The Great Horde of Chaos

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Nesgoth wrote:

@Tyranno regarding the Lust chosen, it depends on what you want their role to be.

Halberds are always good on them but ahw are great against elves as they quite often hit first or simultaneously (I 6!). I tend to run ahw on my lust chosen but it also depends on what the army needs otherwise ofcourse.
      Actually mine are just Warriors, not Chosen.

The only Chosen I have so far are the massive Nurgle guys.

Thing is with no Army List I do not have a role for them yet.
      I already have un-Marked Warriors with Halberds, Un-Marked with Shields, Khorne with Halberd, Nurgle with Halberds, Tzeentch with Shields. So quite a variety at my disposal, I was hoping Lust made one option obviously better, guess not :P.
    • Tyranno wrote:

Nesgoth wrote:

@Tyranno regarding the Lust chosen, it depends on what you want their role to be.

Halberds are always good on them but ahw are great against elves as they quite often hit first or simultaneously (I 6!). I tend to run ahw on my lust chosen but it also depends on what the army needs otherwise ofcourse.
      Actually mine are just Warriors, not Chosen.
      The only Chosen I have so far are the massive Nurgle guys.

I already have un-Marked Warriors with Halberds, Un-Marked with Shields, Khorne with Halberd, Nurgle with Halberds, Tzeentch with Shields. So quite a variety at my disposal, I was hoping Lust made one option obviously better, guess not :P.
      Oh I see! Wow, you're gonna play the blight knights as chosen? How are you going to rank them up? Seems really hard!

Warriors overall I like with Halberds or Shields. Perhaps ahw for pestilence to even out the I or GW, also due to I.

It really does depend a lot on the list though... If you really want to be sure you'll give them the right equipment I think you'd have to wait until april-may for the full Army book..
    • Nesgoth wrote:

Tyranno wrote:

Nesgoth wrote:

Actually mine are just Warriors, not Chosen.The only Chosen I have so far are the massive Nurgle guys.

Oh I see! Wow, you're gonna play the blight knights as chosen? How are you going to rank them up? Seems really hard!
      Warriors overall I like with Halberds or Shields. Perhaps ahw for pestilence to even out the I or GW, also due to I.

It really does depend a lot on the list though... If you really want to be sure you'll give them the right equipment I think you'd have to wait until april-may for the full Army book..
      They rank up perfectly fine...because I built them 1 rank at a time, taking into account each model as I did so. The guy in the dead middle was a pain, but once done they fit together very snugly.
      There is a photo showing them all ranked up earlier, and how each rank looks on its own.

Right. Guess there is no harm in finishing the other little bits about them though while I wait.
    • Sorry about the lack of photos recently. So here is an apology!

Firstly some old Pestigors that I managed to get a hold of/had lying around.

It may be damaged and it may need paint stripping. But I got the limited edition Beastmen battle standard bearer model! Why in hell a model essential to the dam army was limited I have no idea...

Next some Slaanesh Chaos Warriors. Or rather just the command squad. I am looking to give them a more slim appearance to the usual warriors. And their "topless" torsos are actually going to be painted like metal. Basically like Greek Hoplites who had their armour look like their pecs to intimidate foes.

Next up the Khorne Forsaken. Will be getting green-stuff and plenty of things to smooth bits out. I have plenty of mutation bits from across the years to customize these guys. They will be getting shoulder-pads and fur coats later to make them look more impressive than the standard Marauders I use.
      But I am wondering on what kind of Unit size? As I have an idea for any Marauder models leftover.

Last but not least my Kaadai Destroyer. This is quite an extensive conversion, designed to look like a mix of the art and 1 beta model of this beast before it was scrapped.
      I am going to trim the right-hand knuckle-blade to make it sit on it's base nicely. As right now it basically cannot stand properly :P.

Hope you all enjoyed this! Peace!
    • Hey! Sorry about being gone so long! Life stuff yadda yadda yadda, and I have been doing my usual antics of rotating my Armies attention around, instead focusing on my Nippon forces (If you wish to see that, just say and I might make a separate blog for it!). I also worked more on my Lizardmen, specifically one model; and since I spent a week SOLID on this magnificent creature, I thought I would show it off.

But here, works better if you play this first ;)

Has it got to the good bit yet? It has? Right........welcome to Jurassic Park!

We have a T-Rex!
      This is the first thing I EVER wanted to do with green stuff after I found out what it could be used for in Warhammer. And now, many years later, here it is! My Tyrannosaurus Rex!

Of course this beautiful creature is not complete yet. It still requires feathers on the back of her neck (Yes it is a she...females were bigger, and trust me this model is MASSIVE) the tip of her tail, some more detail on her head, especially around the back of her eyes and her rider needs to be attached.

If you want to see more of her, just let me know and I will take some more shots.

My Razorgor next. Just the single piggy, and it currently lacks it's spikes. But it makes the perfect model to use, as it also fits on the base very snugly.

A more complete Ghorgon now. He is standing and has his right arms almost complete. Horns are unattached for now until I can finish sculpting the neck.
      But I have some cool parts planned for him, including some correctly sized hands from the giant kit.

Tzeentch Sorcerers; in a triad. They may look a bit 40K for now, but I will add fur cloaks to them to help cover that up.

Tzeentch Warriors now, still assembling a whole unit's worth of arms and shields for them, so not near completion just yet.

As for future projects, I plan to work more on my Chaos Dwarves, which will include some MASSIVE Bull Centaur characters to fit in with my already hulking Bull Centaurs I already have. So stay tuned for that!

Th-th-th-that's all folks!
    • I just found this thread last night, when I couldn't sleep. I also love the conversions! Most of them are just awesome! Wow!

Can you give me a hint, from what you have build the razorgor? It's not a conversion of one of the new orc boars, is it?

I'm not sure yet, but I think I would like to go into one of these two directions with my razorgor conversions, yours or the one in the link.
    • daliskhan wrote:

great stuff! that t-rex looks awesome!
      Thanks! I am glad all my hard work paid off :D

Henrypmiller wrote:

Love the conversions.

What are you using the trex for in the hoard?
      She is not going in my Chaos army. She is going in my Lizardmen army as a mount instead.

teclis2000 wrote:

I just found this thread last night, when I couldn't sleep. I also love the conversions! Most of them are just awesome! Wow!

Can you give me a hint, from what you have build the razorgor? It's not a conversion of one of the new orc boars, is it?

I'm not sure yet, but I think I would like to go into one of these two directions with my razorgor conversions, yours or the one in the link.
      Thank you! Glad to have another fan :D

Of course! And no it is not a new boar (I used them for my chariots instead)

games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ironjawz-Orruk-Gore-Gruntas
      ^ I used these. With the riders legs cut off and replaced with a wall of greenstuff, then later greenstuff fur. Then add spikes and beastman shields to taste. Of course I do not advocate buying from GW directly. I used bits sites and other players to acquire my Razorgors without buying a bunch of un-needed orcs.

(I am not trying to sway your decisian...but my way is easier to do and creates far bulkier boars, worthy of T5 W3)

LoreSeeker wrote:

Lots of tasty stuff! The warriors with weapons from the Tzaangor kit look ace!
      Thanks!
      I am running a little low on them (and certainly shields) right now, so I might need to get some Tzaangor boxes for general use....(Possibly as simple Gor units with a different totem to my other ones)
    • ROTTEN_FACTORY wrote:

Everything looks great so far. Keep going !
      With pleasure!

Right so this is going to be a bit of a different post...wait wait wait, don't you go anywhere just yet....at least take a look before running for the hills :P.

Right. So as I was saying. This is going to be a battle-report post.
      I have managed to get some friends together to play 9th, and we might be going to some tournies etc, and of course we have been playing some games, seeing how we feel the game and the like.
      Now, as someone who heavily played 8th I am quite used to a lot of early 9th rules, not not so much the update. Nevertheless I am not one to back down from a challenge. So, without much further rambling, here are some small battle reports from me using Warriors and Beasts.

This first one is a Warriors vs Skaven game. It was about 2000pts, Skaven took turn 1.

On the left is my chariot, followed by some Hand weapon and shield warriors lead by a Nurgle Lord, another chariot, some simple hand Weapon and Shield Warriors, then lastly my Shaggoth (2 hand weapons version).

On my opponents field there is an out of shot Doomwheel on the left, a pair of rat ogres, Clan rats, stormvermin, giant rats, Plague Priests a fire thrower and behind it a Lightning Cannon.

I did not take photos all the way through, so bear with me.

Early game I shot my Shaggoth in a bee-line towards the right. I did not like the thought of the T4 plague guys playing grind game vs my simple warriors and decided to snuff them and the fire thrower out.

Things took a bad turn when one chariot nearly got 1-shotted by the lightning cannon, forcing me to add it to me Shaggoth's "to-do list".

The doomwheel began a merry parade of going through anything it touched like a hot knife through butter (god I hate them...). But thankfully the Shaggoth was equally as devastating, kicking the Plague Priests on a one way trip to hell after smacking the fire thrower that had tried to move itself in front to get a cheeky shot off earlier.

Eventually the battle got to this state, with the Doomwheel and Shaggoth doing the majority of the killing. The chariots, smaller warriors unit and Giant rats all got taken out around here.

The Doomwheel tried to get into the big grinding combat between the Warriors and Clan Rats, but got dismantled by the Shaggoth very promptly, who overran into the Rat Ogres and killed them off, but not before being flanked by the Storm Vermin, and proceeded to show them that size matters.

All in all a bloody game that was both very grindy (Clan-Rats, Warriors) and very killy (Shaggoth, Doomwheel)
      Victory for Warriors.

Game 2. Warriors vs Dark Elves. About 2500pts, Dark Elves took turn 1

Here I was using the same list as before, with the additino of a Nurgle Chosen unit and my General dropping the mark of nurgle.

Here my opponent had: (left to right) Dark Riders, Bolt Thrower, Crossbowmen, Cold One Knights, Lord on Cold One, another bolt thrower, Black Guard and some Acolytes.

This match was a pain for a slower army, with the bolt throwers relentlessly picking off the warriors units as they tried to make their merry way over to make them stop. The first one was caught by a chariot.

The Shaggoth got bogged down with the Acolytes thanks to a 3 turn stall of rolling 3/4 1's to hit in a row. The Cold Ones quickly engaged with the Warriors and broke through them, with the black guard and the Nurgle Chosen facing off. The Dark Riders were run over by one of the chariots in the mean-time.

From here the Chosen broke the Black Guard and chased them off, while the Shaggoth did the same to it's targets.

After the over-run, the Knights turned around only to be charged in the front by the Shaggoth, who did what it did best, causing the lord to break and be caught by the titan. While the final chariot managed to kill the second bolt thrower with 1 wound remaining.
      Victory for Warriors.

Ok, from here the Beastmen take over.

Beasts vs Dark Elves. 3000pts

From left to right: Razorgor, Jabberwocky, Ghorgon, Cyclops, Beastlord on Chariot, Shaman on Chariot, 2 Tuskgor Chariots and Harpies. And behind the opponent, two Gor units with the Black Wing Totem.

For my opponent: Dark Riders, Acolytes, Executioners with Cauldron, Witch Elves, Shades (with Assassin...shhhh), more Shades and double Bolt Throwers.

As the game started my Jabberwock flew over to the opponents board and proceeded to cut the Executioner unit in half, thanks to combined shooting from the Cyclops. Unfortunately the big bird was charged and killed, but it put the Executioner unit in a very odd position. While one of the Chariots was shot to bits.

This came back to bite them as a triple charge of the larger Gor unit, Ghorgon and Beastlord was instantly engaged. Followed up by the Gors into the rear of the Witch Elves, and each chariot picking a separate target, while the Harpies took on the furthest Shades.

A pathetic series of Impact Hits thoroughly made each combat a lot harder. Thankfully the Beastlord bricked everything thrown at him; and despite wiffing ALL his attacks in return the Gors unleashed such a torrent of attacks that the entire Executioner unit was eliminated and the Cauldron with it.

The Ghorgon took too much damage from the combat, and a series of 6's from the Dark Riders took him out of the fight. The other gor unit was killed in one turn from the Witches, along with the Mage. The Harpies killed the Shades, before charging into the other unit and wiping them out too.

The Dark Riders then tried their luck with the Beastlord after it charged the Witch Elves, with both units being destroyed or running for their lives.

Cyclops was struck by the Acolytes, who he tore through, sealing the game for the Beastmen.

Beasts vs Dark Elves 3000pts

I am using the same list as last time. While the Dark Elves had: (Left to right) Dark Riders, Black Guard (a LOT of them), Double Bolt Thrower, Warriors with Cauldron. Dark Elves took the first turn.

My turn one saw Piggy run through the Dark Riders that got too close and emerge out the other side. With the Gors emerging from ambush.

Turn two and my opponent turned 180 to face the beasts, while trying to get some last shots off with the bolt thrower. Both Gors charged the Bolt Throwers, with the left being destroyed and overrun into the Black Guard, while the other one managed to hold out a turn.

On one side the Black Guard wiped out the Gors and turned around, and the Warriors charge the Gors, with neither side breaking.

Jabberwock and Beastlord rammed the Black Guard, while the Ghorgon decided to spank the warrior's booty.

The Ghorgon and Gors made an absolute mess of the Warriors, while the Jabberwock got some kills before dying, but the Lord took everything on the chin and dished it back out over two turns.

Back to my turn saw two more of my Chariots hit the Black Guard, where he game was conceded.
      Victory to Beastmen.

Beastmen vs Skaven 3000pts

Same list of mine again (although afterwards I have sought to change a few things). On the Rats side: (left to right) Giant Rats, Slaves, Naptha Thrower, Slaves+Meat Grinder, Stormvermin, Plague Monks with Massive Plague Censor, Storm Fiends and an off-screen Doomwheel...again. Rats took turn 1.

Turn one saw the Doomwheel try to pot-shot my piggy, but it misfired and spun around, exposing it's flank which the pig gleefully took and hammered into, shattering the over-inflated Hamster Wheel in one turn.

The Jabberwock(Cockatrice) attempted to charge the fire thrower, who voluntarily fled, and then re-directed it's charge right into the Stormvermin's flank. This combat was as swift as it was bloody, with almost three ranks of Storm Vermin being melted by the Cockatrice's fetid breath, eaten or stomped on by it's massive claws. The giant chicken then over-ran into the Plague Monks where it was counter charge and eventually killed off after taking some rats with it.

The Gors struck the Storm Fiends front as they turned to face them, while the Harpies hit the flank. The monsters were broken and sent scurrying away for now.

In the meantime the Beastlord and Ghorgon took on the massive Plague Monk unit. Neither side giving an inch as both units ground against each other. The Ghorgon regaining wounds bit by bit as the Beastlord shrugged off everything thrown at it.

The Gors and a Chariot hit the slaves and were bogged down in combat for some time.

Eventually the second Gor unit joined the fray with the Plague Monks, as well as the Razorgor. While the Meat Grinder Slaves killed the Shaman, overran into the Cyclops and took it out too, before afterwards attempting a rear charge on the Beastlord.

But the Beastlord simply kept killing, with the Plague monks finally losing enough ranks to drop their leadership to normal levels and breaking from combat, with the Pig forcing them to flee into the now freed-up Gors, killing them.

A victory for the Beastmen.

Now there were a few battles I did not record (not many though, like 1/2), mostly small scale.

On review I have decided to remove the Cyclops. While fun, he never did earn his points back in more than 1 game. While the Jabberwock proved its ferocity time and again.

So I will be adding another of the "Beastmen Dragon's" to my list...

^This is my current project. But not the Forge World one, too small. I need something...bigger. (And I need to find some large Antlers from..somewhere)

To save on some points, and to add even more resilience, my Harpies will be swapped for another Razorgor.

And I will also be trying out a new Totem on one beastman unit (Mark of Khorne rather than Slaanesh), and we will be upping our points games to 3500, so a Battle Standard Bearer shall now be included.

But for now, that's all folks!
    • Dan wrote:

So when someone says: "Hey let's play a 3,000 point game", how do you look at 50,000 points in Warriors and decide what to take?
      An interesting question Arnie.

Personally, especially back when we were only using 2000pts, I went for looks. It is why I picked my; semi-painted warriors, Shaggoth and Chosen for these matches.
      They look coolest and are visually impressive. Also it seemed the Shaggoth is just an absolute monster, so that helped xD.

As for Beasts, well I still have remnants of my old 8th list and just adapted it to the new books. Like, ambush is good finally, who knew! xD

And just to make sure this is not a purely word based post! Here!

Some more beastmen!
      I figured I would need some marked ones to show off the totems better. Plus I like the fact that Tzaangors now have models. And despite them being built for round bases, they can easily fit on and rank-up with 25mm squares.

And now for something completely different!

A pair of Flesh hounds. Not sure what to do with them, as 5 would cost a lot, and they would all look identical. Why there has not been a boxed set of them yet when the design is "done" is baffling.

Now for the really BIG one! I got a Lord of Change! It is surprisingly not that difficult to put together, and just like the Tzaangors fits very easily onto a square base, in this case a 50/100mm one.

He is absolutely massive and has kinda inspired me to work on my Daemon army. Or Even get a huge Great Unclean one to go with him....
    • TimW wrote:

How suited would you estimate that the Tzaangor would be to conversions? I'm thinking of picking them up and converting them into some Change/Tzeentch WDG-unit or just to have for spare parts.
      Another good question.

Short answer, not very.

They are separated into very odd parts that inhibit converting heavily. For example, the arms and pecs are one piece. And the heads are separated into a different face, pairs of horns and neck; which makes them attach the spine to the back of their skull. So not useful for making anything human-like.

Their shields are very nice however, and perfect for Tzeentch warriors (you get 12 in a box of 10)

So the best solution I can give is to wait until a friend who plays Beastmen picks them up, then when they build them as the paired weapons version (because Gors never ever use shields, and quite frankly shouldn't xP) just ask for the shields.

I hope that was helpful :).
    • Surprise!

I'm back!

And this time I will be bringing more of my beasts to bare.

First up are my Tzaangors. I am running them 24 strong, so I just need 3 more models to finish the unit off...which I should have laying around.
      These are very pretty models, and shockingly not that difficult to rank up...seriously :O.

This is my Beastlord's Chariot. Sans actual Beastlord as I wanted to get the cool skull at the back in full shot xP. He is *this* close to making people rage-quit the second he hits the table haha!

My Centigor Hero. Built out of an Exalted Tzaangor, this guy will be a greater totem bearer (I give units with Totems Marks of Chaos to differentiate them)

Wip Minotaurs. I have FINALLY settled on a design, and have found a head that I find satisfactory (not pictured here). Once these are up and running I will be taking copious amounts of pictures of them.

Here we have some detailed images of my Cockatrice (terrible puns abound with this one...). I am very happy with how smoothly some of the sculpting came out on this one.

He still needs feathers in some areas and his wings (from the Daemon Prince kit) will be added much later to allow maximum reach before they are attached.

Here we have my work on the Preyton. This is the big green stag-monster from the other page. Or at least it will be.

Rules-wise this is my Jabberwocky, as quite frankly as brilliant as it is having a Dragon in the beastmen army...there is no way I can make such an odd creature look badass in my eyes xP.

Here we have my Ghorgon. This is still a way off completing, with plenty of sculpting needed on its legs and back. Plus the two missing digits.

But he has come leaps and bounds since last time and is quite clearly looking closer to the finished product I had in mind from the beginning with him.

Ok that should be it for now. Any questions leave them below! I am always happy to answer! :D
    • TimW wrote:

I like your another-word-for-rooster-as-the-forum-won't-let-me-type-it! :D
      Haha! Thanks xD. It is getting a lot more work on it, to make it look less like a Carnosaur that I just stuck a chicken head onto, so expect more on it soon!

maxxev wrote:

Really nice stuff going on here, very interested to see the minotaur conversions
      Ask and you shall receive! xD

While they still lack heads (I shall be adding those near the end to give me more room to operate around the horns) the Minotaurs now have a lot more of a "gritty" look to them and have lost some of their Tzeentian trinkets. Also you cannot see it easily here, but I chopped off their tails; they were to much of a problem when they ranked up.

So far I have 5 out of 6 of the models needed, so nearly got them all xP. But the Minotaurs are not my no1 priority at the moment, which I shall explain at the end.

But first! Here there be giants!

(I am not sure why it is shrinking the images like this...it is really annoying me)

This is my Beast Giant! Complete with barrel of ale and bestial features!

I was always a bit confused how the GIANT model was smaller than the Ghorgon/Cygor one (well, it is clearly just GW 1-up-manship...) so I decided to fix that. This giant is a LOT larger than all my other Beast Herds monsters, despite his hilariously smaller base xD

I also never liked the Ghorgon's head; always looked far to large for it's body and was just not very well proportioned in general (why is it so wiiiiide -_-), but the rest of the body was not so bad. Easy solution? Smaller head. Add some badass horns to make the giant resemble some older artwork and viola! A giant that looks bigger, more menacing, and still an edge of silliness.

Now, as to why the Minos are on the "backburner", I have a tournament coming up in a few months and I could not squeeze the angry bulls onto the list, so they will have to wait their turn while the rest of my army is finished off for it.

Thanks for reading :).