I've got boxes full of vikings from when I was thinking of starting some sort of historicals - will give me an excuse to paint them.

Slaves:
      They don't really fit the fluff of the army, but even if they did, I'm at a loss as to what would be suitable models. The big issue for me is that they're big - on 25mm bases. I also feel they're basically there as ammo carriers - it's almost like I'd want a unit of these guys

Grudge Busters/Infernal Engines:
      I have both of these, I'm just holding off painting them til I get an airbrush as I think it will make it a lot quicker and cleaner for all those big areas of metallics. I'll use footprint adjusters for the bases and will magnetise the feet accordingly.

Kadim Incarnates/Hold Guardians - these are going super cheap, reckon I'll snap some up, do some converting and paint them like lava - jobs a good un.

Kadim Chariot:
      I've built two of these DND Chbainmail Mordenguard Stone Spikes, and they will pull a Mantic abyssal dwarf slave driver chariot. If I can get hold of a GW Magmadroth rider cheap (or indeed almost any GW Fyreslayer) they'd make decent riders.

Vassal Cavalry:
      I quite like these, but boy are they expensive! I might just go with marauder horesmen as I have some and can get more cheap...

Taurock Enforcers:
      Same company do these bad boys...

Deep Watch/Immortals with Infernal Weapon: - I'm working my way through painting these up...

King's Guard/Immortals with Great Weapon: - I'm working my way through painting these up...

Tower/King on Throne:
      I'd love to get this, but it's super expensive...not sure on alternatives...

Kadim Titan:
      Bought and built - just need to paint.

Giants:
      I'm after something that just looks like a big dwarf...
      I'd want to headswap, but this guy conveniently brings a second tower shield to convert for another.

This guy fits the bill nicely...
      Join us on Ulthuan.net

The post was edited 1 time, last by ferny ().

• The answers to your 2nd question are in the World Hymn tapestry :)

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

Team Croatia ETC 2019 Captain ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HEROES AND VILLEINS OF THE 9TH AGE
    • Seventh Age, as per the world hymn. :)

There was no information on the Barren Mountains during my read-through of all 9th Scrolls late last year. I've yet to catch up since then.

As for Barren Mountains as a transition border zone between DH and ID; it's a good idea, in the absence of known stuff at the moment. Geographically, any Dwarven cities there could easily be based on Hittites or Armenians, both with solid mountainous building records. Both have ancient roots (Urartu in the Armenian case), but the latter extend all the way into the middle ages as a martial force of their own.

Or base it on Galatians for the Celtic flavour.

Here are three brainstorming proposals dealing with the Barren Mountains and "Minor Augea", all gunning for ancient stuff. Just in case anything would inspire:

Tribes of Northwest Barren Mountains, Infernal Dwarves of the Barren Mountains & Kundrocerian Hobgoblins.

Whatever you do here, have fun!
    • Dwarven holds in general are inspired by Derinkuyu if you are looking for more geographically related inspiration.

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

Team Croatia ETC 2019 Captain ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HEROES AND VILLEINS OF THE 9TH AGE
    • Since you do not seem to be a fan of slaves and the dwarves you describe would not use human slaves. Basically use those that caused woes and make it a statement unit. Pick the armies of your regular opponents and add a few shackled miniatures from those armies. Mix all 3 weapon options and play the unit with a token to serve WYSIWYG.

For slaves and with 25mm bases, I would go bulk with Orcs (savage ones) and sprinkle in some of the mentioned foes, @Karak Norn Clansman has the perfect solution for heads for variation and he also has an elf (maybe a tad too brutal).

Those orcs are by MOM Miniaturas and are not the usual muscle brutes:

Mantic has some shackled Vermin, since you specifically mentioned them.

Since you like adding female miniatures, Russian Alternative

Best mounted wizard in my opinion is still the Gamezone one:

Maybe too imperical so in style with your wizard on foot, Mierce Miniatures:

Sadly they sometimes just show drawings, but the miniature will be just like that.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Little Joe ().

• Barren Mountains are cited in the BRB story about a Goblin King, in the WotDG story about the giant and in the DL story about Lust.

They are a transition zone between Avras and the Infernal plain, rather wild I'd say.
      Some people there speak Greek, others speak Turkish.
      There are small human feudal principalties and slaves are used in mines.
      Orcs and goblins, as well as Warriors bands.

For the rest, the landscape is similar to Turkey / Anatolia, I guess.

ferny wrote:

They worship the ancestors and the old gods and have little time for Ashurak, Shamut and their like
      If I'm not mistaken, Ashuruk, Shamut and their like are the old dwarven gods that were later shunned by the Dwarven Holds.
      That's how I understand it, at least, given that the Epic of Kibotesh mentions them all and it is presented as « the oldest dwarvish literary work », meaning, of all dwarvish-kind, DH and ID alike.

However, as the World Hymn shows, Western and Eastern dwarves were separate in the very first ages and united in the Second Age to form the Dwarven Empire, but their cultures could have been different at the time and remained different throughout that period.

So Ashuruk, Shamut and the like could have always been only Eastern-dwarvish gods and never worshipped by Western dwarves, but in that case, they are not newer nor older than the old DH gods.

Russian Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • New

Thank you all fro your responses - great info!

Henrypmiller wrote:

There will be a lot of info on the DH in the scroll this week.

Also you can see the exisitng BG on the faction page:

the-ninth-age.com/factions/dwarven-holds/
      How did I not realise all that info was there! That's exactly the shtt I'm looking for. Is this a comprehensive collation of released T9A dwarf specific fluff, or is it just a solid grounding? Either way, delighted to find it, and equally for the other factions too.

Looking forward to seeing what new stuff is in the scroll too :D.

Karak Norn Clansman wrote:

As for Barren Mountains as a transition border zone between DH and ID; it's a good idea, in the absence of known stuff at the moment. Geographically, any Dwarven cities there could easily be based on Hittites or Armenians, both with solid mountainous building records. Both have ancient roots (Urartu in the Armenian case), but the latter extend all the way into the middle ages as a martial force of their own.

Or base it on Galatians for the Celtic flavour.

Here are three brainstorming proposals dealing with the Barren Mountains and "Minor Augea", all gunning for ancient stuff. Just in case anything would inspire:

Tribes of Northwest Barren Mountains, Infernal Dwarves of the Barren Mountains & Kundrocerian Hobgoblins.

Whatever you do here, have fun!
      Sounds like the perfect location for what I'm after then!

Giladis wrote:

Dwarven holds in general are inspired by Derinkuyu if you are looking for more geographically related inspiration.
      It's interesting to read about (I had a browse of wikipedia recently when you mentioned it in another thread), but here I'm after a much more basic - "is this a reasonable place for me to locate a hybrid DH/ID society", and from KNC's details above it seems perfect.

Little Joe wrote:

...so in style with your wizard on foot, Mierce Miniatures:

Sadly they sometimes just show drawings, but the miniature will be just like that.
      OK - that would be perfect! Absolutely love it, bang on the aesthetic I'm after.

Slaves I still find to be an issue because they don't really fit with the fluff narrative I've given myself, and insofar as they could there's really zero reason why they should be on larger bases than the dwarfs. I'm almost tempted to go down a completly different route and take it as magical support buffs for the shooting rather than slaves, and have a big anvil model as a unit filler and put brimstone horrors or similar on rediculously large bases around the edge of the anvil. I'm sure plenty of people won't like it, but equally I'm sure plenty won't like dual-armying with dwarf models, so what can you do?

Ghiznuk wrote:

Barren Mountains are cited in the BRB story about a Goblin King, in the WotDG story about the giant and in the DL story about Lust.

They are a transition zone between Avras and the Infernal plain, rather wild I'd say.
      Some people there speak Greek, others speak Turkish.
      There are small human feudal principalties and slaves are used in mines.
      Orcs and goblins, as well as Warriors bands.

For the rest, the landscape is similar to Turkey / Anatolia, I guess.

ferny wrote:

They worship the ancestors and the old gods and have little time for Ashurak, Shamut and their like
      If I'm not mistaken, Ashuruk, Shamut and their like are the old dwarven gods that were later shunned by the Dwarven Holds.That's how I understand it, at least, given that the Epic of Kibotesh mentions them all and it is presented as « the oldest dwarvish literary work », meaning, of all dwarvish-kind, DH and ID alike.

However, as the World Hymn shows, Western and Eastern dwarves were separate in the very first ages and united in the Second Age to form the Dwarven Empire, but their cultures could have been different at the time and remained different throughout that period.

So Ashuruk, Shamut and the like could have always been only Eastern-dwarvish gods and never worshipped by Western dwarves, but in that case, they are not newer nor older than the old DH gods.
      Thanks for the references to the Barren Mountain stories - I'll look those up. Your description of the area matches KNC's and sounds like the perfect setting for my dwarfs.

Very interesting about the Western and Eastern Dwarfs and the Dwarfish empire, and early universal worship of the (now) ID gods.

@Henrypmiller will there be any more info on this in the new scroll?
      @Giladis @WhammeWhamme - can you confirm what Ghiznuk is saying here, and/or shed any more light on these early relationships.

Thanks all!
      Join us on Ulthuan.net
    • New

ferny wrote:

Slaves I still find to be an issue because they don't really fit with the fluff narrative I've given myself, and insofar as they could there's really zero reason why they should be on larger bases than the dwarfs. I'm almost tempted to go down a completly different route and take it as magical support buffs for the shooting rather than slaves, and have a big anvil model as a unit filler and put brimstone horrors or similar on rediculously large bases around the edge of the anvil. I'm sure plenty of people won't like it, but equally I'm sure plenty won't like dual-armying with dwarf models, so what can you do?
      It is your army, your vision. I think you can do anything if it fits thematically. An easy solution is to make custom playing cards for opponents with an image of your units and what they are. That way it will always be clear and it greatly supports being model agnostic.

Have fun and go for what you like.