Arrahed's Sylvan Elves

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• arnadil wrote:

The Thicket Beasts are stunning. Holy Moly! I cannot wait to see them on the table.

My personal favorites are the champion (why is he not in the first rank?) and the two stone throwing guys in the first rank.
      I thought exactly the same thing until I realised that it's a side on shot.

Lovely work what GS work are you not happy with? Looks really good painted
      Highborn Elves - Humble Beginnings Project Log
      Highborn Elves - 2.0 Here be Dragons Army List & Playtest
      Forever best of friends RIP Mum 16.12.17
    • Necrosis wrote:

Lovely work what GS work are you not happy with? Looks really good painted
      Thanks. The level of detail is slightly off on the green stuffed parts. I created the wood grain by simply cutting into the green stuff with the modeling tool. That created rather fine detail and sharp edges.
      The rest of the model is pretty smooth with rounded edges everywhere. This is particularly visible at the place where the arm blade is connected to the arm. The grain on the blade is much more 'busy' and looks slightly off.
      But maybe I am just too critical. :D

arnadil wrote:

My personal favorites are the champion (why is he not in the first rank?) and the two stone throwing guys in the first rank.
      I tried several unit configurations. If I place the unit champion in the first rank too, he will look extremely similar to the Thicket Sheppard. And placing the guys with their arms raised above their heads anywhere else, they are either right next to each other, or being much too tall. In the end, this is pretty much the only configuration that works. :D
    • Arrahed wrote:

arnadil wrote:

I tried several unit configurations. If I place the unit champion in the first rank too, he will look extremely similar to the Thicket Sheppard. And placing the guys with their arms raised above their heads anywhere else, they are either right next to each other, or being much too tall. In the end, this is pretty much the only configuration that works. :D
      Ah, to bad because obviously the champ must be in the first rank rulewise. But whatever! This unit is a total eye catcher.
      Say thank you to the 9th Age team for their effort and for the great game they created:
      Thank you thread
      Positive thread
    • arnadil wrote:

Arrahed wrote:

arnadil wrote:

Ah, to bad because obviously the champ must be in the first rank rulewise. But whatever! This unit is a total eye catcher.
      It will work on the tabletop, it is just not as pretty. :)
    • I spend the last few days painting the Treefather Ancient proxy I showed in its unpainted form last week.
      The model was standing on the shelve unpainted for over six month now and I could never bring myself to painting it. Mainly because I was a little bit scared by the task. :)
      First of all, the model is quite big - almost(!) comparable to my dragon model.
      Second of all, the style of the model is quite different from the rest of my Sylvan models. That means that I would need to make it fit to my army via the paint job, and I wasn't sure how to do that. I had a few ideas though:
      • Use mainly green and brown colors to highlight the Sylvan theme.
      • Use fewer colors than usual. The model would stand out as it is. No need to use complementary colors or things like that.
      • Hope for the best.
      Since I need the model painted for an upcoming tournament, I decided to simply jump in and figure out how to implement these things on-the-fly. :)

I started with 'blocking in' a few colors. Mainly painting brown areas brown, skin areas skin-colored, and then blending them together with a dark olive green. The skin areas looked surprisingly nice. Using olive green as the shadow color here created a really nice spirit-like effect.

The brown parts were more complicated than I thought. The texture and details of the model simply didn't look like wood. Especially the large mutated arm didn't look right. The arm is huge and almost flat. There is surface detail, but the piece as a whole is pretty much two dimensional.
      At some point I simply decided to try something weird. The arm looks alien anyways so I tried making it look as strange as possible without using other colors. My idea was to paint the arm as if it were metal, but instead of using the appropriate colors (gray/white for white metal) I used brown colors that I also use for painting wood. I basically painted non-metallic-wood, if that makes sense.
      The result looks as strange as it sounds: something straight from an alien space ship. :) However it did fit the model and it also fits the rest of the army due to the color selection. I stuck to that painting style for all the other brown parts too.

I decided to add the same yellowish-green glowing effect that I used on my Thicket Beasts to this model as well. The surface is covered with eye-like surface details that worked very nicely as the source of an alien glow. It also allowed my to add some interesting details to the model without making it stick out too much.
      I used the same yellow-green colors on the sword to tie everything together.

Now all I needed to do was covering up small mistakes, refining the skin tone, darkening occluded areas, softening transitions... all that stuff that takes a few minutes on a normal size miniature. I spend a half a day doing that here. :D

So without further ado, here are the images:

The strange metal-wood effect is visible on her large left arm.

I am quite happy with the prominent glowing effect on the forehead. The eyes are pale-green and iris-less on purpose. An earlier version had a pupils and iris. That made the face look surprisingly human, which didn't look right.
      And yes, it does feel weird to take close-up pictures of female daemon breasts. :D

For her hair I went with a silvery-green effect that turned out very nicely in my opinion. I used the same color gradient on the flaming part of the sword and the flames at the sword hilt. It is also the same color I used for the eyes.

This image shows the glowing effect on a darker part of the model.
      It also shows nicely how the dark-green shadows work with the skin tones.

And, in case you are wondering, a size comparison to a Forest Ranger model. :)

I hope you like the model.
      I was very unsure whether I would be able to make that model fit the style of my army, but I think I succeeded. The model looks strange and alien enough to stick out, but not overly so. The goal was to create a daemon-possessed tree, and I think it somehow looks like that.
    • Feanor83 wrote:

I had my doubts about the model but it turned out realy great. Realy looking forward to see it live. One small thing, why are the nippels pink? Should they not be a darker tone of green (stronger pigmented skin)? Makes them look more humaniod though.
      How do I put this delicately without sounding sleazy?

I tried a lot of different colors. They were greenish in the beginning. I wasn't really happy with them, so I added a little bit of brown and red. They are actually much less pink in 'reality'. The camera captured them from an unflattering angle, showing some 'color bleeding' where I wasn't careful enough with the airbrush. The effect is much more subtle on her left breast, and even less pronounced when looking at the model from above. :)
    • It is time for another short blog update.

I was planning to finally get to painting my Lizards, but somehow there are always some pointy-eared guys getting in the way. :D
      Last time it was because of an upcoming tournament (which was awesome by the way. I placed 9th of 24 with my weird Treefather list I posted earlier. :D ), and now I desperately needed a Druid since Dryad Matriarchs got nerfed badly. Luckily, I made good use of Mierce's last discount offer and got me some pretty models. Here are some pictures of them naked and paintless:

And here is my future horse mounted Wild Hunter Princess: (Not a Druid, I know. But when I ordered, I didn't know that horse mounts were about to be nerfed :) )

As you can see, the models have quite a few gaps that need to be green-stuffed. Also I wasn't happy with their default weapon choices. The Wild Hunter model comes with a claymore-like weapon, which I think doesn't really fit the Elven aesthetic. I replaced it with a spear as can be seen in the upcoming pictures.
      The Druid came with a small sword fitting the Darkland's time period: short, broad, and overall not really elegant enough for a Druid. In the end I also replaced it with a spear from a Heath Rider sprue. (Actually, this conversion wasn't planned. The material used for this model was somewhat different than other Mierce models, and was super brittle. While cleaning the sword piece, it broke into three pieces, and I was forced to come up with a solution. :D )

Color wise, I was quite happy with the glowing effect I painted onto the tree spirits. Since the Druid is currently casting some kind of spell (I am sure it is Raven's Wing, so please, RT, give us access to Raven's Wing ;) ), I wanted to add some glowing effect to that side of the model. The rest of the model is painted in pretty standard brown and green colors.
      The Mierce models are a little bit smaller in scale than the typical GW model. You can see that when looking at the oversized hand holding the spear. :) In order for the Druid to stand out in a crowd of GW models I wanted to put her on a slightly elevated base. Luckily, I have a small stash of MicroArts bases before they stopped production of the rectangular ones, and I found one perfectly suited for the purpose and pose of the model.
      Long story short, here are the pictures of the finished model:

For the Wild Huntress I chose similar colors. The big challenge here was the positioning of the spear. The spear itself is made out of some brass rod, a sword from the Eternal Guard sprue from GW, and some 'vines' made out of green stuff. The problem was connecting it to the arm. As mentioned before, Mierce's models are much more realistically proportioned, meaning that arms and hands are super tiny. In this particular case, the arm is also directly cast onto the hair, making repositioning via hot water impossible. Using a saw to separate arm and hair would not work, because the saw would take away too much material.
      I tried many different ways, but in the end I decided to cheat and simply cover the weird posture of hand and arm with a few green-stuff modeled feathers. Here is the final result:

I also worked on a different project for a while. My wife got me a Phoenix model for Christmas. I guess she never forgave me for not painting my Dragon model red, so she insisted that it has to become a Fire Phoenix, and since it was a gift, I had no choice. :D (I like the fire version better anyways. Frozen Phoenixes make not sense :P )
      However, I don't particularly like the GW Phoenix model. It looks so rigid and un-dynamic, not like something you would see on a battle field. I decided to change that. How hard can it be to reposition a few pieces, bend the winds and fill in a few gaps? Very difficult as it turned out. :D
      Plastic is not a particularly great material when it comes to this kind of conversion. It is very rigid and hard to bend, and when it finally gives in, it is prone to breaking in weird ways. I don't have pictures of all steps in the conversion process, but I do have some pre-green-stuffing, and one of the final conversion:

As you can see, the neck has a huge whole that needed a lot of remodeling. The legs were basically cut into short segments, and then put back together at an angle.
      Here is the final conversion:

I hope you like it. I am definitively looking forward to painting this guy. (Putting my Lizard project on hold further ^^ )
    • That is going to be by far the best looking Phoenix that ever graced a table. I’m a big fan of the GW model but agree that it looks kinda static and like it’s cruising at 1000 feet. Your adjustments pretty much just brought it to life!
      "The combination of lemon and habenero peppers was confusing to me. I will pay for this tomorrow i think." - Rosanjin Scholar, Iron Chef
    • Siphirath9 wrote:

Hope this thread is still going. Crazy good work. Love the painting.
      Thanks. :)
      The army is still growing, but I had to focus my hobby time on other things for the last few weeks. I am working on completing my circle of Druids, though: one model for each Lore option. Dedicated models for Druidism and Shamanism will be next.