Pinned Guide on how to convince "doubters"

• Just remember we are in 1.x the final version will be 2.0. And during the transition there will be a lot of areas that are pure nonsense, until the next patch ;). But the core doesn't change, its an amazing game, with the biggest support, not only community driven, but also commercial, as there are over 20 companies making models for T9A, and hundreds of people working on the rules and back round. That is more than any other game out there, and we will achieve more in a shorter timespan than any other. As the project is still in its infancy, just imagine when it is full grown.
  • notKanadian wrote:

something about something to do with the game not being finished but all the effort people put in makes it better than everyone else's attempts or will be in future
    I paraphrased. :thumbsup:

On a more serious note:

The game isn't finished and has currently gone through a number of fairly major changes that have cut out a lot of things that previously existed to be able to make room and create a more viable foundation for what is going to be implemented.

It will get better in future, how much better you'll just have to wait and see, but giving feedback will only help make the game better and make that better game happen much sooner than if you stay quiet.

The post was edited 1 time, last by theunwantedbeing ().

• Dude its like software, its never finished, your windows is being patched and worked on for more then 20 year now. But you don't say well I'll just wait until the final version, no you get a computer and you upgrade your windows, actually now it does it by it self. Sure there are version releases exc. but is the same thing evolving.
    A finished product is the one you buy play a few times, and then forget as there is noting new to it, that is the worst thing you can get in to, as it gets boring really fast.

The main difference is a stable version and an unstable version. A stable version will be 2.0, until then expect bigger changes and sizeable tweaks. There were 8 versions of WHFB, with a few corrections along the way, this meant that the big flaws were there for the next 5 years, until the new version, witch again had huge flaws, and they were around for another 5 years. With T9A its much much better, as fixes are fast, ad you don't have to wait 5 years (5 years is GW's average release rate, that is how long it takes them to go from concept, to ready product). With T9A you get 2 years for a stable version, while WFB was always a train wreak as far as the rules went.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kanadian ().

• altzgames wrote:

if this is truly a thread on how to convince doubters..that job would be much easier if the army's were balanced. as it is now I see no balance whatsoever. I play several armies (undead/skaven/chaos). There is no way the undead can match dark elves. Also another of my regular play team has wood elf's and the fact that they can only have 25% archers makes them a joke compared to other elves. The lists need to be balanced before you will attract new players, I would have thought a lot of players are old 8th edition players and are somewhat used to armies not being equal, having said that It was only some armies that were op in 8th. all it needed was skaven and bretonians brought up and high elves brought down to balance. 9th age just does not feel anywhere close to being balanced imho. I have since stopped trying to get new people involved as it is still a game very much influx, I will wait till the rules are a bit more settled and then see if the balance problem is still there, or have to house rule it to get a balanced game. That being said I would prefer a game that was slightly imbalanced where each army had a set feel to it than a completely balanced list where it doesn't matter what army you take as they all operate the same.

just my 2 pence worth.
    alan
    I would take 1.2 over 8th edition any day when it comes to balance
  • yrtomin wrote:

altzgames wrote:

if this is truly a thread on how to convince doubters..that job would be much easier if the army's were balanced............just my 2 pence worth.
    alan
    Agreed wholeheartedly, I played my first game of 1.2 Monday and ****s all over 8th. It was genuinly thrilling and could have gone either way right up to the very end, due to the fact that the refined rules are just a class above any of the editions of WHFB I played, even in this transitional phase. My only gripe is bound spell proliferation and how conventional mages are ill equipped to deal with it. My gentleman opponent (DH) got at least one out of a choice of three off each turn. My oracle managed 1 spell the entire game and she doesn't have the utility if being any good in combat, unlike a runesmith. Im not saying DH should take hit from the nerf bat but conventional mages should not be so ill equipped to deal with non-Mage bound spell lists.
    #freekillerinstinct Killer Instinct for all Dread Elves!

The post was edited 3 times, last by Nemeroth ().

• Nemeroth wrote:

yrtomin wrote:

altzgames wrote:

if this is truly a thread on how to convince doubters..that job would be much easier if the army's were balanced............just my 2 pence worth.
    alan
    Agreed wholeheartedly, I played my first game of 1.2 Monday and ****s all over 8th. It was genuinly thrilling and could have gone either way right up to the very end, due to the fact that the refined rules are just a class above any of the editions of WHFB I played, even in this transitional phase. My only gripe is bound spell proliferation and how conventional mages are ill equipped to deal with it. My gentleman opponent (DH) got at least one out of a choice of three off each turn. My oracle managed 1 spell the entire game and she doesn't have the utility if being any good in combat, unlike a runesmith. Im not saying DH should take hit from the nerf bat but conventional mages should not be so ill equipped to deal with non-Mage bound spell lists.
    I am sorry I have to strongly disagree, if you as I said ignore bretonia skaven and high elfs, 8th was mostly balanced. yes magic was too powerful but it wasn't a game killer. In 1.2 shooting has all been but killed, the table clutter and the fact that most armies are limited on shooting units, they really don't have the impact, take that with the fact that magic has been watered down (which I stated, that I thought it should have been). this means close combat armies are untouchable, I have played many games of 8th and also 1.2 most of my 8th edition games went down to the wire. 1.2 I have often been tabled with my undead by turn 2-3. dark elves hitting on 2's rerolling 1's with 4 attacks each in the front rank followed by 20 support attacks = 60 attacks with the fact that they are poison attacks they walk through 60 zombies or 40 skeleton's even 40 grave guard, mostly in 1 turn 2 at most. often overrunning into any unit that is in the way. at least in 8th you had some shooting to try and take them out before they got in, or magic to try and hurt them before they got to you. Now the only thing you can do is put a block in the way and watch as they take it out in 1 turn. Another of our regular players takes ogres and even these get destroyed by hordes of witchelves. Sorry but there is no balance in elves vs undead, and if its dark elves I'm not really sure what army would stand up to them. Wood elves used to be able to have loads of archers but they are limited to 25% so even they struggle vs dark elves.

sorry but we have several players here we play undead/skaven/wood elves/chaos/dark elves/ogres. not sure what armies you think are balanced but undead vs any of them struggles. that imho is not balance!

alan
  • I'm surprised no one has mentioned wikipedia.

Who would have thought that a massive crowd sourced encyclopedia consisting of volunteers, without any profit base, would become one of the most cited sources ever?

I was skeptical at first too, but as more people jumped on I did too and have enjoyed learning about the process and rules.

Only piece of advice (having over 7 years in direct sales) is the concept will sell itself if you don't bog them down with 'It's great but this one thing needs to be fixed'.

It's a volunteer based (think wiki) fantasy game with a balanced play set (since they're not trying to profit on rules and models) and the ability to use any models you want. Enjoy the hobby and the living rule book knowing if you want to see change it's just a matter of joining the community and stepping up to the plate.
  • Shortbeard wrote:

Er, the post above sent me straight to the Wikipedia entry for 9th Age. It's terribly short and is about to get deleted due to a lack of secondary sources. Maybe we should do something about that?

I would write the entry myself, but I don't think I'm sufficiently knowledgeable about the intricacies of the project...
    Feel free... I think this is just a matter of men power and time
    Our PR team is terribly overworked and so are most of the higher ups.
  • Shortbeard wrote:

I would write the entry myself, but I don't think I'm sufficiently knowledgeable about the intricacies of the project...
    Please go ahead.
    You will find plenty of official information in "About us", feel free to copy/paste as much as you think useful.
    The first experience showed that a single source of reference is not convincing.
    The more links to news from other sources, the better - unfortunately I do not know any. Maybe Bols?

Social Media Team

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • Shortbeard wrote:

Er, the post above sent me straight to the Wikipedia entry for 9th Age. It's terribly short and is about to get deleted due to a lack of secondary sources. Maybe we should do something about that?

Glad I brought it up. that would have been bad.