Pinned Universal Battle Howto

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Step by Step guide to UB :

Universal Battle is an online Java Applet that allows real-time fantasy battles using anyruleset. Part of the difficulty with getting used to the application is understanding how it works and what it can/cannot do for you.

Imagine UB as your local gaming club: you show up, ask if someone wants a game and then the gaming club provides a table to play on, terrain and perhaps even some dice and templates. In real life, you have to bring your models, your rulebooks and lists,move your models and calculate your combat resolution yourself, the club owner won’t do that for you.

Well, it’s exactly the same thing with UB: it provides a GUI of sorts, that you can use to set up a table, pull out your units and play. It doesn’t automatically calculate distances, you cannot input your list in the system and it will definitely not remove casualties for you or calculate your combat resolution.

Getting started:

You can connect to the site as a Guest, meaning that you can use the chatroom, basic utilities and spectate games to get an idea of what games look like on UB.

If you want to play a game, you need to register on the site. Even if you are only going touse the free options available, registering is a good idea as it allows you to exit the game and still be able to use your models when you come right back in.

Guide to the Free User:

Alright,the subscription fee for UB is not prohibitive, but let’s assume that you don’t want to shell out a handful of euros/dollars for it.

What you get is basic stuff: 5 or 6 different army templates (that you can mix and matchto get a relatively coherent army – more on that later) and use of all the terrain pieces. You can create games, private or public, and can give people access to play with you.

What you cannot do as a free user:

-Create your own army from scratch
      - Use other peoples’ army templates
      - Use pre-made maps (either saved on the site or on separate files)
      - Save/Load games
      - Save/Load armies (this way you can prepare your army beforehand and save yourself the 10 minutes it takes to create everything)
      - Save/Load maps.

So, back to our introduction: you’ve registered, and now can click on the “Connect to Lobby” button to get access to the chatroom where all the games currently being played on the server are displayed. There is a color code here: games that havered boxes are open games (everyone can join) while yellow ones are password-protected private games (you need to know the password to get in).

To start,you might want to talk to people on the chatroom and ask for a game, stating the game system and the points limit that you’re looking for. (sometimes it isworth discussing the style of the game you’re looking for: friendly fluff game? Tournament no-comp game? And so on)

To create a game, you click on the relevant button at the bottom, you give a name to the game and then you are transferred to the “select army” window. What is worth noting is that the applet doesn’t care if you use Ogre models to represent Croxisaurus, or if your Dryads are actually neanderorcs. Proxying happens allthe time when playing as a free user, it is the only way to get access to allthe units in an army book.

Once you’ve chosen an army, the battlefield screen pops up. Here you have your greenplaying mat (70”x48” by default; you can modify that), a tool bar at the bottom and a chat function to your right.

Here is the site’s introductory guide, that explains part of the user interface:

universalbattle.com/guide.php
      You’ll see the following buttons at the bottom:

- Tools: this is where you will find all the rulers, templates, wound counters, frontarc templates, etc.
      -Maps: here you have various terrain pieces that you can select, then drag and drop to the spot where you want them to be. The little lock icon is there to lock terrainin place once you’re done, so as to avoid moving the forest instead of your elves by accident.
      - Add Units: This allows you to select any of the models from the army template you’ve picked, then make a unit out of it. You get to decide the formation (number of ranks and files, each goes up to 15), facing (north or south), skirmish or not,and add symbols for command models. These last are embedded on the unit’s“movement tray” and so you don’t have to worry about deleting them by accidentor having to move them around separately. In this window you also get theoption to rename your unit, once you’ve decided on the size, formation and command. Then you click on deploy and the unit appears in the middle of the table.

Moving a unit on the field: each of your units that comprises of more than one model hasa “movement tray”, that is a translucent green box with a small “tongue”sticking out its back. By clicking on it, you select the entire unit and can now move it. Moving happens by dragging and dropping the unit, so what is important is to use the rulers to measure the exact position that the unit will end up in (the applet will not do that for you). Wheel maneuvers take a bit to get used to, but they are a lot more precise than real tabletop measurements.

Movement trays work in the same way they do in real games: if you put a character modelon it, he will move with the unit (exceptions and bugs exist, though)

Performing a wheel: when you click on a unit, you get two small icons on either side. One is a curved arrow and the other is a circle with a straight arrow in it. The first one is the tool you’ll use to wheel a unit (you click and hold the mousebutton, then move your cursor to wheel to the desired point) and the second one defines what type of wheel you will perform (right hand, left hand or pivot around the centre). You can change this setting by clicking on the second icon.When you perform a wheel, the amount of inches/cm covered is also portrayed next to the unit

Rolling dice: Click the dice icon at the bottom of the screen and a pop up window willappear. You can choose the type of dice you’re going to roll (anything from d4to D20),and then you can type the number of dice you want to roll. When you click on the button to roll them, the result will appear in the chat window on your right. Dice results are always arranged in a numerical order, it makes it easier to count how many successes you got.

Removing casualties: To remove casualties, you click on a model to select it then you click on the trash bin at the bottom left. Be sure that you haven’t selectedthe entire unit (this happens by clicking on the movement tray rather than on the individual model) as this will make the entire unit disappear!

Removing command icons: to remove a command icon, you click on the unit’s movement tray,then on the (i) icon at the bottom right. A pop-up window will appear, withtick-boxes for each command option. By un-selecting the command option and clicking on ok, the movement tray will be modified accordingly.

Measuring in UB: there are three types of rulers on UB, a 12”, a 24” (fixed rulers) and a ruler that can be modified. Weirdly enough, the fixed rulers are the more accurate ones and the ones that are more widely used when playing games. The modular one is good for marking the deployment zones.

FAQ:

Q: Can I add magic items to the description of models?

A: Yes, there are two ways to do that. For entire units, the best way is to write the information in the unit name before placing it on the field. Example: “Forest Guardians LA Shield Banner of Speed”. This way, your opponent knows what the unit can do just by hovering his mouse cursor over it.

The secondway applies to characters/single models. You can add equipment in the unit’sdescription tab (the one you can access by selecting the model and clicking onthe (i) icon at the bottom). Once the tab pops up, you click on the small iconat the upper right hand corner, then write your items/rules on the tab andclick ok. Now every time your opponents selects the model and clicks on the(i), your magic items’ names will appear.

Q: Can I mix and match models from different templates?

A: Yes, to do that you click on the menu tab when inside the game, then "change army".

I'll update this with more info as I go, but this should be enough to get you started!

@tiny @Squigkikka @Herminard

The post was edited 2 times, last by SmithF ().

• Page wrote:

I was thinking that if some one more skilled than me could make some UB armies with all the possible options for each faction, this would make it easier for new to UB players. I have just made some of my own, but they are not the best.
      @Lorenzo @tiny

I'm already working on that, don't worry I got you covered! I just didn't tell anyone yet. Should be ready in 1-2 weeks (along with a more elaborate guide thread and such (incorporating this one here)).
    • Draecarion wrote:

Page wrote:

I was thinking that if some one more skilled than me could make some UB armies with all the possible options for each faction, this would make it easier for new to UB players. I have just made some of my own, but they are not the best.
      @Lorenzo @tiny
      I'm already working on that, don't worry I got you covered! I just didn't tell anyone yet. Should be ready in 1-2 weeks (along with a more elaborate guide thread and such (incorporating this one here)).
      You are my hero! :D
    • Page wrote:

You are my hero!
      I have been planning this for a while now. The new and bigger UB thread (with army-model templates) is just going to be one branch of a bigger "master thread" that will be called "The 9th Age for beginners: how to get started". I'm starting from the bottom, first creating all the "branches" of the master thread, that is, the specific topics and then I create the centralized master thread that takes the newbie by the hand and guides him/her through absolutely everything ;)

But one step at a time. It will still take weeks or even months until I'm finished with all of that.
    • Draecarion wrote:

Page wrote:

You are my hero!
      I have been planning this for a while now. The new and bigger UB thread (with army-model templates) is just going to be one branch of a bigger "master thread" that will be called "The 9th Age for beginners: how to get started". I'm starting from the bottom, first creating all the "branches" of the master thread, that is, the specific topics and then I create the centralized master thread that takes the newbie by the hand and guides him/her through absolutely everything ;)
      But one step at a time. It will still take weeks or even months until I'm finished with all of that.
      Tag me in the threads as and when they come up! Just so you know I play Infernal |Dwarfs and Skaven :D lol Got my first tournament coming up in 2 months. So for me 4 months of playing for my first tournament! Keep up the good work! :D
    • Maybe wrong spot to ask this, but for people using UB how do you normally set up characters? i've fooled around with it a while back and i'm keen to give it a go at some point (anyone want to have a quick game with a UB noobie sometime?) but one thing i couldn't work out was how to add a character to a unit or how to distinguish a character. I guess you could just say the model next to the standard bearer is x character, is that how you do it?
    • outbreak wrote:

Maybe wrong spot to ask this, but for people using UB how do you normally set up characters? i've fooled around with it a while back and i'm keen to give it a go at some point (anyone want to have a quick game with a UB noobie sometime?) but one thing i couldn't work out was how to add a character to a unit or how to distinguish a character. I guess you could just say the model next to the standard bearer is x character, is that how you do it?
      Basically remove one guy from the front rank and then drop the character on the green space and that should work :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Page ().

• Page wrote:

Basically rmove one guy from the front raank and then drop the caracter on the green space and that should work
      Exactly. For some unit sizes I also just make the unit one rank or file wider than I need it. Then I delete that additional rank/file to get the space I need for the character on the unit base.

outbreak wrote:

I guess you could just say the model next to the standard bearer is x character, is that how you do it?
      I use specialized models, with different equipment than R&F and additional effects (glow, flames, etc.).
    • Quick update:
      Because I'm now both Global Moderator and a member of the PR team I simply don't have enough time to create a model range for every army. Instead I will open a thread next week, where I will collect the submissions of users in the first post (crediting the creators of course), so everyone can find them easily. My own submission will be the first entry (HBE). I have to delegate a bit more, no time to do everything myself :P
    • Good stuff. I'd just add two basic things I see a lot of new people forgetting/asking:
      - explain how to private message someone with typing. (this is especially useful for those who want to ask questions, without getting in the way of the log of chat and dice rolls)
      - reminder that when you set up a game you need to give permissions to players who come in.
    • Stupid question time: when designing units, do i build an individual model with a (let's say) 20x20mm infantry base, and then put a whole bunch of them on the field as a unit? Or do i build a whole unit (let's say 30 models) and choose a base size large enough (let's say 6x5, so 120mmx100mm) for teh whole unit?

(Because i can copy the sprite, but not the base, so i can't prebuild units with multiple bases?)
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ