Show off your gaming table

• DeZwarteRidder wrote:

That's beautifully painted !
      Can you share the secret on the paints you used on the woodwork, stones and roof ?
      Thanks, much appreciated!

Certainly will, when I get back to my PC later on I'll post how I did it...
      There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!
    • DeZwarteRidder wrote:

That's beautifully painted !
      Can you share the secret on the paints you used on the woodwork, stones and roof ?
      Hey there DeZwarteRidder,

Here's the details behind how I do my stonework and wood.

One of the interesting and important things I learned about painting terrain as well as minis. is that in the end we're really just trying to pull off an illusion. Even like GW's insanely painted and amazing stuff you see in White Dwarf and their rules, even THEIR paintjobs break down if you look at them close enough! It's really just a matter of how well you can "control the blobs" of paint and how small you can make them!

If you look at the recent pics. I posted of my dwarf army, you'll see if you look up close that my paintjobs are pretty blocky and not the neatest. But from tabletop height the detail all "pops" at your eyes in the right way, and you can get most of the same effect and satisfaction as if you had painted them much more intensely and with a lot more detail.

For all my resin buildings and terrain I use the cheapest ordinary craft paints! No need to use expensive mini. paints on buildings. Whether in America or Europe or wherever, there's the same kind of acrylic craft paints with whatever names they happen to have.

So HERE is the first big secret, all of my stonework is done with these four cheap, basic colors (with the addition of black that I don't have in the picture):

And here's the exact mixes for the base stone colors: I use three basic base colors using these three mixes - orange/brown, green/brown(with a little white to vary the tone, but not necessary), and black/white:

I also use a fourth base color that's just a straight darker gray from another bottle without doing any mix, for a total of four base colors.

I always use black primer on my buildings so that there's shading anywhere you might miss painting. Then it's just a matter of going in and painting the stones one at a time! (which may drive you insane so take lots of breaks). It's easiest to just pick one color first and paint as many stones in that color, then move to the next color until they are all filled in. Unfortunately there's no way to shortcut this, it's tedious and boring and no way around it!

Once you've got all the base colors done it always looks kind of goofy because the colors are so bright. To tone them down I use a brown wash which is strong enough that it dulls down all the brightness but not so strong that it starts to cover the actual base colors. The end result as you see here are stone colors that are nice and muted and dulled and look like real stone.

The final step is the easiest. I just take a straight white paint and very, very lightly drybrush/feather dust the entire stonework on the whole building. You could also use like a light gray or tan paint color for the drybrushing to vary the look slightly.

Here's a closeup of the side door of that building so you can see the colors and the final wash and drybrushing effect:

Just for reference, here's the same exact technique used on a windmill that I painted earlier this year. Again, it's pretty much those same basic colors with a wash over it. For this however I did vary the colors and used more orangey browns, and I did do a couple layers of washes and several highlights, I was trying to achieve the kind of that look you see in historical castles and towers that have multiple colors of stones, this one in particular (not sure what country this is in, I pulled it off of Google):

So that's pretty much it! As far as the wood goes, I do a very simple technique for wood. I simply mix a brown and gray together to make like an antique sort of oldish looking color, or I'll use a brown color straight out of the bottle if I think it's the right shade. Then it's usually nothing more than a single drybrush highlight over the wood grain, of the base color mixed with white, or even just straight white works on wood as well if it's done lightly. I usually don't bother with washes when dealing with wood because I've never found it to be necessary.

The roof is done the exact same way as the wood, same principal. In this case it was a base color of dark green straight from the bottle, and just one highlight of the base green mixed with white.
      There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!

The post was edited 4 times, last by Baranovich ().