Professionally printed Magic cards

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Professionally printed Magic cards

Hello all!

I have been investigating for a while a way to print the magic cards for the game by a professional company. The best I have found until now is a US-based company call The Game Crafter, which offers an easy way to print various game components on card sheets, among others.

As a result, I have created a dedicated T9A page on their website: thegamecrafter.com/games/the-ninth-age
    [July 21st] The cards now also exist in German! thegamecrafter.com/games/the-ninth-age-german-edition

There, you can order the magic cards printed on cardboard - or, as The Game Crafter says, "305gsm black-core card stock (as is used in popular trading card games like Magic: The Gathering)". You will get the full set of 205 cards in one go, for $25.99. Postage to US is cheap enough (according to @nicreap, total price is "about 35 shipped for the full deck"), though it's much more costly for Europe (postage for my set was $35.31!), so if you can group orders, it's probably best!

I will stress an important point - cost. I absolutely intend to make NO money out of those case, but The Game Crafter requires that games are sold with a price ending in .99. Thus, the current price currently split as:
    - production cost: $25.01
    - The Game Crafter margin: $0.29
    - remaining margin: $0.69
    This remaining margin will be credited to my TGC account in a first time, but you have my guarantee that I will refund this to The Ninth Age via the donation system.

Additional information: I'm looking at organizing a bulk order. This should reduce manufacturing costs, and maybe help with postage to Europe. If you're potentially interested, please wait before ordering.

Finally, a quote from The Ninth Age page on The Game Crafter. Please read carefully!
    Magic cards for ALL spells in The Ninth Age game.These cards are for version 1.0 of the game, published on April 30th, 2016.
    To play the game, you will need the full rules, which can be downloaded for free on www.the-ninth-age.com.
    Please note that these cards will be valid until the next update, which will be worked upon as soon as September 2016. It is unknown at this time how many of them will change, and it is even possible that all of them will be obsolete after this update. However, if a limited number of them need reprinting, I will publish an 'upgrade pack' which will contain only those cards and will be available for cheaper than the whole set.
    These cards are NOT endorsed officially by the project. Printing them here is a personal initiative made at no profit for me.
    For any further question, please contact Iluvatar on The Ninth Age forum.
    Important information about pricing:
    This full set of cards has a production cost of $25.01, but is sold at $25.99 for technical reasons. The $0.98 are currently split as:
    - $0.29 for The Game Crafter
    - $0.69 for my TGC account
    My intention is that I make no benefit of it - and the T9A license does not allow it anyway. Thus, the full benefit of any sale of this set of cards will be awarded to The Ninth Age, either through a direct transfer from TGC to their Paypal account, or by a donation as per Donation overview - The 9th Age [www.the-ninth-age.com] (details are still being worked upon). If, after buying these cards, you wish to have your name featured on the Donations page as you have a right to, please send me a message here or on The Ninth Age forum.
    Note 1: the donation amount may evolve as games are sold. As more sets of cards are sold, The Game Crafter reduce their prices, and consequently the donation percentage rises.
    Note 2: this has been discussed with the Executive Board and the Advisory Board of The Ninth Age.
    Remarks are more than welcome!

Cheers,
    Iluvatar
    T9A vacations on going. Not available on the forum.
    For any admin matter, please contact @tiny or @Grimbold Blackhammer.
    For any matter related to French translation, please contact @_Gg (Groumbahk).
    For any matter related to magic cards, please wait until I'm back. They're finally done! See the Beta Rules tab or Professionally printed Magic cards

The post was edited 2 times, last by Iluvatar ().

• Questions and Answers

Well uh, I like the concept a lot. I'd definitely buy them (depending on quality), but would it be possible to have an European solution as well?
    I have looked for other companies providing a similar service, bur I sincerely haven't found any. It hurts me too, since I live in France, but
    the alternatives I've found are more expensive than the game + postage at The Game Crafter...
    I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a website in mind though!
    How long will it take to receive my cards?
    Unfortunately, The Game Crafter has no guaranteed delivery date - it all depends on the current status of their order queue, staffing, etc. You can have an estimate on this page: thegamecrafter.com/status; currently, it states that a game ordered today (July 13th) will be shipped approximately on July 25th
    However, there is a chance it may be faster. When I ordered my test set, it was shipped the following date (and I received it a week later - shipping to France). When @nicreap ordered his set, it was printed within 2 days.

Edit on July 21st: latest orders have been shipped 4 working days after the order.
    For any matter related to magic cards, please wait until I'm back. They're finally done! See the Beta Rules tab or Professionally printed Magic cards

The post was edited 2 times, last by Iluvatar ().

• Bulk order process

I will make a bulk order of the cards to lower shipping prices to Europe. Dates are short though - I'll be on vacation between August 9th and August 23rd. So I need to make sure I receive the cards before this...

Thus, I propose the following dates for anyone interested:
    - state your interest in in this thread before July 23rd.
    - depending on the number of orders, I will compute the prices for everyone and PM them to everyone involved.
    - Participants will have until July 27th to confirm their order, send the required amount to my Paypal account, and PM me their addresses.
    - I will order the cards on July 27th evening. No later than that!
    - as soon as I receive the cards, I will ship them to Europe.

Warning 1: I don't know the shipping prices from France to Europe yet. Will update ASAP. Count around 8 euros for UK for instance.
    (see update below)

Warning 2: since I will order the cards, your money must be on my Paypal account so I can pay... I know this is a big trust you have to put in me, but I have no idea how to do this otherwise. Anyone having another solution/idea is more than welcome to explain it here!

Update, July 17th:
    Shipping to any EU country (UK included :rolleyes: ) or Switzerland is 8 euros + envelope price. I'll count 9 euros total below.
    For 2 sets, count 16 euros.
    For 3 to 5 sets, count 18 euros.
    For 6 to 10 sets, count 23 euros.
    Other countries - I'll check on demand.

Current prices, calculated on a basis of 1$ = 0.906€:

Number of ordersCost in $Cost in €Individual cost
    No shipping
    Total price
    4$161.88146.66€36.67€45.67€
    5$191.91173.87€34.77€43.77€
    6$221.39200.58€33.43€42.43€
    7$254.09230.21€32.89€41.89€
    8$280.35254.00€31.75€40.75€
    9$309.84280.72€31.19€40.19€
    10$325.44294.85€29.48€38.48€
    15$461.37418.00€27.87€36.87€
    20$583.43528.59€26.43€35.43€

Have currently expressed their interest:
    @Shadeseraph - Spain
    @Thorsen - Italy
    @wazlawik -Germany
    @lamronchak - France
    @Fantabrice - Switzerland - 2 sets
    @Petterwass - Sweden
    @Ragnar - Sweden
    @swampsheep - Denmark

The post was edited 9 times, last by Iluvatar: Updated shipping prices. ().

• Ya, I will post some images and reviews of the cards later today, I love them and all my opponents at my tournament this past weekend were asking about them.
    “You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.” -Lan Mandragoran, EotW

UD Army Community Support

Playtester

Supreme Death Cult Hierarch

Dovie’andi se tovya sagain.
  • Thank you for sharing this information. I just ordered a set and after shipping costs (in the US ) it was less than $34. As stated above, my estimated ship date is July 25th. It also said that I was #320 in the que. I'm not entirely sure what that means but if it means that there are 319 orders of the cards before me, its nice to see this company getting this kind of support for a T9A product. Thanks again and I look forward to my cards arriving.
  • Is suspect it means there are 319 other orders of anythign at all off their site.
    “You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.” -Lan Mandragoran, EotW

Playtester

• It's what nicreap said. ;)
    But it said approximately the same when I ordered, I think...
  • yoye wrote:

We aré in july, until they arrive it is august, so they ll work for 2 months . I LOVE the idea but personally i think it would be better just after september update
    Of course it's a bit late. Thus the warning in the message. :)
    But:
    1/ I'll update the cards after the next update, of course.
    2/ September is the date when rules will be discussed again. We don't know exactly when a new version will be published - could be October, or even November if needed... But of course, it could also be September. So no guarantee...

yoye wrote:

Just as a curiosity for september they could print hardback versions Of the books? Or only cards?
    Nope, nothing will be organized by T9A itself. It has to be a personal initiative, just like these printed cards.
    Nothing official can be provided, because it would likely cause uproars when rules are updated...
  • Updated post #3 for the bulk order.
    Not a great post, but I just don't have time for a better one now. :P
  • Whoops forgot about the review, I just set my self an a;arm so I do it after work.

Playtester

• Nice Idea.

Actually Oncebitten and I are rolling out a comprehensive "supplement" set in Aug with amazing artwork, including magic cards and tokens for every race etc etc.

(To note: They will be free to anyone who is a supporter to his youtube channel and will be very reasonable costed otherwise. (help keep it going) Also shipping to Europe will be minimal.

I am eager to see how gamecrafter works out for you, I have looked at them for publishing some board games I have been affiliated with, but decided against in the past due to their rumored quality control but this certainly perks my interest and I hear they have improved things. Maybe i'll have to order a set for a look. :)

Regards
    Jerry P
    WFB USA Masters
    (Former Chairman & Founder)
  • Hey Digger!

Yea, I saw that; but I'm in the industry so it's not too much a bother for me to have some made up, and figured I might as well make something available all since its getting done regardless. ( as an aside, I am always supportive of TOs as well if they need prize support. Trust me as a huge proponent of the community, after the challenges and *abuse* ;) I suffered running the first couple of US Masters, this is child's play)

Exciting times for 9th age, I am happy that OB drew me out of retirement. I'm on board and love the energy everyone has.
    Either way, sorry to be off topic, see everyone at the tables. :)