The Battle of the Gates of Kislev

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• The Battle of the Gates of Kislev

Hello everybody,

Our group have been playing and organizing events (tournaments, meetings, tutorials…) for years around the city of Barcelona. As we grow up, we search for new challenges: more epic and larger battles, as you can see in some pics attached. Last year, we play a 20.000 vs 10.000 points siege battle in a game set in the GW’s campaign (or… whatever it was…) The End Times. Some months ago, another epic battle between two armies of 12.000 points was played. Both armies, fully painted.

You can see one of our previous battles here: youtube.com/channel/UCuRsk2Iq9PZoC3XPLAPePEQ (video)
      and here: thefallofaltdorf.blogspot.com.es/

Some weeks ago we met a group of wargamers with the same ambitions as our group and we started to plan the most epic Fantasy battle ever played. We search on the net about the largest Fantasy battle ever played and we found an Australian club called Hoodling’s Hole (with whom we are now in touch), who have been playing large battles. The last and biggest of them, with 40.000 points per side. This is the largest Fantasy battle ever played, as far as we know.

After looking at the background of Warhammer for the major battles occurred before The End Times, we decided to chose The Battle at the Gates of Kislev. This confrontation took place in the year 2.303 (by imperial calendar) and assumed the end of the so-called Great War against Chaos.
      As you can see in the background, many famous special characters were involved in this battle for both sides: Teclis, Magnus the Pious, Kholek Suneater...

We decided to use 9th Age rulebook, which is, in our opinion, the best of all fanmade rules that have appeared recently. From here we take the opportunity to applaud the enormous work they have done. The battle is a tribute to their work. We will use it in a 40000 poitns per side battle, using all paitned miniatures.

This battle also wants to be a motivation and an inspiration to all warhammer players, rookies or veterans. That is why we will focus on three aspects of the hobby: background, miniatures and scenery.

We will make a great effort to collect, transform and paint hundreds of miniatures, so we thought that the battleboard had to keep up. We have designed a specific battleground and scenery for this game, which table measures 1.80m wide per 6m long (5ft 2" wide per 19ft 8" long). But in this case the size is not important; or at least not only. To prepare the board we decided to use the amazing scenery of Tabletop World. The battlefield will recreate the cold and harsh landscape around the city of Kislev (similar to the Russian steppe) and will include a bridge over a partially frozen river, a mill, a watchtower ... and a part of Kislev itself! Stay tuned for developments that will publish here periodically.[/i]

You can see our work in progress here: thegatesofkislev.blogspot.com.es/

To the point, we have sheduled our game for October, full weekend deserved to it, but we have lots of works to do before that!

We need to create some rules for this Special Characters that will participate on the Battle, and who else better to help us with that task than the 9th age experts of each army we need your help! Especially you @Krokz , @pk-ng and @greentide, @Squigkikka . If you have the time we would like your insight in rules matter, to make some balanced, cool, powerful but not complicated rules. It's hard to track and remeber everything in a 80000 points game!

Empire

- Kislevite troops: I was thinking on granting them Thunderous Charge and Hatred for + 3 ppm to distinct them from normal empire troops.

- Magnus von Bildhoffen: Blessed by the Empire god. Founder of Empire.

- Ar-Ulric Kriestov. Ulric high priest

- Volans. Lore of Light, first Teclis disciple

- Frederik von Tarnus: Imperial Guard who discovered he got magic abilities. Was self exiled and came back to fight chaos. Lore of Fire and proficient with martial arts.

- Big Kislevite cannon: made with parts of Ogre cannon:

- Huge War Altar. and i mean huge is huge. It will be like 10 times bigger than current one. For reference:

- Zar Alexander: Kislev king mounted on a Bear.

Highborn

- Teclis: Do i need to explain who he is?

- Finreir: Archmage who was with teclis, died by a Keeper of Secrets.

- Yrtle: Archamage who was with teclis.

Dwarfves

- Gran rei Alriksson: Dwarf high king

- Asavar Kul el Ungido: Chaos everchosen

- Engra Deathsword: Number 2 of Asavar army.

- Kholek Suneater, probably glottkin size

- Arbaal the Invencible,

- Valnir the Reaper

- Scyla:

Also @tiny I don't know if this belongs here. Theres no place on the forum for something like Hobby in General?
      Visit our blog, Escribas del Viejo Mundo!
    • Kratos wrote:

Also @tiny I don't know if this belongs here. Theres no place on the forum for something like Hobby in General?
      Hmmm... I think this would either fit into the User-Blog or Battle-Report section.

Shall I move it?
    • Kratos wrote:

If you have the time we would like your insight in rules matter, to make some balanced, cool, powerful but not complicated rules.
      Hey, Kratos
      Sounds exciting, I´d gladly help out. I have two questions though:
      1. Will you propose rules for these heroes and we shall evaluate/check them or do you want us to create those rules completely?
      2. Most of us aren´t gamedesigners. Sure, we can rather balance out strengths and weaknesses of those special characters,
      but it´s difficult to assess their influence in a 24.000 points-battle...
      Kruber wrote:
      Imperial Rangers burn the woods ---> Sylvan Elves go cry in the corner.
    • Hi Greentide,

I am one of those mad guys who are planning to make this battle. What we are searching is different for some of these special characters.
      Some of them already have stats and rules, but in different editions. For Scyla, Arbaal and Valnir, we pretend to use their rules appeared in the supplement: Champions of Chaos (I think this was its name in english) for 6th edition. For Kholek, we will use the rules of Chaos Army book of 7th edition, and finally, for Teclis, his rules in 8th edition. These are the best versions of each character.
      In these cases we only need their points value adapted for 9th Age.

For the rest of them is different. There was never rules for Asavar Kul or Volans (as far as I know). So, we ask for your advice to create their complete rules. Of course, using their background... if you know that! For example, Magnus was not a formidable fighter; he was a priest, a leader, not a warrior.

We thought it could be cool that designers of Empire of Sonnsthal and Warriors of the Dark Gods books, could contribute on this event.
      Visit our blog, The Gates of Kislev!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rogers ().

• What do you need guys? Need some specific questions first, otherwise I cannot answer them ;)

Greetings,
      Kathal
      "When four Kings abdicate their thrones, do you really have a Kingdom anymore?"

I kind have a "blog" now: From Beer and Bretzle vol 2

[ETC 2016 - ID] [ETC 2017 - WDG] [ETC 2018 - ID] [ETC 2019 - ID]
    • Kratos wrote:

- Asavar Kul el Ungido: Chaos everchosen -> Should have the "Mark-of-all-four-Dark Gods-rule" (Like Archaon) and Ld 10

- Engra Deathsword: Number 2 of Asavar army. -> I think I would look at the old "Chrome" model, from the Storm of Chaos book. He has some pretty fun rules, and they made a model for him

- Kholek Suneater, probably glottkin size -> Was it not in the battle for Pragh he busted the city walls with his hammer ?

- Arbaal the Invencible,-> Give him Unbreakable and the "lone-character" rule (can not join units). He is just TO nasty, for anyone wants to ride with him :)

- Valnir the Reaper -> I must admit, I do not know the model :(

- Scyla: I guess Scyla is just Scyla

Christoffer
      Banned for posting memes - twice :D

Herminard wrote:

*nerfs are so 2016
    • Hi,

This is the background of the battle.

Thanks Greentide, your contributions are appreciated.

Kathal, as a servant of the Dark Gods, we need rules, points and profiles for the specials characters written above: Asavar Kul, Kholek Suneater, Engra Deathsword, Arbaal the Undefeated and Valnir the Reaper. It's only for a friendly game, not for a competition; doesn't matter if they are 20 points cheaper or not than they should be... Our idea is to make a large battle and advertise 9th Age in Spain. So, we thought that you could contribute on that creating these characters.

There was rules for Arbaal, Scyla and Valnir in 5th Wh. edition:

So, in theses cases we pretended to use these profiles, but need a new balance points and, if you consider, some special rules.
      For Asavar Kul and Engra Deatsword we need a complete character rules.

Blutch, this is Engra Deathsword:

Asavar Kul:

And yes, Kholek is who destroyed the walls of Praag, before fighting in Kislev.

Roger
    • Rogers wrote:

Kholek Suneater
      This is how I would make Kholek in T9A.

Display Spoiler
      Kholek (one of a kind) 500 pts single model

MWSBSSTWIALd
      883868179Monster50x100mm base

Special Rules: Immune to Psychology, Innate Defence (4+), Lord of the Storm, Lightning Rage

Equipment: Star Maul, Heavy Armour.

Star Maul
      Type: Hand Weapon. Multiple Wounds (D3)

Lord of the Storm
      One unit of Elder Dragon Centaurs in your army can take any Mark of the Dark Gods instead of True Chaos.
      At the start of Shooting phase roll D6. If 2+ is rolled Kholek hits a unit 24" away and in its front arc with lightning bolt that does D6 S6 hits with Lightning attack Special rule. If you you rolled 1 at start of Shoting Phase Kholek hits himself with that Lightning bolt. You can use this attack even if Kholek is engaged in Combat.

• Thank you Krokz, this is exactly what we want.
      Anyway, I pretend to make the model using GW "carnosaur" (for the lower part of the miniature) and "gorgon" (for the upper). So, Maybe in a Gargantula base could be better (150x100mm).

pk-ng wrote:

pk-ng wrote:

I'm excited to chip in.
      So I assume you want me to make rules for Finreir and Yrtle?
      You assume right! Do you know that guys?
    • Rogers wrote:

Thank you Krokz, this is exactly what we want.
      Anyway, I pretend to make the model using GW "carnosaur" (for the lower part of the miniature) and "gorgon" (for the upper). So, Maybe in a Gargantula base could be better (150x100mm).

pk-ng wrote:

pk-ng wrote:

I'm excited to chip in.
      So I assume you want me to make rules for Finreir and Yrtle?
      You assume right! Do you know that guys?
      I've read some of the end-times stuff on them but if there are additional reading material that'll be even better.
      Anyone got anything to suggest?
      :HE: Beware of the panda....with big guns
    • It's not from End of Times period but two hundred years before, in 2.303 (by imperial Calendar), when men didn't control the paths of magic yet.

From warhammer wiki (warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/):

As the new year began, Magnus finished consolidating his army and split it into two mighty forces: one of infantry and one of cavalry, setting Ar-Ulric Kriestov to lead the former and heading the latter himself. With their greater mobility the cavalry force headed towards Kislev to buy time for the second half of the army. In Talabheim Magnus met with Pieter Lazlo, who was accompanied by three High Elves. The war had reached its crisis point as the Forces of Chaos prepared to cross the border into the Empire.
      The Elves were powerful archmages, namely Teclis and his two comrades, Finreir and Yrtle. Although Magnus had a strong faith in Sigmar he did not have the same faith in the men he led. Despite knowing they could defeat any mortal enemy, the daemons of Chaos were not mortal. Magnus knew that the advantage the armies of Chaos had over his own lay in the Winds of Magic, but traditionally any man of the Empire who dabbled with magic was seen as a pawn of Chaos himself. With the help of the High Elves, however, a new system could be devised to allow humans to wield the winds without opening themselves to corruption. With this new status quo possible, Magnus declared an amnesty to those who could use magic, subject to the judgement of the High Elves. Teclis and his brethren subsequently used their own arts to assemble those who could be taught.
      The High Elven wizard Teclis and his companions had joined Magnus during the march north and assisted him with their advice and magic and also trained a few of the Imperial wizards in how to use magic to defend their brethren.

In The Empire Army book of 6th ed. appears a short story, a letter written by Teclis himself, who explains the fight against chaos and their role in the war. Teclis said that Yrtle fell fighting against a powerful Keeper of Secrets. Finreir and Teclis survived the battle and after that, Teclis founded the School of Magic. The magic item "staff of Volans" is, actually, the staff of Yrtle; Teclis gives it to Volans, his better disciple, as a symbol of his new status when he becames the first Patriarch of the Colleges of Magic.

So, the three mages are powerful. Teclis was relatevely young at this period, but he was already recognized as one of the best elven mages. Finreir and Yrtle were similar in magic skills, but older, with more experience.
    • If you need another "source" of background, look here: whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

I used it quite a lot back in the days, since it was (is?) the biggest one out there.

Greetings,
      Kathal
      "When four Kings abdicate their thrones, do you really have a Kingdom anymore?"

I kind have a "blog" now: From Beer and Bretzle vol 2

[ETC 2016 - ID] [ETC 2017 - WDG] [ETC 2018 - ID] [ETC 2019 - ID]