New models from Games Workshop

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GW's market is their market, we do not even aim to compete with them. They make their models in china in plastic. We make ours out of resin in Europe. Our product will be better quality and more expensive for the more elite customer, as resin production is insanly more epensice then plastic.

While GW aims to please the masses with cheep plastic. GW hides the poor quality by giving their models a WoW effect, ei. Lots od swirling parts that make the model look dynamic, and increasing the size of the models to hide the low quality of plastic. And it looks superb. But still they cant match the sharpness of detail of resin, do the the fact that plastic shrinks a lot more then resin, and the forms are very limiting to what detail can be cast. Not to mention the fact that you have to have open angles ever where. But its cheep, and GW is amazing at getting the most out of plastic. Casting resin is 20 times more expensive in resin then plastic. So if we make 1 model in resin, GW for the same price has 2 boxes of 10. We could never compete with that, nor do we want to.

The only reason we make units is the fact that we believe its better to have models for the 9th age, then not having them. Even if we don't really profit by making them. But with time we hope to be able to deliver plastics also.
  • Kanadian wrote:

in the scene that for one it will be designed for the 9th age, with better quality, scenic bases, and our TMS magnetic tray system included, that is for starters. We care more about the community then profit, more about models then PR, we put people first not sales, and things like that ;).
    Kanadian, do not misunderstand me when I say this. I very much respect all the effort and work you put into your website and into producing miniatures for 9th Age. And I also respect your desire to make miniatures for a community-based game.

However, I have to call you out on how you characterized GW, especially in light of the fact that there is really is no need for constant comparisons to them. GW made miniatures for Warhammer, you make miniatures for 9th Age now.

At the risk of sounding sarcastic here....I do not know of any company that exists to lose money. I do not know of any company that purposely intends to sell products to lose money. GW is a for-profit company that makes high-quality, world renown plastic and resin miniatures. GW, love or hate them, is a business, and they sell a high-quality product to a niche gaming community.

Now, your miniatures look awesome, don't get me wrong! I love the undead stuff especially, fantastic sculpts.

However, I must take you to task of your criticism of GW, spending ten seconds looking at the prices you are charging! All due respect, but your prices are HIGHER than GW's core regiments, and your individual character models are right on par with GW-level pricing and actually slightly worse for the size of the model you are getting! Worse, you are selling three-soldier packs of undead for 12.50 Euros. To field a unit of 20 of them would cost 75 Euros! That's like $85 US Dollars!!! I can get a GW regimental boxed set of skeltons for less than half that, and field twice as many. You are selling five skeleton cavalry for 40 Euros! For five. I'll let that speak for itself.

Even your bigger regimental boxes are 60 Euros for 20 soldiers. That's a better price, but hardly worth claiming that it is a vastly better deal than GW's core regiments. That price is about on par with GW for fielding the same amount of models, but it is certainly nothing to be bashing GW about.

I believe you are discovering that in order to make any money off the production of miniatures such as the ones you are producing, you have to charge prices that allow you to continue to produce more while also making enough profit to continue to run the business, the website, etc.

GW, to this very day, is selling their old boxed Core regiments from Warhammer for prices ranging about $35 for 15 or sometimes 20 soldiers. Their special and rare units like Dwarf Hammerers are $50 for ten soldiers. Some of their more basic Core regiments like ordinary dwarves are $35 dollars for 16 soldiers. Orcs are $30 for ten soldiers. Hardly outrageous pricing, actually pretty reasonable for building up an army of plastics!

Model for model, they have you beat price wise in every category. As a new player to the game, I would still use GW to fill out the bulk of my Core and special units, if I was doing undead, I might buy one of your command sets, or perhaps one or two character models. But your prices are NOT at ALL practical for someone trying to build up the ranks of an army with a certain amount of limited money, however much money that might be.

You can say as much as you like how much you want to support the community and want to treat the community better than GW supposedly never did - but your prices for your models (and your prices for terrain by the way) are not super consumer-friendly by an means. Your prices are set to exactly the standard that most sites charge.
    There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Baranovich ().

• Warboss_R'ok wrote:

Skarloc wrote:

it would at least require a 100x100mm square base
    I think that you would need at least 125x100mm rectangular if you look carefully at the 360 photos.
    My friend has one. He is using it as a Wyvern. He's also got some of the new massive boar riding ones that he's using as his Mounted Eadbashers. None of them come close to fitting the base or ranking up normally, but with some base building chicanery they look good now. With the 'Wyvern' we built a platform of rocks for it to be standing on widening out to about 100mm square at the top. You can still get base contact with infantry. It does get a bit hairy when you try to put it next to a Treefather Ancient though.
  • @Baranovich, I think you over interpreted my post, as I was not even thinking of criticizing GW, but I answered a question, what we TMS do better.

As for best price of toy soldiers GW is smoked by companies like this. where you pay 10 cents (USD) per model.

alibaba.com/product-detail/Ela….7906341.35.15.pQeogf&s=p
  • Yea GW has one of the best plastic models on the market. But between plastic metal and resin, plastic offers the lowest quality as far as details are concerned. Same goes for 3d modeling vs traditional sculpt, traditional sculpt is superior, do to low quality of print. Also it is much easier to learn 3d sculpting compared to the traditional approach.
    If you sum it all up for large companies it is much easier to get 3d models done and made in to plastic, then to go the insanely expensive resin casting.
  • I haven't seen yet any resin close to the quality of the recent GW plastic kits, but I'll hope you'll prove me wrong when I'll receive my UD pledge ;D

By quality I mean: details, sharpness (really thin blades, sharp edges, wings/hands that doesn't look too coarse/thick), assemble and adjustment (pieces fit perfectly, no need to green stuff too much to fill the gaps), solidity (no much breaking when models fall or get hit compared to some resins), no flash, no bubble, barely some mold lines but easy to clean with a knife, and all the cool things of plastic (conversions, easy to glue, light).

But well, with all the flaws and vices of GW, so that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

I think the latest GW plastic kit I had in hand was the morghast one. Can you do that level of details with resin? For example the wings, which are quite thin. Well maybe I'm mistaking details that you can have on a bulk piece (like feathers detailed on a bird) and possible thinness.

Maybe it's just that I haven't seen too much resin yet, mostly GW failcast (bent things, bubbles, pieces not fitting perfectly). SO I'm excited to get my hands on your products, TMS ;)

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Layout Team

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

• @Kanadian I was just wondering why resin spin casting produces higher quality models than injection moulding plastic? I always though you could get more detail with injection moulding, but for a higher start up cost and lower production cost (good for many parts). I agree that 10 years ago, plastic was inferior to resin in terms of detail, but I don't think that's the case anymore.
  • Indeed. If the sales pitch here is that Kanadian's resins are so much superior to GW's plastics, therefore GW is obsolete or something to that effect - again I say I don't understand why this has to be a contest. Just make miniatures for 9th Age, that's awesome. But why does it have to come along with bashing GW as if these miniatures are replacing them? They are not.

Kanadian makes some really nice resin castings, really nice quality fantasy miniatures. GW makes some of the best fantasy plastics out there, and their technology has improved even more since the release of AOS. If you haven't seen any of the AOS sprues for miniatures like the new Orruks, or some of the sprues for the new Khorne - well - let me tell you GW is doing things with molding technology that is insanely advanced, some of the pieces they cast I truly can't figure out how they could make a mold that would produce that shape, it seems impossible.

But all those things are cool! It's cool that Kanadian is making miniatures for 9th Age. It's also cool that Fireforge games has a whole line of Bretonnians/KOE plastics for 9th Age, etc. etc.

But when I see a sales pitch put forward that has to include what "GW never did for us"....um no. Considering that there are thousands of gamers on these boards whose armies are made up of a huge majority chunk of GW products(if not armies made up entirely of GW miniatures), among others, not to mention GW terrain, etc. It's just totally disingenuous to begin claiming that a new miniatures range is both vastly superior in quality and vastly superior price to GW. The former is up for debate, and the latter is outright untrue.

Kanadian's resins are nice, but they are NOT cheaper than GW model for model, indeed they are as expensive as sites like Scibor and other resin miniature makers.
    There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Baranovich ().

• Baranovich wrote:

But when I see a sales pitch put forward that has to include what "GW never did for us"....um no. Considering that there are thousands of gamers on these boards whose armies are made up a huge chunk of GW products(if not armies made up entirely of GW miniatures), among others, not to mention GW terrain, etc. It's just totally disingenuous to begin claiming that a new miniatures range is both vastly superior in quality and vastly superior price to GW. The former is up for debate, and the latter is outright untrue.

Kanadian's resins are nice, but they are NOT cheaper than GW model for model, indeed they are as expensive as sites like Scibor and other resin miniature makers.
    I love how you literally make up things Kanadian has said just so you can defend GW. You literally addressed NONE of the points he made.

I agree with him, GW is a pretty crap company. I have had only positive experiences with TMS so far, from the non existant mold lines, to the sharp crisp details (and ya he is right, the TMS resin hold a much sharper detail than GW plastic does), to the phenomenal customer service and involvement in the community. TMS alone as a company is head and shoulders above GW.

It also doesn't really matter how many people have an army made of GW models, when for a good chunk of time GW was the only company allowed to make official models for the only mass fantasy game. That is no longer the case, and the fact companies like TMS are growing and thriving indicates the community no longer cares what GW is doing, because there are far better companies willing to provide them models and interact with them.
  • Shortbeard wrote:

Warboss_R'ok wrote:

Skarloc wrote:

it would at least require a 100x100mm square base
    I think that you would need at least 125x100mm rectangular if you look carefully at the 360 photos.
    My friend has one. He is using it as a Wyvern. He's also got some of the new massive boar riding ones that he's using as his Mounted Eadbashers. None of them come close to fitting the base or ranking up normally, but with some base building chicanery they look good now. With the 'Wyvern' we built a platform of rocks for it to be standing on widening out to about 100mm square at the top. You can still get base contact with infantry. It does get a bit hairy when you try to put it next to a Treefather Ancient though.
    that's odd. I have the same models and will be using the maw crusher as an big spider. It fits on the same square base.

the gore gruntas actually fit quite nicely on a 100mm x 50mm base do just use them as chariots.
    The brutes are good as Cave Trolls.

I'll be using the megaboss on a 50mm X 100mm base. He will ge riding a Chariot.

You can easily use many of the AoS models as various T9A units. ...you might not get the most optimal unit, but it will still look cool.

The stormcast flying guys can be used as a Marshal on Pegasus.
    if you do some head swaps then you could use them as KoE pegasi units.
    ....I highly recommend headswaps either way.

I don't want T9A to make rules for GW models.
    But I do want T9A to expand its range of bases. There aren't many big bases.
    And its hard to find good looking new models from any company that fit on many of the tiny base sizes.